Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCsoft on the verge of shutting Guild Wars 2 down?!?!?!

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

What do you guys think?
    How much did the make compared to how much they spend?

that's what I think.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited May 2018
    Dakeru said:

What do you guys think?
    I think among all the click bait titles you made over the years this is by far the cheapest.

So empty and with the only purpose to rile up people that I consider it a foul troll thread.
    Agree.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    ArenaNet self-publishes GW2 these days. NCsoft is only a stakeholder. They can't "shut it down". Move on. :D
    SBFordDakeruSovrathmaskedweaselPanther2103Octagon7711CelciusJeroKanePhry

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    I can't stand GW 2 myself but it is apparently doing rather well, both in terms of player base and financials.  To even consider something like this would be foolish.  I mean I wouldn't miss it but come on, it's probably in the top 3 or so as far as number of active players goes.
    Gorwe
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    In other words,diddly diddly doo.
    Phry
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    GW2 won't be shut down by NCsoft as they don't own the game anymore. If they are doing bad enough to the point where the game is failing, then Arenanet would have to be the ones shutting it down. But from what I understand, the game itself is still doing quite good. If I log in, and go to any area, I see people everywhere. It's still doing okay in population.

Plus based on your post you completely skipped over Wildstar, which is still published by NCsoft, is doing horrible, and is still running. 

NCsoft is known to shut down the games they are currently publishing if they aren't performing, but who knows anymore, with Wildstar still running maybe that means that they have changed. 
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Don't take him too serious. After this one,

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/470804/i-finally-did-it-next-goal-is-to-get-the-next-mmorpg-com-rank

I don't take him serious enough to answer his discussions. He's just looking for attention...
    VerenathDakerurertezGorweTheScavengerSwampySack
  • VerenathVerenath Member UncommonPosts: 61
    What a worthless post.  Moving on.

-Verenath-

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    OP I think you would do well in a Russian troll farm.
    DakeruTheScavenger
    Chamber of Chains
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Nepheth said:

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/470804/i-finally-did-it-next-goal-is-to-get-the-next-mmorpg-com-rank

I don't take him serious enough to answer his discussions. He's just looking for attention...
    Yeah he also once admitted picking up the random brainfarts of people he finds on reddit to post them here.

He only cares about getting clicks and votings - nothing else.
    TheScavenger
    Harbinger of Fools
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited May 2018
    Dakeru said:
    Nepheth said:

Yeah he also once admitted picking up the random brainfarts of people he finds on reddit to post them here.

He only cares about getting clicks and votings - nothing else.
    I regret the WTF I gave him, it only encourages people like him. They enjoy accolades even negative ones.

I withdrew the WTF.
    DakeruTheScavengerSwampySack
    Chamber of Chains
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    NCsoft still owns ArenaNet.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I login at all hours and usually see lots of players.  Even when they put overpriced fluff in the cash shop I see players who have bought the latest shiny, so the cash shop appears to still be popular.  Forums posting is also healthy.  Games doing well.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited May 2018
    Outside of Wildstar that they ignore for some reason....

NCsoft closed city of heroes when sub was going down, but still making money
    They shut down Tabula Rasa very fast without giving it a chance
    They shut down auto assault very fast without giving it a chance (though more than TR)

Any time one of their games goes into decline or barely makes enough money (like city of heroes didn't make them enough money despite it being in the red) they shut the game down

With their track record, unless GW2 sales pickup, the vast decrease in revenue makes me believe NCsoft is in the thinking stages of "if next expansion does bad, we'll have to close GW2 or put it on lifesupport like Wildstar". And then they'll focus mostly on mobile games since that makes them a ton more money for much cheaper cost

What do you guys think?
    Not going to happen. GW2 is one of their games that makes them the most money and their biggest game in the West.  
    Micro_Cuts
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Shaigh said:
    That doesn't matter in the context of shutting their game down. Arenanet is just a subsidiary of NCsoft. NCsoft isn't the publisher for GW2 anymore, Arenanet is. For them to force a shutdown of the game, they would probably have to shut down Arenanet themselves. 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Shaigh said:
    That doesn't matter in the context of shutting their game down. Arenanet is just a subsidiary of NCsoft. NCsoft isn't the publisher for GW2 anymore, Arenanet is. For them to force a shutdown of the game, they would probably have to shut down Arenanet themselves. 
    NCsoft never published GW2 themselves, that was NC west. Both NC west and ArenaNet operates under NC west Holdings so it was just a restructuring on which subsidiary handled things with GW2.

