Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenPerpetuum - Community Development and Server Project

nullPointer0nullPointer0 Member UncommonPosts: 21
As some of you may not know, because it wasn't posted here, Avatar Creations (the developing corporation) is shutting its doors.
The one thing they will do before its all over is provide the server as a standalone application for players to run themselves.

Thus we announce:
https://community.sequer.nl/2017/09/24/announcing-the-open-perpetuum-project/

Please reference the main site's devblog for details on the discontinuation of development in an official capacity.
The official server will remain on, but with no clear timeline.

This is our solution to provide a persistent game universe, that we can (better) balance and create content for, in an open-source capacity, to ensure a long and growing life to a game we all know has the potential to be a great sandbox mmo.

Join our Discord and Forums!

MadFrenchie

Comments

• RynikwizRynikwiz Member CommonPosts: 20
    I am looking forward to OPP going live. I know that the people who are helping develop this initiative are former players and have a range of skills and talents that will compliment the project.

The server has just been released and they are busy at work with an ambitious program to balance, revise and add new content.

This will take some time, but for those of us who have realized this game had so much potential and contained some of the best PVP we had experienced (a lot of us are ex-eve players) it will be worth it.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    edited December 2017
    It's really too bad this game didn't take off.  It was so much like EVE that I really wanted it to succeed.

Unfortunately, they kept putting all of their eggs into the balancing act basket and never added much more interesting content to the game like new robots and new weapons and new structures.

That and they allowed a few players to get wayyyy too close to the development team, and those players essentially "special favored" their way into a dead game.  In fact, the behind the scenes scandals ended up being more interesting than the game itself after a while.
    [Deleted User]
    Indeed, there was a lot of frustration at the balance, removal of content and issues the seemed to place some players at a disadvantage.

These issues I know are also those that the OPP Dev team are very aware of. 

In this way players will start from scratch, the beginning bots will be the syndicate bots (with some tweaks). 

The world map and teleport system is being redesigned to limit the issues of the past . It will start small, but will grow.

The PVE content aspect of the game will be getting a lot of focus to begin with - including the addition of special dungeon islands with appropriate levels of difficulty and also loot. I will speak more about that at another time.

Right now they are discovering how the and what is changeable, it is early days in development. 

Well I am glad to say that OPP development is underway. I'll give a big thank you to the Dev's at AC, and to Dev Gargaj today for further patching the server.

We have some talented OPP Dev's who are finding out how things work and we are now in a stage of beginning  the development agenda with content, balance, economy and server teams all at work. What we ask for is for people to give us time to develop and know that we will release a public server when we feel the game and server is reasonably playable. 

If you have not done so, come join us and contribute your comments and idea or just join the discord.

https://community.sequer.nl/2017/09/24/ … m-project/

For those interested we have another development blog up for you to look at and be enthused by.

Please find it here:
    https://community.sequer.nl/2017/12/12/the-server-has-arrived/

The new blog is up and with the Official Server ceasing in Jan, the OPP group has proposed to accelerate their time-frame and release an Alpha Server in Late Jan. This will allow those that want to play to do so and also to test and give feedback on bugs and issues as well. More can be found herehttps://community.sequer.nl/2018/01/01/openperpetuum-server-open-pre-alpha/

https://community.sequer.nl/2017/09/24/announcing-the-open-perpetuum-project/

MadFrenchie
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    H0urg1ass said:
    It's really too bad this game didn't take off.  It was so much like EVE that I really wanted it to succeed.

Unfortunately, they kept putting all of their eggs into the balancing act basket and never added much more interesting content to the game like new robots and new weapons and new structures.

That and they allowed a few players to get wayyyy too close to the development team, and those players essentially "special favored" their way into a dead game.  In fact, the behind the scenes scandals ended up being more interesting than the game itself after a while.
    I just found this announcement. I played this game at launch and enjoyed it. But ultimately, I left because of M2S and their connections to the developers. Not because they were ruthless, but because it was if the game was developed just for them and that all the other players were their farming content. With the "secret" beta perks and all that nonsense.

Still, A highly successful mech based MMOROG wold have been awesome.

