Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mirage: Arcane Warfare Shutting Down Due to Looming GDPR - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    SBFord said:
    Albatroes said:
    Another one bites the dust
    Given how many people around here champion indies and small-house development, this GDPR is going to be painful for them as many won't be able to release in the EU due to the laws. 
    It's complete bullocks really. 

The GDPR wasn't announced yesterday, but known for years that it would go into effect this year.

This is just typical lazy companies waiting until the last moment and then scrambling in panic!

The same happened in 2000 and then again shortly after with the implementation of the Euro.

Fact is, companies had years to prepare for the incoming GDPR regulation.

I am an IT consultant and have been warning my customers for several years now to prepare for the GDPR and almost all of them ignored it and waited till the last moment and now they are scrambling last minute to comply. /facepalm

So I don't feel sorry one single bit!  When you wait till the last moment, then yes it's going to cost you if you suddenly have invest a lot of resources and money last minute to reach compliance.

Instead, they could have started preparing sooner and spread the resources and money needed over a longer period of time and make it more manageable.
    MadFrenchiekjempffFlyByKnight
  • AmbiorixEburoneAmbiorixEburone Member CommonPosts: 3
    They had 2 years to prepare themself
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    edited May 2018
    With more regulations come more cost to businesses. People complain about lack of quality indies. This is just one shining example. Plenty of other regulations that keep people in their cubes instead of having their own business. They probably didn't make enough money to invest further to make the needed changes. And just because they had 2 years to comply? So? It still cost money. Google and Facebook have failed to comply and they have endless amount of cash. So yeah, armchair quarterback much?

I'd rather have a bunch of garbage games on steam, rather than the inability for indies to have a try. You can filter games based off user reviews. I don't bother looking at games with less than glowing reviews. I have played some really fun games that wouldn't have seen the light of day if not for Steam.
    sarah116
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    JeroKane said:
    SBFord said:
    Albatroes said:
    Given how many people around here champion indies and small-house development, this GDPR is going to be painful for them as many won't be able to release in the EU due to the laws. 

The GDPR wasn't announced yesterday, but known for years that it would go into effect this year.

This is just typical lazy companies waiting until the last moment and then scrambling in panic!

The same happened in 2000 and then again shortly after with the implementation of the Euro.

I am an IT consultant and have been warning my customers for several years now to prepare for the GDPR and almost all of them ignored it and waited till the last moment and now they are scrambling last minute to comply. /facepalm

So I don't feel sorry one single bit!  When you wait till the last moment, then yes it's going to cost you if you suddenly have invest a lot of resources and money last minute to reach compliance.

Instead, they could have started preparing sooner and spread the resources and money needed over a longer period of time and make it more manageable.
    As you appear to be a new visitor to our planet you need to know humans are renown for procrastination especially for unpleasant activities. 

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance on understanding our species.

B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kyleran said:
    JeroKane said:
    SBFord said:
    Albatroes said:

As you appear to be a new visitor to our planet you need to know humans are renown for procrastination especially for unpleasant activities. 

B)
    Haha, I like it!  Doesn't excuse his point, though.  The idea that businesses are being forced to scramble and invest a shit ton of resources all of a sudden is just an example of a lack of foresight.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I'm sure the 0-25 people logged into the game was very saddened by the news.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682
    GDPR - just one more way to control the people. This will eventually lead to an environment where only corporations large enough to have legal departments and lobbyists can survive. Having a bunch of lawyers and bureaucrats dictating how software needs to be developed is a surefire disaster.
    edited May 2018
    GDPR - just one more way to control the people. This will eventually lead to an environment where only corporations large enough to have legal departments and lobbyists can survive. Having a bunch of lawyers and bureaucrats dictating how software needs to be developed is a surefire disaster.
    I can get on board with this, but at a more meta-level regarding the lobbying and bureaucrats.

