Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 is indeed an MMORPG, and it sounds pretty great! - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    MadFrenchie said:

Neither my brother nor any of his friends that play Destiny 2 consider it an MMO.

Neither did I. Then again, for me it falls way short on Partnership (the Clan is basically an extended friends list with a few perks) and Progression (lack of long-term goals beyond immediate story)

For me, that's the difference between Destiny 2 and ESO (and, potentially, Fallout 76).
    [Deleted User]
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    Gazimoff said:
    MadFrenchie said:

Neither my brother nor any of his friends that play Destiny 2 consider it an MMO.

Neither did I. Then again, for me it falls way short on Partnership (the Clan is basically an extended friends list with a few perks) and Progression (lack of long-term goals beyond immediate story)

For me, that's the difference between Destiny 2 and ESO (and, potentially, Fallout 76).
    Sorry for implying you did, then.

I'm cautious these days about requiring anything other than multiplayer capabilities when applying the definition.  To me, considering features like persistence or progression falls to the letters or words included after the MMO.  It's extremely tough to include those items as reqs without making the label less clear and consistent, because there's a multitude of different ways you can create progression, and many titles that have similar progression are far different in terms of multiplayer capabilities (as an example, Vermintide and Battlefield contain very similar progression, with individual classes unlocking weapons and other items, such as class perks, but they are far different levels of multiplayer).

• FrozenyearroundFrozenyearround Member UncommonPosts: 155
    edited June 2018
    Krayka said:
    From research and what they posted on Twitter...

Todd said there is gonna be quests. But, its only going to be radiant quests. Radiant quests 100%, no actual story

The only "NPC" will be the overseer...which is a machine and the single only source of "quests"

They said ALL humans will be other players

The quests are going to in fact not be quests, but tasks. To explore an area, to explore, get resources and what not

Its literally rust/fortnite with a fallout skin lol. Not even any quests to do and no storyline, unless you think the radiant "quests" are actual quests lol.
    Sounds like they just ripped that off from Conan Exiles and transplanted it into their next shitty game, the “tasks” that is.
    You are approaching commenting on something you don't like and think is "shitty" for 8 HOURS now.  Don't you have a game you enjoy you could play or comment on?  

I mean nothing wrong with making a couple comments to show your displeasure but repeating fallout is "shit" everything they have released for the last ten years is "shit" once an hour for 8  HOURS now is a little excessive in my opinion.  
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    DMKano said:
    Not sure why people are so hung on the stupid definition - who  cares? MMO, not mmo, survival - whatever

Will it have fun gameplay - all that matters to me.
    I can almost guarantee you it will have "fun" gameplay and decent graphics. What I can't guarantee you is will there be depth, some degree of difficulty, enough of an RPG experience, how much of a overpriced GAAS it will be, the extent of P2W elements? Lot more things than "fun" go into a good game of any sort.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Gazimoff said:

These are huge shared experience games, that offer Persistence (experience carries over between game sessions), Progression (working towards long-term goals beyond completing the immediate story), and Partnership (the ability to form guilds or clans that have an additional purpose in-game). Saying that they're not MMOs purely because of who you can see on screen regardless of who you play with is *extremely* narrow-minded.

On the flip-side, call a game 'Multiplayer' or 'Co-op', and people immediately think of games like DOOM, Starcraft or (now) Stardew Valley. Almost always takes a bit of work to set up and usually lasts for a single session. There's no implied Persistence, Partnership or Progression. The label isn't sufficient to describe the wide scope of the game. It's a label that falls waaaay short.

TL:DR If you can play with thousands or millions of people, regardless of how many are in your sharded instance, plus it includes Persistence, Partnership, and Progression, it's an MMO. 
    Been saying this forever. I imagine in a few years most games will be the shared world, games as a service type of games. That will be your "MMO" and the writing was on the wall long ago. 

For me, MMO means nothing today. Its used to describe a "type" of game.

Literally, as I keep telling people here, its a buzzword from the early 2000s. 

"MMO" as you knew it died a long time ago but most people here are too afraid to admit it. Developers aren't. That's why they don't say it anymore. The new thing that raised from the ashes is what we are seeing now, it started with games like Destiny, Division, ESO, add Anthem and Fallout76. Others will follow.

