Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recent SotA Steam #'s - It ain't pretty.

Comments

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    kitarad said:
    danwest58 said:
    TEKK3N said:
    danwest58 said:
    This is what happens when developers listen to only the few hundred people who spend tens of thousands of dollars on the cash shop and old everyone else to fuck off. 
    Exactly.
    That's why I trust Steam more than anything else.
    These are people who actually spent their money on the game, not just random "haters" who troll various forums criticizing a game without even playing it.

Sure as hell I won't trust reviews or views of people who post on the official forums, as all criticism is weeded out, or sites open to any troll who can vomit their hatred towards the game without actually spending a single cent on the game itself.
    I agree.  I spent $40 2 years ago on this game and played around 60 hours total, 40 hours when I first got the game and then 20 hours in the last 2 months.  I can tell you.  This game just sucks.   

The world feels small because its instanced its not one big open world.
    Crafting is a pain in the ass because you cannot ever find mining nodes. 
    The Combat is trash, the card system is garbage and even having set abilities is all but useless.  This is what happens when you try to make an Action Combat MMORPG you are stuck with 5 to 10 abilities.
    The way you make a character is just bad.  I wanted to make a mace warrior and I got forced to do swords from the get go.   
    Buying player run cities and houses for real money is too much RMT for me.    This just turns the game into a wallet war.  If I want a Wallet war I will go play ArcheAge.
    I know your posts from these boards and I trust you to some extent because of the FFXIV discussions you have participated in. I think your input is valuable and I can see how bad the game is from what you have written.
    Thanks.   I been around for I think far too long around MMORPGS that I am getting Jaded about them.   I think there are good qualities SOTA has like an open character building system.  But there is just too much wrong with it for this game to be good.   
    Aragon100 said:
    danwest58 said:
    This is what happens when developers listen to only the few hundred people who spend tens of thousands of dollars on the cash shop and old everyone else to fuck off.   This game will be dead inside 2 years.  There is no way for this game to make money ever again.    

And people who say listening to the hardcore Fel players of UO.  You are just as stupid as the few hundred people who spent money for in game housing.   You cannot make a super niche game.   Just watch how Shares Online ends up the same as SOTA.   You cannot have an WOPVP full Loot MMORPG be successful anymore.  YES you can have maybe 1000 people playing the game, but that will not do more than put the game on life support.   

Why do you guys think Ashes of Creation has as much interest as it does and it is a PVP game?  Because they are going to balance PVP and PVE and risk vs reward.   You are not going to be able to PVP loot everyone just players who have so much corruption.   SOTA and SO are just a joke, they think they are doing something different and will have backing when really they would have been best just running a UO Private server.  
    Aragon100 said:
    Developers should have listened to the old UO players. Hardcore PvP (consensual) should have been an option as developers promised during kickstarter. Now they removed that option and the PvP players have left the game.

A good combat system (not a card system) like the one UO had and allowing a Felucca gameplay as an option with the promised slider system would have moved this game from niche.

There is a huge market for hardcore PvP if done as well as old UO (Renaissance era)

Look at the games that have the highest populations over at Steam and you find games with risk vs reward and full loot. 

Ok most are survivor games like PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS (414,374 In-Game) and Rust but many player's that like that playstyle would also like it in a MMO like old UO renaissance (consensual PvP)

Claiming it would be a niche for the few like you do is laughable at best.

Ask yourself if this game would have been better off if developers had developed a game similar to a UO2 one with an option to play either trammel or felucca gameplay?

Both me and you know the answer to that one. 

First,  No there is not a hufe market for Hardcore PVP.  You dont understand the MMORPG market.  If this was the case games like Mortal Online, Albion Online and ArcheAge would have hundreds of thousands of people playing all the time.   This is not the case, ArcheAge is the most populated of these games and people leave the game all the time because of the way PVP is.   

I know WOW is a bad example for just about everything but not this.   On WOW PVP servers there is such a huge faction imbalance that WOPVP does not exist anymore and will not even with the merged server BS.  Why you ask yourself?  Because people dont like to lose.  Just look at SWG can how at the start of the game the factions were fairly well balanced at least on Wonderhome which I played on.   After a year all the PVP players went imperial and then PVP died because no one wanted to fight 20 to 1 odds.   Just like in ArcheAge when on Freedrich there are 100 or so pirates sitting around people stopped trading packs in there.   

