Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon, what are you expecting ?

Comments

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

"Battle royale mode" makes no sense whatsoever for Pantheon. You're going to play a character longtime. Also IMHO the only Battle royale game is Playerunknowns Battlegrounds. Everyone else is only copying.

What do you think EQ would be like with:
    1) No death penalty (at most maybe ghost/zombie corpse runs like UO?)
    2) No weight encumbrance
    3) Fast hp/mana/etc regen so adventuring isn't slowed by resting
    4) No food/water consumption requirement
    5) No long lasting debuffs (like rabies in EQ1)
    6) Multiple bind points and bind stones (for binding yourself)
    7) Cross-server grouping
    8) Dungeon/Item finder (a gamey version of Allahkazam)
    9) City teleporters (to facilitate faster grouping)
    10) Some instancing of quest content
    11) No gear holes (no hunting for that one item you need with haste or MR)
    12) Radar for seeing nearby monsters and in-game map like EQ2
    13) Dynamic quest events for multiple players
    14) Everyone has some limited feign death skill

2) and 4) would be true; this aint Sims, so no encumbrance or obligatory food/water consumption

3) they explicitly said they wanted a bit of downtime back compared to Vanguard

8) No. I dont know what that is, but it doesnt sound like anything they'll do.

Rest definitely NOT. They do NOT want instancing, they do NOT want cross server grouping, they do NOT want mainstreamed classes, etc.

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited May 2018

Realistically, As a fan, I'll give my honest opinion of what I'm expecting.

Vanguard 2 is the best way to explain it.  Using the live stream on Twitch a few months back as my guide, I'll have to admit, much looks the same.  As I often say I'm not a programmer.  But it seems developers often keep a fixated way of creating mmos, much like an artist signature.

I'm expecting graphics to be slightly outdated or maybe a little more than that.  I'm expecting the animation's and creatures to be chunky in their actions.  I'm not expecting the total overall game environment to really feel natural.  As you approach an npc I would expect it would give you that odd look as you speak to them.  Much of this will have an EQ2 and Vanguard, old school way about it.

Sounds negative right ?

Well then, all hope is not lost !.............Infact from a game play prospective Visionary Realms will far exceed anything to date on a grand scale. Monsters, traps and predicament's the player will experience will be mind blowing good  !!!.....The player groups will have to think and discuss as a well oiled unit.  Most of the content will be hard, but not in a way of just combat, but to find weakness, and strategy.

Overcoming weaknesses, and using strategy is rare in mmos.  I think Brad and his team will give us an amazing adventure.  Sure, the casual's will be shocked, but as long as their social and willing to work as a team, they too will find Pantheon intriguing.

So get over graphics, Get over having that $600 video card ( I have one too ).  Play for real adventure !!!!!

What are you expecting ?

I'm expecting it to be a lot like Vanguard in its success, but I have faith we can overcome. I'm willing to look past all the flaws. If the ship sinks, I want to go down with it. Because I know what I like. I don't want to argue. I don't want to agonize who's right. It never ends. I just want to play what I want to play. Period. I work a lot lately and I don't got time to waste like I used to.

I want to be there success or no success. I may lose interest. I can't guarantee I'll stay forever. I liked Wurm Online and I'm watching Saga of Lucimia. Sometimes I think gaming is bad too, and I threaten to turn my attention away from virtual worlds to the real one. All I can pledge, here and now, is I'll do everything I can to be there when it launches and go on adventures with the rest of you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976
    A long wait...
    Hawkaya399Kylerandelete5230
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I am expecting nothing. That's what I get when I look at this game. :|
    Hachlath
    Dullahan said:
    Imagine that, people get bored playing single player "multiplayer" games that lead them around by the hand and throw loot and false praise at them for doing nothing.
    Now this I respect, Dullahan shows he is a fan, we know where he is coming from, we do get rather a lot of posters sailing under a white flag for every up and coming MMO on here.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I expect to wait and see. :neutral:

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Since I made this post, graphics had improved 5x over..... This is great !!!! 

