Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

YouTuber and his family gets death threats because he criticized Star Citizen in a video.

Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
YouTube streamer known as SidAlpha, posted this video after receiving death threats.  This also resulted in many for and against posts about how CIG has been handling the making of Star Citizen and S42 so far, in Star Citizen forums.

Let's talk about the Star Citizen fan that threatened my family

Here's the video that started it all.

Star Citizen: $27k reasons why crowd funding can go wrong

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Blaze_Rocker

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited June 2018
    This death threats could be ignored if not for the fact that some people are crazy enough to actually carry it out. They should crack down and trace these threats to the source and arrest them and make them pay for doing this. Make an example so more people will hesitate before making death threats.

My goodness I just watched that and the threats against his 13 year old daughter I am not surprised he went ballistic.
    Octagon7711MrMelGibsonSiugwingoodNebilim
    Chamber of Chains
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's true that you never can tell the true intent of someone saying such a thing.  Some people think nothing of it and say it all the time, others only say if they really mean it, and still others won't say it at all, just do it.  
    Gorwe

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited June 2018
    It is despicable behavior, but to me this should be reported and that's it, making a whole fuss about it, as he did, only gives the people who make these threats what they want, knowing they managed to impact you.

It is frustrating for sure, knowing at the same time you want to speak up about it, you're also giving those what they want, attention when what they should be getting is a sentence.

The actions of whoever does this are as condemned by the SC community as well, it's a behavior that is not acceptable, it's for people like that I'd wish anonymously online wasn't a thing, gives them way too much power.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It's insane how far people go in fandoms these days. If anyone slightly insults something they like death threats come out. Even for the smallest crap. 

I feel bad for this guy because who knows what these people will actually do. I've received death threats before on Xbox Live and some of them were pretty damn real sounding even going as far as asking where I live and trying to get my IP. It's insane. 

Why even threaten people, why threaten his daughter? What the hell is wrong with people. 
    Blaze_Rocker
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Please do not use this as an opportunity to demonize the weirdos who have blind faith in Star Citizen. That's not fair.

This happens in every industry; Sports, Politics, Entertainment, and Gaming. Certain types of people think calling people and threatening them is cute because anonymity.

Stuff like this is why absolute anonymity needs to go away.
    KyleranMrMelGibsonTyranusPrime
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    This happens in every industry; Sports, Politics, Entertainment, and Gaming. Certain types of people think calling people and threatening them is cute because anonymity.

I think this is more frequent because like trolling or insulting the person is easily dismissed, so the death threat is the only way they have to impact you.

And indeed, I only imagine the amount of crap that would just have its days counted if anonymity were to disapear.
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Anonymity should go away... internet and games should require an ID number of some kind that follows you around...

MaxBaconOctagon7711MrMelGibsonXarkoRicardo5802
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    MaxBacon said:

I think this is more frequent because like trolling or insulting the person is easily dismissed, so the death threat is the only way they have to impact you.

And indeed, I only imagine the amount of crap that would just have its days counted if anonymity were to disapear.
    I'm not disagreeing but I feel like there are still quite a few idiots who get extremely mad that would still do this even with anonymity gone. I see posts on Facebook all the time by people that would be perceived as racist or hateful towards someone, or even people threatening eachother on there, all with their full name picture and location openly available. 

Taking away anonymity might help a little bit but the amount of people who have mental issues or perceive this type of thing as okay, is pretty large. 
    maskedweaselPhaserlight
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    I am far from a SC or CIG fanboy, and I find anyone making death threats over anything to be scumbags of the highest order who have shown the severest case of arrested development imaginable.

But I wont watch the monetised video about it either.  I mean come on, if you want to make a point fair enough but I can not help feeling cynical when said action is an ad revenue enabled video.
    Babuinix
    edited June 2018
    @Panther2103 I agree that people around who preach hate and things like that, there's quite a few of who do it with their real identity open to all to see.

