Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Critic John 'Totalbiscuit' Bain Passes Away - MMORPG.com News

124»

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited May 2018
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:
    And this is why I wish more people kept their thoughts and feelings about politics and their personal lives personal. Deal with the issue with your family and support group, not the world at large. 

Honestly, these are things none of us had any business knowing unless we had a personal relationship with one or both of them.

Still, dredging it up now in the face of her beautiful tribute to him is tawdry and inappropriate. I am sure he faced many of his demons as one does when facing catastrophic illness and imminent death, things we are obviously not privy to.

If I verbally abused my wife, even if it wasnt physical (but actually bullying in the court of law is a punishable sentence in the US), and especially if it was public...I'd hope people wouldn't paint me as a saint in death and tell the truth who I really was, warts and all. if I was a piece of shit in real life, that is how I expect to be treated in death.

Just because someone died, doesn't make them suddenly immune to criticism. Otherwise everyone would say every women abuser, murderer and dictator ever in the world were saints just because they died.
    Of course not, but it can wait a day or two? *shrugs* I'm old fashioned that way and hate this virtual exhibitionism that is so rampant any more.
    Well I added post-edit...but if I treated people badly in real life, and said and did nasty things in public (whether I regretted or not, its out there forever in the world in the new age of internet), I expect to be treated the same in death.

But in that case...I'd hope I did enough good for people to remember that as well. So on a more positive note. I did TB was amazing game critic and I do think he did a lot of good in the gaming industry, I loved his WTF is... series the best out of them all.

He never once got bribed to do good reviews or worried much about saying something negative in fear of losing advertisers, he always said the truth about the game...the bad and the good.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:
    And this is why I wish more people kept their thoughts and feelings about politics and their personal lives personal. Deal with the issue with your family and support group, not the world at large. 

Honestly, these are things none of us had any business knowing unless we had a personal relationship with one or both of them.

Still, dredging it up now in the face of her beautiful tribute to him is tawdry and inappropriate. I am sure he faced many of his demons as one does when facing catastrophic illness and imminent death, things we are obviously not privy to.

If I verbally abused my wife, even if it wasnt physical (but actually bullying in the court of law is a punishable sentence in the US), and especially if it was public...I'd hope people wouldn't paint me as a saint in death and tell the truth who I really was, warts and all. if I was a piece of shit in real life, that is how I expect to be treated in death.

Just because someone died, doesn't make them suddenly immune to criticism. Otherwise everyone would say every women abuser, murderer and dictator ever in the world were saints just because they died.
    Of course not, but it can wait a day or two? *shrugs* I'm old fashioned that way and hate this virtual exhibitionism that is so rampant any more.
    Well I added post-edit...but if I treated people badly in real life, and said and did nasty things in public (whether I regretted or not, its out there forever in the world in the new age of internet), I expect to be treated the same in death.

But in that case...I'd hope I did enough good for people to remember that as well. So on a more positive note. I did TB was amazing game critic and I do think he did a lot of good in the gaming industry, I loved his WTF is... series the best out of them all.

He never once got bribed to do good reviews or worried much about saying something negative in fear of losing advertisers, he always said the truth about the game...the bad and the good.
    Keep in mind that you are not Genna and do not have an inside view of their private lives. TB could have been (and probably was) a great husband for the most part. Her tribute to him was not simply fake tears for the sake of pity points, and it would be disgusting to assume otherwise. They fought, as most couples do (even without the knowledge that one of them is slowly dying a horrible, painful death), but they loved each other. 

We know that TB made occassional mistakes. We also know that he had a degree of mental illness and has been facing possible death (and eventually certain death) since 2014. Can you even imagine how much of a toll that would have upon your mind if you were in his shoes? 

Also, it is highly inappropriate to compare this man's minor, frankly insignificant transgressions to those of a domestic abuser, murderor, or dictator. 
    SBFordAxllow18[Deleted User]Scotbartoni33CazrielrojoArcueidcheyaneGhavrigg
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    Was one of the first 'youtuber' game critics that left a mark on me. Had good energy, gave a good contribution and I am sure inspired many in our world. My thoughts are with his family and friends. 
    SBFord
  • Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Gotta say, standing over a man's casket is not the time to remind everyone that he could sometimes be a prick. We may have our opinions on the man, good or bad, but frankly spitting on his grave while the dirt is still fresh is a show of poor taste and character in my book.

