Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Hitting the Right Note - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageGuild Wars 2 - Hitting the Right Note - MMORPG.com

I’m going through a part of Guild Wars 2 that is often celebrated but rarely explored. While I had a chance to talk to ArenaNet about the tech behind their graphical updates during our hands on for A Bug in the System, it occurred to me that most of us rarely notice all the ways the development team build the world around us and never notice that this is probably one of the most diverse soundtracks you’ll hear.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They did a lot of things right with this game. The music is great. The extra steps they took to make a three monitor setup actually look good and not look like just one monitor stretched across three screens. The way the lighting changes on my keyboard based on what's going on in the game. Not to mention easy access to the auction house and being able to port all over the place. Good times.
    [Deleted User]GameolioDan

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    I reaaallly want to be capable to play GW2, but the game always drives me away, it annoys me wanting to like it and it's "not liking you back".

The world approach, the content, the story, the visuals, the music and so forth is well done but there is still something amiss with GW2 that I can't quite put my finger on that makes me not keep playing it. :(
    cierrablueJeroKaneHariken
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Guild Wars' OST has always been top-notch. It was incredible under Jeremy Soule, and I would argue that it has gotten even better now that Anet has switched composers.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]cierrablue
  • stego160stego160 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    The game is great to jump back into for a while. However, I lost respect for the company after they started displaying politically correct views and giving into media pressure. Ain't no need for that nonsense in Guild Wars 2.
    AeanderNephethJilynaAvarixvandal5627cierrablue
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    I'm going to be controversial here, hated the original version of 'Fear Not This Night' sounded like a number from a second rate West End musical rather than an emotive, epic score, which Anet has always spoiled me with. Much prefer the 2018 rejig for Bug in the System.

Jeremy Soule did an amazing score for the original game and GW2, I'm still pumped by the score and espicially enjoy hearing parts of the GW soundtrack around GW2, loved GW, and it's taken its time, but now love GW2 as much, really impressed how the game has grown and changed over the past couple of years.

I think the new composers have done an amazing job moving forward, keeping a unique emotive feel to the world of Tyria. Super Adventure Box was never for me, not a fan of 8 bit games, art or music so I always ignore it when it's around.

Hard to pinpoint my favourite piece, there are so many, and some are purely nostalgia based. This has to be in my top 5

RhomsHysterical2

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    I love the music in both Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. They did an amazing job. Even though I'm a little bit disappointed with the PoF expansion, I still play Gw2 for its WvW and living strory releases. I just can't quit this game...

This is by far the best ost in Gw2 for me;

EvilGeekcierrablue
    stego160 said:
    The game is great to jump back into for a while. However, I lost respect for the company after they started displaying politically correct views and giving into media pressure. Ain't no need for that nonsense in Guild Wars 2.
    If by politically correct views, you mean that there are a small handful of gay characters in their massive world, then sure. But if that's enough to offend you, then the Guild Wars community is better off without you.
    Nephethstego160[Deleted User][Deleted User]JilynacierrablueJeroKaneJeleenakitarad
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:
    If by politically correct views, you mean that there are a small handful of gay characters in their massive world, then sure. But if that's enough to offend you, then the Guild Wars community is better off without you.
    TBH I didn't even know there are gay characters in the game 0.0 I was referring to the company. I'm sorry if my post confused you.
    edited June 2018
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:
    TBH I didn't even know there are gay characters in the game 0.0 I was referring to the company. I'm sorry if my post confused you.
    (The gay characters are Caithe, Faolain, Marjory, and Kasmeer, as well as some minor Sylvari NPC's.)

I am legitimately curious as to what you are referring to in that case. I haven't seen any controversies regarding Anet politically. Certainly not on the level of Bioware.

Regardless, respect for a company should be about their product, not their employees' views. 

Bioware is worthy of disrespect not because of politics but because the quality of the writing and games has taken a nosedive.

Anet has only been improving as a development studio and as storytellers over the past couple years. They continue to be as consumer friendly as humanly possible.
    MadFrenchieEvilGeekstego160vandal5627kitarad
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:
    (The gay characters are Caithe, Faolain, Marjory, and Kasmeer, as well as some minor Sylvari NPC's.)

I am legitimately curious as to what you are referring to in that case. I haven't seen any controversies regarding Anet politically. Certainly not on the level of Bioware.

Regardless, respect for a company should be about their product, not their employees' views. 

Bioware is worthy of disrespect not because of politics but because the quality of the writing and games has taken a nosedive.