But say on cases like this, proper harassment, death threats, are actual crimes, and if minimally the authorities had a reliable way to track those people and give them the appropriate consequences, then we'd see a huge improvement.

Because I'm not sure if it's only me, but it feels like things online are getting more and more aggressive and polarized as time goes by.
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    MaxBacon said:
    @Panther2103 I agree that people around who preach hate and things like that, there's quite a few of who it with their real identity open to all to see.

But say on cases like this, proper harassment, death threats, are actual crimes, and if minimally the authorities had a reliable way to track those people and give them the appropriate consequences, then we'd see a huge improvement.

Because I'm not sure if it's only me, but it feels like things online are getting more and more aggressive and polarized as time goes by.
    I honestly believe its because people want to feel special, and in a crowd of voices they want theirs to be heard the loudest.    Its like a dark parody of Monty Pythons four Yorkshiremen sketch.

Person 1, I dislike this thing
    Person 2, I HATE This thing
    Person 3, Hate... Oh I wish I only hated this thing, it made me ill
    Person 1, Well when I say dislike what I mean is I find it reprehensible this is the source of all the worlds problems
    Person 2, I give up on humanity because of this /////wrists
    Person 3, Pah, slashing your wrists, luxury, I am going to cut off my hands but first I am going to strangle the person responsible with them.

Its like people feel their online views need to be validated in order for them to be validated it is sad and pathetic to watch and the sensationalism of those involved is only going to get higher.
    maskedweasel
    MaxBacon said:

I'm not disagreeing but I feel like there are still quite a few idiots who get extremely mad that would still do this even with anonymity gone. I see posts on Facebook all the time by people that would be perceived as racist or hateful towards someone, or even people threatening eachother on there, all with their full name picture and location openly available. 

Taking away anonymity might help a little bit but the amount of people who have mental issues or perceive this type of thing as okay, is pretty large. 
    If anybody was to send me a death threat aimed at myself or a child in my family with their name and location attached to it, I'd send them a greeting card with well wishes and flowers.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited June 2018
    fs23otm said:
    Anonymity should go away... internet and games should require an ID number of some kind that follows you around...

And this is why we can't have nice things, someone always messes it up. It's annoying that it went that far. Healthy debate is turning into unhealthy debate these days.
    Octagon7711dragonlee66wingood
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Meh....

I'm not into people profiting from either side of this kind of crap, it's clickbate.

The people making the threats are idiots, no Star Citizen needed.
    KyleranRhomsErillionBabuinix[Deleted User]wingood

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Fairly certain any persons in the public eye receive death threats,  especially if they post an opinion on a contoversial position. 

No need to make this about SC just to yet again paint the game in a bad light.

Heck my family and I got threats of physical harm from a creepy stalker that I kicked from my guild.

It's  not right, but its going to happen to those who are "public"

Just the age we live in

laseritBabuinixMrMelGibsonwingood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2018
    MaxBacon said:

With my opinion posting here on this site I shudder to think what sort of threats I might get if people could readily identify me.

Glad to stay in the shadows.
    ;)
    JeffSpicoliMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I have been worried about stuff like this for a while. Just think if Roberts never finishes the game and backers find he squandered the money. That is why I pray he at least releases something that is playable and close to what he said he would release.
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I feel like as a society people are becoming incapable of criticism or any ideals, thoughts, or opinions that go against there own even ones as trivial as something as a video game. The world and people in general are in a ugly place right now. 
    wingood
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Kyleran said:
    Fairly certain any persons in the public eye receive death threats,  especially if they post an opinion on a contoversial position. 

No need to make this about SC just to yet again paint the game in a bad light.

Heck my family and I got threats of physical harm from a creepy stalker that I kicked from my guild.

It's  not right, but its going to happen to those who are "public"

Just the age we live in

lol this was the same thing with me, when we were on a GvG war invasions stuff and the other guild was loosing, the guy outside the game (so he wouldn't get banned) sent me and the other co-owner threats for several days in a row.