You can talk about murderers, despots, abusers, whatever; but for all we know he was none of those things so at best it's a poor defense of tasteless actions and at worse it demonstrates a very warped idea of civility.

As to Totalbiscuit; God speed you angry bastard. You will be missed.
    SBFord[Deleted User]bartoni33spookydomPanther2103JamesGoblin
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2018
     I have actually been there for many of his streams,talk shows and game critic is not really that accurate.
    He simply commented on games in both ways good and bad.Even Angry Joe is identical,he is not all critic,he quite often says he loves certain design ideas.
    Imo John seemed a bit more commercialized,like he was being paid sometimes to promote or talk about games.I could say the same about Angry Joe as we,,originally quick to comment on bad designs and payment plans but now more or less also sounds a bit like a paid sponsor.
    I could draw such conclusions based on for example John would have a talk show with 3-4 people but talk about a totally non relevant game,a non popular game or a game that really most never even heard of ,so yeah sometimes seemed sponsored.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Even in those times when i fully disagreed with his personal opinion i kept watching his videos for his critical views on the gaming industry. That's how insightful his content was.

Condolences to their family and close friends.
    Rest in Peace, John Bain.
    I am in the same boat,i don't have to agree with a person to not respect their opinions,i listened/watched  MANY of John's shows.
    rojoArcueid

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I do find it astonishing that we are giving the fellow a post mortem (irony unintended) of his entire life and expecting him to uphold every standard we care to throw at him. And on half-baked evidence at that.

That's the problem with trial by social media, there is no standard of what evidence is acceptable, rarely any character witnesses or witnesses to the facts, no consideration of past convictions or lack of them, no judge and a mob for a jury.
    bartoni33CazrielSBFord
  • catofmanycatofmany Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I will never wish cancer on anyone, but good riddance to a major gamergater and organizer of harassment mobs. 
    FrodoFragins[Deleted User]AeanderPanther2103TheScavengerspookydomcheyaneShaigh
    edited May 2018
    catofmany said:
    I will never wish cancer on anyone, but good riddance to a major gamergater and organizer of harassment mobs. 
    Wow. You, and others like you, are absolutely despicable. You are the harassment mob, and by showing such gross disrespect on someone's death, you hurt your own cause. 
    Panther2103rojoArcueid[Deleted User]KyleranElquin
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Axllow18 said:
    Gotta say, standing over a man's casket is not the time to remind everyone that he could sometimes be a prick. We may have our opinions on the man, good or bad, but frankly spitting on his grave while the dirt is still fresh is a show of poor taste and character in my book.

You can talk about murderers, despots, abusers, whatever; but for all we know he was none of those things so at best it's a poor defense of tasteless actions and at worse it demonstrates a very warped idea of civility.

As to Totalbiscuit; God speed you angry bastard. You will be missed.
    Except for the evidence right in front of you.  But sure, lets ignore it to spare people's feelings.  Cause that's what we need more of, caring more about feelings than facts.
    AeanderTheScavengerGhavrigg
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2018
    catofmany said:
    This comment is probably as equally wrong as if your loved one dies from cancer and i say good riddance to someone who had someone like you as a loved one.

Clearly you didn't like his content, but at least have the decency of not disrespecting his grieving family by making up baseless nonsense like that.
    AeanderElquin

edited May 2018
    catofmany said:
    Clearly you didn't like his content, but at least have the decency of not disrespecting his grieving family by making up baseless nonsense like that.
    That's the important thing here. Whether you like or hate John Bain, show some fucking respect for Genna and his other loved ones. 

The man had his comment sections and social media disabled for the past couple years of his life for a reason. He could no longer take the constant baseless harassment by pieces of shit like those seen above. They've been sending death threats to a cancer patient and his family for years now. And because these people are embarassingly predictable, they instead of being content to quietly celebrate the death of a man who once said something that could be interpreted as slightly unfavorable to them years ago, now publicly spit on his fresh grave. 
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    this tweet by TB himself didn't age well https://i.imgur.com/QPhxQ1R.jpg
    I didn't really follow the guy only watched a few of his videos, probably why I didn't know anything about this til recently. Just goes to show one should be careful what one says in anger. It's kind of ironic that what he said came back to him.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Social media has allowed absolutely depraved individuals to say whatever they want because of anonymity. I guess the same applies to these forums as is evidenced by certain comments.
    Iselin[Deleted User]AeanderScotGobstopper3DVestigeGamer
    Chamber of Chains
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    That's a shame to hear. Was slightly annoying person to me who had a valid viewpoint that was different to many others. The internet won't be the same without him.
    Ghavrigg

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited May 2018
    live by social media die by it I have never wished death on anyone in my 52 years on this planet

Its kind of interesting how some here think he should be immune to criticism because he was a popular game critic popular the keyword. Do you run obituaries for others that died in the same day? I guess I am a pig.
    TamanousGobstopper3D
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gorwe said:

redcore said:

i just laugh hard when i see "my prayers to..." stop talking crap people. you never pray for anyone. btw prayers never help - so you are not helping either

It sad such ignorance, intolerance, hatred and bigotry is so common and accepted today. It's a shame this site has allowed this ignorant, intolerant ,bigotry to stay on this site so long. I am sure I can guess what side of the aisle this intolerant prick sits on.

On topic I am not afraid of bullies like @redcore even if sites like this encourage and allow people like him to spew their hatred.  I will offer my thoughts and prayers to "totalbiscuits" family and friends.  You know what Red I am even going to throw a prayer your way. 
    He's right though. If you want to do something to help me, either say or, preferably, DO something concrete. Prayers etc won't help. I personally have no use for such empty gestures.
    You don't get it and neither does Red. How you feel, what you want, what you believe, it does not matter. This is about somebody else, you don't matter right now.

Telling others their grieving or mourning is wrong and/or ineffective is downright insulting and shows a great lack of respect, maturity and decency.

When you die prematurely due to a horrible disease and there is a thread about you, we will honor your wishes and beliefs, this however is not the place for them.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScotGobstopper3D[Deleted User]VestigeGamer
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• FrozenyearroundFrozenyearround Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Gorwe said:

redcore said:

i just laugh hard when i see "my prayers to..." stop talking crap people. you never pray for anyone. btw prayers never help - so you are not helping either

It sad such ignorance, intolerance, hatred and bigotry is so common and accepted today. It's a shame this site has allowed this ignorant, intolerant ,bigotry to stay on this site so long. I am sure I can guess what side of the aisle this intolerant prick sits on.

On topic I am not afraid of bullies like @redcore even if sites like this encourage and allow people like him to spew their hatred.  I will offer my thoughts and prayers to "totalbiscuits" family and friends.  You know what Red I am even going to throw a prayer your way. 
    He's right though. If you want to do something to help me, either say or, preferably, DO something concrete. Prayers etc won't help. I personally have no use for such empty gestures.
    Sorry it was mentioned by the OP to keep your ignorant, intolerant , bigotry to yourself and to keep the conversation on the passing of the person.  I get those like you  can't hold up on an opportunity to be ignorant , intolerant and a bigot though.  
    GhavriggAeanderbartoni33
  • RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Rest in peace, Totalbiscuit.  Thank you for what you've done for gamers and our hobby.  You will be missed.
    Aeander

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

Gorwe said:

redcore said:

Sorry it was mentioned by the OP to keep your ignorant, intolerant , bigotry to yourself and to keep the conversation on the passing of the person.  I get those like you  can't hold up on an opportunity to be ignorant , intolerant and a bigot though.  
    The only person who has been an ignorant, intolerant bigot is yourself. 

When others said, "actually we believe something different for these reasons," you took the time to insult and talk down to us. You religious types are so offended at the idea of other belief systems even existing that you become the very thing you claim to hate - intolerant. 

This world has had so very many gods. Who is to say that the Norse were wrong? Or the Greeks? Or the Hindu? Or the Buddhists? Or the Taoists? Or the Mayans? Or the Aztecs? Or any other religion that has ever existed or will ever exist? Or maybe, just maybe, the atheists - the one group that have existed since the beginning of human history - are correct. 

Declaring yourself one thing is to inherently reject other ideas. The test of your character then becomes seeing how you treat people who made a different decision. And you, as yet another person who claims persecution while bashing someone else's skull in with a Bible, have failed that test.
    bartoni33MadFrenchieVestigeGamer
This discussion has been closed.