Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux gamers: time to represent your distro!

l2avism2l2avism2 Member UncommonPosts: 38
edited May 2018 in Hardware
As I am much older and more mature, I have moved on to a more mature operating system. amiright?
Now that open source drivers don't suck anymore, and you don't have to fight with the binary blob drivers anymore, gaming in linux isn't bad at all.
You can even game on debian now that all of the open source drivers are stable enough to be including in debian-stable.
Although, I know most of you are probably using nubuntu :p.

Which distro?
  1. Debian7 votes
    1. Slacko
        0.00%
    2. Mint
      28.57%
    3. Ubuntu
      28.57%
    4. SteamOS
        0.00%
    5. Cent
        0.00%
    6. RedHat
        0.00%
    7. Custom DIY distro
        0.00%
    8. Other Linux Distro
        0.00%
    9. Non-Linux, FreeBSD distros
        0.00%
    10. Non-Linux, Lame Windows
      28.57%
    11. Non-Linux, Apples BSD port (Mac OSX)
        0.00%
    12. Other, Other
      14.29%

Comments

• l2avism2l2avism2 Member UncommonPosts: 38
    l2avism2 said:
    As I am much older and more mature, I have moved on to a more mature operating system. amiright?
    Now that open source drivers don't suck anymore, and you don't have to fight with the binary blob drivers anymore, gaming in linux isn't bad at all.
    You can even game on debian now that all of the open source drivers are stable enough to be including in debian-stable.
    Although, I know most of you are probably using nubuntu :p.

This website obviously hates debian, for some reason poll option #1 gets its checkbox and results omitted.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Polls here have been broken for a while, best to create a dummy first line item to work around.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I like Linux a lot. I don't game on it though.
    Ozmodan
    Torval said:
    I have WSL enabled in Win10 and installed Ubuntu through the Microsoft Store. I use Bash that way. 

You could just run bash in windows. 
    Ridelynn said:
    WINE has reached the point were most windows games work. 
    Honestly though, I dont game that much anymore. New games just suck.
    Ozmodan
    DMKano said:
    Win 10

Hate all you want ;)
    My sister clicked yes on that update prompt that microsoft pushed out to all of those windows 7 users which upgraded the PC to 10. She hates it and has been having troubles ever since.
    I told her newer doesn't always mean better.
    OzmodanAsm0deus
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    l2avism2 said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Most is not all.  Furthermore, mostly works except with some glitches is not the same as completely working.  And even when games work through Wine, it isn't necessarily with the same frame rates for given settings as you'd get through Windows.  It's not an emulator (which would be awful performance), but neither do you get the detailed performance optimizations of the Windows drivers.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    l2avism2 said:
    DMKano said:
    Win 10

Hate all you want ;)
    My sister clicked yes on that update prompt that microsoft pushed out to all of those windows 7 users which upgraded the PC to 10. She hates it and has been having troubles ever since.
    I told her newer doesn't always mean better.
    Actually the upgrade from 7 to 10 did cause some unexpected issues.  Clean installs have no problems.  

Upgraded a ton of the PCs at the office from 7 to 10, noticed a lot of the upgraded ones had strange quirks, reinstalled the systems fresh with the windows 10 license.. smooth sailing.  

Windows 10 is pretty awesome.  Way better than 7 
    MikehaOzmodanAsm0deus

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I'm pretty agnostic about Operating Systems these days. I don't want an "Awesome" OS. I want an OS that lets me run what I want, doesn't hog resources so my hardware stays pretty peppy, keeps me reasonably secure without too much restriction or hassle, and other than that, stays out of my way.

The best OS is the one you don't even notice.

Win7 was better than Win10 in that regard, I thought.

There are a lot of Linux-based systems for various things that do accomplish that pretty well. Routers, DVRs, Media Players, and NASes are good examples - most people don't even realize they are using Linux. 

I still think OS X is the golden standard for me though. It will just work if that's all you want out of it, but if you want to get down in the weeds, the Mach Kernel and POSIX underpinnings will let you go down the rabbit hole pretty much as far as you want to go.

maskedweaselAsm0deus
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2018
    Dual booting W10 for gaming and Ubuntu for other things. I wish Vulcan became on Linux what DX is on Windows, but until that day comes i am using Windows for gaming.

Voted for Ubuntu in the poll because that's the distro i use, but i also like Fedora.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    l2avism2 said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Seriously?  You are going to run a game under an emulator that steals many of your CPU cycles?   Sorry, that is flat out braindead.  I have a Linux PC, but I certainly do NOT waste my time playing Windows games on it.  Nothing against Linux, but I do all my gaming on a Windows PC.  There are still a lot of issues running many games on Linux.

Your sister should be very thankful, Microsoft gave her the free upgrade to Windows 10, Win 7 is shaky when it comes to security and in this day and age that is just asking for trouble.
    [Deleted User]
    Torval said:
    l2avism2 said:
    Torval said:
    I have WSL enabled in Win10 and installed Ubuntu through the Microsoft Store. I use Bash that way. 

You could just run bash in windows. 
    I do. That's how. The other options are SUSE, Debian, and Kali.
    No, I mean run bash in windows itself, not running it from linux in windows.
    You could install a complete working posix environment on windows since like forever. Its called cygwin but there are others. It comes with things like bash, gcc, xwin, etc so you could install a window manager over it and have like a separate desktop that you could switch to running gnome or plasma or something.
    Most of the binaries that come with cygwin are pe binaries (windows .exe files) but you can run elf binaries (linux's exes) and run software compiled for linux on windows.
    In a similar fashion you can run windows exes on linux after installing wine.
  • vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 308
    All three of you linux gamers should have quite the poll going.
    Ridelynn[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • ConorRosalesConorRosales Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    edited April 2023
    I stumbled upon this old thread and couldn't resist chiming in. As a newbie to this forum, I gotta say, it's refreshing to see some love for Linux gaming. I totally agree that open source drivers have come a long way. No more fighting with those pesky binary blob drivers. And gaming on Debian? Heck yeah! It's great to see that all the open source drivers are stable enough to be included in Debian-stable. But hey, let's not forget about nubuntu. Also, speaking of distros, have you heard about Centos 7 eol? It's a bummer that support for it is ending soon. But hey, that's just the nature of the Linux world. We're always moving forward and embracing new technologies. Anyway, it's great to be a part of this community and I look forward to chatting with you all more about Linux gaming.
    Post edited by ConorRosales on