Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD doesn't offer driver support for newer laptop products--including integrated

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
No, really.  Just look at AMD's driver page:

https://support.amd.com/en-us/download

If you choose the Notebook Graphics choice, the only options are GCN-based or older products that date to 2015 or earlier.  If you choose "APU / Processor with Graphics", then for mobile, it's only Carrizo or earlier.  In particular, Raven Ridge/Ryzen Mobile has no drivers.  But they do have drivers for the desktop version of exactly the same chip.

I can understand that there aren't necessarily public drivers available when a product is first announced.  Especially for laptop products, there can be a substantial delay between the initial announcement and the time that consumers can actually get the products in their hands.  But HP has been shipping Ryzen Mobile-based laptops for more than half a year now.  To still not have drivers available for that is inexcusable.

For what it's worth, there is now a driver for Kaby Lake-G:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27785/Graphics-Radeon-RX-Vega-M-Graphics?product=80939

The product launched in March and drivers weren't available until May, which is kind of pathetic.  And it's also only available for Windows 10 64-bit, which isn't that surprising, as that's about as well as Intel supports their own GPUs.  In particular, they discontinued Linux support in 2011.  But at least there is driver support for some OS--and the most popular one, at that.  For Ryzen Mobile, there's nothing.

For years, the promise was that eventually, you'd be able to get a good CPU and a good integrated GPU in the same chip.  Today, that has been realized for desktops.  But still not laptops, which is where integrated GPUs are a lot more interesting because of the space and power limitations.  You can get the good CPU and good integrated GPU in the same chip, but you can't get drivers for the GPU.
VrikaMadFrenchie

Comments

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    edited May 2018
    yea can it just tooka bit of fiddling before it worked on my moms hp laptop

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Raxeon said:

"Can successfully display the desktop" is not at all similar to "properly supports everything that it should, and gets routine bug fixes as they are found".
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    It could be a contractual thing with the laptop vendor - they want to lock down the driver.

I have no idea why, but it seems to be a common theme with the bigger vendors.
    [Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Ridelynn said:
    It could be a contractual thing with the laptop vendor - they want to lock down the driver.

I have no idea why, but it seems to be a common theme with the bigger vendors.
    Then why isn't Nvidia affected by the same issue?

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/134625

That's the latest Windows 10 64-bit driver for laptop GeForce cards.  They have a variety of drivers for other operating systems, too.  They do have a caveat that Fujitsu laptops are not supported.  But for laptops where the vendor is willing to allow you to actually use the video card properly, the drivers are there.  For AMD, the drivers aren't there.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Quizzical said:
    Raxeon said:

"Can successfully display the desktop" is not at all similar to "properly supports everything that it should, and gets routine bug fixes as they are found".
    mo i actully had an error for a while on it about the driver then i was fiddling with uninstalling the disply driver and got it fully to install after messing with it. but that was the amd driver from the microsoft update not amd site