Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How I Feel About Star Citizen At This Point

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    SQ42 is intended to have a female protagonist as well, but aside of the whole voice-over actor for it, it requires a major pass over animations and everything as SQ42 is heavily mocap to make it properly work with both models, it is already a problem to solve to implement it on the PU.

SC will obviously deff get it, but SQ42 they may consider the demand for it vs the effort required to make it so.
    Gdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Babuinix said:

Squadron 42 vertical slice showcased several more female NPC's, but you won't play as a female as the main player is male.
    So no female players at all in SQ42?
    Space is a man's world galaxy but it would be nothing, nothing, without a woman or a girl.

ArglebargleJamesGoblin
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    They even had a female dev play as a male character in a demo still using her voice.
    That was a demo to show the facial expression capture software they intend to offer to the players - and it was intentional that a female dev transferred her facial expressions onto a male avatar.

Have fun
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Erillion said:
    They even had a female dev play as a male character in a demo still using her voice.
    That was a demo to show the facial expression capture software they intend to offer to the players - and it was intentional that a female dev transferred her facial expressions onto a male avatar.

Have fun
    I'm thinking the correct word is, available. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    MaxBacon said:
    SQ42 is intended to have a female protagonist as well, but aside of the whole voice-over actor for it, it requires a major pass over animations and everything as SQ42 is heavily mocap to make it properly work with both models, it is already a problem to solve to implement it on the PU.

SC will obviously deff get it, but SQ42 they may consider the demand for it vs the effort required to make it so.
    And that's a legit call by the developers.  If the game is single player, and the story of one particular, named character, that's a perfectly good route.

They may also be looking at the gender split on their financing player base.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

And that's a legit call by the developers.  If the game is single player, and the story of one particular, named character, that's a perfectly good route.

We can have a both linear storyline that relies on the the gender of the protagonist to play the story, like Witcher 3, or a story that is purposedly gender-neutral to allow both, like Mass Effect.

I personally think the gender-neutral campaigns can be wonky at times, because they have to purposely make everything on voice acting and all to never mention a "he or she" type of thing.
    Arglebargle
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2018
    MaxBacon said:

We can have a both linear storyline that relies on the the gender of the protagonist to play the story, like Witcher 3, or a story that is purposedly gender-neutral to allow both, like Mass Effect.

I personally think the gender-neutral campaigns can be wonky at times, because they have to purposely make everything on voice acting and all to never mention a "he or she" type of thing.
    "Commander, can you do this for me?  Commander, wait I almost forgot!  Commander, would you like to talk about us?  Commander, I love you.  Commander, prepare to die!  Me and the Commander, we're like two peas in a pod.  The Commander here is making a terrible decision!  No way, the Commander is making the right call!" <---  Mass Effect Dialogue in a nutshell. :D
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblin

Commander!

MaxBacon said:

"Commander, can you do this for me?  Commander, wait I almost forgot!  Commander, would you like to talk about us?  Commander, I love you.  Commander, prepare to die!  Me and the Commander, we're like two peas in a pod.  The Commander here is making a terrible decision!  No way, the Commander is making the right call!" <---  Mass Effect Dialogue in a nutshell. :D
    Never bothered me, probably because we called male and female supervisors and co-workers by their rank rather then sir or ma'am or even he or she.  If we were friends or knew them really well we could informally call them by their first names.

But I do like the RPGs that have you enter your name during character creation and referred to you by name and even worked your interests into the story throughout the game.
    MadFrenchie

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
    Not many "Commander's" here but plenty of "Lieutenant's" :D

Babuinix said:

The first rule of being a hero is you never, ever, EVER allow folks to refer to you by using a pronoun.
    Odeezee

What if you are the anti-hero?
    Babuinix said:

The first rule of being a hero is you never, ever, EVER allow folks to refer to you by using a pronoun.
    I thought the first rule was never let people see you without your mask on, but that rule gets broken all the time now in Hollywood these days.
    MadFrenchie

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Eldurian said:
    My main issue when game development drags on is "Will it be outdated by the time it releases?" That is a very serious concern for some of the lower budget crowdfunded games.

Thankfully Star Citizen has 2 big things going for it.

1. It has almost no competition from AAA MMOs currently in development because the only thing we are getting on AAA MMOs currently in development is rumors.

As graphics improve it takes longer, and longer, and longer for me to feel like an older game is "outdated". The tech being used in Star Citizen is so cutting edge I question if it will ever feel outdated to me.

Given these two factors I'm content to say "It will get here when it gets here."
    I think it is the art style more than the tech that makes a game not age badly.  I just fired up Dark Messiah: Might and Magic and even though you could see the age. . it still looked great!  That is the environment.  If you look at the character models they are a little weaker :)
    Octagon7711

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Babuinix said:
    What if you are the anti-hero?
    Then you strictly ONLY allow pronouns.

Aethaeryn said:
    Eldurian said:
    My main issue when game development drags on is "Will it be outdated by the time it releases?" That is a very serious concern for some of the lower budget crowdfunded games.

