Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Permanent P2W and temporary P2W

iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
Permanent P2W: Normally disguise as equipment upgrade system .
Temporary P2W: normally disguise as consumable items

Current design trend is mainly permanent P2W and add some temporary P2W . This kind of design bring back money fast but ruin game pretty fast too .
Basically in this design whales put large among of money to get permanent P2W and create economy bubble then stop spending or spending less after they get permanent P2W , as the end , the price of item get raise too high cause there are no one sell anymore and normal player who can't keep up with the price leave the game .

With modern MMORPG that all try to get more money P2P don't work , many MMORPGs plan to change to F2P or B2P so P2W is unavoidable . But i hope they will use temporary P2W instead of permanent P2W .

Comments

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    I don't see the difference.
    Once you buy XP, skill and stat boosts you get an unfair advantage on other players, particularly in PvP, probably more than what you get from equipment items.
    Am I missing something?
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    TEKK3N said:
    Once you buy XP, skill and stat boosts you get an unfair advantage on other players, particularly in PvP, probably more than what you get from equipment items.
    Am I missing something?
    Yeah , you missed .
    While the boosts are unfair , it will not last long and player have to keep spend to keep them in high stats , this way it keep the market flowed with good , while with gears gap the spend will end when they get the gap big enough . That's the problem with so many P2W games , when the whale stop spending money , item become expensive and cause normal players who get the need item from the whales leave .
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited May 2018
    I disagree. A boost that allows you to complete stuff faster will eventually result in getting permanently better equipment. The end result is just as permanent as an item shop item.

Also everyone playing modern MMOs gets permanent power increases more or less constantly even without cash shop. Cash shop purchases may speed up the power gain, but they do not cause the problem.
    AsmodeuX

edited May 2018
    iixviiiix said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Am I missing something?
    Yeah , you missed .
    While the boosts are unfair , it will not last long and player have to keep spend to keep them in high stats , this way it keep the market flowed with good , while with gears gap the spend will end when they get the gap big enough . That's the problem with so many P2W games , when the whale stop spending money , item become expensive and cause normal players who get the need item from the whales leave .
    I still don't get it.

If whales leave the game, normal players can still get the items from in-game loot, at least most F2P works that way.
    Generally the Cash Shop are a shortcut to achieve results much faster, it's rare (though possible) that games use Cash Shop Only items in their games.

BDO sells exclusive costumes in their Cash Shop but they are just cosmetics.
    I don't know any game that sell meaningful Gear that you can't get in-game as well, and the games that do that are shit games anyway.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    TEKK3N said:
    iixviiiix said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Am I missing something?
    Yeah , you missed .
    I still don't get it.

If whales leave the game, normal players can still get the items from in-game loot, at least most F2P works that way.
    Generally the Cash Shop are a shortcut to achieve results much faster, it's rare (though possible) that games use Cash Shop Only items in their games.

Are you sure you can get all items from in-game loots without need to spend extra on cash shop or buy it from another player who buy it from cash shop ?

edited May 2018
    iixviiiix said:
    TEKK3N said:

Are you sure you can get all items from in-game loots without need to spend extra on cash shop or buy it from another player who buy it from cash shop ?

I am pretty sure.

All the games I played had this system.
    The worst that can happen is that once the whales leave, prices of certain items go up, which to me it's even better as items from loot boxes or cash shops inflate the market (make the game too easy).

There are few games that sell gear exclusively in their cash shops, but those games are not really worth mentioning, they are generally bad games anyway.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    These two types of P2W have been with us from the start, but how they appear in MMOs has changed.

I think the distinction between the two is blurred, especially as how a game uses convoluted methods to create a P2W set up. For example (I think it is) BDO uses a deferred P2W with its costumes, you sell them on for gold which you need to purchase items upgrades.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Scot said:
    These two types of P2W have been with us from the start, but how they appear in MMOs has changed.

I think the distinction between the two is blurred, especially as how a game uses convoluted methods to create a P2W set up. For example (I think it is) BDO uses a deferred P2W with its costumes, you sell them on for gold which you need to purchase items upgrades.
    Yes, and rather than outright sell power, most games mask it by selling boosters to enchanting success rates and insurance against deleveling or loss which if not purchased would make reaching upper levels only possible for those with the "luck of the Irish."

Many boosters such as experience give only a temporary advantage in levels, assuming there is a cap which is well within reach of the average player.

In a game like WOW this is no huge edge, but in huge grind games like early L2 it would be a huge edge.

PVP games suffer more from this temporary imbalance, but even in PVE boosters could give some crafters huge headstarts and permit higher profits in the early game before the rest of the other players catch up, ruining the market.

Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Lengthy boring run of trash mobs followed by a late mid-boss that drops something you might want then some more trash mobs followed by the boss.  You are balanced to lose but not by much.  Take the monster down to 10% health and have "Pay real life money not to die and lose the entire run?"  This is the type that is Brutally Effective at grabbing money from players and grates on me a ton because very few people figure that hour+ of time for no reward at under the payout amount.