Yes PVP can be done right in an MMORPG and I think this is what Ashes of Creation is going for.  The design is not hardcore PVP its more balanced PVP.  You as a PVP players will not go PK someone and loot their entire corps.   Yea there will be some looting but it will be a small percent of the crafting mats a player has except if a player has a lot of corruption they can have everything looted off them.  It balances PVP in favor of the PVE/50% PVP 50% PVE player not the hardcore PVPer. 

You can also look at LoA and their forums.   You get the PVPers there telling people to GTFO who dont like the PVP system yet these same PVPers are crying that population is so low.   If you are going to waste average players time they will not be there.   This is why Ashes of Creation will likely work

As for UO2, I hate to tell you BUT Trammel in UO is vastly more popular than Felucca, I know I was playing back in February for over a month.   Felucca is dead outside champ spawns and some people that still PVP.   UO2 with the same setup with be very popular and to think Pre-T2A would be more popular you are kidding yourself.   The Most Popular Pre-T2A non Tram Fel server has around 1000 people on at peak times.   That is not a lot by far. 

The REAL key to having PVP game is like Ashes of Creation is doing.   Trying to get rid of the real bad side of PVP and focus on the positive side.   Having people fight over their nodes is good.  Caravans is a good idea and so on.   You just cant have someone lose countless hours of their time and expect them to stay.     
    ramdy said:

It's not a good sign that that many people gave up on the game after less than two hours and got a refund.  They just realized a big turd for what it was, quickly.  I'm not sure why you brought that up in defense of the game.
    It is not defending the game, just about the quality of the steam reviews. Imagine someone reviewing WOW after playing 1 or 2 hours rushed by the refund time limit?

On the other hand I forgot the hate in this community (after reading all the posts above). So best is to do the trial if you are interested in the game :). I was just talking on my experience with this game.
    Ramdy,

Its not hate.  Its disgust.  I loved UO.  I played over 7000 hours in 5 years on UO.  Yea that is a lot of time.  I loved Richard.   But when he made SOTA and I see how terrible it, how the community treats people who have constructive feedback on something they dont like because I will not drink the koolaid.   No I am not going to say anything positive about this game.  I personally have had conversations with Richard about the game while I commend him on having a vision it just does not mesh well with an MMORPG.   This might have been a really good survival game with a thousand people on a server at one time.   But not an MMORPG.   
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I will never understand why RG designed this game so vastly different than UO.. Long ago I started to question whether he is even actively involved in the project design anymore.
    NildenScot
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    edited May 2018
    danwest58 said:
    Aragon100 said:
    danwest58 said:
    This is what happens when developers listen to only the few hundred people who spend tens of thousands of dollars on the cash shop and old everyone else to fuck off.   This game will be dead inside 2 years.  There is no way for this game to make money ever again.    

And people who say listening to the hardcore Fel players of UO.  You are just as stupid as the few hundred people who spent money for in game housing.   You cannot make a super niche game.   Just watch how Shares Online ends up the same as SOTA.   You cannot have an WOPVP full Loot MMORPG be successful anymore.  YES you can have maybe 1000 people playing the game, but that will not do more than put the game on life support.   
    Aragon100 said:
    Developers should have listened to the old UO players. Hardcore PvP (consensual) should have been an option as developers promised during kickstarter. Now they removed that option and the PvP players have left the game.

A good combat system (not a card system) like the one UO had and allowing a Felucca gameplay as an option with the promised slider system would have moved this game from niche.

There is a huge market for hardcore PvP if done as well as old UO (Renaissance era)

Look at the games that have the highest populations over at Steam and you find games with risk vs reward and full loot. 

Ok most are survivor games like PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS (414,374 In-Game) and Rust but many player's that like that playstyle would also like it in a MMO like old UO renaissance (consensual PvP)

Claiming it would be a niche for the few like you do is laughable at best.

Ask yourself if this game would have been better off if developers had developed a game similar to a UO2 one with an option to play either trammel or felucca gameplay?

Both me and you know the answer to that one. 

First,  No there is not a hufe market for Hardcore PVP.  You dont understand the MMORPG market.  If this was the case games like Mortal Online, Albion Online and ArcheAge would have hundreds of thousands of people playing all the time.   This is not the case, ArcheAge is the most populated of these games and people leave the game all the time because of the way PVP is. 

As for UO2, I hate to tell you BUT Trammel in UO is vastly more popular than Felucca, I know I was playing back in February for over a month.   Felucca is dead outside champ spawns and some people that still PVP.   UO2 with the same setup with be very popular and to think Pre-T2A would be more popular you are kidding yourself.   The Most Popular Pre-T2A non Tram Fel server has around 1000 people on at peak times.   That is not a lot by far. 

I played MMO games since UO beta and i do know the PvP communities and what they like. You on the other hand have no clue whatsoever.

Comparing old UO Renaissance with games like Mortal Online and Darkfall say it all. It is like i would claim all PvE games are the same.

I played EA UO from beta to some months into AoS. After that +10 years on different free shards (Renaissance). Played Darkfall and Mortal Online for many years.

Do you know the difference btw consensual and non-consensual PvP? 

UO Felucca (Renaissance) had consensual PvP, everyone entering Felucca accepted the rule setting of Felluca. If Felluca rulesetting was not for you then you had the option to play in the twin world trammel. You were not forced by developers to play the Felucca settings. Killing players that is not interested in fighting back is for PvP noobs.

In Mortal Online and Darkfall you had non-consensual PvP like UO had in the first years. Everyone was a target nomatter if you were interested taking part in PvP. 

That is a huge difference since noone should be forced to admit other players playstyle against their will. I played both Mortal Online and Darkfall for many years.

Do you know what alignment systems is?

Old UO had a working alignment system that severly punished PK:s (severe stat and skilloss), Darkfall and Mortal Online had not.

In UO PK:s in high statloss deleted their characters upon death since it was as easy to retrain a new charater for the necessary 6 months it could take. Only the best of the best PvP players managed to stay alive as a high statloss PK for any longer time.

In Mortal Online and Darkfall PK:s red colour was just another colour, there was no alignment system that punished murderers. Only difference with the red colous was that they could be attacked by anyone.

There havent been a game like old UO (Renaissance) since it was destroyed by EA with AoS feb 2003. So you comparison with games like Mortal Online and similar games like Darkfall is defective since the only similar feature with those games and UO is the full loot.

Skipping consensual/non-consensual PvP and a working alignment system in your reasoning just inform me how little you know about these games. Mortal Online and Darkfall are games that have very little similarity to old UO (Renaissance).

So your assumption there is no market for hardcore PvP is wrong in so many ways. You must compare similar games to make such a statement and you failed to do that.

Players that like the thrill and feeling they get from hardcore PvP settings like that part in any game they enter (risk vs reward and consequences).

What they dont like is no risks like a nonexistant alignment system for PK:s (Darkfall/Mortal Online), is it mainly a zerg game with 2-5 frames per second(Darkfall), is it a buggy mess (Mortal Online), do the game have a player skill demanding combat system or not (SotA cardgame is a good example on not).

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS (414,374 In-Game) is a survivor game but the thrill they seek with risk vs reward and consequences is there and even if not all would like the MMO game with a similar setting i can safely say that there is a huge market for such a game.

Since noone ever made a similar game to old UO (Renaissance) your point of a no market for it is wrong.

UO of today is UO of today and have no similarities with UO (Renaissance) PvP that i am talking about. Did you even play UO in the early days (1997-2003)?

Again - you cant compare the populatity of Felucca and Trammel with 2 completely different combat, death and PvP settings. Just about all PvP guilds left Felluca after the Age of Shadows expansion feb 2003 so of course it is a dead zone now. Age of Shadows made UO a game similar to what WoW later became.

The one responsible for the UO expansion Age of Shadows was Tom Chilton (Senior Game Designer for WoW).

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Tom_Chilton

Early days felluca (before AoS) had just as many if not more players then trammel had. 

The popularity could also be seen in later private shards with UO Renaissance settings. The largest one's had almost as many players as the EA UO had. 

Richard Garriott seems to not know his own audience at least it seems so if he was interested in making a popular game with many players.

Post edited by Aragon100 on
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    SlyLoK said:
    I will never understand why RG designed this game so vastly different than UO.. Long ago I started to question whether he is even actively involved in the project design anymore.
    It's kind of embarrassing when 1997 Ultima Online has less loading screens than SotA.
    KyleranMarcus-

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• rune_74rune_74 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    The ones with 100's of hours and glowing reviews are RMT traders...

JamesGoblin
  • rune_74rune_74 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    I like the fact that it has an offline single player mode so that if the servers die you still have the full game you paid for and can keep playing.

Now, if party mode lets you host your own game (LAN / IP) and invite your friends then that would definitely be another selling point for me. Looking forward to knowing more about this.

If the full-on mmo game mode fails due to low playerbase, i assume the other modes will still be there, which is good.

Correct me if i'm wrong about the party mode.

If the game is good, i'll buy it eventually.