Online, Heavily Instanced, Persistent, Shared World, Game as a Service.

Don't be surprised if is treated like a modern day MMO (Cash-Shop, Persistent Progression, xpacs etc). They will never say it is one just like the others in that space. They will just treat it as such and some of you people will hold on to the "nUmBeR oF pEoPlE" argument as your game spaces get smaller and smaller. 

lol

I cannot wait for F76

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    klash2def said:

"MMO" as you knew it died a long time ago but most people here are too afraid to admit it. 

So if it's dead why is a different set of people afraid to let go of the MMO initials and keep using it to apply to this new shit? Lack of imagination in making up a term that does fit what currently exists?
    LimnicMadFrenchieJamesGoblinTacticalZombeh
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Sovrath said:

I'm sorry but this is dumbing down of the worst kind.
    How is this "dumbing down". If anything it's creating larger challenges by requiring every person to interact with his/her fellow players.

There's nothing "dumb" about that.
    Well, let's see...you know how FO 4 basically removed all RPG elements that had existed in FO 3 and before?  For example, instead of being able to talk/sneak/etc your way through objectives as you could previously, in FO 4 the lone way (usually, at least) to complete a quest was to shoot everything living?  For another example, the way in which it became possible to have all skills in all trees maxed out with enough play time, instead of having to choose as you did before?

THAT sort of dumbing down.  The sort we've seen before, and as I'm sure you know, simpler is NOT always better....as a matter of fact, when it comes to gaming, it rarely is.  So now (and again, this is very early) we are being shown another "survival" game with (apparently, at least) sorely limited quests or objectives.  The absence of NPCs will (probably) mean the absence of any story or real goals.  What, you didn't think "requiring" people to interact with others is going to expand a storyline or create anything for the thinking man, did you?  And if the game does indeed allow players to destroy other players' stuff, steal from them, and so forth....how precisely does that "create" any sort of challenge or add any type of RPG element?  I can see it creating frustration, and that's about it.
    NeonShadow
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited June 2018
    Sovrath said:

How is this "dumbing down". If anything it's creating larger challenges by requiring every person to interact with his/her fellow players.

Well, let's see...you know how FO 4 basically removed all RPG elements that had existed in FO 3 and before?  For example, instead of being able to talk/sneak/etc your way through objectives as you could previously, in FO 4 the lone way (usually, at least) to complete a quest was to shoot everything living?  For another example, the way in which it became possible to have all skills in all trees maxed out with enough play time, instead of having to choose as you did before?

THAT sort of dumbing down.  The sort we've seen before, and as I'm sure you know, simpler is NOT always better....as a matter of fact, when it comes to gaming, it rarely is.  So now (and again, this is very early) we are being shown another "survival" game with (apparently, at least) sorely limited quests or objectives.  The absence of NPCs will (probably) mean the absence of any story or real goals.  What, you didn't think "requiring" people to interact with others is going to expand a storyline or create anything for the thinking man, did you?  And if the game does indeed allow players to destroy other players' stuff, steal from them, and so forth....how precisely does that "create" any sort of challenge or add any type of RPG element?  I can see it creating frustration, and that's about it.
    yeah but not every game requires a story line.

As I've mentioned before, I have a friend who only plays Elder scrolls games. that's it. And he never did most of the quests of Morrowind or Oblvion. He told me he just didn't care about story but the immersive experience.

And he's probably one of the smartest people I know, definitely a "thinking man". PhD from Harvard and a degree from Oxford but he doesn't care about story.

sometimes being "a thinking man" is just that. You motivate yourself with your own reasons.

I'm a pretty smart cookie "for the most part" (no Phd I can tell ya) but I love the idea of a game with absolutely no story.

And I usually am the one who reads all the quests. Thing is, over the years, quests have become a bit crap for the most part. I'd much rather be dumped into a world and told "well good luck".

That to me is far more exciting and interesting.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

"MMO" as you knew it died a long time ago but most people here are too afraid to admit it. 

