Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's Get Creative: [Mount System]

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
Let's get some new types of threads in here. If you were going to create a system of mounts, how would you do it?

Here are the features:
1) Can tame any creature out in the wild
2) Can take that type of creature and breed it for specifics (a la SWG)
3) Can get lucky with mutations to get different types of creatures
4) Certain mounts are better in certain (i.e. a horse would be great for plains terrain but suck in the desert, whereas a camel is better in the desert)
5) Mounts would have to be fed and can get some bonuses on exotic foods or may just require exotic foods like in real life
6) Mounted combat and gear for mounts is available. 
7) Flying mounts will be extraordinarily rare and it would be akin to owning a rolls royce in RL, only a select few will ever be able.
8) Some mounts can have their own attacks. 
9) Mounts can be killed in specific PvP zones
10) Mount stats are unlimited but will have severe diminishing returns
11) There will be mount races
12) Skins will be done by genetic engineering
13) Mounts in the city will cost a nominal fee per minute use in a city (poop cleanup)
14) There will be taming and breeding professions
15) There will be diseases that can affect mounts and then go to players (swine flu, etc)

Okay, go discuss. Also, what is best game for mounts/pets

Cryomatrix
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
Steelhelm

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Personally I like the idea of breeding for a variety of things. I like the idea of leveling mounts.

I'm not a big fan of taming anything in the wild but that's just me.

I also prefer mounts not being "a skill" and not being able to put them away/take them out wherever you are. So the Black Desert model is my preference.

Also, I like the idea that mounts can not only die, but die permanently and then you have to raise new mounts. This way there can be a mount economy.

But that's just my preference.
    4507Eronakis
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    When you kill people in PvP, you can resurrect them as an infected zombie mount. The more souls that you resurrect, the more contorted and beastly your zombie becomes. After 10 enemy kills without dying, your zombie mount can shoot lasers out of its eyes.
    Cryomatrix
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Sovrath said:
    Personally I like the idea of breeding for a variety of things. I like the idea of leveling mounts.

I'm not a big fan of taming anything in the wild but that's just me.

I also prefer mounts not being "a skill" and not being able to put them away/take them out wherever you are. So the Black Desert model is my preference.

Also, I like the idea that mounts can not only die, but die permanently and then you have to raise new mounts. This way there can be a mount economy.

But that's just my preference.
    I've not given much thought to mounts, as all they do in MMORPGs are increase the character's HP/Mana and give a boost to travel speed.  This seems like a reasonable place to start, though.

What about having the mount increase your character's carrying capacity?  That's an important thing with real animals.  Maybe a mount could have a special inventory slot for bags?  That would at least be something other than the rather difficult to accept increase to HP/Mana.

I like the idea of mounts being permanently displayed, not shoved into the Character's regular inventory.  Death of mounts could make for interesting gaming decisions, such as what to do with the excessive weight of those prime loot items you have stored in the saddlebags?  And saddlebags speaks of something else to loot in PvP games.  Horse theft could become a very real thing in a game.

I wouldn't want taming/breeding to be simple one-button operations, though.  It should take a bit more dedication and work to achieve this.  The economy of mounts should be important.  Animal mounts provided transportation to humans into the 20th century, when they were essentially replaced by engines.  Like engines, mounts would be one of the most expensive things a person might buy in their lifetime.  Owning a mount was, at various periods of history, a symbol of status, so maybe cosmetic decorations for animals could become a thing.

Would it really be so difficult to have horse races in your basic MMORPG fantasy world?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    This is how I'd do it:

1. All mounts are crafted by raising animals from infancy (takes anywhere between 3 hours and 3 weeks, depending on animal, done in tamagotchi-inspired gameplay). The baby animals are obtained from either taming baby animals in the wild (sometimes requires killing the mother first, especially if you have a bad sneak skill) or hatching eggs.

2. Once the animal has been fully raised, you have the option to break it (create a mount) or to breed it with other fully raised animals of the opposite sex. Mounts have a wide range of traits and characteristics that you might want to either emphasize or suppress as a breeder for differently-purposed mounts (for example, you'd want more speed and less aggression for a travel horse, but the opposite for a war horse). The traits are randomly chosen when obtaining an animal from the wild, but are derived from the new animal's parents' traits when breeding one in captivity.

3. Mounts are persistent in the game world, meaning they don't appear/disappear in a puff of smoke, but rather stay in the world whether being ridden, led around, tied up, or pastured on player owned land. The only exception to this is stables in major cities that will store your mount for a time-based fee, mainly so you can walk around large cities without your mount getting in the way, since tying them up within city limits is banned (perhaps have NPC guards give parking tickets to violators?).

4. Following from 3, mounts have needs such as food, water, and attention just as they did when they were being raised (this is one major downside of having something like a dragon - while a horse can graze on pasture grass, you need to supply your dragon with mountains of costly fresh meat). They also have an exhaustion bar (so you can't ride your horse for 16 hours straight), a health bar, and a lifespan dependent on how well the aforementioned needs are met, so even non-combat oriented mounts are constantly leaving the game through natural death.

