Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax is Looking for a Monetization Designer for ESO - Elder Scrolls Online - MMORPG.com

Comments

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Between the cash shop and the loot crates, this has been the underlying focus for the past several years. Even core mmo features like housing have been developed around maximizing it, not to mention each chapter/dlc brings with it the intent to monetize as much as possible either related to or directly within each. I'd much rather pay a sub than get this, shame this is the way the AAA industry has gone.
    [Deleted User]Tuor7BruceYee
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Monetization designer...

:(

[Deleted User]Tuor7

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    harrijc3 said:
    Maybe they should post it in the full page ad that slaps you in the face every time you login to the game.
    FYI I just found out that an old add-on that you can configure to suppress a lot of in-game messages has now been updated for Summerset and can be configured to make those ads go away. I haven't tried it myself yet nor do I know if ZOS will now take steps to make their ad add-on proof but here it is:

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2008-Nothankyoucontinued.html

I have now tried it and it works like a charm. No more ad!

As a bonus it gets rid of other annoyances by default like the double confirmation for deleting mail.

If you go looking for it to download, especially if you use Minion, be careful as there are 3 versions of this that can be installed. You want the one that says "continued" since that's the only version Summerset-ready.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    It's a job ad to poach the Monetization Designer away from Bless!
    [Deleted User]
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Wizardry said:

Is this not a terrible trend we are seeing from game developers more and more,so worried about maximizing profits than  game designs.
    Let's not think about better game designs,better done systems,let's just figure out how we can milk the cash cow the way it stands be it good or bad.

I'm actually ok if they take your money!
    Kyleranlahnmir
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    They surely need new monetization scheme because right now the game look like an atrocious pay2try quasi-scam with 60$+ upfront cost of multiple base game and expansion packs + premium currency sales.
    Isn't exactly expiring for a game with character's animations being ugly as sin - especially then combined with much more nicely looking competitor being just couple clicks away and costing only $10 (BDO).

Thank you for your time!

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited May 2018
    R.I.P Another game to soon be ruined by ignorance, at least I hope not, but this is really concerning to me...

Black Desert Online, is the only Korean MMORPG that gets the system just right without the whole Pay 2 Win aspects like most Korean games, every other game including ESO right now is (PAY 2 ENJOY) if you don't pay for Premium IMO you can't enjoy the game, same thing with the housing, lootboxes things players want to some are a must have.

Now they are talking about having someone manage all this, it's likely something bad will come of this.

If a game like ESO, or Zenimax wants to do this right, then they need a team that actually does what this says (but takes input from the players of the game) and players who have played MMORPG longer than a person who is being hired and only has 3 years experience in something...

This is like rushing through my A+ Certification and going to get hired at Geek Squad, where you get a bunch of computer techs that can't even tell you the difference between a WD Black & WD Green Hard Drive which goes to show the experience and issues, except in the MMO universe hiring someone who has 3+ years experience in management is great, but have they actually played, spent thousands of dollars across different MMORPG's and have experience in many games and what players would buy and enjoy without making players quit...
    Solancer
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986

Wizardry said:

Is this not a terrible trend we are seeing from game developers more and more,so worried about maximizing profits than  game designs.
    Let's not think about better game designs,better done systems,let's just figure out how we can milk the cash cow the way it stands be it good or bad.

That's actually what has gotten us into this mess.  People cling to the idea that it's their money so don't you dare complain about "their" game.  They never grasp the concept that "their" game doesn't live in a bubble and every stupid idea that someone enables in "their" game eventually spreads to all the other games.

Somehow in the last few years we have come to a world where a subscription is considered P2W but it's acceptable to sell $10,000 game perks.  A Box fee is now frowned upon as it's a barrier to entry...  better to lure them in with fake FREE 2 PLAY promises and then hook them on loot boxes.  

It's crazy...

Keldor837MadFrenchieSolancer

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Renoaku said:
    R.I.P Another game to soon be ruined by ignorance, at least I hope not, but this is really concerning to me...

Black Desert Online, is the only Korean MMORPG that gets the system just right without the whole Pay 2 Win aspects like most Korean games, every other game including ESO right now is (PAY 2 ENJOY) if you don't pay for Premium IMO you can't enjoy the game, same thing with the housing, lootboxes things players want to some are a must have.

Now they are talking about having someone manage all this, it's likely something bad will come of this.

If a game like ESO, or Zenimax wants to do this right, then they need a team that actually does what this says (but takes input from the players of the game) and players who have played MMORPG longer than a person who is being hired and only has 3 years experience in something...

