Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Respawn's Star Wars game

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
edited June 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Not many details, projected for Q4 2019 (holiday time).

Title: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

PC

Takes place after EP3-EP4 during the dark times when Jedi are being hunted down.

I doubt there is any reason to be excited,  because once again, EA

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/jedi-fallen-order

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Tiller said:

If EA being the publisher is the issue here, I have some pretty bad news for you.
    MrMelGibson
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    EA is shit.  They'll find a way out.  Disney has been able to get out of more game contracts than anyone I've seen.  They drop more games than DJ's drop beats.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Shouldn't have even been discussed yet. A nasty tease with little to no info. Hardly even official, like they decided to do it last minute and went over to the guy's seat.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited June 2018
    Ikeda said:
    EA is shit.  They'll find a way out.  Disney has been able to get out of more game contracts than anyone I've seen.  They drop more games than DJ's drop beats.
    You assume that Disney wants a way out.  And perhaps more broadly, you assume that Disney wants for there to be good games made based on Star Wars, as opposed to merely having the goal of selling the license as a way to make a lot of money.  EA might not be a likely candidate for the former goal, but they sure are for the latter.
    ShodanasAlBQuirky
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    MikeB said:
    Tiller said:

If EA being the publisher is the issue here, I have some pretty bad news for you.
    Well, that's depressing.
    Phry
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    All these dark depressing titles for Jedi movies and games.  They must really hate Jedi.  Let me guess the plot, a lot of Jedi will die.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    By the time this releases (2019), EA's game service will be in full force.

But... "It'll be during the DARK times!"

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    All these dark depressing titles for Jedi movies and games.  They must really hate Jedi.  Let me guess the plot, a lot of Jedi will die.
    I think marketing will see Jedi as a problem. They do not conform to a number of must haves for todays heroes. They have tricky romantic relations, if they follow their philosophy properly love is an emotion and therefore should be avoided. Today heroes must be dark, dark knight, darker Captain America and so on. Jedi only do this by going to the dark side which is too dark for a hero.

Now you can still make great stories within those constraints, but they shy away from noble white knight stories. It must be dark, it must be getting darker. :)
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Rhoklaw said:
    MikeB said:
    Tiller said:

Considering that article was written almost 5 years ago, then the good news is, maybe we only have to deal with it for 5 more.
    Until Disney says, hey, we made a lot of money from that contract, so let's renew it for 10 more years.

How long has EA had the exclusive NFL license now?  Making money by making bad games out of well-known non-gaming IPs is what EA does very well.
    AlBQuirky
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Will this game be the rebirth of that single player Star Wars game that got cancelled recently (I can't remember the name)? Or something completely different?
    --------------------------------------------
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Rhoklaw said:
    MikeB said:
    Tiller said:

Considering that article was written almost 5 years ago, then the good news is, maybe we only have to deal with it for 5 more.
    May be they will renew it for 10 more when the time comes for it to expire. It all depends on how much money EA makes Disney.

Scot said:
    I think marketing will see Jedi as a problem. They do not conform to a number of must haves for todays heroes. They have tricky romantic relations, if they follow their philosophy properly love is an emotion and therefore should be avoided. Today heroes must be dark, dark knight, darker Captain America and so on. Jedi only do this by going to the dark side which is too dark for a hero.

Now you can still make great stories within those constraints, but they shy away from noble white knight stories. It must be dark, it must be getting darker. :)
    I think a lot of movies are now going for the shock effect in terms of doing something that's never been done before and letting special effects carry a movie more than an intense story line.  They seem to want the story lines to be mostly just politically correct.
    ScotAlBQuirky[Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

Anything EA did recently has been a major disapointment, and not only for Star Wars. I'll invest my money in companies which sell good games, like Ubi Soft or Steam, not EA.

Of course, I'm still ready to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm actually kind of annoyed that one publisher has been given control of Star Wars games. They aren't doing much with the IP to be honest; at least nothing good, and I think Disney feels the same way. What we learned for their e3 conference this year? A game about Jedi still way over a year away, and more BF2 game modes. We know little of another game not even mentioned because they scraped it and went back to the drawing board, so expect that one (if at all) 4 years from now? Pathetic.

Battlefront 2 is mostly built up of stupid short multiplayer game modes where you can play as a Star Wars character along with a bunch of toxic foul mouthed hacking players. Nothing exciting to be honest.

[Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Rhoklaw said:
    Quizzical said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    MikeB said:
    Tiller said:

Until Disney says, hey, we made a lot of money from that contract, so let's renew it for 10 more years.

How long has EA had the exclusive NFL license now?  Making money by making bad games out of well-known non-gaming IPs is what EA does very well.
    kitarad said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    MikeB said:
    Tiller said:

May be they will renew it for 10 more when the time comes for it to expire. It all depends on how much money EA makes Disney.
    Between Kathleen Kennedy and Electronic Arts, I would have to say Disney has not capitalized on their investment.
    I think thats an understatement, given that Kathleen Kennedy has to all intents and purposes been sacked from her position, i can imagine that EA's lack of performance with the IP is probably being closely scrutinised, the bean counters are probably not very happy bunnies right now. ;)
    edited June 2018
    Scot said:

I think a lot of movies are now going for the shock effect in terms of doing something that's never been done before and letting special effects carry a movie more than an intense story line.  They seem to want the story lines to be mostly just politically correct.
    Yes, effects have replaced story and doing something shocking is a must it seems. It is rather like the way people ask what's different about this new MMO? A game or a film cannot just be good, they have to be different.

As for the PC element I remember when Rey was criticised for being "another super-thin actress" and some one commented that she had been scavenging in a desert for several years living of rats, what would you expect her to look like? That did make me laugh. :)
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

Yes, effects have replaced story and doing something shocking is a must it seems. It is rather like the way people ask what's different about this new MMO? A game or a film cannot just be good, they have to be different.

As for the PC element I remember when Rey was criticised for being "another super-thin actress" and some one commented that she had been scavenging in a desert for several years living of rats, what would you expect her to look like? That did make me laugh. :)
    Yeah, scavenging, and learning to be an ace pilot, expert mechanic, and weapons expert, and at the same time growing up on a desert planet with perfect skin, what a gal.
    ScotGorweAlBQuirky

• Maximus_LacyMaximus_Lacy Member UncommonPosts: 27
    How bout a re-tooled Star Wars Galaxies? 
    "The end and object of conquest is to avoid doing the same thing as the conquered." - Alexander III of Macedon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I been out of the MMO scene for awhile, so glad to hear the horse is still being beat.  Beat on, baby.
    "The end and object of conquest is to avoid doing the same thing as the conquered." - Alexander III of Macedon

It's the best way to tenderize the meat, yummy. :smile:

Welcome to the boards! Good to see old SWG fans coming into the mix. :)
    Scot said:
    Thanks!  Still the greatest game I ever played..  Hoping one day that the crafting/resource mining system from SWG will be emulated.  That player economy was soooo amazing!
    Scot
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Scot said:
    Thanks!  Still the greatest game I ever played..  Hoping one day that the crafting/resource mining system from SWG will be emulated.  That player economy was soooo amazing!
    Well soon you can play the trading card game since it's being remade lol.
    Yeah its from the NGE era, but still cool for those who liked it.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

This discussion has been closed.