Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you let your 11 year old son play this game?

GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
I'm not a prude, and I'm not trying to stir up trouble.   I'm asking for a friend.  I remember reading that there was a bit of a toxic environment in this game, and it is mildly bloody.  My friend told me that his 11 year old son is playing this game.  So I am asking you, the player base, would you allow your 11 year old son to play this game when you weren't watching him?

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    I personally would. While some chatters could be toxic, there is a larger game aside from the battle royale that would be fine for kids for the most part.  The violence is very much cartoony, not scary or anything like that.  

Of course this also matters on how well you know you son. If its questionable, then perhaps it isn't the game for him.  
    Vrika

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It depends.  If the son has unlimited unsupervised internet access he probably have seen worse.
    SovrathJeffSpicoliTruvidien88

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Some players are toxic, but that happens in all internet games.

Imho the game itself is fine. It's unrealistic enough that your child will just see it as a competition and a game, not as anything resembling reality. Language and behavior of other human players might be problem, but it's the same with all internet games.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Thank you all for your comments on this.  My friend will be a bit relieved.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Fornite, should be ok. If Roblox, you have to weary about and need to be supervise. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=roblox+sex+predator 

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    GladDog said:
    Grade 6?

Well, I guess I'm old  fashioned and if I had children I wouldn't allow them to be on the interwebz unsupervised at grade 6.

And they would definitely be doing chores, uphill, both ways!
    ScorchienmaskedweaselKyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Honestly when I was 11 I was playing Counter Strike at LAN centers. The violence isn't that awful in fortnite, and as long as they know not to chat with people and that some people will be toxic online, then it should be fine. But that's always up to the parent on whether or not their child can handle what they want to do mentally.
    13lake
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Allowing an 11 year old unsupervised access to the internet seems a poor choice. I would not think that advisable until they are about 15.
    HarikenOctagon7711
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Scot said:
    Allowing an 11 year old unsupervised access to the internet seems a poor choice. I would not think that advisable until they are about 15.
    I'm not trying to raise my friend's son for him.  He and his wife gotta make their own choices.  But I was curious, after hearing a few negative things about Fortnite, if people thought there was anything my friend should be concerned about.  It seems that Fortnite is not a big deal.

HOWEVER; his son also plays Roblox, and after seeing those videos about child predators, he is limiting his playtime in that game, as well as disabling voice chat.

So, thank you, community!  You were very helpful.
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I let my 6 year old play it , but i am sitting with him and i disable the chat , he just likes building and blastin Zombies ..   Fun stuff...
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Scot said:
    Agree
    This is about Parenting period. The internet is the new TV. My generation would just plop their kids in front of it and walk away for a few hours. You can't do that with the internet. Parents need to know what their dam kids are doing and make the choice if they are ok with it. In other words be the freaking adult. 
    Octagon7711
  • alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    edited June 2018
    Fortnite is competitive. PVP is competitive. Athletic events are competitive. When I was 12 my football used some "colorful language" and often compared the less athletic boys as weaklings or even girlish. This coach, by today's standards was way out of line, however,this was often the case on many a competitive field in the US back not so many years ago. I could go on with these analogies, but won't. Your children are your responsibility. How you choose to raise them in today's environment is your right, I suppose, as a parent.

If it were my child...

This is what we hear, but what YOU do actually matters as long as you can educate by example.

Hope and wish you the best of luck with your kids. Someday they will be in charge :) 

Alyn

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    I let my ten-year-old play pretty much whatever she wants, however, her moral compass and maturity are pretty exemplary for someone with limited time on the planet.

I also find, when I do not hover over her, she tends to get bored very quickly and heads outside to take pictures and snap chat with her friends. I would have to say take this on a child by child basis I am confident my child won't do anything she knows I would disapprove of, but then again we also spend hours talking to each other about life and life lessons I have had to learn the hard way in hopes she won't.

Overall fortnight is pretty tame and I am comfortable letting her play that.
    JeffSpicoli

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I would not allow voice chat. 
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    edited June 2018
    11 year olds hear far worst on the school yard I assure you.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sovrath said:
    GladDog said:
    Grade 6?

Well, I guess I'm old  fashioned and if I had children I wouldn't allow them to be on the interwebz unsupervised at grade 6.

Hey, when my son was 11 I made him farm materials for me in WOW, does that count as chores?

;)
    WellspringWalkinGlenn13lake

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scot said:
    While I educated my children on many aspects of safe surfing and avoiding predators,  I never taught them how to delete browser histories or log files.

They used to think I had super powers in detecting what they had been viewing...  

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    GladDog said:
    Grade 6?

Hey, when my son was 11 I made him farm materials for me in WOW, does that count as chores?

;)
    Aboslutely it counts
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Long time ago when Dark Age of Camelot had released shortly after I let my 7 year old play. I monitored him and he was playing fine and he was quite good with his spelling and in fact the people who he played with had way worse English than my 7 year old.

I do think though that then the community is nothing like how it is now. There weren't vulgar or anything like that while I watched. I let him play for about an hour a day. These days I would never let him play an MMORPG at that age.
    Kyleran
    Chamber of Chains
  • LowellsandersLowellsanders Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Umm I would probably let him play but not for whole day that he got lost in it, access of anything lead to harm, so I would assign specific time for it to play with his friend and one most important thing which is lacking nowadays is physical activities, Video games made everyone lazy and restricted to you rooms only!
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I don't have an 11 year old son, so I can't pretend to speak to that. However, I DO have a 3-month year old girl and she's not allowed to play. ;)
    Kyleran
    --------------------------------------------
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    wesjr said:
    11 year olds hear far worst on the school yard I assure you.
    Must be some mean little bastards running around these days. 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    GladDog said:
    Grade 6?

;)

Haha awesome. When my daughter was 9 i had her munching roids for me in EvE
  • LowellsandersLowellsanders Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Lol I would allow him to play as this game is love :P 
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    There are always bad people every where, and this game is no different. If your friend is worried about it, he can turn off chat completely, and if the son has friends they can chat for free via Discord. The gameplay is frenetic and you are shooting people. It's not realistic. With chat off there's no way for others to socialize with his son except for the message chat boxes in the lobby, and he may be able to get rid of those also or restrict his play to solo or controlled friend group only.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?