Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Collision Detection - Melee Combat

2»

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,147
    Eronakis said:
    You would still need Weapon to Weapon Collision for a Parry and a Counter Strike.
    You would, but can games do this? The ones I've played have weapons clipping through everything. It's possible the games just use old engines that can't handle it, but can this be done right now?

I like the idea of this and placing a tank between an attacker and a glass canon instead of the old "taunt" mechanic would be interesting. Shields should also have better collision detection. Then you have shields from the huge tower shields to wrist bucklers :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,220

Wanted to jump back in here, a lot of replies have been added so I'm gonna focus on this response.  The 1v1 reminds me of the attempt Matrix Online made to recreate the kung-fu fighting of the movies.  One immediate questions comes when we don't have a group of players.  If I'm a lone warrior, what happens if I have two mobs aggro me?

Though most will talk about how they wanna be able to take on numerous opponents at once, that really never happens.  Even in action movies, rarely does the hero dispatch more than one or two opponents simultaneously in hand-to-hand combat; the extra henchman very much wait in line to be pummeled one or two at a time.  How does that work in the context of the system as you describe it above?  I honestly would enjoy a system where multiple mobs would attack your player rapid fire, and your blows would knock them to the ground/backwards/into environmental hazards/whatever and the next would take his/her place as you see in show and movies.  Those mobs could get back up and then jump back in, but the system would never place more than two opponents attacking simultaneously to avoid overwhelming the player with stimuli he couldn't hope to respond to simultaneously.  If it were rapid fire and fluid enough, it would feel more like action movie combat than any MMORPG (or really, RPG) system out there.  Think Rocksteady's Batman franchise, but without the ability to dodge roll/jump all over the place, the numerous extra gadgets, or the one-button counters.  Even when Batman is fighting a dozen plus foes, rarely do more than 2-3 attack simultaneously.  The rest attempt to surround Batman, but you never have all of them simultaneously bullrush him, because the suspension of disbelief of having Batman counter 10+ people simultaneously is too much, even for a video game.

Is that something you think needs to be a part of this system?  A rotating attack chain that utilizes a sort of round-robin system for mobs?  I could see depth being added through different mob types/weapons, where the player could also have skills or abilities that help them adapt to the mob currently attacking.  Again, rapid fire and fluid, and that would be an intense combat system.

You make a good point about how action movies handle 1v5. To answer your question.

The way I have envisioned the new approach to the trinity gameplay model is to focus more on group content without diminishing solo play. 

There will be areas of zones where there is obvious needed for group play, and obvious for solo play. 

Solo areas would have NPC's that are more spread out and sometimes weaker. Typically they may be patrol or roamers. Player awareness is something that needs to come back as an expected skill to have like in EQ. The design should have that in mind. When there are cases when more than 1 NPC aggro's you, depending on various variables, the Player can or cannot survive. A skilled player would be able to survive most 2v1 situations if that happens. It's encouraged to "pull" 1 NPC if you're soloing. 

Group areas, would have NPC group packs. For the new approach to the trinity gameplay model to work as intended, AOE abilities will have to be extinguished or very limited because that lessens the merit of the system in place. 

It's basically a different perspective of what we are use to in the current system of combat. 

Classes would have different ways to help null an add while soloing if needed. Such as stuns, CC, snares, roots ect. Those would have to be used strategically.