Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PUBG Corp Has Filed a Copyright Infringement Suit Against Epic's Fortnite - PlayerUnknown's Battlegr

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imagePUBG Corp Has Filed a Copyright Infringement Suit Against Epic's Fortnite - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - MMORPG.com

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds News - The Korea Times (via GameInformer) is reporting that PUBG Corp, the company behind PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, is suing Epic Games in Korea over copyright infringement with its game, Fortnite. The lawsuit wants a court to decide if Fortnite, or at least aspects of it such as the UI or in-game items were copied from PUBG. It appears that the injunction was filed in January with the Seoul Central District Court and specifically against Epic Games Korea.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Hopefully I'm not the only one laughing at this action taken by PUBG Corp. I mean I get they are massively butt hurt over the thanos promo but dang. I mean I dont personally care for either game, but obviously Epic is "winning" atm. This just shows pure desperation on PUBG's part.
    XingbairongRain_DeathravenPhryEponyxDamorOzmodanSabracAnOldFartspeedylegs8TacticalZombeh
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Albatroes said:
    Hopefully I'm not the only one laughing at this action taken by PUBG Corp. I mean I get they are massively butt hurt over the thanos promo but dang. I mean I dont personally care for either game, but obviously Epic is "winning" atm. This just shows pure desperation on PUBG's part.
    It does smack of sour grapes, that's for sure.
    XingbairongPhryEponyxDamorOzmodan[Deleted User]SabracMadFrenchiespeedylegs8

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Honestly with these actions they are only widening the gap between them, though not sure that we can even compare them. Fortnite is outright better.
    SBFordbobbymcswansonLazarus71Ozmodanspeedylegs8
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    This will open a whole can of worms if they do not properly decide this quickly too.

• GalaaGalaa Member UncommonPosts: 32
    So should H1Z1 sue Pubg then?
    SBFordMMOGamer71Rain_DeathravenPhryScellowOzmodanKynmoreMadFrenchiespeedylegs8Edzelaceand 2 others.
  • achmedeachmede Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Pathetic.
    Really, if your game is loosing players a lawsuit is no solution.
    ScellowOzmodanSabracspeedylegs8
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited May 2018
    If I had have known "MOBA" "Battle Royale" would have became so big maybe I should have created the concept over 15+ years ago just so I could have been rich by companies stealing patents :D. And yeah PUBG was the first game to come out "Fortnite was the second" the only thing different that "Fortnite" has done is add building to the game which makes it slightly different and obviously different skins, Battle Pass, and stuff but in reality it's just the same game with a twist and more adevertising to a younger player base cross platforms.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    If you don't make it first or do and it is not as successful as the next iteration, then sue. That's been the strategy since about the mid 1900's, so it is not going to change soon.
    SBFordLazarus71[Deleted User]
  • KitsunamiKitsunami Member UncommonPosts: 101
    So they'll lose their lawsuit and their engine in one go. Nice. I guess pubg is going down
    BruceYeePhryLazarus71
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I heard about the possibility awhile ago,seems they were not happy paying Epic all that money then seeing Epic move in and directly take away their customers.

Apparently PUBG has made multi millions,kind of crazy from such a simple game and imo not even that good.
    If anything, i would worry that PUBG is way more directly ripping off of H1Z1,i mean pretty much a direct copy,more so than Fortnite being a copy.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GalaaGalaa Member UncommonPosts: 32

Renoaku said:

If I had have known "MOBA" "Battle Royale" would have became so big maybe I should have created the concept over 15+ years ago just so I could have been rich by companies stealing patents :D.

And yeah PUBG was the first game to come out "Fortnite was the second" the only thing different that "Fortnite" has done is add building to the game which makes it slightly different and obviously different skins, Battle Pass, and stuff but in reality it's just the same game with a twist and more adevertising to a younger player base cross platforms.

H1Z1 came out before pubg.
    Rain_DeathravenMagikarpsGhost
  • AegirisAegiris Member UncommonPosts: 49

Renoaku said:

If I had have known "MOBA" "Battle Royale" would have became so big maybe I should have created the concept over 15+ years ago just so I could have been rich by companies stealing patents :D.

And yeah PUBG was the first game to come out "Fortnite was the second" the only thing different that "Fortnite" has done is add building to the game which makes it slightly different and obviously different skins, Battle Pass, and stuff but in reality it's just the same game with a twist and more adevertising to a younger player base cross platforms.

I asked my girl about this (she works in patent law). Apparently you can't patent/copyright/whatever functions or systems within software. Like, you can protect your logos and graphical designs and whatnot, but not the actual functions of the software. Or at least that's how she explained it to me. I'm sure there's some grey area or loopholes in there somewhere though.
    Ozmodan
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    This is hilarious, considering that PUBG is a borderline asset flip. 
    Alpius[Deleted User]RemyVorendermrputtsOzmodanspeedylegs8
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I would be very surprised if Fortnite didn't look carefully at this aspect.

And if PUNG are trying to argue "look and feel" then there are a myriad of games that came before them - not just H1Z1. At a stretch Apple might be able to sue!

Obviously PUBG Corp have decided that the "gamble" of getting a payoff is worth the cost of the stake. For sometimes sense seems to be left out of these things. Offset by the advertising it will generate of course.

