Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest - Part 1 - TheHiveLeader - EverQuest Videos - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Sovrath said:
    Albatroes said:
    I will admit that there is something therapeutic about just going around killing stuff to level up instead of relying on mundane quests. I miss when quests were important and used to be for getting a skill/spell or rare piece of armor.
    I've grown to despise quests. They aren't "that" interesting in mmorpg's and they don't have you doing much.

At this point I only want to do things to level up. running to a glowy bit on the map, collecting/killing 4 things and running back is not entertainment.

Yeah, I think one of the thing people used to love about quests before say wow glorified it into a mainstream way of progressing was simply because they were important, even in rpgs. Sure you were going through the story but chances are (especially in jrpgs) if you were going to level, it was going to be off of grinding random battles just so you could get strong enough for a boss fight later on. Questing to level just dilutes any importance they have to the point to where your (generalization) habbit to spam click through them carries over regardless of the importance simply because your body just reacts. If questing was just for important things again, people would act care more when doing them.

Even though I feel like ESO does questing probably better than many mmorpgs on the market today, to me it just feels like a never ending single player (at most co-op) game instead of a mmorpg (which I believe an article said that Zenimax was aiming for that kind of feel).
    Sovrath
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited May 2018
    Sovrath said:
    Albatroes said:
    I will admit that there is something therapeutic about just going around killing stuff to level up instead of relying on mundane quests. I miss when quests were important and used to be for getting a skill/spell or rare piece of armor.
    I've grown to despise quests. They aren't "that" interesting in mmorpg's and they don't have you doing much.

At this point I only want to do things to level up. running to a glowy bit on the map, collecting/killing 4 things and running back is not entertainment.

What I dislike are games that focus on a singular XP path rather than giving you a nice mix of camping, questing, tasks, epic quests, errands, story advancement, exploration...etc.  I like it when you get decent XP for all of these types of content.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    EQ1 hands downs still the best MMORPG of all time. So good, that I can't play it without getting myself addicted-- so I don't play ;(
    [Deleted User]kjempff
    --------------------------------------------
  • SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315
    EQ 1 was my first MMORPG and it was the one game I played pretty much daily for the longest time of any MMO since. Nowadays I'll play an MMO for a few months or so and then move to something else. EQ1 though held my interest for many years straight.
    sschrupp
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    I enjoyed the game play of P99 a lot more than any of the official progression servers. There is just no one to play with unless you bring a group with you. Low level zones are dead. Chat was dead. Eventually gave up trying to find people.
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

DMKano said:

Should have done a P99 review instead - much better version of EQ1

Eh. I really looked into it. I'm simply not comfortable with some of the steps needed to install it.

It's really not at all that hard!
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    remdinds me of DAOC early phase
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

EQ1 hands downs still the best MMORPG of all time. So good, that I can't play it without getting myself addicted-- so I don't play ;(

Yup nothing ever came close to a real comparison. If eq as the best mmorpg of all time would score 50 of 100 then the second best would be a 10, and the current big mmos would score 2-4.. That is how far we are (it is an opinion).
    Whenever I try the various eq versions of emulators, progression servers etc, I always start with "just some casual fun" but within a week it is eating every spare minute I got.

But anyways the "best" eq version at the moment is p2002 in my opinion.
  • KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171

PimpNasty said:

Asheron's Call 1 was sooooo much better, quests, storyline, systems , the whole game was better by leaps and bounds.

AC was the best game ever :P
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    I was in a group yesterday in one of the modern mmo's, I remarked that it was quiet with no one chatting.
    To which I got the reply - word for word:
    "We're not here to entertain you"
    I left.
    [Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    There are no words this game was simply the very best in my opinion.
    [Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Looks lame but play it. Goodbye 6 months.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Akulas said:
    Looks lame but play it. Goodbye 6 months.

17 years and counting in my case.