Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early Access Review – Is the 3rd Time the Charm? - Bless Review - MMORPG.com

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    I think all reviews should be done with computers that can run at maximum settings. This is the second review I;ve seen based on popular opinion instead of what the game actually has. Reviews that cater to a populism are worthless imho
    What was wrong with it, specifically?
    He didn't agree with it, everyone else is a "populist hater" apparently.

I do agree reviews should be done on a decently good PC, would be nice if reviews contained the specs of the hardware that was used.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Early Access Review – Is the 3rd Time the Charm?

NO. Enough said.
    Scotmaskedweasel
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Optimization is much better...but still not that good. I like the way combat feels but it still needs work...like full conversion to action style for all classes as opposed to some still having tab targeting. The world, character and art design in general is good. I'll still play it from time to time and hopefully they pull through on the 3rd attempt. For now I've rediscovered Guild Wars II after barely playing it at launch. Such a beautiful game.
    MrMelGibson
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Albatroes said:
    Leiloni said:
    Why is this the only Early Access game that gets a review? That's a bit unfair. The devs have been clear for months that game was unfinished and would need a lot of work before being ready for official release. How about letting them go through that development process before reviewing it like you do for every other game?

I'm very disappointed in you MMORPG for doing this and Bill for letting it happen. I used to respect you guys for writing about a wide variety of games with a wide variety of opinions, but this is just jumping on the hate train for a game that is like any other at this stage of development.
    How many MMORPGs are in Steam Early Access outside of Bless Online? I'd say none.
    Just for accuracy's sake, here's the link for you of MMORPG's in Early Access. https://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&tags=122,1754&genre=Early Access

Some you've likely heard of:

Project Gorgon
    Tale of Toast
    Life is Feudal
    Valnir Rok
    Citadel: Forged with Fire
    Dark and Light
    AdventureQuest 3D
    Project Genom
    The Black Death
    The Repopulation
    Gloria Victis
    Kyleran
    edited June 2018
    lahnmir said:
    Sephiroso said:
    lahnmir said:
    mbrodie said:
    Neowiz honestly did nothing, neowiz told everyone exactly what to expect from the early access release, they stated multiple times it would be a beta / early access state, with end game / more content to be released after EA launched.

people hyped this game up expecting something it was never going to be at EA launch and then reality came crashing down, i'm still playing it with a big group of friends and we're having a blast, the lack of end game content atm sucks.. but the devs are commited to providing good communication to the community and are fast to release hotfixes and patches.

the concurrent users hardly speaks to what player numbers are actually like, due to the fact it's exactly that concurrent users and max daily concurrent users, that doesn't take into account different time zones etc... people who are waiting for more content, people who are waiting for class patches etc... it's just a number and as it stands it's performing a lot better then lots of other games on that list.

i knew exactly what i was getting into when i purchased this game, i didn't expect more than what i knew it would be, failing in other regions has very little to do with anything when they are trying to deliver a better newer experience to NA / EU... only time will tell if they have the chops to pull it off, but i commend them for taking the chance, owning up to their mistakes and trying to make the game better.
    This. The only thing failing was people who couldn't keep their expectations under control or decide to know better what EA is because "reasons."

Bless is exactly what was advertised. Many ignored that completely or decided the advertisement was invalid. This had nothing to do with the game being good or bad.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Bless was exactly as advertised? Really? So thats why the only class with action combat was Berserker then huh? And it's already come out that Paladin will never receive it.
    No, I mean the product Bless as a whole, an Early Acces title. Other compareble MMORPGs in that stage would be Project: Genom, The Repopulation and Otherland. Not compareble games would be: BDO, AA etc.

People want Bless to be something else then what it actually is because reasons, valid or not.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I partially agree, but there's a key difference many seem to want to ignore here: Genom, Repop, and Otherland aren't merely region ports.

In that sense, Bless is actually far more comparable to BDO (and maybe AA, can't remember if it was a region port).

Sorry, but when this isn't the title's first try at a launch but the third, you get very little slack.  Specifically when you're taking cash for early access on the third.

EDIT- not only that, but they aren't even including all the game's content at release.  They cut shit to make it easier to prepare for launch, then still released a dubious product despite that.  No, I think at this point it deserves the negative publicity it is getting.
    Not really. For one thing there are a lot of differences between Bless NA/EU and what JP, KR, or Russia had. There's a lot of changes all throughout the game, even with things as minor as questing, XP gains, and PvP ranks all the way up to major changes like combat. But the game in those regions, or at least JP and KR, I don't know much about RU, isn't even complete yet. It's been in development since Korean Open Beta just two years ago and has seen constant changes in both regions. Then they decided to introduce further changes here. This is effectively version 3 of the game at this point.