It's really too bad.
    Have no fear such idiocy like M2S has no place on this server . Indeed the dev team contains enemies that fought bitterly with each other, but are united with one motivation, to create the great game we enjoyed playing. To enhance content and player experience. That said, when in game old grudges die hard. There will be wars and battles, robots exploding, but that is why we all loved this game and want it to succeed. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I realize M2S disappeared.....but so did the player base. I think the initial damage was done and people like me felt this game was developed by insiders for the purpose of farming us non insiders.

As I said, I love the concept, and would love to see this game get a new lease on life. But I'm already playing a game currently. If something changes, or if there is a player run server that manages to hold a viable population, I'll definitely check it out.
    Ill keep you posted then. 
  • WKMitchellWKMitchell Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I will be keeping an eye on this unfortuantly I started playing late in the games life and it seemed really dead, but a reboot could be really great.
    Good to hear. The OPP Server will be a clean start for all. Please read the blog (linked above) as it will initially be in a Alpha testing phase and then wiped before opened again. A lot of work is going on behind the scenes to figure things out and with the official server closing soon, there is an increased urgency to have a sever for the player base.
    Progress is coming along nicely - bug fixing and figuring out how things work. In a newsflash from the Syndicate, they have informed us that there is a Prison with some serious faction prisoners that have taken over the island. They have hidden the access portal, disguising it as an anomaly on an island. There is a need to assassinate them and take back the island for those that can find the portal. This is not for the feint of heart. but the rewards could be very good.
    Progress is a progressing - see the link below
    https://community.sequer.nl/2018/01/18/test-event-announcement/
    Here is a taste of the OPP test battle done on the 21st Jan.  Test server opens for prolonged test on 1st Feb for a month, then closes for bug fixes and other changes. Then opens for all.

Active testing server up. For the next month bug fixing and tweaking fixes, second wave balancing soon - then server wipe and OPP Live server launching. 
    Here is a link to the latest development blog - in it you will info on the content pathway plan forward, the changes made and the live game roll out. 

https://community.sequer.nl/2018/02/25/the-road-ahead/
    nullPointer0
    Perpetuum is reborn

We are going live Saturday April 14th, 2018, 20:00 UTC.

What you need to know:
    If you don’t have a client – it can purchased from Steam
    There is no charge for playing on the OPP Server

All character data will be wiped from the pre-alpha server.
    The (pre-alpha) Live server will likely go down in advance of this time in order to prepare and verify the integrity of the live server (by 4/12).

The Live server will have the same IP, be publicly listed, and have open registration (but will now require email verification following our registration system changes on 4/8).
    There will be no further wipes or resets.

If you have played and loved Perpetuum in the past, the Open Perpetuum team invite you to come along  - you may find some aspects very familiar and others not. 

We look forward to seeing you in game.
    nullPointer0
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Best of luck to you guys with this relaunch...

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

And so it begins....

Thank you all for a wonderful launch weekend! So many new and old faces.
    We hit 100 players online! (~120 peak, will confirm after weekend is over), and stayed at 50 concurrent players in low-times.
    A excellent showing by all, corps are already spinning up, new players are learning the game, and old players are discovering all the new features.

Stay tuned for more developments, news, events, and announcements! Thank you again for all of your support, as a player, patron, community member, and advocate for a brighter future for Perpetuum!

Instructions for anyone new:
    https://community.sequer.nl/2018/04/14/how-to-connect/

And registration:
    https://community.sequer.nl/2018/04/06/how-to-register/

Things are looking good. The Open Perpetuum Server is growing. There are plans to develop further with new content and further bug fixes. 

Checkout the road map ahead https://community.sequer.nl/2018/02/25/the-road-ahead/

The Open Perpetuum Project is going strong with a new patch and further development.
    Check it out – https://community.sequer.nl/2018/06/09/month-2-perpetual-progress/

One magnificent corporation (OTHERS) has taken on the much needed role of curtailing the outrageous power projection of the infamous PHM corporation. Check this out in the humorous ‘Chronicles of OTHERS’

https://community.sequer.nl/meta/d/75-the-chronicles-of-others/3