No, you need to log in to play offline....which is also horribly broken as to be no fun.
  • HachlathHachlath Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited May 2018
    -44,1 %
    :#

All I know is our guild has doubled in numbers   I'm going to keep playing along with the rest here.  

Now we're two so our guild has doubled;)

bought this game stay away and stay away from all dead's mmos. Stay with wow eq lotro eve teso gw2 bdo ... forget ALL the others.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Hachlath said:
    It's -44,1 players online, not percents.

SotA has on average 44 players less online at any given time. In percents it's 13% less players.

• HachlathHachlath Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited May 2018
    ok lol
    Last 30 Days 284.9 -44.3 -13.45%  
    289 players ^^

take GW2 TESO BDO Wow.BDO = 13K players (only on steam accounts)
    TESO 8,9K players (idem)Sota repop and other ones are  not viable.  I won't pay a cent anymore for a non viable mmo (or solo game or even software for work music video whatever)Lotro is not really viable with 700 players for steam accounts. WOW/TESO/BDO and some others as ARK. All the others are not viable, over i'm done. Payed so much money for zero fun. I'm done.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Can we still use Steam Charts to get an idea of the way a game's player base is trending?  I read something about the privacy policy changing to default to not show your play status.  Is this reflected in Steam Charts numbers for all games?
    As most of us here guessed would happen, SotA is on the way out already after its recent release.  Official forums are dying.  Steam forums are dead.  The most popular Reddit, a home for all who despise what this game became, is dead.  Not even the haters care any more.  I guess there are a few whales left, dunno.  This thing is dying with a whimper, just like my expectations did.

I should really do some soul searching to see why I'm still following its progress.  I guess I enjoy beating a dead horse.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    As most of us here guessed would happen, SotA is on the way out already after its recent release.  Official forums are dying.  Steam forums are dead.  The most popular Reddit, a home for all who despise what this game became, is dead.  Not even the haters care any more.  I guess there are a few whales left, dunno.  This thing is dying with a whimper, just like my expectations did.

I should really do some soul searching to see why I'm still following its progress.  I guess I enjoy beating a dead horse.
    I'm actually gonna dick around with it a bit tonight, even though I've been forewarned lol.  Free trials ftw?
    VladamirBegemot

I'm actually gonna dick around with it a bit tonight, even though I've been forewarned lol.  Free trials ftw?

Free trial:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=89827

edited May 2018

Developers decided not to listen to the majority of their community and made a game for the few that had the fortune of being real life rich. There were discussions about instanced houses for the one's that couldn't afford the insane price tags.  The real life rich then complained and said it would devaluate their house investment and the discussion was over.

Developers decided not to listen to the majority of their community that wanted a PvP game with similar settings to old Ultima Online - risk vs reward, consequences, player skill demanding combat system and full loot. Developer's even tricked us old UO PvP player's into believing we should have an option to set such a gameplay with a slider that later were removed and we got what they called a PvP compromise that only catered for the few that were not interested in PvP.

Developer's, moderator's and a few whales with big forum mouth's turned this potentially good game into what we see today - a almost dead one. 

http://steamcharts.com/app/326160

Instanced house's would devaluate the houses of the whales - i wonder how much they are worth today?
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Cannot say I'm sorry it turned out this way. The type of games that promote whales at the expense of other players should not be supported.
    ScotAragon100kitaradEarthgirl
    Chamber of Chains
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    skadad said:
    Where are these huge amount of hardcore pvp players ( griefers ) that people mention now and then? Would not the pvp games be more succesful  ( mmorpgs, not mobas not BR )?
    Apparently the game is not PvP 'enough' from what I read.
    Chamber of Chains
    edited May 2018
    skadad said:
    Where are these huge amount of hardcore pvp players ( griefers ) that people mention now and then? Would not the pvp games be more succesful  ( mmorpgs, not mobas not BR )?
    Since there are no MMO games like old UO today (pre Age of Shadows) many of them play survival games like PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS.

http://steamcharts.com/app/578080

Compared with today SotA -

Games like Darkfall and Mortal Online were basically griefer games (no alignment system) where old UO Felucca was a consensual PvP game with a very well working alignment system. It was only the battle ready player's that fought it out in Felucca after the safe mirror world Trammel entered the game.

PvP player's that want a game that contain risk vs reward, consequences, player skill demanding combat system and full loot are not griefers they are hardcore PvP players.
    cheyane said:
    Cannot say I'm sorry it turned out this way. The type of games that promote whales at the expense of other players should not be supported.
    Yeah it is good for the future of gaming.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited May 2018
    skadad said:
    I agree, where is this horde of MMORPG PVP gamers at? They never seem to turn out to play the PVP centric titles that are available at present, always have "reasons" why they won't support the current offerings. 

