Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PUBG Corp Has Filed a Copyright Infringement Suit Against Epic's Fortnite - PlayerUnknown's Battlegr

2»

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Frivolous doesn't even begin to describe this lawsuit.
    Ozmodan

Joined - July 2004

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited May 2018
    rammur65 said:

Galaa said:

So should H1Z1 sue Pubg then?

actually no the dev behind pubg are the ones who made the h1z1 battle royales so not how that works
    No. H1Z1 is done by Daybreak, PUBG is done by PUBG corporation. Copyrights belong to the company, and after leaving employees aren't allowed to copy any more of their own previous work for a new product than a total stranger.
    Kynmore[Deleted User]SabracMadFrenchie

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Vrika said:
    rammur65 said:

Galaa said:

So should H1Z1 sue Pubg then?

actually no the dev behind pubg are the ones who made the h1z1 battle royales so not how that works
    No. H1Z1 is done by Daybreak, PUBG is done by PUBG corporation. Copyrights belong to the company, and after leaving employees aren't allowed to copy any more of their own previous work for a new product than a total stranger.
    Even so, PlayerUnknown made the original mod, worked on H1Z1, then went to make PUBG. I don't think PUBG corporation can sue Daybreak for something worked on by the main designer on their team. Fortnite on the other hand wasn't worked on by him, but I still don't think they will get any traction in court.  
  • DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Surely there is a big conflict of interest case here? Suing the company you lease your games engine from and isn't it made of a lot of base engine assets? Wonder what it would take for Epic to revoke the rights to use/licence their engine.

Not that i am sure they would care... at one point they had like 3.5mil concurrent players which is a whole load of box sales and they have probably put about 10-15%? of the profits back into the game. I mean what news worthy events have happened since its launch? They added vaulting and a single map, with another one months away?.

Try investing some of the profits back into the game if you want it to be the better game... but atm even if they were to win a lawsuit, im sure none of it be put into the games development.
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    edited May 2018
    For those calling PUBG the first...Long before PUBG ARMA 2 had Battle Royal mods and even better was the "Hunger Games" mode in Minecraft. And 3 months before PUBG hit a game called "The Culling" was released on Steam. PUBG is not, and never was, the first.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    Id Software should sue all FPS developers based on this retarded logic. 
    SabracrojoArcueidTacticalZombeh
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Good luck with that.  
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    They won't be able to sue on the basis of Battle Royale (or anything of the sort). That is not copyright material, as it's an idea. From my understanding, the general rules of a game are not enforced by copyright.

You would have to sue on very specific elements. For example, both games have a blue circular wall that restricts the game area. This is something you could borderline enforce, if the walls are similar enough.

The expressions of the games are so different though. You couldn't have made them any more different artistically. One is an army shooter, the other one has zombies and talking llamas. If this lawsuit goes in favour of PUBG, pretty much any game could sue any other game within its genre. Unless the lawsuit is about something extremely specific (which hopefully it is - otherwise the irony of the whole situation is beyond me).
  • SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Well this is sad to see, since a long time ago when pubg corp made known their disagreement about epic making Fortnite BR i'd imagined this day would come it was just a matter of time.

I don't have a favorite side here but i can bet it won't end well for PUBG and their decision to focus on this instead of improving and making more content for the game won't sit well with their community.
    [Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    It's not even personal when a company abandons a game like that- I don't want to put money into a game developed by a dev with a track record of starting development on a FotM genre only to abandon it because they didn't take point in the genre.  It signals a lack of vision when they jump directly on the bandwagon, and abandoning it further shows they don't have a solid direction of their own to take, they're just swimming with the current.

• DisantiaDisantia Member UncommonPosts: 50
    The article says "specifically at epic games korea". Is it something to do with the game over there or is that just the place the lawsuit is directed at and involves the game world wide?
    [Deleted User]
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Torval said:
    REd-Wind said:
    Epic has some bad Karma coming at them for cancelling Paragon.
    I think closing Paragon to focus on the money is kind of sleazy. But bad karma? I don't think so.
    https://www.mmorpg.com/paragon/news/epic-to-close-paragon-on-april-26th-1000047206 
    They gave full refunds.

