Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - New $27,000 Pack

124»

Comments

  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 3,965
    edited May 2018
    Babuinix said:
    His argument is fatally flawed.  Cars retain market value on their own merits and cannot be taken away from you just cause Ford is done with the model.  Nor can Ford alter the GT once you purchase it.  Nice try, though.
    Cars lose market value as soon as they leave the stand. They can be faulty and crash you into your death.

    My 2013's backers account might not be worth much for you but $500+ or even $1k for some people just because of the exclusive items and added ship's.

    The value you give to things is ultimately your own, so is the money you decide to spend on them.

    I get your point here, but cars have value to them that's largely independent of the manufacturer's whims.  The GT is more expensive because it's literally more expensive to produce.  It's more expensive to manufacture these nicer cars- a problem CIG doesn't have with digital assets.  Reproduction is pretty much free.  About the only parallel between the two there is limiting supply helps push up cost.

    Folks can mod their cars and make them even more valuable.  Those parts have real value that adds to the car.  Those parts, and the car itself, are actually owned by the buyer.  You don't own these ships.  You wouldn't own them if you offered CIG double their asking price for it.
    Ofc it has costs to make, all those ship's need to be "manufactured" and the big ones are just "the biggest and more detailed 1:1 scale playable and usable vehicles in and out" of any game ever made. These are flying levels on their own and probably cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to make and make "work".





    Yes reproduction is "free" but getting there is highly costly, considering the time doing R&D alone should go over a 1million lol.

    Besides a lot of these big ships are not for sale any more, or are only 1 time per year. That package is aimed for people/orgs who already got most of these ships but they were spread in their account, with this pack they are all together, organized and easier to track.

  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    Also depends on the terms, for instance I could easily link you to a site where you can hire a car for a month that costs more than this package.
    Yea, but you have the option with cars to lease or buy.  You have no real option to actually purchase these ships.  You're just leasing them at CIG's whim.
    Well that's not necessarily true, Chris Roberts might be open to selling the rights, you could always ask.

    I guess with this line of thought, when I buy food I should probably not eat it and just keep it on display or something :/
    What?  Your second sentence makes no sense.

    image
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2018
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:
    His argument is fatally flawed.  Cars retain market value on their own merits and cannot be taken away from you just cause Ford is done with the model.  Nor can Ford alter the GT once you purchase it.  Nice try, though.
    Cars lose market value as soon as they leave the stand. They can be faulty and crash you into your death.

    My 2013's backers account might not be worth much for you but $500+ or even $1k for some people just because of the exclusive items and added ship's.

    The value you give to things is ultimately your own, so is the money you decide to spend on them.

    I get your point here, but cars have value to them that's largely independent of the manufacturer's whims.  The GT is more expensive because it's literally more expensive to produce.  It's more expensive to manufacture these nicer cars- a problem CIG doesn't have with digital assets.  Reproduction is pretty much free.  About the only parallel between the two there is limiting supply helps push up cost.

    Folks can mod their cars and make them even more valuable.  Those parts have real value that adds to the car.  Those parts, and the car itself, are actually owned by the buyer.  You don't own these ships.  You wouldn't own them if you offered CIG double their asking price for it.
    Ofc it has costs to make, all those ship's need to be "manufactured" and the big ones are just "the biggest and more detailed 1:1 scale playable and usable vehicles in and out" of any game ever made. These are flying levels on their own and probably cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to make and make "work".



    Yes reproduction is "free" but getting there is highly costly, considering the time doing R&D alone should go over a 1million lol.

    Besides a lot of these big ships are not for sale any more, or are only 1 time per year. That package is aimed for people/orgs who already got most of these ships but they were spread in their account, with this pack they are all together, organized and easier to track.
    I would submit that, in the absence of direct evidence to the contrary, getting there is no more costly than designing and manufacturing a new fiesta.  From there, CIG's costs almost vanish, where Ford's do not.

    image
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    Also depends on the terms, for instance I could easily link you to a site where you can hire a car for a month that costs more than this package.
    Yea, but you have the option with cars to lease or buy.  You have no real option to actually purchase these ships.  You're just leasing them at CIG's whim.
    Well that's not necessarily true, Chris Roberts might be open to selling the rights, you could always ask.

    I guess with this line of thought, when I buy food I should probably not eat it and just keep it on display or something :/
    Yes this sounds like a "real" option.

    When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 3,965
    edited May 2018
    MadFrenchie said:I would submit that, in the absence of direct evidence to the contrary, getting there is no more costly than designing and manufacturing a new fiesta.  From there, CIG's costs almost vanish, where Ford's do not.
    I think it's more like building a rocket and colonize Mars than a new Fiesta since it has never been done before. :D
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Babuinix said:
    MadFrenchie said:I would submit that, in the absence of direct evidence to the contrary, getting there is no more costly than designing and manufacturing a new fiesta.  From there, CIG's costs almost vanish, where Ford's do not.
    I think it's more like building a rocket and colonize Mars than a new Fiesta since it has never been done before. :D
    I didn't come up with the Fiesta example, that was your boy in the video.