And it's really creepy because they do check your profiles and so to get personal info about yourself and embed it into the threats (such what the guy did to this youtuber with bringing up his daughter).

BUT we got the upper-hand, the GM's decided to take the reports external to the game and managed to confirm, he got rekd. \o/
    KyleranMrMelGibson
    edited June 2018
    When I say get rid of anonymity I mean absolute anonymity. I believe we all should be able to game, discuss controversial things, and ask advice for personal things under screen names, nick names and avatars to protect us from each other.

If I make a death threat, obsessively harass/stalk, or SWAT someone, there needs to be swift action taken against me individually and specifically by the medium owners and authorities. That means me the individual responsible, not a screen name that I made up. This way I am now personally accountable for my actions.

All screen names and trusted email addresses should have breadcrumbs that lead back to a person. The lack of this is a fundamental issue that's leading to the breakdown of all that is sane these days. I'm not claiming it would end toxicity because people are who they are, but pushing it to the fringes and holding extreme cases accountable is necessary.

I also believe there has to be accountability as well as trusted/certified mediums that have the highest level of integrity where anonymity should NOT be allowed.

I'm pretty sure some goof will follow behind about privacy, government tyranny but in the age of block chain, cryptographic hashing, and 2048 bit encryption we can absolutely have a real discussion about being responsible human beings online.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'd rank death threats as "minor" when compared to swatting given all the things that have been surrounding it lately. Unfortunately, these kinds of acts have never been new since the start of the internet many people have felt they could say and do whatever they liked due to the anonymity.
    JeffSpicoli
    When I say get rid of anonymity I mean absolute anonymity. I believe we all should be able to game, discuss controversial things, and ask advice for personal things under screen names, nick names and avatars to protect us from each other.

If I make a death threat, obsessively harass/stalk, or SWAT someone, there needs to be swift action taken against me individually and specifically by the medium owners and authorities. That means me the individual responsible, not a screen name that I made up. This way I am now personally accountable for my actions.

All screen names and trusted email addresses should have breadcrumbs that lead back to a person. The lack of this is a fundamental issue that's leading to the breakdown of all that is sane these days. I'm not claiming it would end toxicity because people are who they are, but pushing it to the fringes and holding extreme cases accountable is necessary.

I also believe there has to be accountability as well as trusted/certified mediums that have the highest level of integrity where anonymity should NOT be allowed.

I'm pretty sure some goof will follow behind about privacy, government tyranny but in the age of block chain, cryptographic hashing, and 2048 bit encryption we can absolutely have a real discussion about being responsible human beings online.
    Yes exactly this, not that you need your identity open to all, but it can not be hidden from authorities.

It's exactly the lack of that, that is giving those people too much power and literal free pass on things that are taking to the point it is considered criminal.

The sad thing why this will never happen is that conspiracy theorists will always be "oh the evil government" and continue to fight full on for the right of anonymity when it brings more harm than good, especially criminal activity.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Kyleran said:
    MaxBacon said:

With my opinion posting here on this site I shudder to think what sort of threats I might get if people could readily identify me.

Glad to stay in the shadows.
    ;)
    We at the NSA can confirm that you are currently in the shadows.  Please move two feet to your left.
    Octagon7711ScotlaseritPhaserlightScotchUpKyleranDakeruGorweGreme[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    This is only one guy, the thread does rather indicate he received threats form many people. You are always going to get nutters, SC is no different.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited June 2018
    I said it once and i'll say it again. The scam behind this game has gotten so out of hand that when the game fails miserably, some people who spent big money on it will kill themselves when they realize how Chris Rob'em parted the fools and their money.

Right now these specific group of people are threatening others because the game hasn't "failed". They will turn on themselves when they don't have a CIG trash can to throw money on anymore.
    FrodoFraginsIselinGaladournBabuinix