However, I'm still concerned about coding and optimizing.  My opinion on this will not change until I can see for myself.  

In a true mmorpg It goes way beyond what my computer can handle....EVERYONES computer has to handle it.... Were all in it together !  

I'm sure high end graphics are slowing production time down drastically.  It's not that big of a deal, however it is.  

My view: 
    I'm in it for gameplay and don't give a rats butt about graphics. 
    *This is none of my business how they make their game* 
    *What I care about is, can EVERRYONE handle it on their computer so it doesn't flop*
    edited May 2018
    Since I made this post, graphics had improved 5x over..... This is great !!!! 

However, I'm still concerned about coding and optimizing.  My opinion on this will not change until I can see for myself.  

In a true mmorpg It goes way beyond what my computer can handle....EVERYONES computer has to handle it.... Were all in it together !  

I'm sure high end graphics are slowing production time down drastically.  It's not that big of a deal, however it is.  

My view: 
    I'm in it for gameplay and don't give a rats butt about graphics. 
    *This is none of my business how they make their game* 
    *What I care about is, can EVERRYONE handle it on their computer so it doesn't flop*
    Making sure everyone could play is why WoW had cartoony graphics that looked a bit past it when it launched. Trouble is unless the game is relatively very good to other MMOs, you can't pull that off. We have ages to wait on this one, only time will tell.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Naw, I'd rather they design it for players willing to spend a bit more on their rigs, and not cater to the lowest common denominator. 

The masses are never going to flock to this game, but those really interested will more than likely make the effort to make sure their PCs can handle it.

ScotSovrathdelete5230Zorlofe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    edited May 2018
    All I have read and seen from the play thrus with the devs screams EQ1.....The gameplay looks almost identical with slightly improved graphics and animations.....I just dont know how well a game like this will fly in 2020 or whenever it launches.
  • DyanuDyanu Member CommonPosts: 9
    EQ1 but taking in some of the best features of all the newest games including better graphics in a new world. Like I love the way GW bridges the gap between characters that have a wide array of levels so you can play with lower level characters and not overwhelm the creatures of the zone. I like the way City of Heroes did thier dungeon tasks by considering the number and levels of the group/raid and then creating the appropriate numbers and levels of mobs for that dungeon.  Also City of Heroes did something unique with loot. It gave loot out randomly to players in the group/raid and left it up to the players to trade with others if not needed.  
    Just remember, No matter where you go...there you are!
  • CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    edited May 2018
    I hope this game is a slightly tweaked EQ1 with updated graphics and an EvE online  type community. A game that isn't super popular that doesn't attract the theme park trash players, instant gratification idiots, gold sellers and cheaters. 

An actual game that requires skill, large time commitments and slow character progression in which you become that character. A game in which a small community of dedicated fans keep the game profitable and that can last a decade or two.   
    DyanuZorlofe
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I expect LESS than what i originally hoped for.I am more than certain this will simply be an EQ1 with graphics update.No matter what they billed the game to do or improve upon it still appears to be EQ1 2.0.
    One of the biggest flaws of almost every mmorpg is they SEEM to feel that the BEST content needs to be in dungeons,BORING,BLAND dungeons and that is VERY far from the truth.I could do completely without a single dungeon/instance for the ENTIRE game.
    Teh second biggest flaw is EQ's and the Wow clones all take a back seat when comes to combat,FXI is still the most overall diverse class/combat design in the genre.
    So after all these years,i had hoped brad and team have learned to improve or tweak the best ideas but instead looks to still lack the kind of depth i seek and appears to be a LOT closer to same old than something new.

ALL WOW and clones are no better than a 5-6/10,this game will come in around the same score,playable but will not do anything great just ho hum in all of the systems.