Consumers don't have the pooled resources businesses do.  That results in the business voices being heard a lot louder by governments than consumer voices.  It's really a counter-productive state of affairs that result in knee-jerk reactions sometimes once governments find out those business lobby groups have been duping them all this time at the expense of the consumer.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

JeroKane said:

SBFord said:

Albatroes said:

Spoken like someone who has no idea what it takes to develop commercial software, let alone something as intricate and involved as a video game.

It's like mandating that every house being built has to be built to withstand an Ocean's 11-style break-in attempt. Without massive resources you cannot possibly test every scenario that determined, informed and skilled experts will put your software through. It's unrealistic and unfair.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited May 2018
    "Ermahgahd, the attorney said he's charging us $1500 to update our privacy and terms of service agreement. Time to shut it down! DAMN YOU GDPR!!!!!!"  :D All jokes aside, if you can't update your hardware to keep pace with public privacy/safety standards you're a liability to your customers anyway.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    JeroKane said:
    SBFord said:
    Albatroes said:

B)
    Haha, I like it!  Doesn't excuse his point, though.  The idea that businesses are being forced to scramble and invest a shit ton of resources all of a sudden is just an example of a lack of foresight.
    So what is the next thing people should be investing a "shit ton of resources" in on the off chance the EU will see a regulatory revenue opportunity? Hell, even the EU didn't have any foresight because up until this point they had 4 different versions of this. They can't even agree on "loot crate" legislation or how their member states should work. They have no more foresight than the rest of the world. They just throw regulation at the wall, see what sticks, and then fine people like they should have known it was coming all along. It's laughable.
    The foresight comes from being able to make a rational decision in the first place about what's fair to the consumer.  Using their PII data without express permission isn't really a debatable point.  You're taking personal data from folks and using it to your own ends without their permission and, many times, without their knowledge.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that's a pretty shitty situation for consumers.  So, with all due respect because I like you Torval and know you aren't just disagreeing to cause a ruckus: spare me the outrage on the behalf of these companies.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    JeroKane said:
    SBFord said:
    Albatroes said:

B)
    So what is the next thing people should be investing a "shit ton of resources" in on the off chance the EU will see a regulatory revenue opportunity? Hell, even the EU didn't have any foresight because up until this point they had 4 different versions of this. They can't even agree on "loot crate" legislation or how their member states should work. They have no more foresight than the rest of the world. They just throw regulation at the wall, see what sticks, and then fine people like they should have known it was coming all along. It's laughable.
    Actually, today marks the day the rules are being reinforced and companies need to have their stuff sorted, the law has been in effect since May 24th of 2016 and was proposed on the 25th of January 2012. My company had to go through LOTS of changes and the fines are through the roof. In the case of my company 4% of their yearly profits WORLDWIDE with a maximum of 20 million dollars. Which is actually lucky for us since we make a shit ton more. Its no last minute nonsense and its a surprise for no one, everybody just acts like it because in reality most still aren't prepared.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadFrenchieFlyByKnight
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    SBFord said:
    Albatroes said:
    Bullshit. How hard can it be. Seriously. They might have our names and some login info. THAT is all. (I hope. Else they have some explaining to do.) A simple accept for them holding the info, and TADA, a bit of logging, and a script that deletes inactive customers after, say, two years, and you are pretty much done.

Using the GDPR as an excuse to shut down is just lazy.
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    JeroKane said:
    SBFord said:
    Albatroes said:

B)
    Actually, today marks the day the rules are being reinforced and companies need to have their stuff sorted, the law has been in effect since May 24th of 2016 and was proposed on the 25th of January 2012. My company had to go through LOTS of changes and the fines are through the roof. In the case of my company 4% of their yearly profits WORLDWIDE with a maximum of 20 million dollars. Which is actually lucky for us since we make a shit ton more. Its no last minute nonsense and its a surprise for no one, everybody just acts like it because in reality most still aren't prepared.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    And a company that doesn't want to adopt that sort of overhead and expense isn't bad, that's really my point. If companies can find profit inside that system and want to engage with it, fine.