This is like rushing through my A+ Certification and going to get hired at Geek Squad, where you get a bunch of computer techs that can't even tell you the difference between a WD Black & WD Green Hard Drive which goes to show the experience and issues, except in the MMO universe hiring someone who has 3+ years experience in management is great, but have they actually played, spent thousands of dollars across different MMORPG's and have experience in many games and what players would buy and enjoy without making players quit...
    This is not a newly created position, they're just filling Heather Power's (of SWTOR fame/infamy) vacancy .

They have had one of these since 2015.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    That $15 sub price is like an albatross around the neck in current times with all the other options out there. PC gaming has become a niche within what was once a niche hobby yet companies still operate like it's 10 years ago. PC gaming and even more so MMORPG are hurting because of the almost unlimited options available now for entertainment but instead of adapting, compromising and improvising they are sticking to their guns like they are still king when in fact they are not. Why not drop that sub price down to maybe $9.99 or less so people don't think much of it and keep it all year round. Is making $10 not better than making $0? How about dropping some of the prices in the cash shop down too cause those are not so much 'microtransactions' as they are dinner for two or three. People will defend outdated monetization for reasons of addiction or loyalty or both but there's no denying that PC gaming is hurting and almost all of the fault can be put on developers for their unending greed. Where are the veteran discounts on subs if you've been subbed more than 5+ years?? Where are the discounts to expansions if you've purchased them all? Any other bonus to anything if you've supported a game from the time it was just concept art? Nope, that's just too much extra work for them and we should be grateful that we are allowed to play the treasure of a game they created without ever criticizing or voicing our displeasure.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    We all know the way every MMO goes once it gets a cash shop, it is downhill to the bargain basement of dodgy revenue practice. For some it takes longer than others and not all reach the very bottom, but how far do you have to go before you have a P2W travesty of what a MMORPG once was?

The speed loot boxes spread shows how willing gaming companies are to take any dodgy practice to heart very quickly. But like I always say, if you think ESO is worth playing now stick with it, don't worry about the future. The fact you may one day walk away in disgust is something we have faced with MMOs for over a decade now. Enjoy it while you can.
    Solancer
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I strongly believe that one of the requirements to this posting should have you provide a video showing you logging into each mmo you have/currently play. And displaying your /played information (or providing some proof of purchase with the date at the least). Just to prove that you have experience with monetization on the receiving end as well. The previous job holder wasn't an avid gamer and was basically a car salesman who had never owned a car if i was to give a comparison.

The unconfirmed reason the previous holder of the position left is actually because they were pushing for more and more intrusive and lucrative means of making money. And the company was resisting her attempts at pushing the envelop from what they had established. Anyone that has played SWTOR following it's f2p conversion knows just how bad that pile of crap got with her in the seat and EA backing her. And that's the person who has been behind the loot crates and recent intrusive summerset ads in ESO.

So while most on here are concerned that Zenimax is getting greedy and looking to make more money at player expense. I look at it as an opportunity for them to pull back from the direction they've started going down and hopefully innovate and try something new. It will be hard for them to make things worse with the single most hated woman in western monetization no longer working there.
  • danisheraserdanisheraser Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Omg increadible how people overreact to this. Whine whine whine
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398

Omg increadible how people overreact to this. Whine whine whine

Because everyone know how it's gonna end => P2W
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited May 2018

Wizardry said:

That's actually what has gotten us into this mess.  People cling to the idea that it's their money so don't you dare complain about "their" game.  They never grasp the concept that "their" game doesn't live in a bubble and every stupid idea that someone enables in "their" game eventually spreads to all the other games.

Somehow in the last few years we have come to a world where a subscription is considered P2W but it's acceptable to sell $10,000 game perks.  A Box fee is now frowned upon as it's a barrier to entry...  better to lure them in with fake FREE 2 PLAY promises and then hook them on loot boxes.  

It's crazy...

I suspect you overlooked the very subtle, but "tongue in cheek" humor of @StoneRoses reply. 

I'm OK if they take Wiz's money too.

Yours or mine, not so much.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FrozenyearroundFrozenyearround Member UncommonPosts: 155
    The evolution of this is simple:

Players demanded free games

F2p was introduced 

Developers still need to make money

Cash shops introduced

Gamers wanted restricted cash shops no p2w stuff even though the p2w term is grossly over used.

Crates/boxes were introduced 

Gamers are asking governments to regulate crates/boxes.  These same governments blame video games for violence and sexual crimes.

Gamers request to the government will open Pandora box.

Gaming will never be the same and one of the most affordable hobby will dramatically increase in price.  