So if it's dead why is a different set of people afraid to let go of the MMO initials and keep using it to apply to this new shit? Lack of imagination in making up a term that does fit what currently exists?
    why do you care so much about what terminology people use? Who made you ruler of terms? 

Last time I checked things change when new information is presented.

"MMO" is a descriptor nothing more. The "MMO" genre has been dead for a while. It's a harsh reality that some just will not accept. The funny thing about time is, it does not care if you believe or not, its happening. With or without your belief. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

why do you care so much about what terminology people use? Who made you ruler of terms? 

"MMO" is a descriptor nothing more. The "MMO" genre has been dead for a while. It's a harsh reality that some just will not accept. The funny thing about time is, it does not care if you believe or not, its happening. With or without your belief. 
    Why do you use words at all if you want to randomly change their meaning? Doesn't that work only if you're talking to yourself? You might as well be using all purpose generic grunts.

Something is happening here alright but you just don't know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones.

ScorchienLimnicJamesGoblinNeonShadow
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited June 2018
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

Why do you use words at all if you want to randomly change their meaning? Doesn't that work only if you're talking to yourself? You might as well be using all purpose generic grunts.

Something is happening here alright but you just don't know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones.

LOL... "Randomly Change their meaning"  I'm not randomly changing anything. It is not random, there is a clear pattern. I'm using it as a descriptor. Which is exactly what it is.

It's changed completely since the term was introduced as a marketing term, then later adapted as a genre now used as a descriptor. I didn't personally do that, the community did those things, I just went with it. 

Early 2000s - MMO: Sold Boxes and Boxes of Online games because the internet was still new and people were buying into the fantasy of playing with people all over the world. Hence "Massively"

Mid 2000s - MMO: so many games are coming out (Everyday) using the term that it becomes a genre. Companies see the value in MMO because of the success of WoW and run with it.

2010s- MMO: MMO genre is in massive decline and starts to die. Most of them forced to go Free2Play just to lure customers in the door only to hit them with cash shop offers and the genre as a whole begins to die. most gamers start to use MMO as a descriptor of a type of game. Always online, Multiplayer, smaller, persistent world games start to be developed and released. Devs stop saying MMO when describing these games because of the negative connotation. 

2020s: Prediction: MMO Genre will be 95% dead (WoW maybe being an exception) the term will be generally accepted as a describer of a typical game. Much like saying Sports Game, and NBA 2K or Madden. People will say MMO Anthem and everyone will know the type of game Anthem was.

You don't need to tell me something is happening. I've been saying it for years. I've been saying what it is the entire time. MMO genre is dead and something new has taken its place. We call these new things MMO because they are born literally from the exact same things as the previous generation of MMO. If it were not we wouldn't call em that. I personally like the term MMO-Lite but I'm just one person.

Whatever you wanna call it the term MMO is still in there so what are you really mad at? That it's not a "TRUE" mmo? LMAO jeeze. You want us to disregard the MMO part of these games? 

You just won't accept it. It's slapping you in the face and you still won't accept it. Maybe its age idk but do you bro.

JamesGoblinNeonShadow

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

LOL... "Randomly Change their meaning"  I'm not randomly changing anything. It is not random, there is a clear pattern. I'm using it as a descriptor. Which is exactly what it is.

It's changed completely since the term was introduced as a marketing term, then later adapted as a genre now used as a descriptor. I didn't personally do that, the community did those things, I just went with it. 

Early 2000s - MMO: Sold Boxes and Boxes of Online games because the internet was still new and people were buying into the fantasy of playing with people all over the world. Hence "Massively"

Mid 2000s - MMO: so many games are coming out (Everyday) using the term that it becomes a genre. Companies see the value in MMO because of the success of WoW and run with it.

2010s- MMO: MMO genre is in massive decline and starts to die. Most of them forced to go Free2Play just to lure customers in the door only to hit them with cash shop offers and the genre as a whole begins to die. most gamers start to use MMO as a descriptor of a type of game. Always online, Multiplayer, smaller, persistent world games start to be developed and released. Devs stop saying MMO when describing these games because of the negative connotation. 