I think trying to make a bad guy out of this game and studio as a way to justify the ruling is horrible. Some actors use data poorly. The EU has set a framework for how they think good data handling works. It's reasonable that some people will see the cost and task and choose to opt out. That doesn't make them bad people or a bad company.

China is a country with lots of region specific rules and laws that greatly differ from the US or EU. Lots of companies don't want to do business in China because of that. Some companies see profit beyond all that red tape and are willing to engage in business there. That doesn't make them better companies either, just compliant because they see profit.

My prediction is something very similar will happen with legislation concerning variable rewards containers (lootcrates). Several EU countries will develop their own different rules. Several years later they will be unified under an EU ruling and people will say, well you knew for years. Except when it comes to business rules they haven't been clear or well defined for years.

The US has a similar set of regulations for healthcare data. HIPAA compliance is one set, but there are others. Changing workflow to meet compliance is huge. Many small practices have sold their businesses (and customer data by the way) to larger healthcare companies because they can't make it work out financially. They've been known for years.

One thing that complicates this is how regulations change and evolve over the years affecting how compliance is implemented. The result is that companies who adopt too early end up paying more because they have to make more changes. It motivates companies to wait for compliance changes. Companies who also wait too long pay more too. I've seen several companies lose out on big federal reimbursements because they didn't hit the deadline.

I think it's completely understandable for a company to choose less daunting regions to operate in.
    I think you misunderstand me, I totally get why companies won't comply, especially outside of the EU. All I am saying is that these rules and regulations aren't a surprise, that doesn't mean they don't border on draconian. The question is simple, is it worth it for my company? And if not now, maybe later on? This is not nefarious, its reality.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

hfztt said:
    SBFord said:
    Albatroes said:
    Bullshit. How hard can it be. Seriously. They might have our names and some login info. THAT is all. (I hope. Else they have some explaining to do.) A simple accept for them holding the info, and TADA, a bit of logging, and a script that deletes inactive customers after, say, two years, and you are pretty much done.

I see what you mean but believe me, it is a LOT more complicated then that, the deleting of data is just a small part of it. The whole way things are stored, verified and processed needs to be completely overhauled and encrypted, sometimes bordering on impossible.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Spoken like someone who has no idea what it takes to develop commercial software, let alone something as intricate and involved as a video game.

It's like mandating that every house being built has to be built to withstand an Ocean's 11-style break-in attempt. Without massive resources you cannot possibly test every scenario that determined, informed and skilled experts will put your software through. It's unrealistic and unfair.
    Again. Bullshit. Why does the game hold any Personally Identifiable Info in the first place? What possible reason could it have to. Except for billing. And that you can by in a box ready for GDPR. If you start logging all kinds of behavior about specific users, that is on you. Just make anonymous stats and you are home free.

I am seeing a broad lack of knowledge about the subject here. Unless you are tracking and/or storing info in a way that lets you identify the subject person the GDPR does not apply. If you are an indy developer not based in EU and you sell a game that does not require registration, you are not affected by the GDPR at all. 

If you are based in the EU you will be have to comply to the GDPR in regards to what you store on ie. your employees etc. but still nothing regarding the game.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I think the issue is the idea that they had to shut down the entire company due (or in part) to GDPR. Some of the compliance standards are:

• Requiring the consent of subjects for data processing
    • Anonymizing collected data to protect privacy
    • Providing data breach notifications
    • Safely handling the transfer of data across borders
    • Requiring certain companies to appoint a data protection officer to oversee GDPR compliance
    I'm sorry but if this can decimate your operating budget, you don't have any business collecting or managing private data to begin with.

I'm not trivializing the transition but let's be real, when the compliance was announced it would be foolish to believe there wasn't a bunch of 3rd party services popping up to assist smaller companies w/ compliance.

Too many companies are playing fast and loose with sensitive data (to maximize profits, not operating budget) and then when a breach happens they hide it for months until they can mitigate the financial and legal fall out.  Meanwhile credit card info, phone numbers, addresses, credit history, and financial data hit the streets of China, Turkey, Brazil and Russia. So with all due respect mother f#$% the profits and the executive leadership payroll. Comply or die.

In regard to HIPAA thank goodness for that.
    MadFrenchie
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited May 2018

Maybe you should actually bother reading up on the GDPR, instead of spouting this total nonsense!

The GDPR is actually a great regulation for us consumers!

The fact that Facebook recently scrambled and migrated user data from 1,5 billion facebook users from Ireland to Canada to avoid the GDPR, just goes to show how much this regulation is needed!

Facebook's core business is your data and the GDPR forces companies to actually really delete all your data, when you decide to close and delete your account!
    So Facebook would need to delete everything they have on you, when you decide to delete your Facebook account!
    That is why Facebook moved all user data from non-EU customers away from Ireland, so they can avoid this regulation!
    It's thanks to the Facebook scandals and all the huge data theft scandals in recent years as to why the GDPR regulation was created.
    Since companies don't seem to care about you and protecting your data! Even after all the scandals over the years, companies did nothing to improve security. So they brought the GDPR regulation on themselves!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    lahnmir said:
    hfztt said:
    SBFord said:
    Albatroes said:

I see what you mean but believe me, it is a LOT more complicated then that, the deleting of data is just a small part of it. The whole way things are stored, verified and processed needs to be completely overhauled and encrypted, sometimes bordering on impossible.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    You also have to be able to provide proof you removed people, a real consideration and perhaps quite costly.

lahnmir

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

hfztt said:

Again. Bullshit. Why does the game hold any Personally Identifiable Info in the first place? What possible reason could it have to. Except for billing. And that you can by in a box ready for GDPR. If you start logging all kinds of behavior about specific users, that is on you. Just make anonymous stats and you are home free.

I am seeing a broad lack of knowledge about the subject here. Unless you are tracking and/or storing info in a way that lets you identify the subject person the GDPR does not apply. If you are an indy developer not based in EU and you sell a game that does not require registration, you are not affected by the GDPR at all. 

If you are based in the EU you will be have to comply to the GDPR in regards to what you store on ie. your employees etc. but still nothing regarding the game.
    I am knee deep in this, working with much more delicate data then some stupid billing info or surfing data, and on a semi workd wide scale.

But you are right, nothing stored, no problem. And even then, when you start something new right now it is relatively easy to comply, it is the existing structures that are expensive to change and I perfectly get that for some small businesses, or businesses that have almost nothing to do with the EU it is not worth it. If you really know a lot about the subject you know damn well it entails much, much more then simply deleting some data after a certain amount of time or anonimizing it. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited May 2018
    Shouldn't be hard for a indie project in development to comply because..
    - Their business should be in games, not information gathering and therefore should be easy to comply with GDPR on the little personal information they would need from their users.
    - If already in development, it should be minor changes that is needed.. compared to a lot of other bureaucratic/legislation/compliance challenges they face.

But for already released games that need to be altered, it could be pretty costly (and sometimes unrealistic) to re-open development. This is especially true for small studios and one-man developers with games that aren't raking in a lot of money but just chugging along. For example a game that earns 1000$ a year is likely not worth the development cost to get in GDPR compliance, and there are a good deal of game developers out there who survive on having a bunch of small income games running.

As a general note:
    Game companies should not be in the business of gathering personal information from you anyways; they should be in the business of creating good games. In the long run this is a positive regulation made to protect people/YOU (or consumers if you like).

Torval said:
    I think the issue is the idea that they had to shut down the entire company due (or in part) to GDPR. Some of the compliance standards are:

• Requiring certain companies to appoint a data protection officer to oversee GDPR compliance
    I'm sorry but if this can decimate your operating budget, you don't have any business collecting or managing private data to begin with.

