Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 is indeed an MMORPG, and it sounds pretty great! - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Nyctelios said:

NO. It's around 12 players per server. It's not an mmo.

Wouldn't "dozens" imply more than 12.
    MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    I think this site needs to get one step ahead of the game and change their name to "The MOG LOG"
    BillMurphyJamesGoblinKyleranMrMelGibson
  • BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited June 2018
      It does seem to be more survival game, though he did say,"no matter what server you play on, your progression will not be lost." Since the other Fallouts are RPG, and after what he said that would mean this is a RPG. Most survival games are not rpg as your char only progresses with items accumalted so this could be different in that form.

He also said you can play the game Solo, but you have to be online. You can team up with friends and some people may not be friendly, and than there is the Nukes. This is giving me the impression that there will be different ways to play as in different rules sets per game. I also am under the impression that there will not be private servers. So, Im wondering if it will be like Diablo in that there is a lobby on a mega server run by them and you can create a game or join it.So maybe the  creator of each game,being the one dictating the rules of the server; Solo, PVP,PVE coop, how many players, Nuke mode.   

This is my hypothesis on this. I could be very wrong but I do hope it is something like this as that would give everyone the freedom to play the way that they want and would give Bethesda more control on hacks if they were running the servers.

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I think this might be a good game, but so tired of seeing the classic single player games being turned into this stuff. Just make a new IP and let the people the supported the IP continue to get the games they love. Basically using a well known name to bring in customers. because they are afraid a new IP want bring in the hype. Not trying to dish on this game really, don't know a ton about it yet, but really getting hard when every single IP that I love is getting turned into forced multiplayer or no single player additions to the game, looking at you mass effect.
    Asm0deusBrunlinSolancerDeVoDeVo
  • PhaedruslivesPhaedruslives Member UncommonPosts: 122
    It looks incredible. With elements of Trove, Destiny and Rust they've shown us something new and exciting and it looks gorgeous. I'm totally on board so far.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    At least its not another battle royale game like CoD and Battlefield are jumping on the bandwagon.
    Brunlin
  • AndrewGoatAndrewGoat Member UncommonPosts: 160
    A lot of my friends who are posting about this game on social media are pumped because it's in West Virginia, where we're all from. It's pretty sweet to finally get our state in a notable video game. Lots of crazy shit to explore, I'm sure. We have a lot of creepy wilderness around here.

I'm not a big Fallout fan myself, but it's cool to see it at least making waves, I suppose.
    JamesGoblinBrunlin
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Gah no private servers....guess will have to see how the pvp works out. Not keen on random griefers breaking up my camps/stuff
    cheyaneMrMelGibsonwanderica

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    But I Like my Bethesda games offline :(
    TacticalZombeh
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited June 2018
    Come on, mmorpg.com.  We all know that "dozens" of players online doesn't make for a MMORPG, at least under the traditional definition.  It might be a great, multiplayer game, but don't call it something it isn't.

mas·sive·ly
    ˈmasivlē/
    adverb
    adverb: massively
    1. 1.
      on a vast scale.
      "biotechnology is expected to contribute massively to the global economy"

lahnmirJamesGoblin
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Tod Howard can bloviate hot air with the best of them.   I'll wait to see what really shows up.  If there's no handle on the grief'n'ganksters, I won't be playing.  If it's openly co-opable by ten or twelve folks, friends may jump in.   Again, 'wait and see' are the watch words....
    Solancerwandericadarkhalf357x

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Gameplay
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    So another survival sandbox.
    JeffSpicoli
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    Shaigh said:
    So another survival sandbox.
    Yes but you keep your stuff if you die.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited June 2018
    Bethesda did what EA couldn't do this e3 ...they thew it down....all hail the new game publishing king.
    XarkoRhoms
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Iselin said:
    It's a lot closer to survival games than an MMORPG but it does sound very cool with traditional Fallout story quests built in.

What Tod Howard said in the presentation tonight that "you can carry your progress to other servers" and "you won't even notice you're in a different server" sounds to me like they'll be using something like a heavily instanced megaserver tech to handle different servers more seamlessly than what is normal in survival games.

I get what you're saying @BillMurphy, l in that this will be the closest a survival game has ever gotten to a full fledged mmoprg with respect to game play elements, size, quests and scope but I also agree with @blueturtle13 that "dozens" instead of hundreds or thousands is still a key and relevant difference between this and say the Elder Scrolls Online.
    Yep, I agree with Blue too. It's just I also don't think, outside of big sieges or cities, I've ever seen more than a few dozen players in one space in an MMO. For all intents and purposes, FO76 is going to look and feel like a Fallout sandbox MMO shooter. 

Iselin said:
    It's a lot closer to survival games than an MMORPG but it does sound very cool with traditional Fallout story quests built in.

What Tod Howard said in the presentation tonight that "you can carry your progress to other servers" and "you won't even notice you're in a different server" sounds to me like they'll be using something like a heavily instanced megaserver tech to handle different servers more seamlessly than what is normal in survival games.

I get what you're saying @BillMurphy, l in that this will be the closest a survival game has ever gotten to a full fledged mmoprg with respect to game play elements, size, quests and scope but I also agree with @blueturtle13 that "dozens" instead of hundreds or thousands is still a key and relevant difference between this and say the Elder Scrolls Online.
    Yep, I agree with Blue too. It's just I also don't think, outside of big sieges or cities, I've ever seen more than a few dozen players in one space in an MMO. For all intents and purposes, FO76 is going to look and feel like a Fallout sandbox MMO shooter. 
    Should we not apply the shared world label then?

From the description, that seems apt.  Post-apocalyptic shared world shooter RPG....  I mean, to be concise. ;)
    AsheramJamesGoblin

• KaliGoldKaliGold Member UncommonPosts: 130
    You may and probably WILL be forced into pvp, that is what people need to understand and what Todd was very vague about.
    cheyaneSolancer
    edited June 2018
    KaliGold said:
    You may and probably WILL be forced into pvp, that is what people need to understand and what Todd was very vague about.
    But once again you dont lose your stuff or progress.

And that 4chan leak said they are still working on FO5
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    edited June 2018
    Gorwe said:
    Asheram said:
    KaliGold said:

Why even have PvP if you can't lose anything though?
    To sell the game.

edit: to everyone

edit2: yes, even your mom
    Brunlin
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited June 2018
    Gorwe said:
    Asheram said:
    KaliGold said:

Why even have PvP if you can't lose anything though?

Allows for direct competition between players without the heartache of losing all your shit or time invested.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited June 2018
    I think there are a lot of reasons why they choose the Fallout 76 route verse Fallout 5. It lets them gauge the response to the game without altering the over-arching world. Everything becomes shit not long after... probably something to do with protecting yourself with a nuke or the creation of Super Mutants later in the timeline.
    To be frank, there is no way the fans would accept an unmoddable Fallout 5. They might accept an unmoddable side Fallout game.

On ESO with it's selective people visible in your play area, its a feature of the Hero Engine. Using the Hero Engine in this case was definitely a good choice. It's very easy to add story-based content with the engine.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    edited June 2018
    hmm, no modding support i guess :/ gonna be fine game if u can actually do every think solo. hope pvp is based on character skills then player skills. there is already too many fps skill games.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    can't wait to check this one out. :)
  • nameusernameuser Member UncommonPosts: 43
    RIP story. Hopefully Starfield is a good single player game with a good story.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    "No losing progress when you" I guess the missing word is 'die'?

Sounds interesting but way to early to come to the definite conclusions some posters seem to already have. :)