Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 is indeed an MMORPG, and it sounds pretty great! - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    klash2def said:
    Interesting because before all of those games there was GW1. It's listed an MMORPG. It does the same instancing less MP thing as GTA Online, or Destiny etc
    I played GW1, people tended to call it CCO, Competitive-Cooperative, Online Game, or Co-RPG.

I've always saw the MMO term around but when discussed in depth the terminology was more specific.
    klash2def
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    MaxBacon said:
    klash2def said:
    Interesting because before all of those games there was GW1. It's listed an MMORPG. It does the same instancing less MP thing as GTA Online, or Destiny etc
    I played GW1, people tended to call it CCO, Competitive-Cooperative, Online Game, or Co-RPG.

I've always saw the MMO term around but when discussed in depth the terminology was more specific.
    Same, I played too. I remember people simply calling it an MMORPG, there weren't all these different categories back then.

When I googled it the first thing I saw today in 2018: 

Guild Wars is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) series

So that means most people would call it an MMORPG or MMO. I never heard anyone say its a CCO. Matter of fact that's the first time I heard that in relation to GW
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    If it's a descriptor it should be able to describe what it is. I'll wait for you to do that using words without half-baked examples :) 

de·scrip·tor
    dəˈskriptər/
    noun
    1. an element or term that has the function of describing, identifying, or indexing, in particular.
      • LINGUISTICS
        a word or expression used to describe or identify something.
        noun: descriptor; plural noun: descriptors

Descriptor- a word or expression used to describe or identify something.

MMO - Type of game

LMAO - Laughing My Ass Off

Grunt grunt? Grunt grunt grunty grunt! MMO grunt grunt, grunt.
    Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt! Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt. Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt.

Translation for non Grunt Speakers: Thanks for speaking my language! it makes this so much easier. You cant accept or properly respond because you know and see that I've been right about it. 
    Dude anyone who puts this list of games "Destiny, Division, ESO, add Anthem and Fallout76" in the same sentence calling them all MMOs is just fucking nuts. Especially since I know you play ESO. Have you ever even been to Cyrodiil? How does a game with hundreds of players in one PVP fight even belong in the same sentence as Destiny, Division, Anthem and Fallout76?

Many people here can make reasonable arguments about why Destiny, Division, Anthem and Fallout76 game play can feel a little bit like some parts of true MMO game play. But you're not one of those people because the best that you can come up with is "like yeah some of us call every online game an MMO and we're the cool, hip ones." In what universe do you consider that to even be an argument that advances your definition agenda?

TFW when you don't realize ESO is a heavily instanced online game. Just like Destiny, just like Division. I cannot log into ESO and just find a person by running to them. No, I have to use travel to player... you know why? In Destiny, I cannot just log in and fly to earth and meet my friends. No, I must "join fireteam" first. Same thing with the division. You know why?

So wth are you talking about? Who said anything about being "cool or hip"  stop trying to change the narrative thanks. I'm literally telling you why and how these smaller games have MMO gameplay and you won't accept it because it's coming from me. Everything I say on this website you have always have something to say about it. You go out of your way to try and prove me wrong and end up looking lost so you try to change the narrative. Make the whole thing about something else. 

No, not today. Today you will Stay your ass on topic. It's about MMO being a Descriptor of a type of game. That's what I'm talking about. That's what it is. MMO is describing ESO, Destiny, Anthem, F76, Division all at the same time yes. That's what they are. 

You can say anything you want, MMO-Lite, New-MMO, whatever, MMO has to be in there because that's what these games are doing. 

MMO used to be a Buzzword, then it was a Genre, now its a descriptor. If you cant respond to that without changing the topic please don't respond.  
    So in other words, no you have never set foot in Cyrodiil. It explains a lot actually. None of the phasing you talk about exists there. I at least tried to explain several pages ago why this matters to my definition of MMO.

Where is your explanation of what type of game meets your definition and why and more importantly, which online games don't and why? It should be easy for you to do since, as you keep saying, MMO is a descriptor. So tell us what it's describing to you.

And BTW, if you read the article before launching into your preachy stuff about why it's just some people that can't let go of old definitions, you'd know it was Bill, not Suzie that wrote this.
    klash2def
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    klash2def said:
    Same, I played too. I remember people simply calling it an MMORPG, there weren't all these different categories back then.

When I googled it the first thing I saw today in 2018: 

Guild Wars is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) series

So that means most people would call it an MMORPG or MMO. I never heard anyone say its a CCO. Matter of fact that's the first time I heard that in relation to GW
    It couldn't be branded as one, the actual proper game-world was off-line co-op.

It's very misleading because GW1 was not more MMO than Warframe, and we don't see people labeling warframe of being an proper MMO.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    klash2def said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Okay, I don't agree that a game needs to have thousands of players online to be one MMO, but this is not one MMO.