I'm not trivializing the transition but let's be real, when the compliance was announced it would be foolish to believe there wasn't a bunch of 3rd party services popping up to assist smaller companies w/ compliance.

Too many companies are playing fast and loose with sensitive data (to maximize profits, not operating budget) and then when a breach happens they hide it for months until they can mitigate the financial and legal fall out.  Meanwhile credit card info, phone numbers, addresses, credit history, and financial data hit the streets of China, Turkey, Brazil and Russia. So with all due respect mother f#$% the profits and the executive leadership payroll. Comply or die.

I don't think the company is closing. They're Canadian and the maker of Chivalry. This is like a respin of that game with a different theme and online component. One of the user complaints was that they felt the game should have been free as a Chivalry mod so it didn't sell well.

HIPAA doesn't mean your data can't be used. It can be, but under some circumstances you must give your consent, others your consent is not needed, and in others, if it's anonymized, most of those rules fall away. HIPAA is a good thing but doesn't protect patients like people perceive the system to.

It's not about preventing the use of your data. It's about safeguarding it from being stolen or sold outright. All the people who can "do things" with your data, the government, insurance, law enforcement and healthcare systems still do all sorts of stuff with your data. In fact insurance companies are the worst offenders. They can make all sorts of decisions about you based on that data, and they do. 

The Meaningful Use component of HITECH and ACA is the component that pushed patient a patient-first agenda forward and out of the stone age. HIPAA is really about ensuring you can't link a piece of medical data or event to an individual without their prior consent. MU is about quality and consistency of that data and requirements to communicate that accurately.

Whereas GDPR and HIPAA are mostly about what can be done with data based on user consent. MU is about ensuring your data is treated how it should be, with care and accuracy. It actually requires reporting and measuring health trends with your data.
    Absolutely spot on, someones been being attention.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

edited May 2018
    Torval said:

I don't think the company is closing. They're Canadian and the maker of Chivalry. This is like a respin of that game with a different theme and online component. One of the user complaints was that they felt the game should have been free as a Chivalry mod so it didn't sell well.

HIPAA doesn't mean your data can't be used. It can be, but under some circumstances you must give your consent, others your consent is not needed, and in others, if it's anonymized, most of those rules fall away. HIPAA is a good thing but doesn't protect patients like people perceive the system to.

It's not about preventing the use of your data. It's about safeguarding it from being stolen or sold outright. All the people who can "do things" with your data, the government, insurance, law enforcement and healthcare systems still do all sorts of stuff with your data. In fact insurance companies are the worst offenders. They can make all sorts of decisions about you based on that data, and they do. 

The Meaningful Use component of HITECH and ACA is the component that pushed patient a patient-first agenda forward and out of the stone age. HIPAA is really about ensuring you can't link a piece of medical data or event to an individual without their prior consent. MU is about quality and consistency of that data and requirements to communicate that accurately.

Whereas GDPR and HIPAA are mostly about what can be done with data based on user consent. MU is about ensuring your data is treated how it should be, with care and accuracy. It actually requires reporting and measuring health trends with your data.
    Insurance has a vested interest in that data that translates to a vested interest for their customers.

Take it away, and you'll pay the worst possible premium for all your insurance because that's the only way to ensure the worst possible risks are mitigated and the company can stay solvent.  Insurance is about needs- homes, health, etc..  Video gaming is not.  So even if I held a lot of sympathy for companies like insurers or banks that need the information to mitigate risk (I don't, insurance companies are doing just fine and this likely won't do much damage to them), it wouldn't do a damn thing to garner sympathy for video game companies or other companies using it to maximize profit return on a product that's in no way essential to the livelihood or welfare of the population.

Not all companies serve an essential purpose, nor is all data collected for the same purpose.  Ignoring that is willfully plugging your ears because it isn't simple or black and white enough.