Heck, I'm as carebear as they come, yet I've spent more time playing PVP centric MMORPGs (or on PVP servers) in the past 15 years than many of the hardcore proponents out there.

Yet they have the nerve to call me out as a coward who is afraid to lose, LOL, in most games I'm the only person risking it all and losing trying to make my living in a world full of ganking arses.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited May 2018
    Aragon100 said:
    skadad said:
    Since there are no MMO games like old UO today (pre Age of Shadows) many of them play survival games like PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS.

Games like Darkfall and Mortal Online were basically griefer games (no alignment system) where old UO Felucca was a consensual PvP game with a very well working alignment system. It was only the battle ready player's that fought it out in Felucca after the safe mirror world Trammel entered the game.

PvP player's that want a game that contain risk vs reward, consequences, player skill demanding combat system and full loot are not griefers they are hardcore PvP players.
    Bad examples, PUBG and MOBAs have no risk, no reward, just mindless killing games for those who cry foul when game play isn't "fair."

Man up boyos, get out there and play EVE, Life is Feudal, Worlds Adrift, Albion Online, ArchAge, SotA or hell, even Bless.

But don't sit there bemoaning the fact theres nothing to play because of all of the silly reasons players who claim to want this sort of game play.

If I can suck it up and survive, so can you.

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    It's kinda strange.  A lot of ppl say that steam reviews can't be believed when they are good, but when bad, they are gospel.  Hopefully ppl are looking at a variety of sources.
    Aragon100VladamirBegemotKyleran

I self identify as a monkey.

edited May 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Aragon100 said:
    skadad said:

Bad examples, PUBG and MOBAs have no risk, no reward, just mindless killing games for those who cry foul when game play isn't "fair."

Man up boyos, get out there and play EVE, Life is Feudal, Worlds Adrift, Albion Online, ArchAge, SotA or hell, even Bless.

But don't sit there bemoaning the fact theres nothing to play because of all of the silly reasons players who claim to want this sort of game play.

;)

I agree that these survivor game isnt similar to pre AoS Ultima Online but i disagree there isnt similarities to hardcore PvP.

All of the players that enjoy games like PUBG wont play a MMO with settings like pre AoS Ultima Online had but since so many seem to enjoy hardcore PvP with risk vs reward and full loot i can safely claim there is a market for such a MMO game with consensual PvP.

Since there havent been one MMO game after pre Aos (feb 2003) Ultima Online with similar game settings it is hard to say how a market for such a game would turn out.

I am sure it would turn out better then today Shroud of the Avatar though -

And as said earlier - games like Darkfall and Mortal Online is not comparable with pre AoS Ultima Online. Actually there have been no MMO games that is comparable with pre AoS UO:s risk vs reward, consequenses, player skill demanding combat system, a working alignment system and full loot.

Claiming we that enjoy hardcore PvP should settle with today market of MMO games that in no way fulfill our wishes is laughable at best.

Risk vs reward, consequenses, player skill demanding combat system, a working alignment system and full loot cant be found in the games you proposed.
    Aragon100 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Aragon100 said:
    skadad said:

;)

I agree that these survivor game isnt similar to pre AoS Ultima Online but i disagree there isnt similarities to hardcore PvP.

All of the players that enjoy games like PUBG wont play a MMO with settings like pre AoS Ultima Online had but since so many seem to enjoy hardcore PvP with risk vs reward and full loot i can safely claim there is a market for such a MMO game with consensual PvP.

Since there havent been one MMO game after pre Aos (feb 2003) Ultima Online with similar game settings it is hard to say how a market for such a game would turn out.

As said earlier - games like Darkfall and Mortal Online is not comparable with pre AoS UO.

Claiming we that enjoy hardcore PvP should settle with today market MMO games that in no way fulfill our wishes is laughable at best.
    Whats laugable is expecting devs to create a new MMORPG for an audience that was last seen back in the 90s.

Today's games do fulfill some of your wishes, quit waiting for one that satisfies them all, it is never going to happen.

I should know, I've been waiting for DAOC 2 since 2003 and a ground based version of EVE since 2013, those aren't anywhere on the horizon either.

Support whats available, even if its on a freeshard (thats where I get my DAOC fix) 

Or play a survival game or BR, seems every game maker is going to have one.