Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

samsung 960GB m2 for $199

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
Link:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD9Y74H8298

Quizzical, What am I missing?  The evo is 270.

Is this the time to upgrade my m2 from the 240 that I have?  The price looks great if is not a POS that I will have problems with.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    heck of a deal
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Oh my looks like the drive race is on for SSD"s now wait till next year it will be 2TB or so if not this year.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Too good to be true?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Asm0deus said:
    Too good to be true?
    I think it is.  It looks like the length is 110mm and for the standard m2 in motherboards we buy the length is 80mm.  Glad I did not buy it. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• DigitalLeashDigitalLeash Member UncommonPosts: 30
    From the Q&A on the page it seems like the seller purchased them in bulk and is reselling them in non-retail packaging. Sealed static bag in a box.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The difference is 3 times the transfer speed.
    [Deleted User]
  • IceDarkIceDark Member UncommonPosts: 207
    edited May 2018
    I guess it was mostly my mistake but I thought the item sold was a samsung 960 evo 1 tb nvme. It did not fit in my laptop..

Yet, it gives the seller 3 stars. Amazing ..

https://www.newegg.com/All-Smart-Tech/about

---

This has nothing to do with the topic, but is on the same review page......................

Bought a refurbished motherboard on sale almost half off, arrived on time but was ONLY a board. No I\O shield included, not even original packaging. Said this item was “prepackaged by ASUS” so I contacted them and they basically blew me off. All smart tech was contacted and they responded quickly but only offered a $10 refund to buy the I/O shield through e bay myself instead of getting one and sending it to me directly. Not impressed at all. I contacted local computer shops and they priced the I/O shield to me at $25, which was insane. Can’t really recommend this company, but they get 3 stars for at least “trying” to please me but in the end, they’re selling junk, for a junk dealer’s price. I took the risk. The board at least worked so I’m rolling with it. I got half a product, you get half a review.

So he's rolling with the motherboard , yet..he received half a product. And an I/O Shield. I mean..really ? Amazing #2
    The Ice is dark and full of terror.
    Ok, so I did more research.  The sequential is about 1/3 but the random is about half.  My mother board will support the longer longer M2 device in the slot that I am currently using for my boot device only. 

Not sure if I am going to try this or not.  I may just get an upgrade for my HD and wait on a new M2. The 2.5" SSD seem to be a decent price now too. 

--John Ruskin

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The specs on that make it look decidedly low-end as PCIe SSDs go.  A quick search makes it look like it dates to 2015.  In particular, 19K random write IOPS would be pathetic for a modern SATA SSD.  For example, here are two others that are the same price for slightly larger capacity in a SATA form factor with massively more random read IOPS:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226865
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820331115

Those can't keep up with the Samsung SSD you linked in other specs as they're limited by SATA and they don't have a high-performance controller, anyway.  The dodgy packaging situation that others cite would be enough to scare me off.

One of the most important features of an SSD is reliability.  It's hard to gauge reliability, of course.  But the red flags that you've found so far don't speak well of it.
    [Deleted User]
    I think I am going to pass on the m2.  I will probably just upgrade my other drive.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820173276&ignorebbr=1

I think this looks like a good deal. 

--John Ruskin