I'm still less likely to play a game from a publisher or studio that ditches a game like that. I'm not a fan of Epic at all with Sweeney and his ridiculous Windows 10 rants or some of the decisions they've made, but they did the right thing with the refunds. No "bad karma" there.

On the other hand a studio like Bluehole that has repeatedly showed poor integrity and character with a penchant for being litigious, I think they have some karma coming their way if you believe in that sort of thing.
    I consider Paragon to be an example of integrity on EPIC's part. It wasn't a good game. It was never good. The developers never had a vision for it beyond "third person sci fi moba with good graphics." Somehow, despite this and a small, rapidly dwindling fanbase, the game still received several major gamewide reworks. None of these reworks suggested an overall vision for the game. None of these reworks made the game stand out from the competition in any way other than graphics. And none of these reworks significantly raised the population.

You have to cut your losses somewhere. Paragon was a dud from start to finish. But to EPIC's credit, when they utterly fail to produce a decent game, they apparently refund its players in full.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Brendan Greene is going to kill not only his own game, but his business and his reputation with this ridiculous suing spree. He has no ground to sue anyone, everything in his game has been done before.
    viddiot

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Renoaku said:
    PUBG was still the first, and made millions, like sure Fortnite makes millions now, but PUBG still was the first and still did the game modes first, Fortnite did copy many of their aspects except the "Building & Battle Pass.

Only difference right now besides building is Fortntie has a bunch of little annoying kids on the mics in randoms PUBG not so much anymore, I still prefer PUBG over Fortnite personally, because Fortnite has too many cheaters, and people using Bots to build and scripts.

Honestly I have seen a few people claim it was the first but it was not. You have H1Z1 and if you REALLY want to get in to it you have planet side as well. Granted it was faction based but its the same concept. This reminds me of those people who claim WoW was the first mmo. Please educate your self a bit before posting such things.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_(film)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_(novel)

Both came out in 1999... so will the author and director be allowed to sue all the spinoffs from their work?
    Should have trademarked the term "Battle Royale", but then it was in Japanese, the original wording.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • ArimaWasTakenArimaWasTaken Member UncommonPosts: 21
    People keep posting comments without taking the time to read the article or do some research. They're not suing because of the GENRE they're suing because of the blatant carbon copies of PUBG features AS they are. (i.e: falling down with a parachute at the beginning of the game into an island that slowly closes.) They're obviously different games that cater to different types of players; one is not better than the other, they're two different high quality games. But Epic Games themselves have stated that they did IN FACT take inspiration on PUBG's work, so it's not even an argument here.The real issue here is the imitation on FUNDAMENTAL features that Fortnite has copied.

Whether you like Fortnite over PUBG or viceversa has nothing to do with the lawsuit in itself and is not a remotely valid argument. Be objective, my friends.
    viddiot[Deleted User]
  • viddiotviddiot Member UncommonPosts: 14
    People keep posting comments without taking the time to read the article or do some research. They're not suing because of the GENRE they're suing because of the blatant carbon copies of PUBG features AS they are. (i.e: falling down with a parachute at the beginning of the game into an island that slowly closes.) They're obviously different games that cater to different types of players; one is not better than the other, they're two different high quality games. But Epic Games themselves have stated that they did IN FACT take inspiration on PUBG's work, so it's not even an argument here.The real issue here is the imitation on FUNDAMENTAL features that Fortnite has copied.

Whether you like Fortnite over PUBG or viceversa has nothing to do with the lawsuit in itself and is not a remotely valid argument. Be objective, my friends.
    Still a petty law suit. Games take inspiration, and even mimic mechanics from each other all the time. Its flattery. They are pissed because Epic was more successful. I don't care for Fortnite, and prefer Paragon to be honest. I even have more fun playing PUBG over Fortnite, but suing Epic just seems low to me. 
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Meanwhile at Tencent ...

[Deleted User]KyleranMadFrenchie