Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, Fallout 76 is Online*. What Could it Be? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageSo, Fallout 76 is Online*. What Could it Be? - MMORPG.com

Bethesda surprised everyone this week with a Twitch stream featuring nothing but the Fallout Vault Boy, naturally leading gamers to speculate on what was likely to be a new Fallout game announcement. But what could it be? The possibilities ran across the board, from a brand new Fallout RPG to the meme-worthy suggestions that Bethesda was going to announce Skyrim playable on your Pip-Boy in Fallout 4.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2018
    Bethesda, if you're going mmorpg all I want is a global auction house please....
    SeelinnikoiMagikarpsGhostMrMelGibsonwandericainfomatzChills05Agent_Joseph
  • RellzRellz Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Battle Royale
    gervaise1chocolate42069bobbymcswansonSeelinnikoiSaltyDog79AlomarsomeforumguyinfomatzAgent_JosephSamhaeland 1 other.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2018

Rellz said:

Battle Royale

Yep. A post-apocalyptic survival game? Surely this could never happen you say ..... !
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    I think it's going to be a post apocalypse esport/battle royale type game.
    mrputts

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    A fallout Fortnite
    mrputts
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    for all the battle royal peeps... unless they did some hard turn... battle royal games where not even a twinkle in the eyes of youtubers when this game started its development.

This have been a good conversation

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    edited May 2018
    They're going to lift the crafting system out of Fallout 4, tweak it a bit, add some new things, and drop it into the mountains of West Virginia.  It will be multiplayer and customizable with settings and possibly even player mods.

It'll be RUST, but with NPC raiders, ghouls and the whole pantheon of Fallout monsters.

Building cities that are highly defended will be the main point.

This is an easy, cheap win for Bethesda.  I would bet that 90% of the assets, and 80% of the content was able to be lifted directly from FO4 and imported wholesale into this game.  Essentially, all they had to really do was make FO4 a multiplayer platform.

EDIT:  To be clear, I'm not being negative about this.  I enjoyed RUST for the couple of months I played it, and I think I'd enjoy this too.
    [Deleted User]wesjrRoininfomatz
  • marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334
    i bet hundred bucks it will be "jump on battle royal hype-train" Fallout :P
  • BoraellBoraell Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Misleading title, nothing yet to indicate its online apart from a random on a clickbait site. Personally I think if it was going to be an MMO it would have Zenimax's name on it.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    If it's battle royale style I will be disappointed. If it's survival I will be disappointed.

I would prefer the MMO-Lite style the most but my money is on a survival/building type game with 500 players per server (500 vault inhabitants).

I really don't think it will be battle royale. There's going to be a large focus on building, that much is obvious, and royale games do not do building jusice because they lack the persistence needed for the effort required. Fortnite works because the building is kind of whacky and is more like putting up instant shields.
    bartoni33
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DarticusDarticus Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I'm hoping for something similar to Ark or 7 Days to Die but as many others said, perhaps it is a battle royale. If that is the case then I am thoroughly uninterested as that is one type of game I cannot stand.

Rather that say what it might be I'll say what I want it to be. I'd love a true MMO fallout. I'd love a co-op Fallout story, though that is very unlikely. I'd like a survival game like Ark/7 Days to Die/Rust. I'd absolutely hate a battle royale.
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Whatever it becomes ill def play it im a bit of a fanboy when it comes to anything Fallout.
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    edited May 2018

Boraell said:

Misleading title, nothing yet to indicate its online apart from a random on a clickbait site. Personally I think if it was going to be an MMO it would have Zenimax's name on it.