    And I don't think it's quite like colonizing Mars. They're putting a lot of different game types together, sure, but many of the parts, taken individually, appear similar to systems we see in other games.
    Octagon7711Kefo

    image
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    Also depends on the terms, for instance I could easily link you to a site where you can hire a car for a month that costs more than this package.
    Yea, but you have the option with cars to lease or buy.  You have no real option to actually purchase these ships.  You're just leasing them at CIG's whim.
    Well that's not necessarily true, Chris Roberts might be open to selling the rights, you could always ask.

    I guess with this line of thought, when I buy food I should probably not eat it and just keep it on display or something :/
    What?  Your second sentence makes no sense.
    As long as the perceived value is achieved, where is the issue?


  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    Also depends on the terms, for instance I could easily link you to a site where you can hire a car for a month that costs more than this package.
    Yea, but you have the option with cars to lease or buy.  You have no real option to actually purchase these ships.  You're just leasing them at CIG's whim.
    Well that's not necessarily true, Chris Roberts might be open to selling the rights, you could always ask.

    I guess with this line of thought, when I buy food I should probably not eat it and just keep it on display or something :/
    What?  Your second sentence makes no sense.
    As long as the perceived value is achieved, where is the issue?


    Sure, if you'd like to look at it like that.  I'd surmise that, until the products are delivered with a complete game to use them in, there's not a large number of folks who feel they've already received even adequate "perceived" value at this point.
    Odeezee

    image
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    Also depends on the terms, for instance I could easily link you to a site where you can hire a car for a month that costs more than this package.
    Yea, but you have the option with cars to lease or buy.  You have no real option to actually purchase these ships.  You're just leasing them at CIG's whim.
    Well that's not necessarily true, Chris Roberts might be open to selling the rights, you could always ask.

    I guess with this line of thought, when I buy food I should probably not eat it and just keep it on display or something :/
    What?  Your second sentence makes no sense.
    As long as the perceived value is achieved, where is the issue?


    Sure, if you'd like to look at it like that.  I'd surmise that, until the products are delivered with a complete game to use them in, there's not a large number of folks who feel they've already received even adequate "perceived" value at this point.
    Hard to judge, I can only state I am completely satisfied with what I have had in return for my $35 already.
    MadFrenchie
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Orinori said:

    Hard to judge, I can only state I am completely satisfied with what I have had in return for my $35 already.
    If one were to purchase a package, what would they be able to do in-game. 


    Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    edited May 2018
    Orinori said:

    Hard to judge, I can only state I am completely satisfied with what I have had in return for my $35 already.
    If one were to purchase a package, what would they be able to do in-game. 


    Cryomatrix

    I guess that would depend on your computer specs!

    This is what you can do in game now (borrowed from the bunny)

    "What you can do:

    In Arena Commander:
    Ship PvP 
    FPS PvP
    Ship PvE (waves getting stronger and stronger)

    Racing:
    Ship racing on dedicated tracks
    and much more fun: 
    Ship racing on moons (think Star Wars "Beggars Canyon Run")
    vehicle racing (with fast buggies or hoverbikes, including jumping across canyons, with the ships racing IN the canyon ;- )

    in the Hangar:
    hangar interior decoration with various pieces of art and furniture
    fiddling around with the loadout of your ships

    in the ArcCorp module:
    social interaction in the bar
    dancing
    buying
    golfcart crashcar derbies

    in the Crusader mini-Universe modules
    mission running
    ship PvP and PvE
    FPS PvP
    mapping 
    exploration (including looting wrecks for special usable items like rifles)
    buying and selling
    player generated missions (transport, fight, pirating)
    transport jobs
    social interaction, parties and player events
    Quantum travel interceptions / pirating
    escorting / merc jobs
    boarding / anti-boarding fights in large (!) ships
    testing the system to its limits (like dropping vehicles from orbit) - after all we are Alpha testers
    fooling around with vendor machines (The Big Benny Challenge ;-) ) 
    exploring stations (including hidden pirate bases with their own shops)

    and more (whatever players come up with - more and more every day)"

    Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/473298/so-what-can-a-player-do#DLg7iA4gZg85oMGq.99

    small video of some things -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=260&v=u2miaJkxVvM
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 3,965
    edited May 2018
    If one were to purchase a package, what would they be able to do in-game.

    Cryomatrix
    I cant recommend anyone to buy Star Citizen unless they expect nothing more than a pre-alpha game in heavy development and subject to: Delays, Changes, Bad Performance and lot's of bugs and glitches.

    With that said, the minimum requirements to have fun would be:

    QuadCore CPU, GPU +4GB,  16GB RAM and a SSD.

    What's available is:

    Online Universe sandbox with only 50 max people capacity for now. Has several quests to earn credits to spend mostly on avatar gear and weapons. There's safe places and lawless places, pve and pvp are possible. 

    Planetary landings/flying

    A Dogfighting Module PVE/PVP/Coop


    A FPS Module

    Ground Vehicles

    Space Bikes

    Racing Track Module

    Basic Tutorial when starting in the Online Universe


    KyleranOrinoriEldurianZandog
Sign In or Register to comment.