Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Matchmaking & Servers Are Stabilized for a 'Zero Queue' - Dauntless - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageMatchmaking & Servers Are Stabilized for a 'Zero Queue' - Dauntless - MMORPG.com

Dauntless News - Late yesterday afternoon, Phoenix Labs developers took to Reddit to inform the Dauntless open beta community that game servers have now become stabilized and have reached "zero queue" status. The team has been "all hands on deck" throughout the weekend working to reduce wait times and to provide better matchmaking after players were faced with lengthy wait times of an hour or more.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Octagon7711

Comments

• Dony07Dony07 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I can confirm this. Congratulation to everyone in the team that solved this as fast as they could.
    SBFord[Deleted User]ShaihubyOctagon77113domMtnDewmchocolate42069
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    oh nice, then i can finally get to try it out ! =D
    SBFordShaihubyOctagon77113dom
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    The game is great. Hope everyone has fun.
    Octagon7711chocolate42069
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've always had a good feeling about this game, keep up the good work Dauntless. :smile:
    chocolate42069

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    As for people saying "its no MH or GE" its free so that's enough for many people (especially pc players) until MH gets on pc.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Albatroes said:

As for people saying "its no MH or GE" its free so that's enough for many people (especially pc players) until MH gets on pc.

Even then I can see people choose dauntless over MH..
    JeffSpicolichocolate42069
  • Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I have it downloaded, waiting to play I was wondering if this game could be played on an xbox controller
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Its a decent clone of core MH mechanics with little western spin. Not bad. Im impressed how they handeled the "launch". Yes, the queues were enormous, but for those who got in the game was stable and without lag. This could have been much much worse.
  • tinoberserktinoberserk Member UncommonPosts: 73

Krynt0k said:

I have it downloaded, waiting to play I was wondering if this game could be played on an xbox controller

It seems that you can use an xbox controller

https://www.reddit.com/r/dauntless/comments/6xjjuk/how_do_you_play_with_a_controller/
  • Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Thank you!
  • EpirusEpirus Member CommonPosts: 2

Krynt0k said:

Yep, many people play on controller and prefer it to kbm. I don't use one but last I heard there was a menu or 2 that might be buggy right now but should work good other than that.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited May 2018
    I guess it's time to repeat install/uninstall cycle for the third time. Couldn't even login previous two times. edit: nah, still doesn't log me in. Absolutely clueless developer team, not worth the time.
    SlyLoKXarkoGdemami

Thank you for your time!

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2018
    Xarko said:
    Its a decent clone of core MH mechanics with little western spin. Not bad. Im impressed how they handeled the "launch". Yes, the queues were enormous, but for those who got in the game was stable and without lag. This could have been much much worse.
    It was pretty stable for me after the initial rush.

Played a handful of matches, but quickly realized that this gameplay wasn't for me.  At least, not without a multitude of other game modes, weapons, and some added character customization.  I felt like I had seen half the game by the third hunt.

EDIT- Specifically, a lot more needs to be done with the monsters.  As it stands, you just spam attack and hit space at the appropriate attack indicators, which are few enough per monster to learn within the first 30 seconds of the fight.  From there, there's nothing really unexpected.  You don't even have to dodge any particular direction; you can clip right through the monsters by dodging directly into them.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Xarko said:

It was pretty stable for me after the initial rush.

Played a handful of matches, but quickly realized that this gameplay wasn't for me.  At least, not without a multitude of other game modes, weapons, and some added character customization.  I felt like I had seen half the game by the third hunt.

EDIT- Specifically, a lot more needs to be done with the monsters.  As it stands, you just spam attack and hit space at the appropriate attack indicators, which are few enough per monster to learn within the first 30 seconds of the fight.  From there, there's nothing really unexpected.  You don't even have to dodge any particular direction; you can clip right through the monsters by dodging directly into them.

What island are you at, because if you try that at the fourth and/or fifth island.. youre so fucked :P
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    The game itself is fine for a free game, but it felt like an alpha more than an open beta. Not even close to Monster Hunter so they have a truckload of work ahead of them if they want to survive when MHW launches on PC.
    Gdemami

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'll just say they need to introduce some more weapon types soon if they want to stay afloat cause eh....(and those facial hair choices....come on guys....)
    rojoArcueid
    edited May 2018
    Nyctelios said:
    Yeah... the game has a "difficulty spike" later on that is hard to swallow. There is a certain boss that is kinda cheap with too many unavoidable moves.
    I think that's a symptom of the overly-simplistic combat system they got going.  You have...  Spam attack, dodge roll.  Weapons only allows variations of "spam attack," from my time trying out 3 of the 5 sets.

I found myself having a hard time staying engaged even mid-fight.

Are there active skills provided by armor ala MHW?  I didn't see any mention of any kind of companion system like MHW, either.  Armor sets in MHW provide extra skills, deepening combat, alongside the companions.  That's missing here.  You can, additionally, use more than one weapon type in MHW on a hunt.  That's missing here, too.  Are there additional aggressive monsters in the later hunts?  All in all, the depth of the game really needs more to stand on firm legs long-term.  It doesn't have to peel those directly from MHW, but just ignoring the extra depth MHW has will leave this game in a sad spot, specifically if MHW does in fact come to PC to compete.

Additionally, the monsters don't have a lot of weight to them.  A lot of work is needed on making them seem as fearsome as the devs want them to seem.  The audio for their attacks and roars has all the gravitas of a medium-sized dog.  Watching a dinosaur-sized monster stomp my Slayer only to have him stumble two steps and recover doesn't impart a lot of weight into the monster attacks.

