Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Community Counts - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageGuild Wars 2 - Community Counts - MMORPG.com

I can safely say after spending more time in the land of Tyria, I found myself having more and more of an enjoyable experience with Guild Wars 2. Although it is for different reasons than I thought it would be and that’s not a bad thing at all. In my all time playing MMORPGs I mainly looking for a couple of things,: one of those things that play probably the most important part to me is : Community.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I agree with the comments. While I may love certain games, a toxic community wears on me and always factors into to my decision to leave a game. Of the games I play regularly, TSWL, FF14 and GW2 are the best communities.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I agree with the comments. While I may love certain games, a toxic community wears on me and always factors into to my decision to leave a game. Of the games I play regularly, TSWL, FF14 and GW2 are the best communities.

I completely agree with this. In GW2 I've had nothing but nice community members. Same thing in FFXIV, I partied in dungeons while leveling a new class, and every time we wiped, I never saw anyone get mad, everyone just explained what to do to the player.
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    I met one of my best friends playing GW2. We've been best friends going on 3 years now and I'm truly grateful for her friendship, loyalty, and for putting up with my elitist play style lol.

My two pieces of advice;

As a new player DON'T use your level 80 boost.

Outside of map completion; I highly recommend looking through your "Achievements tab" and checking out the 1000s of hours worth of activities you can do in there. These can range from unlocking precursors for legendary weapons, to collections quests for ascended weapons. As a completionist myself, I've always enjoyed going after every achievement possible. Not all rewards are created equal, but most of them are worth going after for the items.
    maplelunii

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Guild Wars 2 has one of the most consistently friendly communities I've ever been a part of (outside of PvP/WvW at least). It comes down to great game design. Trolling mechanics are rare, rewards are personal, and there is no competition for resources. Seeing another player is almost always a good thing. You have to go out of your way to troll other players (ie via intentional bad placement of bank/merchant npc's) and these are minor inconveniences at worst.
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543

Aeander said:

Guild Wars 2 has one of the most consistently friendly communities I've ever been a part of (outside of PvP/WvW at least). It comes down to great game design. Trolling mechanics are rare, rewards are personal, and there is no competition for resources. Seeing another player is almost always a good thing. You have to go out of your way to troll other players (ie via intentional bad placement of bank/merchant npc's) and these are minor inconveniences at worst.

And by purposely running past another players dead corpse and not revive them, when you clearly could've!

APThug said:

Aeander said:

And by purposely running past another players dead corpse and not revive them, when you clearly could've!
    That's not necessarily trolling. If you have reason to believe that they were afk, reviving them could just leave them with more damaged/broken gear. 
    ElquinStoneRosesThupli
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I agree also. I was struck with how polite the community is, I've never seen so many tys typed into an MMO chat. Players are very helpful and have no problems helping others. I joined a guild which is something I rarely do and the people were very helpful often giving stuff to other guild member in need as well as throwing a lot of events and helping member or how ever else was around with new content. Always managed to find help when needed when HoT content came out and I still see people leading leveling groups through HoT on the rare occasions I go back there.

One of the other things I like about the game is the auction house. Being able to keep your inventory under control by having a link to the auction house makes the game so must more enjoyable and means I can spend more time adventuring then managing inventory.

Of course you always have your bad eggs but overall the community has been a good one and this is one of the reason I've stayed with the game since launch.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    I still want Guild WARS 2.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Aeander said:

lol I've done that a few times, right on top of the barrels during the Taidha Covington event. I think lots of people have. My favorite is this one troll mes who always drops a port; daily I might add. right over the port at the end of reset Cobalt triple trouble. Another favorite is dodging the Bloated Creeper pulls into the zerg during Tequatl. Most times it's really harmless fun, I think some folks just get themselves worked up over things and forget it's a game. I know it can be annoying, but most times I find myself laughing about the random trolling.
    Loki2018
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Now I wanna play GW 2 again. Thanks, Josh! >.< Not sure what your forum handle is, sorry!

