Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, Fallout 76 is Online*. What Could it Be? - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Utinni said:
    Skyrim was 2011 and FO4 was 2015. No interest in another Fallout game :(
    I agree.

Having said that, Fallout 76 will sell like hot cakes.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,271
    Gonna be a Fallout shooter ala Battlefield :D
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Maurgrim said:

Bethesda is developing a Sci-fi game called Starfield.
    We don't know much, but we know it's in the works.

Fallout 76 is a Survival game, from all the leaks on the net I am 95% sure.
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,904
    Torval said:
    kitarad said:
    Survival oh crap great.
    I know right. My kneejerk response too. I hope it's good. I'd love to revisit New Vegas in FOO (Fallout Online). FOO could set a new bar. :tongue:
    So, we're going with the FOO bar.  It's going to be that kind of day.

Torval

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,969
    TEKK3N said:
    Chills05 said:
    I thought the majority of people that actually enjoyed Fall Out 4 enjoyed it despite the base building, not because of it. It wouldn't be a good decision to build a complete game around a mostly ignored "feature" in a previous game
    Ignored?
    Are you kidding right?

The high re-playability of Skyrim and Fallout 4 is down to house/base building.
    Skyrim didn't have it, but after Modders flooded the Workshop with building Mods, Bethesda decided to incorporate the base building to Fallout 4.

I played Skyrim already 20 times and Fallout 4 10 times, if they didn't have the base building I would have played them a couple of times like many of the single player games I played.

Also the success of Survival games is partially due to base building.
    I play Ark on Single player, because in PvP and PvE mode there is no place to build, and I enjoy building awesome bases.
    The replayability of Skyrim has nothing to do with base building. Where are you pulling that from? What base building? The replayability and popularity of Skyrim is solely due to the moddability of the game.
    blueturtle13Kyleran
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

TEKK3N said:
    Maurgrim said:

Bethesda is developing a Sci-fi game called Starfield.
    We don't know much, but we know it's in the works.

Fallout 76 is a Survival game, from all the leaks on the net I am 95% sure.
    Fallout was always a survival game. Many survival games could easily have taken inspiration from the series. Players have always had to deal with thirst, status effects, radiation, and the like. There's not confirmation at all it will take on RUST style mechanics. People are assuming that a survival focus means RUST style not Fallout style.
    Kyleran
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,817
    Torval said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Chills05 said:
    I thought the majority of people that actually enjoyed Fall Out 4 enjoyed it despite the base building, not because of it. It wouldn't be a good decision to build a complete game around a mostly ignored "feature" in a previous game
    Ignored?
    Are you kidding right?

The high re-playability of Skyrim and Fallout 4 is down to house/base building.
    Skyrim didn't have it, but after Modders flooded the Workshop with building Mods, Bethesda decided to incorporate the base building to Fallout 4.

I played Skyrim already 20 times and Fallout 4 10 times, if they didn't have the base building I would have played them a couple of times like many of the single player games I played.

Also the success of Survival games is partially due to base building.
    I play Ark on Single player, because in PvP and PvE mode there is no place to build, and I enjoy building awesome bases.
    The replayability of Skyrim has nothing to do with base building. Where are you pulling that from? What base building? The replayability and popularity of Skyrim is solely due to the moddability of the game.
    Just an add-on: FO4's basebuilding was supose to exist in Skyrim. It's code can be found in the game data, but due time restrictions they had to cut that out... they also removed a more complex civil war campaign because of the same reasons.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

Current playing: 
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Shadowbringers; EvE Online

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,817
    FO76 will be a co-op multiplayer RPG with focus on base building and survival.

It won't allow non-CC mods.

It will have a campaign and quests.

It is set in West Virginia.

PvP seems to be a big question mark. I doubt it will be included = The engine can't handle that many players at once to justify pvp (modders are struggling to achiev co-op mods to this day).

Some rumors suggests a scoreboard system of sorts.

They revamped achievements to appear as in game cosmetic/building rewards.