2020s: Prediction: MMO Genre will be 95% dead (WoW maybe being an exception) the term will be generally accepted as a describer of a typical game. Much like saying Sports Game, and NBA 2K or Madden. People will say MMO Anthem and everyone will know the type of game Anthem was.

I've been saying what it is the entire time. You just won't accept it. It's slapping you in the face in you still won't accept it. Do you bro.
    You need to let Bethesda know what they are making , they think they are making a Mutli/Coop game ..

Be great if you clear it up for them
    JamesGoblinTacticalZombeh
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

I've been saying what it is the entire time. You just won't accept it. It's slapping you in the face in you still won't accept it. Do you bro.
    You need to let Bethesda know what they are making , they think they are making a Mutli/Coop game ..

Be great if you clear it up for them
    I don't need to clear up anything, I think they got it right :) 

klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

You don't need to tell me something is happening. I've been saying it for years. I've been saying what it is the entire time. MMO genre is dead and something new has taken its place. We call these new things MMO because they are born literally from the exact same things as the previous generation of MMO. If it were not we wouldn't call em that. I personally like the term MMO-Lite but I'm just one person.

The term MMO is still in there so what are you really mad at? 

You just won't accept it. It's slapping you in the face and you still won't accept it. Maybe its age idk but do you bro.

If it's a descriptor it should be able to describe what it is. I'll wait for you to do that using words without half-baked examples :) 

de·scrip·tor
    dəˈskriptər/
    noun
    1. an element or term that has the function of describing, identifying, or indexing, in particular.
      • LINGUISTICS
        a word or expression used to describe or identify something.
        noun: descriptor; plural noun: descriptors

JamesGoblin

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

If it's a descriptor it should be able to describe what it is. I'll wait for you to do that using words without half-baked examples :) 

de·scrip·tor
    dəˈskriptər/
    noun
    1. an element or term that has the function of describing, identifying, or indexing, in particular.
      • LINGUISTICS

Descriptor- a word or expression used to describe or identify something.

MMO - Type of game

LMAO - Laughing My Ass Off

klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

de·scrip·tor
    dəˈskriptər/
    noun
      • LINGUISTICS

MMO - Type of game

Grunt grunt? Grunt grunt grunty grunt! MMO grunt grunt, grunt.
    NeonShadow

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

de·scrip·tor
    dəˈskriptər/
    noun
      • LINGUISTICS

MMO - Type of game

Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt! Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt. Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt.

Translation for non Grunt Speakers: Thanks for speaking my language! it makes this so much easier. You cant accept or properly respond because you know and see that I've been right about it. 

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    So, let me get this straight:  First, they crowd the market with MMORPGs.  Then, they start crowding the market with MOBAs.  Now, we're crowding it with Survival games?  FFS, developers need to quit going the route of the FOTM and just build a good game.  I'm not saying Fallout 76 is going to be terrible, but from where I'm sitting; it is yet another survival game in an already crowded market of (bad) survival games.

Hopefully they do it right, but I'm not holding my breath.  Survival games are inherently more about crafting/building than character advancement and story.  We'll have to see what they do.
    MadFrenchie

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:

de·scrip·tor
    dəˈskriptər/
    noun
      • LINGUISTICS

MMO - Type of game

Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt! Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt. Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt Grunt.

Translation for non Grunt Speakers: Thanks for speaking my language! it makes this so much easier. You cant accept or properly respond because you know and see that I've been right about it. 
    Dude anyone who puts this list of games "Destiny, Division, ESO, add Anthem and Fallout76" in the same sentence calling them all MMOs is just fucking nuts. Especially since I know you play ESO. Have you ever even been to Cyrodiil? How does a game with hundreds of players in one PVP fight even belong in the same sentence as Destiny, Division, Anthem and Fallout76?

Many people here can make reasonable arguments about why Destiny, Division, Anthem and Fallout76 game play can feel a little bit like some parts of true MMO game play. But you're not one of those people because the best that you can come up with is "like yeah some of us call every online game an MMO and we're the cool, hip ones." In what universe do you consider that to even be an argument that advances your definition agenda?