So it's definitely early access. It's existence in other regions is simply not comparable - BDO and AA had completed game versions in other regions with mere localization to do here. That's just not the case with Bless. This is a stage of the game most don't see because it's very much still in development and you can tell - and they've been up front about that for months prior to Steam release. I don't expect this game to be in a finished, polished state for at least 6 months honestly.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    Leiloni said:
    lahnmir said:
    Sephiroso said:
    lahnmir said:
    mbrodie said:
    Neowiz honestly did nothing, neowiz told everyone exactly what to expect from the early access release, they stated multiple times it would be a beta / early access state, with end game / more content to be released after EA launched.

people hyped this game up expecting something it was never going to be at EA launch and then reality came crashing down, i'm still playing it with a big group of friends and we're having a blast, the lack of end game content atm sucks.. but the devs are commited to providing good communication to the community and are fast to release hotfixes and patches.

the concurrent users hardly speaks to what player numbers are actually like, due to the fact it's exactly that concurrent users and max daily concurrent users, that doesn't take into account different time zones etc... people who are waiting for more content, people who are waiting for class patches etc... it's just a number and as it stands it's performing a lot better then lots of other games on that list.

i knew exactly what i was getting into when i purchased this game, i didn't expect more than what i knew it would be, failing in other regions has very little to do with anything when they are trying to deliver a better newer experience to NA / EU... only time will tell if they have the chops to pull it off, but i commend them for taking the chance, owning up to their mistakes and trying to make the game better.
    This. The only thing failing was people who couldn't keep their expectations under control or decide to know better what EA is because "reasons."

Bless is exactly what was advertised. Many ignored that completely or decided the advertisement was invalid. This had nothing to do with the game being good or bad.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Bless was exactly as advertised? Really? So thats why the only class with action combat was Berserker then huh? And it's already come out that Paladin will never receive it.
    No, I mean the product Bless as a whole, an Early Acces title. Other compareble MMORPGs in that stage would be Project: Genom, The Repopulation and Otherland. Not compareble games would be: BDO, AA etc.

People want Bless to be something else then what it actually is because reasons, valid or not.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I partially agree, but there's a key difference many seem to want to ignore here: Genom, Repop, and Otherland aren't merely region ports.

In that sense, Bless is actually far more comparable to BDO (and maybe AA, can't remember if it was a region port).

Sorry, but when this isn't the title's first try at a launch but the third, you get very little slack.  Specifically when you're taking cash for early access on the third.

EDIT- not only that, but they aren't even including all the game's content at release.  They cut shit to make it easier to prepare for launch, then still released a dubious product despite that.  No, I think at this point it deserves the negative publicity it is getting.
    Not really. For one thing there are a lot of differences between Bless NA/EU and what JP, KR, or Russia had. There's a lot of changes all throughout the game, even with things as minor as questing, XP gains, and PvP ranks all the way up to major changes like combat. But the game in those regions, or at least JP and KR, I don't know much about RU, isn't even complete yet. It's been in development since Korean Open Beta just two years ago and has seen constant changes in both regions. Then they decided to introduce further changes here. This is effectively version 3 of the game at this point.

So it's definitely early access. It's existence in other regions is simply not comparable - BDO and AA had completed game versions in other regions with mere localization to do here. That's just not the case with Bless. This is a stage of the game most don't see because it's very much still in development and you can tell - and they've been up front about that for months prior to Steam release. I don't expect this game to be in a finished, polished state for at least 6 months honestly.
    It's still nowhere near starting from scratch.  

As others have mentioned, the issues aren't limited to new bugs or glitches as a result of the changes.  There are things being pointed out that have been issues since the first release, from what I understand.  That's really just not excusable.

edited June 2018
    Leiloni said:
    lahnmir said:
    Sephiroso said:
    lahnmir said:
    mbrodie said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

As others have mentioned, the issues aren't limited to new bugs or glitches as a result of the changes.  There are things being pointed out that have been issues since the first release, from what I understand.  That's really just not excusable.
    Would you prefer they release a buggy game as a full release? I think Early Access is exactly what they should be doing. They admitted a long time ago that the game needed work and you seem to be agreeing with them on that. So what's the beef? They're working on it as they said they would be at this stage in the game's life. Sure it can be frustrating, but they've been upfront and truthful from the get-go. If you had unrealistic expectations, that's on you.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Leiloni said:
    Leiloni said:
    lahnmir said:
    Sephiroso said:
    lahnmir said:
    mbrodie said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Would you prefer they release a buggy game as a full release? I think Early Access is exactly what they should be doing. They admitted a long time ago that the game needed work and you seem to be agreeing with them on that. So what's the beef? They're working on it as they said they would be at this stage in the game's life. Sure it can be frustrating, but they've been upfront and truthful from the get-go. If you had unrealistic expectations, that's on you.
    Based on reviews, they likely shouldn't be taking cash at this point at all.
    [Deleted User]wingood

Leiloni said:
    Leiloni said:
    lahnmir said:
    Sephiroso said:
    lahnmir said:
    mbrodie said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Based on reviews, they likely shouldn't be taking cash at this point at all.
    Bingo,  there's the right answer. They should not be selling it until it meets a MVP standard which should be expected from 450 person studio.

They aren't 20 guys who just met 2 years ago and sitting in a warehouse coding their first title like many indie efforts, both the studio and this game have around 10 plus years or so.

They really had no business selling it at this point, but that's only my opinion. Clearly many others disagree and are happy they could do so.

I have no issue with early buyers except when they act all surprised and complain bitterly afterward as if this was beyond the realm of comprehension.