I never spend real money on loot boxes, I tend to agree with most countries they are not gambling.   I don't mind them because most the games i play give me currency for either subbing or playing the game to purchase the loot boxes.  If some want to spend their own money on them and it helps keep gaming cheap I'm all for it.  
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Anthur said:
    Monetization Designer ? Really ? That's definately a job you shouldn't tell anyone about at your first date.
    "What are you doing ?"
    "I am a Monetization Designer."
    "Oh, what's that ? Do you design banknotes ?"
    "No, I am creating methods so people spend money on useless shit in otherwise boring games because the game designer can't figure out how to create a fun game."
    "Oh, that sounds .... interesting. Wait, I think I got a call from my friend. Sorry, have to leave. cu."
    Not much of a difference between a Monetization Designer and someone who works in Marketing. They both want to make more money out of a product and they are the ones to design the way to get it. 

For a "boring" game it sure has a lot of people playing all the time. 
    Kyleran said:

Wizardry said:

It's crazy...

I suspect you overlooked the very subtle, but "tongue in cheek" humor of @StoneRoses reply. 

;)
    No that was actually my point.  I DO care if they use stupid monetization schemes to take Wiz’s money because it incentivized other games to follow along.  I can’t stop people from doing dumb things with their money and enabling increasingly ridiculous monetization concepts but I can at least voice my displeasure!

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited May 2018
    Kyleran said:

Wizardry said:

It's crazy...

;)
    No that was actually my point.  I DO care if they use stupid monetization schemes to take Wiz’s money because it incentivized other games to follow along.  I can’t stop people from doing dumb things with their money and enabling increasingly ridiculous monetization concepts but I can at least voice my displeasure!
    Who are you to determine how someone else spends their money on a hobby as "dumb"?   I am glad we haven't got to a point where people like you are able to tell people what is right or wrong on how they spend their own money on a hobby.

I don't spend real money on loot boxes but it's not my business to tell others how to spend their own money on a hobby and it sure isn't your business either .  
    Keldor837
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    edited May 2018
    It wouldn't be so bad, if their actual in-game content has had some sort of growth like the Crown Store. All their investments seem to be going into more Crown Store offering, instead of game play. The newer in-game content is cookie cutter, predictable, and boring. They really lost a fan here.
    Deadrites87BruceYeeSolancer
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2018
    Kyleran said:

Wizardry said:

It's crazy...

;)
    Who are you to determine how someone else spends their money on a hobby as "dumb"?   I am glad we haven't got to a point where people like you are able to tell people what is right or wrong on how they spend their own money on a hobby.

I don't spend real money on loot boxes but it's not my business to tell others how to spend their own money on a hobby and it sure isn't your business either .  
    Yet they're still becoming more and more prevalent, despite you and Slap's (and mine, for that matter) resistance.

Loot box monetization is built to avoid the need for popularity.  That's why it's so focused on snagging whales.

Kyleran said:

Wizardry said:

It's crazy...

;)

I'm a person with an opinion.  At no point did I say you shouldn't be allowed to spend your money in a dumb manner or a smart manner, or even burn it.  But to think that it doesn't affect EVERYONE is just silly.   It DOES. So yeah, I will voice my OPINION that supporting increasingly idiotic forms of monetization is not good.

Kyleran said:

Wizardry said:

It's crazy...

;)

Yet they're still becoming more and more prevalent, despite you and Slap's (and mine, for that matter) resistance.

Loot box monetization is built to avoid the need for popularity.  That's why it's so focused on snagging whales.
    Im not resistant or in favor of them.  I lean more to let each person decide for themselves.  It's not my business to tell another person how he should spend his money on a hobby.  I personally don't see an issue with loot boxes especially in games that give you currency for subbing or playing.  I wouldn't lose sleep if they got rid of them and I wouldn't lose sleep if they continue to become more popular.  They just don't impact me at all.  
    MadFrenchie
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited May 2018

Wizardry said:

It's crazy...

hmmm, I think that's not wholly correct.

The only time I've ever seen someone say a subscription is "pay to win" is when it is offered in an otherwise buy to play/Free to play game and where it offers incentives over those who don't subscribe.

The idea if one pays money one gets benefits over those who don't which is the same as someone buying a 10k perk. Whether or not there is "win" is another thing but it's usually some sort of perk or advantage or convenience. Then again a subscription is just that "paying a subscription to have access to the game otherwise one doesn't". So everyone is on an even playing field there.

I don't think anyone would say that a game that is solely subscription based is "pay to win" when compared to selling large priced perks.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Kyleran said:

Wizardry said:

It's crazy...

;)

I'm a person with an opinion.  At no point did I say you shouldn't be allowed to spend your money in a dumb manner or a smart manner, or even burn it.  But to think that it doesn't affect EVERYONE is just silly.   It DOES. So yeah, I will voice my OPINION that supporting increasingly idiotic forms of monetization is not good.

Thats fair I guess.   I'm am sure there are things you spend your money on that some people would consider dumb and impacts them negatively.  Should stop doing it?

Im in the let the individual decide for themselves.  I also feel bringing the government into this will do far more damage to video games as a whole.  
    Slapshot1188