Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 is indeed an MMORPG, and it sounds pretty great! - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageFallout 76 is indeed an MMORPG, and it sounds pretty great! - MMORPG.com News

During the #BE3 press event, Bethesda's Todd Howard took the stage to show off Fallout 76, the epic new RPG set just a decade after the bombs fell in the wildnerness of a wasted West Virginia. And yes, it's an MMO like ESO!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Disappointed they went the grief fest route. I think I'll be passing on Fallout 76...
    KaliGoldSamhaelAsm0deuskillerqueerXingbairongDarkpigeonZenJellyAnthurkb4blubartoni33and 18 others.
  • MmoWarlordMmoWarlord Member UncommonPosts: 16
    id definitly say its more of a rust like game, you play with couple dozen of people at one time all trying to survive at the same time.
    Xingbairong
  • molepeopomolepeopo Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited June 2018
    this didn't come out as i hoped for myself
    Post edited by molepeopo on
    SolancerWylf
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Pretty much what I predicted in the previous thread.  A Rust clone is an easy win for Bethesda.  It would take very little work on their part and bring in a lot of revenue.  Nearly every component for a survival game is available in Fallout 4.  You can craft damn near anything from guns to generators to armor and build bases which is the most important part of a game like Rust.

They'll have to remove some FO4 components such as VATS targeting, cause that's not something you want in multiplayer, but really this is a no brainer for them.  Even if it fails, it cost them next to nothing to make.

Lift the crafting system out of FO4 wholesale, drop it into a new landmass (most likely West Virginia) and then make it multiplayer, which was probably the hardest part.
    EggonomiconSekhra
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    It's WAY more than Rust or even Conan. The trailers do a better job explaining it than I can.
    Rain_DeathravenZenJellyInteritusTacticalZombeh

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    SamhaelXarkoJamesGoblinMrMelGibsonwingoodWylfsevitoth

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174
    The description of just how MMOish this game is was vague. It was clear that he said that thousands of players won’t be playing together with you but instead “dozens.” Does that mean *option* for co-op?

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• KaliGoldKaliGold Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Forced into pvp just like BDO. What a disaster... im so dissapointed
    LackingMMOSamhaelZenJellybartoni33SolancerRorhcTacticalZombehThunder073PeskyDr_Binksand 2 others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I class it as an MMO and I couldn't be happier. The amount of people you'll see around you is required to fit the theme of the game, it'd ruin the game without that limitation. They've done the right thing.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Sounds more like probably 64 or so in a single game. I don't mind but I dislike open PvP. There has to be an option to avoid it.
    cheyanebartoni33RorhcThunder073desdecardoDr_Binks
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited June 2018
    I buy for the Helmet. Hope it's VR goggles.
    They didn't specifically say it was open PvP. They should have explained it properly tbh.
  • PorcelanPorcelan Member CommonPosts: 1
    so excited for this been waiting for this for years since they canceled the first attempt, i know alot of you preffer solo but also alot of us been looking fwd to this
    ZenJellyRorhcRueTheWhirl

It's WAY more than Rust or even Conan. The trailers do a better job explaining it than I can.

Agreed. Yet it is not an mmorpg. According to Todd Howard. It is a dedicated server game with a couple dozen people. Just don't want the game misrepresented. ;)  

To be fair, they also didn't/don't like to call ESO an MMORPG. Though some folks will be stuck on the number of players you'll see, I'm not. The megaserver tech and dozens, people floating in and out of your game and the world will make it seem as much of an MMO as ESO.

As others have said, I just really hope you can avoid PVP when you want to. Gimme that good ol' Fallout 3/4 questing with some friends and I'll be happy.
    Rain_Deathraven

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

Nyctelios said:

NO. It's around 12 players per server. It's not an mmo.

DOZENS. Not 12. But still, I see your point.

There are not even actual servers though. You won't pick from a list. It'll be like ESO. Sign in, play, meet and fight others.

My Review Manifesto

If the PvP was restricted to certain areas in the world, like The Division, I'd be OK with that.
    IlayaRain_Deathravencheyanebartoni33Scotty787RorhcMrMelGibson
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    It sounds more like the online mods people have made for the game. You can jump between servers.

Nyctelios said:

NO. It's around 12 players per server. It's not an mmo.

DOZENS. Not 12. But still, I see your point.

There are not even actual servers though. You won't pick from a list. It'll be like ESO. Sign in, play, meet and fight others.

Really though, you only ever see 'dozens' of players around you in ESO as well, even in towns.
    I wonder if the PVP is restricted to the nuke code hunts? And maybe some times with the camps/towns? I kind of hope so. Originally, ESO was going to let you flag PVP or PVE in preferences. They eventually moved all world PVP to Cyro, so I wonder if they could do that here in FO76.

My Review Manifesto

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited June 2018
    It's a lot closer to survival games than an MMORPG but it does sound very cool with traditional Fallout story quests built in.

What Tod Howard said in the presentation tonight that "you can carry your progress to other servers" and "you won't even notice you're in a different server" sounds to me like they'll be using something like a heavily instanced megaserver tech to handle different servers, each with its own unique state of the world, more seamlessly than what is normal in survival games.

I get what you're saying @BillMurphy, l in that this will be the closest a survival game has ever gotten to a full fledged mmoprg with respect to game play elements, size, quests and scope but I also agree with @blueturtle13 that "dozens" instead of hundreds or thousands is still a key and relevant difference between this and say the Elder Scrolls Online.
    JamesGoblin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KaliGoldKaliGold Member UncommonPosts: 130
    My impression is that you will be forced into pvp. He specifically said that if you die to another player you wont lose anything. Its just like black desert online in that respect until i hear different. 

Iselin said:
    It's a lot closer to survival games than an MMORPG but it does sound very cool with traditional Fallout story quests built in.

What Tod Howard said in the presentation tonight that "you can carry your progress to other servers" and "you won't even notice you're in a different server" sounds to me like they'll be using something like a heavily instanced megaserver tech to handle different servers more seamlessly than what is normal in survival games.

I get what you're saying @BillMurphy, l in that this will be the closest a survival game has ever gotten to a full fledged mmoprg with respect to game play elements, size, quests and scope but I also agree with @blueturtle13 that "dozens" instead of hundreds or thousands is still a key and relevant difference between this and say the Elder Scrolls Online.
    Yep, I agree with Blue too. It's just I also don't think, outside of big sieges or cities, I've ever seen more than a few dozen players in one space in an MMO. For all intents and purposes, FO76 is going to look and feel like a Fallout sandbox MMO shooter. 
    AsheramMrMelGibson

My Review Manifesto

• BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 166
    edited June 2018
    Massively must mean something different in whatever convoluted delusional reality one needs to write that title. Just call it a MOG and be done with it.
    JamesGoblinKyleranRemyVorenderLorgarnTacticalZombehdesdecardo