Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 5 MMORPGs Sorted by Population (2018)

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
edited June 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

The data has been collected and here are the results. :)

"Estimating the population of an MMO game is a daunting task, and publishers are not willing to share their numbers on these matters. The reason? I guess WoW’s population is so big, that the rest are embarrassed for their numbers.

So let’s dive in, and sort the most popular MMOs by their user base, with any and all (authority) data that is available on the subject."

https://altarofgaming.com/all-mmos-sorted-by-population-2018/

1. World Of Warcraft

2. Elder Scrolls Online

3. Guild Wars 2

4. Final Fantasy XIV

5. Black Desert Online

Octagon7711JamesGoblinJeffSpicoliShaighNepheth

Comments

• Teak2112Teak2112 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    edited June 2018
    I put 0 faith in their population numbers.  Those numbers are far too high.  FFXIV having 1M subs would be huge, when you consider EQ's peak was 650K or so and thats the number 2 sub game of all time (sustained peak that is).  Also, if you take out accounts created in last 30 days no way BDO is anywhere close to 1M.

As for overall pop, 1 is obvious.  2-4 are also obvious, in some order.

Im curious just how big the gap is from 4 to 5.  I would imagine FFXIV has 80-90% of ESO's population, but BDO more like 25% of FFXIV.

LetsinodNepheth
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited June 2018
    So damn pleased for Black Desert Online . One Million you go game !
    MikehaKylerankertinUngood[Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    cheyane said:
    So damn pleased for Black Desert Online . One Million you go game !

Still coming to Xbox and PS4 so the numbers should go up. I have an Xbox One X and a 4K TV so if its a good port I am moving to the Xbox version. 
    rojoArcueid
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited June 2018
    Fake news.

Most accurate statement comes from the sad, but laughable bio at the page bottom:"

"Currently wasting life"
    AlBQuirkyaliven

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FrozenyearroundFrozenyearround Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Well it is similar to this post at the end of 2017.  I still don't think the numbers are correct though.

http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/06/perfect-ten-the-healthiest-live-mmorpgs-at-the-end-of-2017/
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I don't know how accurate the numbers or the source is, but it does seem right that those would be in the top 5.
    MikeharojoArcueid

I self identify as a monkey.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Teak2112 said:
    I put 0 faith in their population numbers.  Those numbers are far too high.  FFXIV having 1M subs would be huge, when you consider EQ's peak was 650K or so and thats the number 2 sub game of all time (sustained peak that is).  Also, if you take out accounts created in last 30 days no way BDO is anywhere close to 1M.

As for overall pop, 1 is obvious.  2-4 are also obvious, in some order.

Im curious just how big the gap is from 4 to 5.  I would imagine FFXIV has 80-90% of ESO's population, but BDO more like 25% of FFXIV.

You owe me a new keyboard as you made me spew coffee all over mine.  EQ is not even in the top 10 for highest population games ever.  
    Sinsai
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I always question titles like "HERE are THE top games by population!" No one "knows" the numbers. What did they use as data?

For hose wondering, Here is what they used for BDO:

Community

Avg. Monthly Queries on Google: 10M+
    YouTube Videos: 6M+
    Twitch Followers: 660K+
    Reddit Subs: 80K+

Social Media

Website Visits: 10M+ / month
    Facebook Fans:
    110K+
    Twitter Followers: 60K+
    YouTube Subscribers: 30K+

cheyane

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Active players is a horrible term... That could be any metric. Oh, this account logged in one time in the last 180 days... count it. 

Active should mean actively logging in some % of the time frame covered. Personally, I consider active as 75% in 30 days or around 22 days of the month the player logs in. 

Most companies bloat the numbers, and count a single login in 30 days as active.

The other number is Concurrent Users.... what is the peak number of users logged around the clock...  
    Gdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    Good to see ESO is doing so well.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Whats funny is , i think Lineage beats them all , and its not listed
    ShaighKyleranRidelynnGdemami
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The article does go on to list different numbers as given by different sources and as they say most companies don't share their exact numbers leaving everyone to speculate based on their data source estimates.
    AlBQuirkyKyleran

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    ikcin said:
    fs23otm said:
    Active players is a horrible term... That could be any metric. Oh, this account logged in one time in the last 180 days... count it. 

Active should mean actively logging in some % of the time frame covered. Personally, I consider active as 75% in 30 days or around 22 days of the month the player logs in. 

Most companies bloat the numbers, and count a single login in 30 days as active.

The other number is Concurrent Users.... what is the peak number of users logged around the clock...  

Active is every player who logged in the last 30 days. It is a pretty clear term.
    One login in 30 days is not effectively active...and again my point is companies are going to do that to bloat numbers. And there is no rule anywhere that it is 30 days... it could be 6 months, a year... all that is irrelevant.

Concurrent users are the only real number that truly paints the picture of a thriving game. 

Gdemami
    Since all companies bloat the numbers they might be equally bloated then  :p
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    cheyane said:
    Since all companies bloat the numbers they might be equally bloated then  :p
    I agree 1000% (bloated numbers!) :lol:
    [Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Surprised WoW is still on top. ESO seems much more populated, plus its on 3 systems. Is this PC only?
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    So is there some kind of in-game census software or is this just numbers out of someones ass?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I thought LoL claimed they have 80 gazillion members?
    Iselin
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    4 of those have optional subs? Is this just someone pushing the p2p agenda?
    4 of those have optional subs? Is this just someone pushing the p2p agenda?
    As opposed to the cash shop one ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I have never seen anyone post numbers about game populations that were not immediately given a raspberry. Is there no data that people were willing to treat as valid or close to valid?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    <sighs> Ok I'll bite. Someone out there educate me on where to actually find TRUTHFUL sub numbers or in-game number that we may globally see as accurate. It does seem this is one of the two dozen, or so, topics that get covered ad infinitum. Folks please please for the love of accuracy at least attempt a truthful link we can rely on?

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I'm shocked ESO was #2 I would have guessed FFARR
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Even if the numbers aren't accurate, I'd say the list is pretty accurate in terms of the top MMO's right now. The order its placed in however, I'd still leave it up to taste.

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    edited June 2018
    I'm half surprised the list isn't:

Fortnite
    LoL
    WoW
    Overwatch
    Farcry 5

Especially with our now "redefined" definition of an MMO
    KyleranScotAlBQuirky