It would be ironic if DBG copied PUBG Corp's claim and sued PUBG Corp - for H1Z1 violations! If they actually win it would be surprising if they didn't! 
    [Deleted User]
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Rhoklaw said:
    Aegiris said:

Renoaku said:

I asked my girl about this (she works in patent law). Apparently you can't patent/copyright/whatever functions or systems within software. Like, you can protect your logos and graphical designs and whatnot, but not the actual functions of the software. Or at least that's how she explained it to me. I'm sure there's some grey area or loopholes in there somewhere though.
    My guess would be that you can copyright stuff like code, aka engines or as you said logos. I'm not even sure you can copyright graphics unless maybe it's something created like a character, superhero or other IP. I highly doubt you can copyright M16 weapon graphics or numbers, colors, plants, animals or known things in the universe.
    Your graphics are copyrighted, but that copyright is limited to the asset you create. For example if you create a digital cat to your game, you own copyright for that digital cat, but others may lift your idea and create a new digital cat to their game. Then they'd own copyright to that other digital cat.

Copyright gives protection to the asset you create, but not your ideas.
    Ozmodan

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    PUBG was still the first, and made millions, like sure Fortnite makes millions now, but PUBG still was the first and still did the game modes first, Fortnite did copy many of their aspects except the "Building & Battle Pass.

Only difference right now besides building is Fortntie has a bunch of little annoying kids on the mics in randoms PUBG not so much anymore, I still prefer PUBG over Fortnite personally, because Fortnite has too many cheaters, and people using Bots to build and scripts.
    kertinRemyVorenderLazarus71forcelima
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Renoaku said:
    PUBG was still the first, and made millions, like sure Fortnite makes millions now, but PUBG still was the first and still did the game modes first, Fortnite did copy many of their aspects except the "Building & Battle Pass.

Only difference right now besides building is Fortntie has a bunch of little annoying kids on the mics in randoms PUBG not so much anymore, I still prefer PUBG over Fortnite personally, because Fortnite has too many cheaters, and people using Bots to build and scripts.
    The first at - game modes? It absolutely is not the first "survival game". (Nor for that matter was H1Z1).

As with many things a lot of stuff "builds" on what has gone before. Whether that "recent"  or some classical Greek art.
    [Deleted User]darkopexMagikarpsGhost
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited May 2018
    Rhoklaw said:
    Aegiris said:

Renoaku said:

My guess would be that you can copyright stuff like code, aka engines or as you said logos. I'm not even sure you can copyright graphics unless maybe it's something created like a character, superhero or other IP. I highly doubt you can copyright M16 weapon graphics or numbers, colors, plants, animals or known things in the universe.
    Courts in S. Korea may have a different interpretation based on their laws but I suspect the real crux behind the suit is they were working closely with Epic to develop PUBG and consider it bad form for them to turn around and deliver basically the same game.

Had there been no working relationship (as is the case with Daybreak / H1Z1) there probably would be no basis for a suit.

BruceYee

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Kyleran said:

Rhoklaw said:

Aegiris said:

Renoaku said:

Courts in S. Korea may have a different interpretation based on their laws but I suspect the real crux behind the suit is they were working closely with Epic to develop PUBG and consider it bad form for them to turn around and deliver basically the same game.

Had there been no working relationship (as is the case with Daybreak / H1Z1) there probably would be no basis for a suit.

Probably not a good idea to sue the owners of the engine you use though.
    KyleranOzmodanSabrac
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

Renoaku said:

I'm not sure why you think Fortnite is a kids focused game. Take a look at Twitch and all the top streams are adults. Adults are making money playing Fortnite. These forums are full of adults that play Fortnite. I imagine you WILL find more annoying kids in Fortnite, but only because so many PUBG players are now playing Fortnite.

PUBG is averaging 4k channels with 65k viewers. Fortnite is averaging 6.5k channels with 150k viewers. (https://www.pcgamer.com/fortnite-is-now-the-most-watched-game-on-twitch-doubling-pubgs-viewer-count/) With a higher number of players, of course you're going to have a higher number of any one age range.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    BruceYee said:

Kyleran said:

Rhoklaw said:

Aegiris said:

Renoaku said:

Probably not a good idea to sue the owners of the engine you use though.
    Look how that worked out for Too Human. But if PUBG wants to follow suit, I'm completely okay with one of the most undeserving success stories in the gaming industry taking a swift kick in the teeth.

PUBG is bad for the entire industry. It sends such a bad message that a broken, rushed game can make unimaginable sums of money. 
    SBFord[Deleted User]Lazarus71laxie[Deleted User]SabracTacticalZombeh
  • rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107

Galaa said:

So should H1Z1 sue Pubg then?

actually no the dev behind pubg are the ones who made the h1z1 battle royales so not how that works
  • rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    but this law suit sounds like its comming from a spoiled ass brat because pubg startin to lose a little ground with fortnite they just dont wanna share that spotlight so in stead of some fair competition they gonna pull the biatch move and slap a lawsuit on.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Don't they all copy each other?
    EponyxDamoralkarionlogMendel
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Galaa said:

Renoaku said:

H1Z1 came out before pubg.

There was also The Culling prior to PUBG (and maybe even H1Z1's BR mode?).