The signs of what would be delivered in EA were clearly visible. 

[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonwingood

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Rhoklaw said:
    Well, I can tell you right now, the massive nerf to player damage cross the board they did was great and all, but it truly screws over people trying to do solo missions, such as to kill Kelandra, which as a max level guardian, I can not. So, when you have decent gear, 5500+ gear score and can not complete a solo story mission, which it's been that way for 10 days now, I think it's safe to say Neowiz is in over their heads. Probably why they've already failed two other launches.
    Took me a dozen tries to kill Kelandra on my mage.  It was awful.  But don't worry Paladins can do it undergeared. 
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    You forgot to give it the " Pay 2 Enjoy" Rating for charging $26 USD for every cosmetic costume, No unlimited character editor like in BDO, and totally Tab Targeting from what I've experienced, plus LOW FPS spikes when it should cap at 144, and making users have to edit a .ini file for their pc specifications.
    Renoaku said:
    You forgot to give it the " Pay 2 Enjoy" Rating for charging $26 USD for every cosmetic costume, No unlimited character editor like in BDO, and totally Tab Targeting from what I've experienced, plus LOW FPS spikes when it should cap at 144, and making users have to edit a .ini file for their pc specifications.
    But ...no Denuvo, right? All good then.

;)

• DoctorhooDoctorhoo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    I do think is score is fair. It's not the best, nor is it the worst imo. I do like some of the stuff in Bless and am curious to where it will be months down the road after much more bug fixing and content added. Not recommending it to others to play until then. Game settings optimization and Tweaking the combo system system to make more sense would be just two areas to focus fire on with the bug fixes. Do wish them luck.
    maskedweasel
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Bless just messed up, even with dedicated devs it will take time to recover.

With Ascent: Infinite Realm that is literally Bless Online only a better version of every core aspect of it, I would poke more into that game, Bless to me feels it's not going to have a good pace of delivery in terms of content and mechanics.
  • SiniestrohSiniestroh Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Guess the majority have not play the game. And just going by what they see on twitch or you tube. Well I knw I am enjoy the game and looking forward to official launch.
    Kyleran
  • MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78

Were people actually expecting Bless to be the next BDO?

The same BDO that had a huge downward spiral in player numbers after release here, and had to resort to practically giving the game away to slow down that trend?
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Mowzer said:

The same BDO that had a huge downward spiral in player numbers after release here, and had to resort to practically giving the game away to slow down that trend?
    BDO had the downward spiral due to cash shop and server issues during node wars. The game itself is pretty good for what it's aimed at(owpvp). It's the server issues during node wars that made it nearly unplayable and their continual habit of making shit no one asked for instead of fixing server issues that they keep hemoraging players.

Neowiz's game is fucked on a fundamental level however which is different.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Ok so not a "Buy right now" for me - I kinda figured that before anyway.

Will see if they can turn it around, they could still earn my dollar
    maskedweaselMrMelGibson
  • MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Sephiroso said:
    Mowzer said:

Neowiz's game is fucked on a fundamental level however which is different.
    Fair point.  :D
    Guess the majority have not play the game. And just going by what they see on twitch or you tube. Well I knw I am enjoy the game and looking forward to official launch.
    Well the reviewer did, and he gave it a 5.5

One.of you two is in error apparently. 

Guess who it appears to be?

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    edited June 2018

Leiloni said:

Why is this the only Early Access game that gets a review? That's a bit unfair. The devs have been clear for months that game was unfinished and would need a lot of work before being ready for official release. How about letting them go through that development process before reviewing it like you do for every other game?

I'm very disappointed in you MMORPG for doing this and Bill for letting it happen. I used to respect you guys for writing about a wide variety of games with a wide variety of opinions, but this is just jumping on the hate train for a game that is like any other at this stage of development.

I have raised objections to a number of things in articles and statements made  here before but I will also give credit where it is due. A long time ago they said their policy was if you were taking money and there were no more wipes planned they would review your game as if it was launched.

This fits that criteria and they have been very vocal about it being an early access review. But if you are taking money and not in a testing phase (IE no more wipes) then you deserve to be reviewed as such. I am keeping an eye on how this one shapes up, and they do raise a number of positives about the turn around on fixes and such. If they keep that up then in 6 months or so they might have a good game on their hands and I am sure if they do they will get props from this site and others.
    KyleranMrMelGibson
  • Grendizer73Grendizer73 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    why pay for a game that it's still in beta? if not in aplha...
    Scot
  • MrG8MrG8 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Well seriously you can give a con on a EA review like the one "Lots of balance & bug issues" .. eh? Yes its Early Access, they will fix it.

But yeha the grindy part has nothing to do with EA but will probably look like that when its released, but still who knows!
    Kyleran
    edited June 2018
    I dunno, but lots of people do these days, and some even enjoy playing them, something to do with having "fun" I'm told.

Weird.  ;)
    ScotMrMelGibson

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited June 2018
    Kyleran said:
    I dunno, but lots of people do these days, and some even enjoy playing them, something to do with having "fun" I'm told.

Weird.  ;)
    From what we get told on this site, the "fun" of playing many games in EA is rather short lived.