• CIB3CIB3 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    edited May 2018
    it's easy:

Open World PvP game = toxic community, 90% of them being idiots with bully mentality. The game is dead after a couple of months.
    PvE game = great community in general, and the game have a long life if it is good enought.
    Thupli
    CIB3 said:
    it's easy:

Open World PvP game = toxic community, 90% of them being idiots with bully mentality. The game is dead after a couple of months.
    PvE game = great community in general, and the game have a long life if it is good enought.
    Yes, but goes so much deeper than that with Guild Wars 2 in particular.

There is no mob/boss stealing. There is no competition for harvesting nodes. There is no need vs greed loot rolling in raids. Having other players around doesn't ruin dynamic events or slow down leveling. So many of the common sources of drama in MMO PvE are not problems in Guild Wars 2. It is the friendliest possible MMO experience of the modern day because of its intelligent reward mechanics.
    ElquinOctagon7711EvilGeekrojoArcueid
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Don't go to WvW if you want to maintain your pristine vision of the GW2 community... I returned to GW2 about a week ago and for the most part, yes it is a very good community with some kind and helpful people. Last night I decided to go to EB and there was a commander berating everyone in chat about how much our DPS sucked and we can't kill anything. Eh.. left a sour taste in my mouth and I left WvW. Apparently that commander did not know who he was fighting... he was fighting Black Gate who has been the top WvW server for as long as I can remember. But yeah, anyways... GW2 is a great game with a wonderful community but just like everywhere else, virtual or real, there's always some asshole.
  • ReverielleReverielle Member UncommonPosts: 133
    It's quite a nice community yes, one of the better ones. Honestly though I don't feel it comes close to the community of Lord of the Rings Online. That game's community seemed so much nicer than any other online gaming community, so much so that it's almost cruel to compare other MMOs to it.
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    For me it's about two things: PVP and que-able PVE content.
  • evolgrinzevolgrinz Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Community is very important for me too.
    My 1st day in GW2 was an amazing experience. I just finished my tutorial and I was greeted by a cool looking playing and started talking. Gave me some pointers on the class (ranger) and handed me a few items to get me started.
    Because of that experience, I was instantly hooked to the game and haven't been disappointed ever by the friendliness of the community. Of course, there are a few area's where the toxicity level is higher, like ranked pvp and to some extend also hardcore raids, and fractal CM's.
  • GrintchGrintch Member UncommonPosts: 132
    I agree too, the community is great but I never could get used to the combat like you did.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    So no articles about the problems of an ever inflating economy due to real money for gold, or the lack of meaningful content, or the feeling of having no purpose with your class/spec because of the design flaws, or even the balance issues such as the engineer bombs/mines still being a weak spec.... so the only thing you can write about is that the community is good. That's great you can find a good community anywhere....
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

So no articles about the problems of an ever inflating economy due to real money for gold, or the lack of meaningful content, or the feeling of having no purpose with your class/spec because of the design flaws, or even the balance issues such as the engineer bombs/mines still being a weak spec.... so the only thing you can write about is that the community is good. That's great you can find a good community anywhere....

The game is pretty much an achievement based game. If you don't care about getting achievements you won't find any point to the game at end game. As for your issue, most of it has been resolved, you just have to know how to spec and gear your class based on how you like to play. I made a tanky thief, and while he can't face melt, I like the survival solobility aspects of it. If you can't find a spec you like, play a different class.
    Octagon7711
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Fallen5Fallen5 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I would have started learning conquest pvp much sooner. It took me a while to get the hang of it because none of the pve taught me close to enough to understand what was really going on. once I really learned the combat system and how to fight other players it became much more fun. became more fun to play and making new builds became a lot more fun. and now im learning other classes better and having more fun trying them out.
    start getting through the story to get to the expansions. get those hero points so you can unlock your elite specs. get to path of fire to get your mounts. both expansion hero points give you 10 per hero point. in lfg you can find groups doing hero point runs through the expansion maps in the jungle. if you want to grind for gold start looking into the maps meta events and world bosses. look into fractals, they can be fun quick dungeon grinds almost like an arpg and you can get some extra good gear in there and a good amount of gold. id also get used to using both action and tab target combat. I only use action combat now and it gives you some advantages in ways I did not think of before getting used to it.
    right now conquest pvp is the only thing i do though because now nothing else is as fun
    edited May 2018
    and lfg works great in gw2 for anything in pve