NeonShadowTacticalZombeh

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:

If anything I consider this an evolution and progression of the survival genre. It's clutched tenaciously to very crude mechanics that have a lot of room for interesting growth. Let's not hold it back just for the sake of rabble rousing. Gamers love their torch and pitchforks.

At lunch today we decided that no matter what Bethesda announced there would be angry indignant mobs.
    I don’t think it’s a question of what they make as long as they are clear about it. Just don’t set expectations that it will be a certain type of game and not deliver that experience. 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    edited June 2018
    Based upon what I have seen so far, I am excited to be able to play with friends in a Fall Out game. Now, with that said, if this turns into a GTA Online like experience....I will be out pretty fast and be very much inclined to NOT purchase another Bethesda game in the future.

Let's party like it is 1863!

Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:
    klash2def said:
    Iselin said:

de·scrip·tor
    dəˈskriptər/
    noun
      • LINGUISTICS

MMO - Type of game

Dude anyone who puts this list of games "Destiny, Division, ESO, add Anthem and Fallout76" in the same sentence calling them all MMOs is just fucking nuts. Especially since I know you play ESO. Have you ever even been to Cyrodiil? How does a game with hundreds of players in one PVP fight even belong in the same sentence as Destiny, Division, Anthem and Fallout76?

Many people here can make reasonable arguments about why Destiny, Division, Anthem and Fallout76 game play can feel a little bit like some parts of true MMO game play. But you're not one of those people because the best that you can come up with is "like yeah some of us call every online game an MMO and we're the cool, hip ones." In what universe do you consider that to even be an argument that advances your definition agenda?

TFW when you don't realize ESO is a heavily instanced online game. Just like Destiny, just like Division. I cannot log into ESO and just find a person by running to them. No, I have to use travel to player... you know why? In Destiny, I cannot just log in and fly to earth and meet my friends. No, I must "join fireteam" first. Same thing with the division. You know why?

So wth are you talking about? Who said anything about being "cool or hip"  stop trying to change the narrative thanks. I'm literally telling you why and how these smaller games have MMO gameplay and you won't accept it because it's coming from me. Everything I say on this website you have always have something to say about it. You go out of your way to try and prove me wrong and end up looking lost so you try to change the narrative. Make the whole thing about something else. 

No, not today. Today you will Stay your ass on topic. It's about MMO being a Descriptor of a type of game. That's what I'm talking about. That's what it is. MMO is describing ESO, Destiny, Anthem, F76, Division all at the same time yes. That's what they are. 

You can say anything you want, MMO-Lite, New-MMO, whatever, MMO has to be in there because that's what these games are doing. 

MMO used to be a Buzzword, then it was a Genre, now its a descriptor. If you cant respond to that without changing the topic please don't respond.  
    Iselin

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Okay, I don't agree that a game needs to have thousands of players online to be one MMO, but this is not one MMO.

I don't call Conan, GTA V Online, Ark, etc... MMO's, os Fallout 76 to me falls on the category of those, one online persistent game that doesn't really scale up in the MP aspect, such as say GW2 where ~150peeps per big map but thousands in total on a single game-world.
    klash2def

Discussion / Fallout 76 is indeed an MMORPG

I didn't write that btw Suzie did. Did you tell her it's not an MMO? If no, why? How come when I say it, its an issue @Iselin ?  

Did you think Suzie means Fallout76 is like World of Warcraft? (I doubt that's what she's saying)

I bet she's saying its an MMO as in the descriptor as in its doing the same things as the MMOs we grew up with. It has all those elements. I'm sure that's what she meant. 

So again this is an example of how people today use the term MMO when referring to a type of game.

MaxBacon said:
    Okay, I don't agree that a game needs to have thousands of players online to be one MMO, but this is not one MMO.

I don't call Conan, GTA V Online, Ark, etc... MMO's, os Fallout 76 to me falls on the category of those, one online persistent game that doesn't really scale up in the MP aspect, such as say GW2 where ~150peeps per big map but thousands in total on a single game-world.
    Interesting because before all of those games there was GW1. It's listed an MMORPG. It does the same instancing less MP thing as GTA Online, or Destiny etc