Fo76 shows the very first collored television on the series. The song playing at the teaser trailer is from 71, in contrast to all other songs used that were from 40's or 50's - it makes me believe they will "progress"/"explore" a bit more the lore development of the world instead of just using anything already known by FO1 players.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

Current playing: 
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Shadowbringers; EvE Online

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,047
    TEKK3N said:
    Iselin said:
    TEKK3N said:

It'll be interesting to see how they handle it when they just can't delay TES 6 any longer. All kinds of possibilities including some tie in between ESO and TES 6. And I don't mean just the usual buy one and get some cosmetic item in the other one kind of thing. We shall see but we're probably talking 2020 or later for that.
    I don't get it though.

TES and ESO are two different games.
    I wanted ESO to be Skyrim online and I shunned it for a long time because of that.
    It took me 2 years to accept that ESO wasn't Skyrim Online.
    Only when you accept that, you can enjoy ESO.

So, I don't understand why TES 6 cannot thrive alongside ESO.
    I re-played Skyrim twice while I was playing ESO.
    I really don't see this conflict between the two titles.
    They cancelled UO2 after spending tons of money and putting tons of work into it because they thought it would hurt UO  - and that was back when adults were the key demographic for mmos and you could get sensible, consistent, sound information from them.  You have to realize that you have generally sane, generally competent adults trying to guess at the reaction of children who now prefer watching people play games in videos than actually play games themselves.  A market that judges how good something is by the amount of people watching other people play it.  Not watching an exciting competition between the best players - just watching some dickhead playing the game.  Adults will never be able to make competent, adult decisions when they are getting their information from kids wearing the same style of pants Peter Pan wore.  All they can do is look at what the children are making popular and try and emulate it and hope they aren't flushing hundreds of millions down the toilet.  
    Mowzerwanderica
  • BenjiGarrettBenjiGarrett Member CommonPosts: 39
    I hope it's not battle royale. Something like teso in post apocaliptic setting would be nice.
    Kyleran
  • sdeleon515sdeleon515 Member UncommonPosts: 151

Xodic said:

It's going to be a playable cash shop, obviously. Paid mods didn't work out too well, so they're moving it online to better justify things.

Problem is that its not like Bethesda invested in tons of the mods themselves; its the modders that rely more heavily on the success of the mod and its kind of a catch-22 to say Bethesda needs to offer free mods instead of creation club but its okay to eff modders. If you look at donations to modders its pretty rough in general.

It's also not like they're as brain dead as Bungie and will do the whole "hey our game will suck so we need lootboxes" let alone the shit-storm they are creating in the EU and Asia with laws aimed at it. So developing something with a feature that may be outlawed isn't exactly bright of an idea.

Utinni said:

Skyrim was 2011 and FO4 was 2015. No interest in another Fallout game :(

That's the thing though, the span between fallout titles was a sizeable time frame and not everyone who plays Skyrim enjoys Fallout and vice versa. That said it is nice they are willing to try new things. We kind of need that more from developers rather than sticking to the old formulas. If take for instance Horizon Zero Dawn, it was an unexpected hit not because it was a great game to play but also because the expectation for it was set low given it was by Guerilla Games who did Killzone. So the the willingness to do "new" stuff because you have such a low bar already to work with can yield tons of surprises.

I for one am pretty excited because you want to hope that its a step toward better games and titles rather than the standard p-o-s stuff that studios get away with as far.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,852
    It doesn't take a lot of insight for that Kotaku person to claim it's possibly an online game.
    I have been saying for a long time now that devs are taking single sales,single player games and simply adding login screens to warrant ongoing cash shops so they can turn a 50-75 dollar game into several hundred.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    It doesn't take a lot of insight for that Kotaku person to claim it's possibly an online game.
    I have been saying for a long time now that devs are taking single sales,single player games and simply adding login screens to warrant ongoing cash shops so they can turn a 50-75 dollar game into several hundred.
    That person at Kotaku has associations and leaked accurate information before. You're right though, it may be totally inaccurate, but it's not just some random person making it up. If they're wrong their reputation will take a hit so they should be a little confident in their claim.