When finally released there might be a couple systems done very well,however the same question i ask myself when new comes out is WHY would i play this if i feel there is better already out there?
    svann

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Wizardry said:
    I expect LESS than what i originally hoped for.I am more than certain this will simply be an EQ1 with graphics update.No matter what they billed the game to do or improve upon it still appears to be EQ1 2.0.
    One of the biggest flaws of almost every mmorpg is they SEEM to feel that the BEST content needs to be in dungeons,BORING,BLAND dungeons and that is VERY far from the truth.I could do completely without a single dungeon/instance for the ENTIRE game.
    Teh second biggest flaw is EQ's and the Wow clones all take a back seat when comes to combat,FXI is still the most overall diverse class/combat design in the genre.
    So after all these years,i had hoped brad and team have learned to improve or tweak the best ideas but instead looks to still lack the kind of depth i seek and appears to be a LOT closer to same old than something new.

ALL WOW and clones are no better than a 5-6/10,this game will come in around the same score,playable but will not do anything great just ho hum in all of the systems.

When finally released there might be a couple systems done very well,however the same question i ask myself when new comes out is WHY would i play this if i feel there is better already out there?
     From this I get that you want no areas with concentrated populations of mobs like a dungeon or city or whatever and just want mobs spread out over the whole area ? What do you define as the best content? The mobs that drop the best loot or the more difficult ones or what?
     What is it about the classes, this game seems to be using the DnD type classes. Do you want a classless system like UO had or what?
     And the combat is a lot like EQ where you work down one mob usually and crowd control the others at least against difficult mobs. What would you like for combat? More like Diablo style where you have no crowd control and just mass kill lots of mobs? Maybe better animations for the combat skills which I think will come later? Or what?
     As far as WoW goes I would not give it more than a 2 out of 10 at best. Its one of the few games that I could not even finish the beta much less play at release.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Dullahan said:
    Ok, so its just a matter of being able to move around.

If immersion is the goal, I think realistic mechanics like sitting to rest are important. Just a matter of preference, but I've always found it strange to watch my character recover from battle while sprinting around. I think they are going for that kind of thing in Pantheon.

If it were up to me, I'd take survival and the realism aspect even further. I'd have camp fires that provide a buff, a light source along with other activities during downtime like playing music, cooking, sharpening weapons and anything else to increase interaction and interdependence between players. I'd also make food and drink more important and going without be very detrimental. Thats just me though. I want something more than another fantasy video game.
    Did that plenty in Afghanistan and Iraq.  I dont want to do it in my mmorpg lol.  But to each their own.
    vandal5627
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Kyleran said:
    Naw, I'd rather they design it for players willing to spend a bit more on their rigs, and not cater to the lowest common denominator. 

The masses are never going to flock to this game, but those really interested will more than likely make the effort to make sure their PCs can handle it.

Sorry to disappoint, but if I have to upgrade three computers, I won't be playing.

Right now Rift is about the upper limit on what my computers can handle. If Pantheon takes much more than that, It won't happen for me.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Not really seeing “situations” looks like your standard stand pull mobs pack by pack dungeon grinder.
    Mikeha
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • dcutbi001dcutbi001 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Kyleran said:

Sorry to disappoint, but if I have to upgrade three computers, I won't be playing.

Right now Rift is about the upper limit on what my computers can handle. If Pantheon takes much more than that, It won't happen for me.

Yikes, man I hope it scales down well enough to play on your machines but using a game released in 2011 as a standard for hardware is pushing the limits. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you though. I want to see as many people in the game that are interested as possible. 
    Sovrathsvanndelete5230MrMelGibson
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited May 2018
    dcutbi001 said:
    Kyleran said:

Yikes, man I hope it scales down well enough to play on your machines but using a game released in 2011 as a standard for hardware is pushing the limits. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you though. I want to see as many people in the game that are interested as possible. 
    Agreed. If your rigs are more than 3 years out of date to moderate standards you should not expect to play modern games.

In the recent article shared about UOs creation I noted Richard said they developed it on the absolute best hardware they could obtain, bleeding edge at times.

In the early days of MMORPGs it was sort of expected players would upgrade to the latest hardware. 