Anet has only been improving as a development studio and as storytellers over the past couple years. They continue to be as consumer friendly as humanly possible.
    Interesting, but wouldn't those characters you listed be lesbian? (Other than some minor NPC's) ;)

I'm referring to the social media part of Guild wars 2. Bioware i'm sure has done enough to rival the God's.

Anet is a talented team, just wish world views weren't apart of the world of Tyria. It's hard to turn a blind eye too it. 
    edited June 2018
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:

Interesting, but wouldn't those characters you listed be lesbian? (Other than some minor NPC's) ;)

I'm referring to the social media part of Guild wars 2. Bioware i'm sure has done enough to rival the God's.

Anet is a talented team, just wish world views weren't apart of the world of Tyria. It's hard to turn a blind eye too it. 
    (Same thing, really. Just hotter.)

I don't spend much time with their social media. Keep in mind that social media is meant to be a friendly atmosphere. It's part of PR. It is their job and responsibility to foster acceptance in all parts of their social media community. That is normal and expected.

And no, it really isn't hard to turn a blind eye. Tyria is a beautiful, lighthearted world with very little to say politically. If any political message can be gleaned from the game, it is a simple statement of the importance of unity. That shouldn't be controversial.
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchievandal5627
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:

I don't spend much time with their social media. Keep in mind that social media is meant to be a friendly atmosphere. It's part of PR. It is their job and responsibility to foster acceptance in all parts of their social media community. That is normal and expected.

And no, it really isn't hard to turn a blind eye. Tyria is a beautiful, lighthearted world with very little to say politically. If any political message can be gleaned from the game, it is a simple statement of the importance of unity. That shouldn't be controversial.
    On the Social media note, YES I agree with you. But wouldn't that be misleading though if they say they support something when really they don't? Lets say the PR peeps support something and they go ahead and change things on there social media page (Guild wars 2) to fit there beliefs. The rest of the company finds this out and does NOT support it BUT can't do anything about cause they would be labeled something bad or evil then it be all over the news. 

Tyria is all those great things you said But, for how long?  Hopefully 2018 and beyond won't ruin them. 
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:

On the Social media note, YES I agree with you. But wouldn't that be misleading though if they say they support something when really they don't? Lets say the PR peeps support something and they go ahead and change things on there social media page (Guild wars 2) to fit there beliefs. The rest of the company finds this out and does NOT support it BUT can't do anything about cause they would be labeled something bad or evil then it be all over the news. 

Tyria is all those great things you said But, for how long?  Hopefully 2018 and beyond won't ruin them. 
    Bruh, who cares?

From a business standpoint, you want to be as inclusive as possible so you can attract as many people as possible so they can purchase your product/ harness loyal diverse fanbases. 

Paying attention to the media, not just now a days, but for years, companies that don't go politicly correct tend to get boycotted or end up in horrible press. Its just better safe than sorry, especially when you're dealing with peoples lively hoods. (the employees)
    MadFrenchieAeandervandal5627

APThug said:
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:

Bruh, who cares?

From a business standpoint, you want to be as inclusive as possible so you can attract as many people as possible so they can purchase your product/ harness loyal diverse fanbases. 

Paying attention to the media, not just now a days, but for years, companies that don't go politicly correct tend to get boycotted or end up in horrible press. Its just better safe than sorry, especially when you're dealing with peoples lively hoods. (the employees)
    From a moral standpoint I do care.  Whats the point in your business if it's a lie? Not everybody wants to go with the flow you know (hey that rimes!)  But yes sadly there is truth in what you say.
    edited June 2018
    APThug said:
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:

Bruh, who cares?

I would argue that even beyond the PR aspects of that, it really shouldn't matter.

I've seen a few examples of what he's talking about. Namely a few days ago, I saw the recent small controversy when they put up a pride flag version of the GW2 logo on their Facebook page. This shouldn't be a controversial gesture, but there was an unsurprising backlash from a certain vocal minority. They have a small subset of LGBT players (and probably some LGBT staff or family members of staff). It's nice to acknowledge that subset of your community and to make them feel welcome. From an observer's point of view, it's heartwarming to visit their Facebook page and see these people post happy replies because they've been acknowledged by the developers of a game that they put their time and money into. And for those people, it is evident that ANET do care about them, because they have taken the time to place multiple small, subtle representations of them in their game world. It's morally wrong to attack the company representatives or the subset of the community that they have pleasantly acknowledged.

It's nice to be acknowledged, especially when those doing the outreach have created something that you love and/or escape to.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]vandal5627kitarad
  • ReverielleReverielle Member UncommonPosts: 133
    edited June 2018

Nepheth said:

I love the music in both Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. They did an amazing job. Even though I'm a little bit disappointed with the PoF expansion, I still play Gw2 for its WvW and living strory releases. I just can't quit this game...

