Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You know you've hit the end of the road when ...

CrescendaCrescenda Member UncommonPosts: 24
Okay, I'm old. No, I mean really old. The list of MMOs I've played dates back well before animations, when there wasn't yet a fancy acronym for text-based multiplayer games. Listserv comes to mind. And I've tried pretty much everything since, including all the spiffy AAA titles. A few of these I played for years -- until developers screwed them up for various reasons. Some I played only for a week or two because they didn't fit my style, were too dark, or the ever-increasing gray on my head didn't comport with the green- and purple-haired player base.

But there was always something else to try; 'was' being the operative term. Now, I fully admit I've changed. As harped upon at onset, I'm older. That doesn't ensure being wiser, but I've learned enough to recognize a cash grab in lieu of content development; and where I could once grind for 72 hours straight, today I'm more apt to shut everything down and take a nap. Priorities change. So do physical capabilities -- in one game I was the most in-demand healer on my server for raids and dungeon runs, neither of which would I go near today. Many old timers develop what's known as essential tremor. For some, it's just a minor annoyance; in my case it's debilitating on some days (read: can't click on a toolbar reliably). It's even worse when I'm stressed.

As the title suggests, I've hit rock bottom, and I know that because a few weeks ago I tried playing an MMO, called Star Stable Online. SSO is a noncombat, 3D MMORPG based in a persistent open world, where horses and horseback riding wrapped around literally thousands of fetch, find, and deliver quests. There are also countless racing and jumping courses that are just within my capacity. The developers claim the game is designed for young girls, but I found plenty of 20 and 30 somethings playing also. I think the game has been around since about 2011 and it should be beyond the buggy stage, but it's not. And relative to other MMOs, it's expensive to play, ranging from about $8.50 per month to somewhat less if purchased in 3-month or 'lifetime' increments (Lifetime is $74.00 when not on sale). The game's developers also introduce content weekly, which is mainly focused on extracting real cash out of players for things such as additional horses, clothing, tack, and pets. Pretty sure the developers are focused on a 'young girl' target market because they go all giddy over these cash grabs, don't complain too much when the game breaks, and have little inkling of the value of things when they're gaming is supported by mommy or daddy. In my addled state I could have liked this game a lot, but the ever-present bugs and obvious attempts to extract money from me quelled my interest after 3 weeks.

So, when I'm not napping, gumming a bowl of oatmeal, or engrossed in a Perry Como recording, I'd still like to play an MMO. Aside from the person who delivers my Meals on Wheels, I don't have a lot of social contact; so, a nice player community is a must. Does anyone have suggestions for an old crone not yet willing to give up the ghost entirely?

Sorry for the tome, but you know how we elders like to ramble.
PhaserlightH0urg1assOctagon7711maskedweaselCryomatrixRnjypsy

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Try Vendetta Online, old man.

If you can move a mouse, you can steer a spaceship.  There are plenty of folks from all age ranges playing, and it isn't a cash grab. 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Unless you are at least 75+ you aren't even remotely very old. B)

Then again you do mention Perry Como so ...

Sorry you are having issues.

honestly, why not go to Everquest as it's very slow paced.

Also, games like X-Com are turn based and there is a multi-player mode.

Phaserlightmaskedweasel
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Given graphics clearly don't seem to be an issue to you, and you didn't specify too greatly what you are looking for, I'm going to suggest Wurm Online.

1. Combat is straight up boring to a youngster like myself. Meaning you can probably enjoy the fact you'll be able to fight while eating tapioca, listening for them to call out your bingo numbers, and chatting up the old lady next to you about your grandchildren.

2. Highly detailed and immersive world. Wurm has thee best crafting system I've ever used. Being a blacksmith isn't about watching 2 second bars tick down and out pops an item. You'll be sitting there at your forge clicking away for hours to make an amazing sword.

3. The community is very friendly, and there are a lot of older people playing it.

If you're looking to recapture the freedom of your MUD experiences in an actual game with graphics I would highly suggest it. So long as these graphics will be enough:

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    It's really hard to recommend MMO's at this point.  The new ones are almost entirely super fast paced, DPS oriented, flippity zippity action combat games that are light on the RPG aspect.

One game that you can do quite a large range of things without having to participate in PVP much, if at all, is always EVE Online.  It's an older persons game in a lot of respects.  It takes patience, planning, the ability to play well with others, persuasion, how to manage income and resources...

I know several older people who play it and have a lot of fun running industrial empires or even commanding PVP fleets.  You can command a fleet without having to engage in PVP yourself very much at all.
    Phaserlight
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'd look into an MMO with no monthly fees or death penalties and helpful players.  Probably something that grants xp for just exploring as well, and you can pick and choose your quests. 

Tremors can usually be helped with a classic vegetable and fruit diet or foods that are low or have no chemical additives and pesticides which attack the nervous system.  Cut down on meat, only need it once a week or less and no processed sugars.  All the best.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'd say the current itteration of FFXI might suit your style OP (even though I prefer the old game). You can play with others or solo with npcs called trusts and go at your own pace with plenty of things to do. Most of the servers are either JP run or empty outside of Asura, which is the highest English speaking server and most populated. Only "draw back" is that is p2p, but its 10$ until the end of today I believe with their discount campaign thing going, which includes every piece of content up to date and 30 days of game time. You can play ever class (called jobs in the game) on a single character and change whenever as long as you have unlocked them, so no need to feel like you've "made a bad choice."
  • CrescendaCrescenda Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I appreciate these prompt and helpful responses! I shall have a look at your suggestions.
    Phaserlight
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This is a helpful thread. Keep the suggestions coming. I am interested as well.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• waffleflopperwaffleflopper Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Lord of the Rings Online?
    [Deleted User]Phaserlight
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I personally did like my little time with Lotro, I just found the monetization a bit scattered and requiring research if you dont know what's going on since their main site isn't exactly "accurate" on how they are selling things.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Entropia has a good community if you find a good society. Graphics are ok. Sandboxish 

But it is a real cash economy. It is also a slot machine with an MMO wrapped around it. It has a free trial to get a hang of it.

But before I get flamed, it is highly controversial and many people hate the game and think it is the worst p2w game out there. 

But just throwing out another option with a free trial. So doesn't hurt to try it out. Msg me with questions if you have any if you ever try and like the game.

Neverwinter is decent
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Not an MMO, but soon implementing multi-user functionality:  Stardew Valley on Steam or GoG.  It's great fun for someone of any age.  I got my 73-year-old mom into it, and she's played almost daily for nearly a year now.  If you're not dead set on it being an MMO, this one is a real charmer.