The bottom line is ncsoft can do whatever they want with GW2 because as the owner they can fire and hire whoever they want at the top of ArenaNet that does what they feel like.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited May 2018
    Why would they shut this down?  Currently in the game right now waiting for Tequatl to start and 4 maps are full here. lol this looks like a drunk post to me.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Im not surprised there's a retarded clickbait titled post, I'm surprised so many of you are addressing it seriously.....
    TheScavengerSwampySackGorwe
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

GW2.jpg 77.4K
    Gorwe

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    i hope it gets shut down. People compare GW2 with GW1, but GW1 is still superior in many ways. Never touch a running system. On the other hand, GW2 was a huge dissapointment and a big fat lie to all GW1 vets.
    GorwemaskedweaselCorileannammolourpmcmurphybartoni33Sid_Vicious
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    GW2 isn't going anywhere for a few more years.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    edited May 2018
    exile01 said:
    i hope it gets shut down. People compare GW2 with GW1, but GW1 is still superior in many ways. Never touch a running system. On the other hand, GW2 was a huge dissapointment and a big fat lie to all GW1 vets.
    GW1 veteran here.
    I knew pretty much they were going for an open world PvE game with GW2.
    The videos of around 2011 confirmed that and I knew from that moment GW2 was going to bring the upgrade to what I most liked to do in MMOs which is questing.

Additionally I knew combat was going to be substantially changed, from a pre-combat focused building and then slow paced combat, to a faster action packed combat.

Not sure in what way was I lied about GW2. 

Sure, GW2 is a different genre of game so obviously some people that liked GW1 will not like GW2 and some people that would have never touch GW1 love GW2.
    Octagon7711DakeruGorwewingoodKyutaSyukorpmcmurphycraftseeker

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    As long as they don't sale it to Disney or EA, I'm happy.
    maskedweasel

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    exile01 said:
    GW1 veteran here.
    I knew pretty much they were going for an open world PvE game with GW2.
    The videos of around 2011 confirmed that and I knew from that moment GW2 was going to bring the upgrade to what I most liked to do in MMOs which is questing.

Additionally I knew combat was going to be substantially changed, from a pre-combat focused building and then slow paced combat, to a faster action packed combat.

Not sure in what way was I lied about GW2. 

Sure, GW2 is a different genre of game so obviously some people that liked GW1 will not like GW2 and some people that would have never touch GW1 love GW2.
      I played both GW1 and GW2..  GW2 is far superior in almost every way with the exception of "deck" building.  Other than that, combat is way more fun in GW2.
    Octagon7711rpmcmurphySid_Vicious

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    barasawa said:
    Got bored quickly with GW2. 

It never imported my trophies and whatnot from GW1 like they said it would. 

To much mario platforming in places for me. 

Why bothering to level up when you won't ever exceed the mobs levels of the zone because it downgrades you to match. (Makes travelling through zones, and collecting resources annoying.)

There were other things that bugged me, but I can't remember what they were now. 
    I wouldn't want to see it get the bugzapper, but I'm not playing it either.

your wrong 
    I have my trophies from gw1 tbh they are not worth the hassle 

and while the  game downgrades you   the mobs at low levels are very easy vs lvl 80 mobs and you notice the difference   

a example is my level 80 necro can  pretty much fight  a unlimited amount of  level 1-10 mobs and not die  but i wouldn't say the same thing against a  bunch of level 80 mobs 

traveling through areas is easy now it has mounts  plus you have fast travel   

you know you dont need to do jumping puzzels  its not needed for a map completion