5. Mount-based combat is spread out among several distinct skills for each major grouping of mounts (e.g. cavalry for horses, unicorns, and camels, mahoutism for mammoths and elephants, etc). In a class-based game, there would be different classes for each of these, with a few added to substitute for the lack of choice in other areas (e.g. knight, horse archer, lancer, etc). Other classes would not be able to do mount-based combat.

6. Mounts have several different equipment slots, some cosmetic (e.g. caparison), some utility (e.g. saddle bags), and some combat-related (e.g. helmet), the exact slots available depending on mount (so you only get the tusk trim slot on mammoths and elephants, not on horses, for example).
    Cryomatrix
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736

5) Mounts would have to be fed and can get some bonuses on exotic foods or may just require exotic foods like in real life
    If you go with this system I would suggest the same system I suggest for dealing with player hunger/thirst systems. You and your mount would have food/drink slots. Hunger/thirst do not deplete if you have food/drink in them.

It keeps the jist of a hunger system (Drive the economy / add realism / reward characters that can gather their own food) without the main downside (It being utterly tedious remember to make your character eat every 10 minutes).
    Steelhelm
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited May 2018
    I would like to add the aging and in the end dying of a mount. This way you could add a tamer/breeder profession which would stay relevant and it would be a great money sink. Injuries and heavy use would of course speed up the process of death. Mounts these days are taken for granted.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    While I personally love the idea of an MMO within which I could breed mounts or pets, I'm pretty horrified by the idea that they could have diseases.  I absolutely hated that "feature" in A Tale In The Desert.

It might be wise to take the opportunity to study existing features in non-MMO pet games and how they have evolved A LOT since tamagotchis.  Generally, a system which does not have gender, and any animal can be bred with any other animal, makes for much smoother and more fun gameplay than a system which requires males and females.  Secondly, realistic or semi-realistic genetics make for absolutely horrible gameplay because they are both too simple and too random.  Thirdly, there has yet to be a game where interacting with a pet to raise it doesn't turn into a disgustingly boring grind after about 3 pets.  This is kind of a pity, because I like games where you do various activities with a pet, like racing them, going through an agility course or jumping course, responding to their emoted needs with the correct actions or object choices, and playing pet-themed minigames.  The problem is that unless the game is 100% focused on the pets, the devs are never going to be willing to put the development time and money into a wide variety of ways to interact with a pet.  And narrow variety = grind.  About the only long-term tolerable method of maturing pets is when it's done through combat, because combat usually gets a huge share of development resources and consequently has at least a medium amount of variety.  And even then, it's important that raising a pet doesn't add a burden that isn't normally there in combat, because that would make players wince at the idea of doing it.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • IceDarkIceDark Member UncommonPosts: 207
    A mount is .. a mount. You can't actually create a big system around it.

But, I have this idea about how to make mounts matter a bit more in a game ( mmo ).

Mounts Races

1) Raise them ( at a..some short of a farm ) . It takes time to do that. You must feed the mount daily. You can make ..quests for other players, if they wish to come and feed, train your mount. The better the food and training, the better the stats will have when he will "be ready" to race.

a) Stats : Stamina, Speed, Galloping Resistance ( short/long distances ) to name a few.
    b) Mount Race Player Stats : ???

2) There should be : Training Races - 1 per day and Competitive Weekly & Monthly Races , with Monthly being some short of "Finals". 

a) Training Races - Is where you get Player Experience in Riding
    b) Weekly & Monthly - Is where you get ( even more - depending on your place ) Player Experience in Riding and Rewards.
    c) Mount is also earning experience in both Training and Competitive Races.

3) Players can craft Mounts Items such as : saddles , bridles , helms, etc

( or even This )

and also Rider Items - Both will be Players Crafting Only. 

4) Mounts can get injured during Training and Competitive Races.

5) There should be a big, imposing hippodrome for Competitive Races.

6) Rankings, weekly/monthly stats , player's betting , etc.

No..Dragons , for obvious reasons :) , or any flying mounts. Also no .. "out of the way" mounts, such as ...

Preferable Horse only , and.. "alike".

There are some more things to add to this Mounts Races , but .. that's pretty much the base of what I would do in a MMO when it comes to Mounts.

This should keep a player busy for around 30 mins a day, with up to 2 hours in the Competitive Races.

The Ice is dark and full of terror.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited May 2018
    Machine "mount" with all type of bike , cars and tank , robot , ship , submarine , aircraft .
    Player only need to create parts to craft them . No shit creation , fast , easy to fix and recycle
    Friendly with fantasy , flue by magiccccc with no waste and eco friendly .

And specially the explosion when it get destroy special make by Michael B.

Post edited by iixviiiix on
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I would like a customization menu where I could spend points on a mount that has attributes I value.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests