Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bungie Pulls in $100M from NetEase for Non-Destiny Game Development - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBungie Pulls in $100M from NetEase for Non-Destiny Game Development - MMORPG.com News

The Bungie site has been updated with a brief post to announce a partnership agreement with NetEase. The Chinese game publisher infused Bungie with $100M for its minority stake that will "empower us to build new worlds and invite players, new and old, to join us there. They'll help us support separate teams inside Bungie to bring our newest ambitions to life".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited June 2018
    Pretty soon all game development will be in the hands of Tencent and Netease with Activision - Blizzard and Ubisoft somewhat in the background :/ I can't blame them for not being able to resist the influx of cash. I guess we'll see how it goes moving forward. Hopefully in all the right directions!
    ceratop001ScotNephethRhomsinfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I'm not surprised, China owns the west.
    MikehaLeFantomePanserbjorne39Agnharinfomatz

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Well, they've got to do something new. At the rate Destiny is sinking, the great grandchildren of James Cameron will be funding submersible missions to go view the wreckage. 

SBFord said:
    Pretty soon all game development will be in the hands of Tencent and Netease with Activision - Blizzard and Ubisoft somewhat in the background :/ I can't blame them for not being able to resist the influx of cash. I guess we'll see how it goes moving forward. Hopefully in all the right directions!
    If that happens I'll be finding a new hobby. 
    ElendengelPsym0n

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Blizz/Activision and other AAA western studio's greed & complacency just producing mediocrity for years has allowed the eastern invasion/takeover to happen.
    All eastern companies(minus JP cause they already learned their lesson) are not friends of the west. They want to own the west and will if gamers don't wake up and stop supporting games closely associated with the east.
    Hell26LeFantomeNepheth
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Let me guess, a Battle Royal game in sci-fi setting, cool..
    mrputts
  • drakolasdrakolas Member UncommonPosts: 45
    edited June 2018

SBFord said:

Pretty soon all game development will be in the hands of Tencent and Netease with Activision - Blizzard and Ubisoft somewhat in the background :/

I can't blame them for not being able to resist the influx of cash. I guess we'll see how it goes moving forward. Hopefully in all the right directions!

Doesn't Activision-Blizzard own Bungie though? This is somewhat confusing to me.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Not sure why all the negativity around chinese funding for games. China has by far the largest number of gamers in the world. The cold war is over boys, relax.
    lexluthor2015necrolockLeFantomeTuor7Alomarxmenty
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited June 2018
    drakolas said:

SBFord said:

Pretty soon all game development will be in the hands of Tencent and Netease with Activision - Blizzard and Ubisoft somewhat in the background :/

I can't blame them for not being able to resist the influx of cash. I guess we'll see how it goes moving forward. Hopefully in all the right directions!

Doesn't Activision-Blizzard own Bungie though? This is somewhat confusing to me.
      Activision entered into a 10 year publishing agreement with Bungie. They don't own Bungie. I would assume the 10 year agreement is only for Destiny as it was suppossed to be a 10 year franchise which is ending in 2024, right on time to finish a trilogy.

• ShaiapoufShaiapouf Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I'm...not particularly worried, truth be told. Most of the big, AAA companies basically work under the same models. Whether it be Tencent, Netease, EA or Acti-Blizz, its "big money" companies making big money decisions. When you look at the things the western AAA companies pull, I'm not exactly woefully crying for their possible fate.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Whatever the title is, I can guarantee you that it'll have micro-transactions.
    ScotTuor7AgnharAlomarPsym0nR3d.Gallows
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    INCOMMING DESTINY 3 MOBILE-HIDE YOUR KIDS, HIDE YOUR WIFE!
    Cryomatrix
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251

Utinni said:

Not sure why all the negativity around chinese funding for games. China has by far the largest number of gamers in the world. The cold war is over boys, relax.

Thats becuase China has a Shitload of population....LOL...
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • achmedeachmede Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Destiny 2 is not dead yet btw guys.
    Im no fan boy or anything, i myself stopped playing few weeks ago for months.
    But after new DLC and updates its better.
    And even more content is coming, there are a lot of players in each zones now.
    Finding raid or any other run doesnt take long, if you are using Discord.
    The community is also helpful, not once i encountered any toxic player.
    Psym0n
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

Utinni said:

Thats becuase China has a Shitload of population....LOL...

China owns the N/A in that matter.  simple as that.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I'm moderately curious to see what they come up. Not likely to be something that'll be of interest to me as a non-Destiny player though :P

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Clearly Netease did not like Destiny enough to put any of its money in that basket. So I leave you to decided will it be in exciting original games or Battle Royal clones? Will it be hyper-realism or cartoony for infants?
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Who are these companies? can somebody ELI5

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    I don't like huge corporations investing in or buying up most of the good game studios, it usually leads less risks taken and more of the same old copy paste mainstream games. It used to be the big western companies doing it and now it's shifted to Asian ones since the market is so huge there.

Coming from Sweden I'm used to a lot of successful game developers, and other companies for that matter, being bought by megacorps from larger economies. I guess this is a fairly new experience for many Americans.

Some examples of game studios from my country being bought up are Mojang (Minecraft) to Microsoft, Dice (Battlefield, Battlefront) to EA and King (Candy Crush Saga) to Activision. To be honest I would prefer Tencent owning those studios since they seem fairly hands-off with the studios they buy from what I've seen, the operations outside of China that is.

I don't have much knowledge about NetEase but they can't be worse than EA. Activision as well as Microsoft have some shady things going on as well so I'm willing to give these Chinese companies a chance, they have a lot of messing up to do before they end up worse than their Western counterparts in my eyes.
    Psym0n[Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    This is the age we are living in and everything is getting monopolised and it is not good for creativity and development. Unfortunately the gaming industry makes a shit load of money if it was less successful these companies would not even bother to look at them. The price of success.
    laserit
    Chamber of Chains
  • Psym0nPsym0n Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Xodic said:

Michael vick christian louboutin heels breaks down Michael Kors Bags to in nike outlet online towards the beats headphones cheap southern states new nike roshe jersey in preperation regarding jordan 11 football jordan 11 find

Day of observance delayed Cheap Michael Kors Bags mainly Michael Kors Jet Set Bag because perfect cheap jordans online day closed discount nike shoes a few real <

You need to be kicked in the balls.
    You're about to kick a bot in the balls. Who programs balls on a computer though..
  • R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    More copy-paste lootbox games incoming.
  • RobWhiteRobWhite Member UncommonPosts: 26
    It isn't a surprise for me too. Unfortunately.
  • jarsku85jarsku85 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Another Revelation Online incoming, nothing to see here...