Jason Schreier at Kotaku isn't a "random clickbait site." Jason's quite reliable on this stuff and particularly when it comes to Fallout. He's the guy who leaked the details of Fallout 4 ~two years before it was officially announced. https://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reveal-that-fallout-4-is-real-set-in-1481322956

If Jason says it's an online survival game, I'm inclined to believe him. That said, nothing is 100% (which is why the asterisk is in the headline), so it's fun to speculate on the possibilities.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]SaltyDog79IselininfomatzChills05MadFrenchieRhoms
  • SolancerSolancer Member UncommonPosts: 121
    What ever it might be, I love Fallout and Skyrim/ES series, but the company had tried things to screw ppl over the years it tells you they are trying to one up EA. I'm pretty sure ESO ppl will tell Beth to go for loot boxes the hell out of Fallout and hire a shady programmer to rig matches for arena Battle Royal mode for everything these days.

I guess as long as there are whales to be harvested, the temptation is too good to pass it up. One again I like to remind Beth that Fallout and ES series are good game but its the modders made them GREAT. For every attempt to put pay wall for things, you are setting yourselves up to be hated like EA, of course, you don't care then go do the shady things. I believe it don't take much for the next company to make the NEXT open world RPG to over take Beth for good, IMO.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Most likely conan exile type but more base defend/building and solo friendly. with modding support ofc.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2018
    What i really want from an online Fallout is just online coop for the campaign up to 6-8 friends that you invite to your game and scale difficulty based on group size. And if one of your friends join an enemy faction in game it opens PvP posibilities with each faction having their own campaign progression.

I don't want looter shooter, Survival and definitely not BR in my fallout.

My thoughts.
    bartoni33GameolioDanghettoceleb

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Xodic said:
    It's going to be a playable cash shop, obviously. Paid mods didn't work out too well, so they're moving it online to better justify things.
    I bet they will be hiring a monetization designer.
    [Deleted User]infomatz

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    I hope and pray to God almighty they don't try to "copy" this already-saturated "survival game" market, one that has produced very little of any real value, IMHO.  To me, this overdone survival stuff is the latest hype train to jump on.  Why Bethesda would even think of following that path (if indeed that's what this is) is beyond me.

They have created their legacy making fantastic single-player games that are not beholden to servers, lag, and a host of other problems with online games.  Yes, I play online, but come on.  What happened to carving out your own place in a huge single-player world, something most of us Bethesda vets have come to love about their games?  It just seems weird, to me.  So yeah I am disappointed at the moment, but I also realize that everything we "know" about 76, we could fit on a small post-it note. 

If it has an online element that's cool, but for Christ's sake please don't force the entire experience to be online.  If I wanted that I would play ESO, and I abhorred ESO.
    bartoni33infomatz
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

Torval said:

Arskaaa said:

Most likely conan exile type but more base defend/building and solo friendly. with modding support ofc.

I don't think it's going to be very solo friendly. Conan Exiles isn't solo friendly. You can do it that way but the experience is built for coop. There is a lot a single player can't do and the only way to get the complete experience is by playing in a group. I do play Conan Exiles solo and it's fun, but I can see a lot of what I'm missing out on as a result.

Why is Conan cant be done solo? I solo'd to 60 on a 1x server without issue and completed everything.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Torval said:
    Arskaaa said:
    I don't think it's going to be very solo friendly. Conan Exiles isn't solo friendly. You can do it that way but the experience is built for coop. There is a lot a single player can't do and the only way to get the complete experience is by playing in a group. I do play Conan Exiles solo and it's fun, but I can see a lot of what I'm missing out on as a result.
    I should really try Conan.  I've played RUST a ton, but it got boring after a while.
  • etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152
    My guess... mmo.

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    To follow the trends it's going to be

Fallout VR 3D Mobile TowerDefense Battle Royale Survival MOBA CCG
    [Deleted User]Gatlaninfomatz

Thank you for your time!

• Maxstone1Maxstone1 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    if it's any of the offered options, I'm out this round...i still watch the scene but hardly have time to play and Fallout would just be more static (albeit well-loved) in the background. Something like Borderlands with drop-in/drop-out multiplayer would be okay, but not if the RPG experience and crafted atmosphere suffers for it.
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Here is some info about it from yahoo news page. Take with large dose of salt like everything else here.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/fallout-76-reportedly-online-survival-rpg-not-single-194603699.htm
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Survival oh crap great.
    [Deleted User]