I don't call Conan, GTA V Online, Ark, etc... MMO's, os Fallout 76 to me falls on the category of those, one online persistent game that doesn't really scale up in the MP aspect, such as say GW2 where ~150peeps per big map but thousands in total on a single game-world.
    Ohh good , another example where the Dev/Pub knows they didnt make an MMORPG , you need to contact ArenaNet and notify them of there mistake ...lmao
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    When I saw the title I figured it was not an actual MMORPG.

I mean it's not like MMO sites are lying to people for clicks.
    InteritusTacticalZombeh

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    klash2def said:

Discussion / Fallout 76 is indeed an MMORPG

I didn't write that btw Suzie did. Did you tell her it's not an MMO? If no, why? How come when I say it, its an issue @Iselin ?  

Did you think Suzie means Fallout76 is like World of Warcraft? (I doubt that's what she's saying)

I bet she's saying its an MMO as in the descriptor as in its doing the same things as the MMOs we grew up with. It has all those elements. I'm sure that's what she meant. 

So again this is an example of how people today use the term MMO when referring to a type of game.

The discussion and rebuttal of labeling it an MMO started well before the debate you and @Iselin are having.

I've yet, in numerous, numerous threads to see anyone who could explain the gaping maw of inconsistencies of the expanded definition being used.

Once folks can tell me how Battlefield isn't included, but MOBAs are, how Destiny is, but titles like Vermintide and Deep Rock Galactic aren't, in a way that does not violate it's usage regarding the other titles being included, I may be able to get on board with this nonsense.  Until then, it just seems to boil down to, again, one thing and one thing only:

"Yea, it may not be massively multiplayer, but it's multiplayer enough for me.  Erego, MMO because I'm a fan of the genre and I like this game, too."
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    JamesGoblin

• KraykaKrayka Member UncommonPosts: 28
    klash2def said:

Discussion / Fallout 76 is indeed an MMORPG

I didn't write that btw Suzie did. Did you tell her it's not an MMO? If no, why? How come when I say it, its an issue @Iselin ?  

Did you think Suzie means Fallout76 is like World of Warcraft? (I doubt that's what she's saying)

I bet she's saying its an MMO as in the descriptor as in its doing the same things as the MMOs we grew up with. It has all those elements. I'm sure that's what she meant. 

So again this is an example of how people today use the term MMO when referring to a type of game.

The discussion and rebuttal of labeling it an MMO started well before the debate you and @Iselin are having.

I've yet, in numerous, numerous threads to see anyone who could explain the gaping maw of inconsistencies of the expanded definition being used.

Once folks can tell me how Battlefield isn't included, but MOBAs are, how Destiny is, but a title like Vermintide or Deep Rock Galactic aren't, in a way that does not violate it's usage regarding the other titles being included, I may be able to get on board with this nonsense.  Until then, it just seems to boil down to, again, one thing and one thing only:

"Yea, it may not be massively multiplayer, but it's multiplayer enough for me.  Erego, MMO because I'm a fan of the genre and I like this game, too."
    The only news sources calling Fallout 76 an MMO is the misinformed author of this site and some other bad site. Every major news organization that has made a story about the game calls it what it is, a multiplayer survival game. I don’t know what’s with all the dumb people here that insist on calling this game something that it’s not and then arguing about it. There’s absolutely nothing to argue about. This isn’t an MMO, plain and simple. Just because one or two authors of bad journalism call it such does not make it so.
    Nilden said:

Eh, I think Suzie and the gang here know enough of their community to know the debate would likely be had anyways.

We like our horse cemetery.
    JamesGoblinPottedPlant22MendelTacticalZombeh

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Nilden said:

Eh, I think Suzie and the gang here know enough of their community to know the debate would likely be had anyways.

We like our horse cemetery.

Oh hell type in what is Fallout 76 in google. Come on man at some point straws are being grasped at when MMORP.com says yes indeed Fallout 76 in a MMORPG.

MadFrenchie

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    What concerns me the most about this game is something I really want to know more about. The building...

If it is instanced but you don't manually change instances.. what happens with the buildings? Could you go somewhere one day and find someone's little base and then go back there the next day and it's gone but on the creator's game it is still there?

I don't get how they are going to phase/instance this type of thing.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    edited June 2018
    What concerns me the most about this game is something I really want to know more about. The building...

If it is instanced but you don't manually change instances.. what happens with the buildings? Could you go somewhere one day and find someone's little base and then go back there the next day and it's gone but on the creator's game it is still there?

I don't get how they are going to phase/instance this type of thing.
    I guarantee that is how it’ll be. Pretty dumb way to handle a survival server, if you ask me. I guess they’re trying to innovate, but they’re doing a very poor job at it, unsurprisingly.

