Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With the Final KR CBT Incoming, SmileGate Releases a Triple Treat of Trailers - Lost Ark - MMORPG.co

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageWith the Final KR CBT Incoming, SmileGate Releases a Triple Treat of Trailers - Lost Ark - MMORPG.com

Lost Ark News - The final Korean closed beta test for Lost Ark is set to get underway later this week. Three new classes will be featured in this round of testing: the Hawk Eye, Soul Master and Bard. To show players the capabilities of each, developers released a triple treat of trailers.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• enesisxlr8enesisxlr8 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    SmileGate is looking to launch Lost Ark in South Korea in 2018 and in China (published by Tencent) in 2019. There is no word yet on a western release.

We seem to get the games many years later...
    SBFordLife2v
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    I've always wondered why don't they ever try to do a global release... If the game is a success it's fine to release first KR, then Asia, then the rest of the world, but if it's a fail they've lost A LOT of potential money. If they do a global release even if the game isn't a success they would make the "uninformed players" money at least, while once people know it's a failure they lower their market from potential millions(if not 10's of millions for Lost Ark in particular) to couple hundred thousands(Bless is a good example).
    djnj2000Solancer
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400

I've always wondered why don't they ever try to do a global release... If the game is a success it's fine to release first KR, then Asia, then the rest of the world, but if it's a fail they've lost A LOT of potential money. If they do a global release even if the game isn't a success they would make the "uninformed players" money at least, while once people know it's a failure they lower their market from potential millions(if not 10's of millions for Lost Ark in particular) to couple hundred thousands(Bless is a good example).

From what I understand, when they release games in different regions they have a lot of stuff they have to change. China has some pretty aggressive laws that gaming companies have to abide by. Western gamers have different preferences than Korean gamers so they make significant changes to the game to cater to other regions.
    Xingbairong
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305

DMKano said:

SmileGate is looking to launch Lost Ark in South Korea in 2018 and in China (published by Tencent) in 2019. There is no word yet on a western release.

We seem to get the games many years later...

Because every single Korean ARPG'-MMO crashed and burned or way undersold in the west.

The track record isnt good, Smilegate should be very apprehensive at this point.

See how the game does in Korea and China first.

Uhm of course they do because they are always released as an afterthought 6 years later when the game, the engine and graphics are extremely dated lol. So yup if this shows up in NA 5 years from now I won't give it a dime like many others and once again another eastern game will tank in the west.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839
    By the time this game reaches the west, PoE will be borderline untouchable and I strongly suspect that Wolcen will release and take any market share that Lost Ark was aiming for.
    UniversalDude
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Aeander said:
    By the time this game reaches the west, PoE will be borderline untouchable and I strongly suspect that Wolcen will release and take any market share that Lost Ark was aiming for.
    The combat is crap in PoE and Wolcen only looks marginally better.  A better comparison to make would be Lineage "TL" to this. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Aeander said:
    But isn't this an mmorpg? I don't think Path of Exile is an mmorpg. And looking up Wolcen (which I didn't know about so thanks) their site indicates that they don't have multiplayer yet.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    But isn't this an mmorpg? I don't think Path of Exile is an mmorpg. And looking up Wolcen (which I didn't know about so thanks) their site indicates that they don't have multiplayer yet.
    Again, as DMKano said, no MMOARPG has ever succeeded at all, much less in the west. There is a first time for everything, mind you, but Lost Ark is going to have to be an incredible game to be that first time. 
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    Again, as DMKano said, no MMOARPG has ever succeeded at all, much less in the west. There is a first time for everything, mind you, but Lost Ark is going to have to be an incredible game to be that first time. 
    Based on the gameplay alone it will be worth the wait.  Even if none of the more mmo features are good.....the combat already looks miles ahead of the competition.  There's actual weight to it, and it's not a giant AoE spam-fest.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    My point was that they aren't really the same type of game therefore they aren't in competition. I agree that a forced perspective mmorpg will have challenges in the west simply because of how western players seem to approach them. I imagine it could have something to do with immersion and the forced perspective breaks that and makes it "less of a world". That's just a guess though.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    Aeander said:
    My point was that they aren't really the same type of game therefore they aren't in competition. I agree that a forced perspective mmorpg will have challenges in the west simply because of how western players seem to approach them. I imagine it could have something to do with immersion and the forced perspective breaks that and makes it "less of a world". That's just a guess though.
    From what I understand, it's more of a depth issue. ARPG's find their appeal in diverse gear customization and build depth, whereas MMOARPGs have historically been lacking in this department.

There is also the hurdle of class design. MMOs usually divide classes by roles, whereas ARPGs (as more single player/co-op games) give their characters limited support capabilities on otherwise self-sufficient characters. From what I understand, Lost Ark has a single (genderlocked) dedicated support (the Bard) with the rest of the classes being dps and/or tanking and that simply won't suffice for a MMO. They are going to have to expand their support options. 
    Sovrath
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

moshra said:

From what I understand, when they release games in different regions they have a lot of stuff they have to change. China has some pretty aggressive laws that gaming companies have to abide by. Western gamers have different preferences than Korean gamers so they make significant changes to the game to cater to other regions.

Yeah I guess you are right that there is a lot they have to change to cater to the market the game is aimed at, but still I think that if it's a game with high expectations like Lost Ark it's worth the investment to do a global release.
  • IceDarkIceDark Member UncommonPosts: 207
    To many.. special effects for a MMO. Now I just imagine , how would a party of 5 Bards spamming AOE skills , knows wtf is happening on the screen.

That , or .. maybe they will have some short of an option, to disable skill effects from other players, or at least, out of the top skills with huge special effects.
    The Ice is dark and full of terror.
    IceDark said:
    To many.. special effects for a MMO. Now I just imagine , how would a party of 5 Bards spamming AOE skills , knows wtf is happening on the screen.

That , or .. maybe they will have some short of an option, to disable skill effects from other players, or at least, out of the top skills with huge special effects.

You mean like every game to release in the last 10 years?
  • DecardCainDecardCain Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Looks typical for asian mmo.
  • masaki23masaki23 Member UncommonPosts: 43
    We will probably get to play the new Lineage game before we get our hands on this game. I had always felt that we would get Lineage Eternal first there was a NcSoft West. We would be playing Lineage Eternal now if it did not get such a bad review from Korean gamers. And with the hype around this game Project TL needs to come out first and get a player base first.
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    We will see it in 2022? It will be F2P, riddled with hacks, exploits and P2W cash shop.

I can't wait!!
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited May 2018
    When the game fails in 2 other regions then maybe us peasants in the west will get to try it.
    Post edited by BruceYee on
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Liking the bard a lot. I want to play this.