When you watch a video of MHW and Dauntless back to back, there's a huge difference in the quality of the monsters.  Since the game is laser-focused around those mobs, it leads to a disappointing feeling in Dauntless.

MHW also appears to have far superior level design.  Some of these items (the audio weight of monsters and level of graphical detail) may be understandable due to the relative size and resources of the studio here compared to the studio that created MHW.  Things like the lack of depth features in combat and the inferior level design can't really be earmarked as "lack of resources" so much as a lack of vision or a timidity in creating more complex level designs and gameplay systems.
    rojoArcueid[Deleted User]Gdemami

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    edited May 2018
    a bit boring soloed the tutorial and the 1 zone w/o issues , predictable moveset , and boring after 5 min of mouseclicking that thing to death with some Q spam , dodge here and there , some graphics lag (playing on epic ) , it still lacks something , and maybe its get funnier and engaging later on but the first 1h is a big "meh" :( , sad because the game looked fun on videos

Warlyx said:
    a bit boring soloed the tutorial and the 1 zone w/o issues , predictable moveset , and boring after 5 min of mouseclicking that thing to death with some Q spam , dodge here and there , some graphics lag (playing on epic ) , it still lacks something , and maybe its get funnier and engaging later on but the first 1h is a big "meh" :( , sad because the game looked fun on videos

I feel the team needs to go into overdrive at this point, not rest on the laurels of release.

By the time MHW for PC hits, if they haven't at least deepened the combat features to match MHW, I don't think they'll last very long.

Which is unfortunate, as they obviously aren't interested in pursuing the lootbox craze.  That alone made it worth my time to check it out.  It's unfortunate I couldn't come away with a more positive impression. :(
    RemyVorenderGdemami

• gamestopperzgamestopperz Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Final got to play without disconnecting after the first solo hunt. Played 2 hunts with other people, got bored, and went to play MHW. It's okay if you don't mind very static maps and repeat grinding, but nothing really dynamic feature wise. AI gets easy to read after a min of fighting ,but I have not faced all of the behemoths and some of them could be more challenging. If you like it, keep playing if not there are other game out there to play.
  • goobsnewsgoobsnews Member UncommonPosts: 220

Warlyx said:

I feel the team needs to go into overdrive at this point, not rest on the laurels of release.

By the time MHW for PC hits, if they haven't at least deepened the combat features to match MHW, I don't think they'll last very long.

Which is unfortunate, as they obviously aren't interested in pursuing the lootbox craze.  That alone made it worth my time to check it out.  It's unfortunate I couldn't come away with a more positive impression. :(

You didn't even get past the tutorial so I don't take your review seriously. It took me and a friend 22 minutes to kill a Behemoth after the tutorial, it enraged 3 times and we both almost died (beat it with maybe 20% health left, no potions left and no health fountain at boss site left)..was an intense 22 minutes.

All those looking to try the game, do yourself a favor and beat the tutorials before you criticize the game...it's like getting to level 8 in WoW and being like, "Yeah, this game sucks".
    edited May 2018
    goobsnews said:

Warlyx said:

You didn't even get past the tutorial so I don't take your review seriously. It took me and a friend 22 minutes to kill a Behemoth after the tutorial, it enraged 3 times and we both almost died (beat it with maybe 20% health left, no potions left and no health fountain at boss site left)..was an intense 22 minutes.

All those looking to try the game, do yourself a favor and beat the tutorials before you criticize the game...it's like getting to level 8 in WoW and being like, "Yeah, this game sucks".
    So tell us: when do the extra skills come into play?  Or are you still using weapon combo attacks that entire time?  Is there any defensive skills to use other than dodge roll and pots?

MHW has larger monsters interrupt your hunt for other monsters, sometimes even opening up entirely new areas to explore.  It includes smaller animals that can be used to distract monsters and can cause players issues.  Does that or something like it get introduced after the missions I played?  Does the audio for the monsters get better?  Do their attacks force your Slayer to recoil in a way that seems more violent than a friendly shove?

I've googled the game to try and find info on systems they didn't introduce to me during my time playing.  I could find none.

EDIT- Found some!  It seems some lanterns can give an extra attack type.  Other than the four lantern attacks and what looks like an air strike beacon? I didn't find anything else.  I still see no reason this game will withstand an MHW PC release without some serious work. 

As I compare the two, the gap grows, it doesn't shrink.  MHW includes setting traps, other monsters and an ecosystem whereby a food chain is created as well as monster territories they will defend, blocking as well as dodging, many more weapon types, the Palico companion, monster mounting, cutting off limbs, a camoflauge system, capturing monsters, a place to change out equipment and such on hunt, the list goes on and on.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    Gdemami

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't want to play it after watching others play it,it looks like a cheap crap game,go figure some are actually calling it good lol.
    FREE,yeah it looks like a free game,i wouldn't pay anything for it.
    The idea of large monsters is a laughable gimmick,i don't need to see models enlarged to get excited to play a game and the combat looks sad and seeing somersaults is HUGE no way am i touching that game in a million years.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• evolgrinzevolgrinz Member UncommonPosts: 151
    I tried Dauntless, loading the game takes ages.
    My biggest annoyance is after you killed a behemoth, you don't get straight back to the city. You just stand around waiting to get ported back. Annoys me so much, that I just go play another game after 1 or 2 behemoths killed.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Wow, servers logged me in for the first time on 5th day after release! Although the game immediately hanged on "receiving account information" screen. With progress like this I may be able to create a character and maybe even play the game couple weeks later. That's some high quality coding, testing and project management right here.

/s Actually this is what happen when a dev team is too clueless and greedy to disperse enough free closed beta access codes to stress-test their product.

Thank you for your time!