DAOC actually published a list of the 10 or so supported video cards and you had to buy one in order to play. (At least I did anyways)

It wasn't until a combination of WOWs success in delivering a game which could be played by most anyone coupled with Vanguards failure in part because they incorrectly assumed those interested in playing would be upgrading as before that this changed.

I now have a 4 year old gaming laptop which should be put out to pasture, but since modern MMOs dont provide any challenge for it there's no reason to upgrade. (Which I used to do every 3 years)

Since they are going for a more niche market anyways,  I wouldnt mind seeing them target those with mid level, modern PCs.

Probably won't,  but one can hope.

MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Wizardry said:

I'm the opposite, I prefer dungeons, temples, caves etc.

What do you want? mobs just standing outside?
    MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Kyleran said:

Is it really reasonable to expect an old computer to play games launched "today"?

So if Rift launched in 2011, that's 7 years ago. Pantheon will launch in 2 years?

So running a game on 9 year old equipment is asking a lot. Even if it isn't trying to be Black Desert quality graphics.
    Kiori001KyleranMrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Im expecting 35% EQ and 65% Vanguard ............... Should be great
    svanndelete5230Kiori001shassell
  • DyanuDyanu Member CommonPosts: 9
    edited May 2018
    I would like to see EQ1 with nicer looking and smoother graphics, smoother gameplay, more role immersion,  and more interaction with the environment. I Iike to explore the world, and have a changing world.  From what I have seen, pantheon has the better and smoother graphics. Smooth game play like combat, combat indicators and animations. Better role immersion, like, I would love to be able to be able to lock pick my way into the houses of the city NPC's and have a chance to steal something if I wanted, or be able to go to the temple and pick up a escort job as a paladin. Have the different classes have unique abilities, spells and combat. More interaction with the environment like have all the buildings in a city able to be opened and explored, have a calendar where on certain holidays you can buy daggers for cheaper or potions. If there is a crate on the ground be able to smash it with nothing in it or loot. carry a tankard to refill it when you see a barrel. Exploring is a great past time especially for classes like rangers and druids. I loved the way old EQ had Kithicor Forest where at night the mobs changed into undead and night elves.  This are just some of the things I would like to eventually see in Pantheon. Also I loved the fact that if a mob possessed an unusual item you saw it using it, graphic and all. I also loved have the terrain as a part of the strategy when fighting. Clerics can cast their spells out of line of sight etc.
    Just remember, No matter where you go...there you are!
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Scorchien said:
    Im expecting 35% EQ and 65% Vanguard ............... Should be great
    Well, thats pretty optimistic ... I see very little Vanguard in Pantheon.

Its a rather simple skill system with only eight(?) active skills. Yes you can have much more skills but you can only swap them around outside of combat. In Vanguard I had like 30-40 skills on a maxlevel character, and I could use them all at any point in time. A fixed, low number of skills, thats much more EverQuest than Vanguard.

The unique classes of Vanguard (Disciple, Blood Mage) are gone and might never return. The dark knight class is specifically evil again, just like in EverQuest. In Vanguard this class was neutral, just like all other class in Vanguard. These stupid arbritary class limits are back ... granted they've been in early Vanguard too and at least for Gnomes they're now a bit justified, since Gnomes are artificial constructs in Pantheon and cannot do certain things. Still why cant I be an elven Paladin ? In Vanguard, I could be an elven Paladin from the very start. I know because I made one when the game started, I just never really got to play her, she was only something like level 30 when the game ended. Here in Pantheon I finally wanted to make her my main - but now its not allowed. So what exactly is so super un-paladin about Elves ? I'm not interested in playing a human or dwarven Paladin ... I never play humans or dwarves, thats just not my thing.

Its not a seamless world and obviously its much smaller, though admittedly thats something I can perfectly tolerate. As I can tolerate not having diplomacy. And thank god for no fishing.

So where is anything specific to Vanguard in Pantheon ? Even on the forums it seems to me theres something like 10 to 20 fans of EverQuest compared to one fan of Vanguard.