This whole thing reminds me of Metal Gear Survive, a cheap cash grab using old assets from a previous game.
    edited June 2018

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Is it an MMO, though? It seems far more like a survival game than an MMO. It is basically Conan Exiles in the Fallout world.....literally, down to the mechanic that allows small groups to decimate large groups via "nuke codes" instead of praying to gods for an avatar.
    JamesGoblin
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Its bascally Conan exiles set in fallout universe. The lack of npc's other than robots is a major game killer for me.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Is it an MMO, though? It seems far more like a survival game than an MMO. It is basically Conan Exiles in the Fallout world.....literally, down to the mechanic that allows small groups to decimate large groups via "nuke codes" instead of praying to gods for an avatar.
    It is not an MMO. Who knows where the author of this article came up with that.
    JamesGoblin
    Ok so I'm calling it now. Fallout 76 is a Micro Population Multiplayer Online After the Apocalypse Simulator Environment with Role Playing Game Pretensions. So a M P M O A T A S E W R P G P.

Boom.  You nailed it.  That wasn't so hard, right? :D
    [Deleted User]

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited June 2018
    The author of that article could have at least waited for the 11th when they clarified a bit of this with an interview, even going so far as noting that full mod support will be delivered to the game post-release as happened with Fallout 4 and Skyrim.
    While they use an always-online component it's not the same design as the likes of ESO, and they plan to extend to the users down the line alongside modding, the ability to host private lobbies/worlds as well.
    So unlike what the article says, Todd does actually state that there will be player-run and player modded worlds and doesn't make any claim to it being an MMO, just a form of survival title.

ScotMadFrenchie
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Should be good regardless, the Fallout series has been great on the whole.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited June 2018
    Limnic said:
    The author of that article could have at least waited for the 11th when they clarified a bit of this with an interview, even going so far as noting that full mod support will be delivered to the game post-release as happened with Fallout 4 and Skyrim.
    While they use an always-online component it's not the same design as the likes of ESO, and they plan to extend to the users down the line alongside modding, the ability to host private lobbies/worlds as well.
    So unlike what the article says, Todd does actually state that there will be player-run and player modded worlds and doesn't make any claim to it being an MMO, just a form of survival title.

I think we have a lot of wishful thinking among posters, what has been said so far by Bethesda reminds me of the words of President John Henry Eden: We can afford all we need, we cannot afford all we want. 
    Post edited by Scot on
  • VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    12 person servers
    4 person teams
     No NPCs
    No quests

Maybe we need to re-term what a classic persistent world with thousands of players is if that's the case
    NeonShadow

• NeonShadowNeonShadow Member UncommonPosts: 326
    If Fallout 76 and other games of its ilk (Ark, Rust, Conan Exiles) is what passes as an MMO these days then I'm sorely out of touch with the genre.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    I got the impression the set up will be like Conan Exiles, 7 Days to Die, Ark, etc.  How else would you have dedicated servers, dozens (not hundreds) of players, the ability to play by yourself and always online?  Seems to tick all the boxes.  Honestly I would have preferred the Destiny model over this.  Pretty darn bored of the survival build games in this fashion.  They always plateau after a certain point for me and I lose interest.

Now if we were talking a Star Wars Galaxy set up where thousands of players were building settlements over giant vast landscapes, that might be interesting.
  • dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    SBFord said:
    imageFallout 76 is indeed an MMORPG, and it sounds pretty great! - MMORPG.com News

During the #BE3 press event, Bethesda's Todd Howard took the stage to show off Fallout 76, the epic new RPG set just a decade after the bombs fell in the wildnerness of a wasted West Virginia. And yes, it's an MMO like ESO!

Read the full story here

Fallout 76 is not an MMO. I would consider it more along the lines of The Division.

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Not sure why people are so hung on the stupid definition - who  cares? MMO, not mmo, survival - whatever

Will it have fun gameplay - all that matters to me.
    I guess the same reason the Devs are hung up on not labeling it an MMORPG , simply because they realize its not one..

I dont understand why this site continulally pushes this agenda naming everything an MMO , the game will stand on its own merits as a Multiplayer/Coop game , They do not need to continue labeling things incorrectly ,.. The real question here is why is this Site hung up on mislabeling games .. ?

It doesnt make cents , and when something doesnt make cents it makes dollars , there is an agenda here , a very , unnecessary and  transparent agenda .

With the way Bill just 'announced' that it's a mmo, it leads me to two conclusions:

1. He feels the need to continue justifying the name of the site by calling everything with more than two player coop a 'mmo'. I don't know why, they moved away from covering just mmo's a few years ago.

2. Using that label on a game like this always ALWAYS creates a multi-page argument/debate over the definition of what a MMO is. This drives traffic.
    IselinMahlo