Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy Tactics 2 (cancelled sequel) New Pictures!

MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
I can easily say that Final Fantasy Tactics on PS1 was my favorite FF game ever.  Only inching past FF6, but none the less I still hold it at the highest pillar of that franchise's success.  There was a sequel/spin-off for the Nintendo DS handheld system.  But it was garbage in comparison imo.

I always wondered if there were ever any plans on a second Tactics.  Apparently there was.  

\

I wish someone would finish this.  But I know it's only a pipe dream sadly.  

Sources:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/umadori0726/archives/53518843.html

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2018/05/20/final-fantasy-tactics-director-shares-images-of-canceled-sequel.aspx
[Deleted User]

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I am not too sure how Final Fantasy Tactics would do today. Also you have to factor in the money side of things. A game like Final Fantasy Tactics draws a players attention for months. Months they could be playing other games.
  • IceDarkIceDark Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Cleffy said:
    I am not too sure how Final Fantasy Tactics would do today. Also you have to factor in the money side of things. A game like Final Fantasy Tactics draws a players attention for months. Months they could be playing other games.
    While I agree, a game like FFT , with some changes to reflect today's .. market ( needs ) , will still have a solid player base. 
    MrMelGibson
    The Ice is dark and full of terror.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Cleffy said:
    There are plenty of Strategy RPGs out today that are successful and fun.  Just look at X-com 1 and 2 or all 3 Shadowrun games.  I don't delude myself into thinking it would be the next big game.  But, I'm positive it would do well enough.  

Then again, these pictures are from a long time ago.  It wasn't something they recently canned.  So i'm not really sure why it would matter if it did well today or not.  If it wouldn't of been cancelled, it would of launched most likely 15+ years ago.
  • techblogger911techblogger911 Member CommonPosts: 18
    I can easily say that Final Fantasy Tactics on PS1 was my favorite FF game ever.  Only inching past FF6, but none the less I still hold it at the highest pillar of that franchise's success.  There was a sequel/spin-off for the Nintendo DS handheld system.  But it was garbage in comparison imo.

I always wondered if there were ever any plans on a second Tactics.  Apparently there was.  

\

I wish someone would finish this.  But I know it's only a pipe dream sadly.  

Sources:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/umadori0726/archives/53518843.html

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2018/05/20/final fantasy tactics-director-shares-images-of-canceled-sequel.aspx

I agree. that really sucks. Also FFT is one of my favorite series. Shame its been so long since another installation.

To anyone here clamoring for more FFT that may not be in the know there are hours more adventure waiting in custom roms. I recommend checking out FFHACKTICS and the Celdia Complete Mod.

MrMelGibson
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited May 2018
    I absolutely love these types of games. Blackguard, Shadowrun, Xcom , Banner Saga so am mighty sad this is not coming to be.
    MrMelGibson
    Chamber of Chains
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2018
    I thought it looked a bit cheaply designed a trend SE has been doing a lot of lately.I do realize it was released long ago in 1997,however i was enjoying more robust games like the Might N Magic series at that time.

They SE have also begun using the same assets for more than 1 game,again cutting corners putting in less effort.My point is that seeing how they have been designing games of late,i am not sure i want to see anything from them right now.

To say the least,i have been very disappointed in SE the last several years.
    I still feel that FFX is their best work for a single player game with maybe the best story and lore ever in any of their games.Although for combat/class design i love FF3 which FFXI is based off of.

Looking over the Director's history i can see why i never much cared for tactics,he has never really done anything great in the industry although i know friends of mine also love FF tactics.Apparently his tactics game is basically a copy of his first game he made for a different company so he never really did anything creative once joining Squaresoft.

Aegiris

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I thought FFTA was damn good.  FFT was a great game but it had some SERIOUS issues with basic QoL things like being able to cancel a movement action for example.  There was also some very broken classes like Knights with Dual Wield basically= unbeatable.  

I too wish they had made a full-on sequel though.
    MrMelGibson
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I thought FFTA was damn good.  FFT was a great game but it had some SERIOUS issues with basic QoL things like being able to cancel a movement action for example.  There was also some very broken classes like Knights with Dual Wield basically= unbeatable.  

I too wish they had made a full-on sequel though.
    I just couldn't get into the story of FFTA.  It was literally terrible in comparison.  The other things never bothered me.  The story of FFT on PS1 is why it's such an amazing game.  For it's time, it had one of the best storylines every made in a video game imo.
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited May 2018
    I guess there's still hope that Square Enix will finish it later, but that's terrible news.  It would be fantastic for the switch.  I wonder if there was any talk of starting development over for that platform.

Interesting note about the original:  At one point in time it was trading / reselling for more than it did new.  Since it wasn't labeled as "Classic," (the old CD case with the green stripe on the side.  I.E. it wasn't a numbered Final Fantasy) it was discontinued from production.  You couldn't find a copy anywhere.  I sold mine, and thought I'd never find a copy again until they rereleased it.  This was all before the PS2 came out.
    MrMelGibson

• AegirisAegiris Member UncommonPosts: 49
    FFT is a fantastic game.  The storytelling is by far better than anything they have ever done, and it's the main reason I love the Ivalice lore.  I can't even count how many times I've played through it.

While the "sequel," FFT:Advance, was pretty weak, the second one was a much stronger game.  It surprises me they would drop this project.  The Fire Emblem series seems to be going strong.  Sure, it's got a different vibe and mechanics, but it's still a strategy RPG.  Their mobile game is one of the best on the market right now.
    MrMelGibson
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Aegiris said:
    FFT is a fantastic game.  The storytelling is by far better than anything they have ever done, and it's the main reason I love the Ivalice lore.  I can't even count how many times I've played through it.

While the "sequel," FFT:Advance, was pretty weak, the second one was a much stronger game.  It surprises me they would drop this project.  The Fire Emblem series seems to be going strong.  Sure, it's got a different vibe and mechanics, but it's still a strategy RPG.  Their mobile game is one of the best on the market right now.
    Disgaea too.
    Aegiris
  • HatterGuyHatterGuy Member UncommonPosts: 12
    If they can release this on mobile or any handheld that could be amazing.
    MrMelGibson