Thankfully Star Citizen has 2 big things going for it.

1. It has almost no competition from AAA MMOs currently in development because the only thing we are getting on AAA MMOs currently in development is rumors.

As graphics improve it takes longer, and longer, and longer for me to feel like an older game is "outdated". The tech being used in Star Citizen is so cutting edge I question if it will ever feel outdated to me.

Given these two factors I'm content to say "It will get here when it gets here."
    I think it is the art style more than the tech that makes a game not age badly.  I just fired up Dark Messiah: Might and Magic and even though you could see the age. . it still looked great!  That is the environment.  If you look at the character models they are a little weaker :)
    Awesome game which I still play from time to time.
    Babuinix

When the story is gender-locked it tends to provide better flow, such as Witcher 3 and so with the romance and all.

SQ42 shows to be that military more formal type of storyline so people tend to call you by your title, but still like to see things getting more personal I think they already did the mocap shots and all already considering the female character to not mention your gender or name.
    Aethaeryn said:
    Awesome game which I still play from time to time.
    Obligatory video:

Octagon7711
  • DurzaxDurzax Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Teala said:
    You know what is really beginning to annoy me?  They keep making excuses on why we don't have female avatars yet.  Don't give me this shit that well they have to perfect the male animations first.  Hell, now they are saying they might not even be available for SQ42.  Really? 
    This may be of help.

Seams as it has been forgotten.
    Also the female character will be playable if all goes well with 3.4 Decembers patch release.

Babuinix
    Durzax said:
    Teala said:
    You know what is really beginning to annoy me?  They keep making excuses on why we don't have female avatars yet.  Don't give me this shit that well they have to perfect the male animations first.  Hell, now they are saying they might not even be available for SQ42.  Really? 
    This may be of help.

Seams as it has been forgotten.
    Also the female character will be playable if all goes well with 3.4 Decembers patch release.

What part talked about the female avatars?  

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Aethaeryn said:

Star Citizen's art style is "as releastic as possible." Traditionally that model does not age well. However I feel like it's a model that ages progressively better with each new generation of realistic graphics.

An early 2000s realistic game looks like hot garbage IMO even though it was amazing at the time:

But if you compare to say, Assasin's Creed 2 which released in 2009:

That game does not look bad to me, even though it's nearly 10 years old. It doesn't look amazing, but it's graphics would not detract from my enjoyment of the game at all.

So when you compare it to something like this:

I'm not sure there will be a point within my lifetime that I'll look at a game like that and say "Man those graphics are awful. Really detracts from my enjoyment of the game!"

And I mean I think Wurm Online is a great game too but the graphics do take away from that a bit for me. If this game has solid gameplay combined with graphics like that I can wait a very long time because there is no MMO in site that is going to make this feel outdated.

Heck I heard they were making this game compatible with the oculus rift so even on the VR front looks like it's going to be a solid game for years to come.

Eldurian said:
    Aethaeryn said:

Star Citizen's art style is "as releastic as possible." Traditionally that model does not age well. However I feel like it's a model that ages progressively better with each new generation of realistic graphics.

An early 2000s realistic game looks like hot garbage IMO even though it was amazing at the time:

But if you compare to say, Assasin's Creed 2 which released in 2009:

That game does not look bad to me, even though it's nearly 10 years old. It doesn't look amazing, but it's graphics would not detract from my enjoyment of the game at all.

So when you compare it to something like this:

I'm not sure there will be a point within my lifetime that I'll look at a game like that and say "Man those graphics are awful. Really detracts from my enjoyment of the game!"

And I mean I think Wurm Online is a great game too but the graphics do take away from that a bit for me. If this game has solid gameplay combined with graphics like that I can wait a very long time because there is no MMO in site that is going to make this feel outdated.

Heck I heard they were making this game compatible with the oculus rift so even on the VR front looks like it's going to be a solid game for years to come.

No, you'll likely look back 20 years from now and go "Man, playing on a flat-screen monitor really detracts from my enjoyment of the game!" ;)

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited May 2018
    Right but as I said I'm 95% sure I heard this game is oculus rift compatible. I don't know for sure as I don't own one but I remember hearing that. So if that's true they are already prepared for that issue.

Also I kind of question if VR is really the future of gaming or something like 3D Movies or the Wii that will be really big for awhile but won't overtake traditional gaming.
    Eldurian said:
    Right but as I said I'm 95% sure I heard this game is oculus rift compatible. I don't know for sure as I don't own one but I remember hearing that. So if that's true they are already prepared for that issue.

Also I kind of question if VR is really the future of gaming or something like 3D Movies or the Wii that will be really big for awhile but won't overtake traditional gaming.
    Well, that's the thing, 20 years from now the Rift will be ancient, as will the underlying tech that allows Star Citizen to function in current VR.  Good chance new VR headsets 20 years from now have issues running such old titles, if we haven't moved on to AR products or something else, as you mention.

• DurzaxDurzax Member UncommonPosts: 87

Try 14 14 time stamp, the second question asked.

The RSI Roadmap 3.4 production card.
This discussion has been closed.