Yes, that piece is lovely, and so fitting for that area.
    I think my all time favourite is from Living World 2/The Silverwastes:

EvilGeek
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

Nepheth said:

Hearing this really makes me want to play, the game has such an amazing OST and a well crafted world. Sadly Path of Fire updated graphics run me at 15 - 30 fps.
  • ReverielleReverielle Member UncommonPosts: 133
    edited June 2018

Nepheth said:

Hearing this really makes me want to play, the game has such an amazing OST and a well crafted world. Sadly Path of Fire updated graphics run me at 15 - 30 fps.

I run mine at a max 30 fps so I wouldn't mind that too much (15 is getting a little low though). And yes, the zone crafting is amazing. I was only just thinking that earlier today actually when wandering around with a friend in Dragons Stand. We were not in an assault map so were doing some cartography for their map completion and strongbox hunting, and it gave me time to appreciate the effort put it (flying about on griffons helped too). The zone is simply amazing, the amount of work that must have gone into it.... Very impressive even after all this time.
  • RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174
    EvilGeek said:
    I'm going to be controversial here, hated the original version of 'Fear Not This Night' sounded like a number from a second rate West End musical rather than an emotive, epic score, which Anet has always spoiled me with. Much prefer the 2018 rejig for Bug in the System.

Jeremy Soule did an amazing score for the original game and GW2, I'm still pumped by the score and espicially enjoy hearing parts of the GW soundtrack around GW2, loved GW, and it's taken its time, but now love GW2 as much, really impressed how the game has grown and changed over the past couple of years.

I think the new composers have done an amazing job moving forward, keeping a unique emotive feel to the world of Tyria. Super Adventure Box was never for me, not a fan of 8 bit games, art or music so I always ignore it when it's around.

Hard to pinpoint my favourite piece, there are so many, and some are purely nostalgia based. This has to be in my top 5

This article reminded me of everything I loved about the first Guild Wars, and this is my favorite song from the original game, too.  I was a big fan of the original game, read the first two novels, and made it to 33/50 in the Hall of Monuments.  I might have to give GW2 a try again - I haven't played since release, and I've seen a lot of positive talk about the game in recent months.  
    EvilGeek

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

Aeander said:
    APThug said:
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:
    Aeander said:
    stego160 said:

Bruh, who cares?

I would argue that even beyond the PR aspects of that, it really shouldn't matter.

I've seen a few examples of what he's talking about. Namely a few days ago, I saw the recent small controversy when they put up a pride flag version of the GW2 logo on their Facebook page. This shouldn't be a controversial gesture, but there was an unsurprising backlash from a certain vocal minority. They have a small subset of LGBT players (and probably some LGBT staff or family members of staff). It's nice to acknowledge that subset of your community and to make them feel welcome. From an observer's point of view, it's heartwarming to visit their Facebook page and see these people post happy replies because they've been acknowledged by the developers of a game that they put their time and money into. And for those people, it is evident that ANET do care about them, because they have taken the time to place multiple small, subtle representations of them in their game world. It's morally wrong to attack the company representatives or the subset of the community that they have pleasantly acknowledged.

It's nice to be acknowledged, especially when those doing the outreach have created something that you love and/or escape to.
    Actually it was much more than just minority but a army. If the PR team didn't delete there comments it would have been overrun 50/1.  In defense for the company, they had "some" staff who where affiliated with LGBT and had a verbal agreement to change the profile picture.
    Aeander
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Supposedly some engine upgrades to the graphics front, but they hit some people badly, I've tend to just change some settings in some places or type of play to cope, especially with world bosses.
  • LililuneLililune Member UncommonPosts: 81
    I really need to finish the main story...
  • DelphosDelphos Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Ì`m not saying GW2 soundtrack is bad or anything, but is almost impossible be impressed by other soundtracks after you`ve been playing Final Fantasy XIV for a good time.
    Xoph
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Lililune said:

I really need to finish the main story...

Good luck because tons of people are getting disconnects at the moment that reset the story instances and force you to try again from the beginning.. only to get disconnected again.

I am totally stuck and can not progress the story. No word on a fix. No official replies to the many, many posts on the forums about it.

Very close to quitting the game altogether.
    Xoph
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    From the start the cartoony graphics were the wrong note for me, but they were well done so I put that to one side. It was the design philosophy of the game that killed it for me. Apparently we don't need to read quests, just get told a vague idea of what's going on when we wander aimlessly into and area.