Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gold Rush Or Fools Gold? - Wild West Online Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageGold Rush Or Fools Gold? - Wild West Online Review - MMORPG.com

Wild West Online entered Early Access back in November 2017, and leading up to that point, the hype train had hit full speed. I admit I was pretty excited about a non-fantasy themed MMO, and contemplated buying into the EA. Fortunately, I rarely buy into an EA game sight unseen, and it only took a few minutes of gameplay footage to realize I had dodged a bullet.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Octagon7711

Comments

• blix2006blix2006 Member UncommonPosts: 415
    edited May 2018
    they pushed this out the door to cash in before red dead 2 puts it in its grave in a few months...they knew this is nowhere near playable yet..
    Octagon7711JamesGoblinSabracPhrySamhaelinfomatzTacticalZombeh
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Maybe invisible animals are a feature? *wink* After all, what other game has them?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited May 2018
    Does sound like it's been rushed out the door and will a take few years to get it to where it should have been at launch.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    With the time it takes to acquire a PHD. I'm pretty read up on shitty business practice and how to avoid obvious cash grabs. Boy.. Sure am glad I did my homework. /end_sarcasm
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    After watching the Jim Sterling video on this game all my doubts were confirmed. I didn't realize there was almost nothing to do in the game at all. That's insane. They pushed it out as a final product with almost 0 to do, and a ton of bugs. Gross.
    JamesGoblinPhrySamhaelinfomatz
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    They obviously didn't watch enough Rifleman and Gunsmoke!
    Octagon7711SBFordZoeMcCloskey
  • genova2809genova2809 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    it's a mirage in desert :D you see it far away but when you come close there is nothing but sand :D
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Also think about it. If your dream is to roll a grizzled old dude and live out your virtual life mumbling to yourself as a complete recluse, away from every living thing, THIS IS YOUR GAME!
    infomatz

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    You should be able to become a deputy or marshal in this game and actually hunt down the bad guys who are killing the hard working good guys.  A court system would be nice also.  Perhaps your gang could bust you out of jail before the hanging.  So much potential here.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    You should be able to become a deputy or marshal in this game and actually hunt down the bad guys who are killing the hard working good guys.  A court system would be nice also.  Perhaps your gang could bust you out of jail before the hanging.  So much potential here.
    I think they mentioned that system was supposed to be on the way,  I played it in the alpha test, it was not good then, sounds like it's become playable but only just. It sorely needs PvE. Maybe if the game keeps going, there might be something good there in a few years, if red dead doesn't kill it. 
    Kyleran

• SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Well, this was probably their only chance to show something and they blew it away, fans of this game could argue that the game could improve in the near future but as somebody else already mentioned Red Dead Redemption 2 is on the horizon and that will almost definitely will kill this game, heck several other games coming this year delayed their releases to next year to avoid being caught in a similar date of RD2.

On a side note, thanks for the review.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Another one of the fine examples of Early Access/crowdfunding titles bringing gamers exactly what they want!  Fuck publishers!  Yea.
    PhryKyleranSamhaelStjerneodd

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yeah sadly i had this on my radar for awhile but the closer it got to being a game,i soon realized it was not that good.
    We have a saying we use a lot at work..."looks good on paper  and in the office but in reality,not so good".

The problem as i see it is not the genres not the ideas it is that developers are looking for ways to develop games as cheap as possible and as fast as possible,it is never about, "hey let's make a really good game we can be proud of".

The industry is so flooded with game now it is to the point all the bad games can fly under the radar,hidden behind a wall of thousands of releases every year.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    How is it they are trying to sell this for the same price point as Vermintide 2?
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    They pushed it out the door because sites will post stuff about games, you have people that will hype the game because its western and you have people with more money than sense that supports it.

The game was linked to Sergey Titov, it was going to be garbage. 
    Kyleran
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I watched a twitch streamer playing this game.
    "I feel this game has a lot of potential!"

Meanwhile she was questing in the barren land.
    'Kill 5 XXX for their pelts.'
    'Gather 5 XXX plants for medical ingredients.'

Oh the excitement...
    [Deleted User]
    Harbinger of Fools
  • HytekHytek Member UncommonPosts: 153

Shaigh said:

The game was linked to Sergey Titov, it was going to be garbage. 

This.

Come on, people. No one in their right minds could have thought this was going to become a good game when it has its origins in The War Z/Infestation scam of a game.
    Kyleran

I have found in my lifetime, that the beauty of hating stupid people is, that it crosses all racial boundaries.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Hey, 1999 called... it wants its game back.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2018
    Rhoklaw said:
    Another one of the fine examples of Early Access/crowdfunding titles bringing gamers exactly what they want!  Fuck publishers!  Yea.
    Anyone can open up a kickstarter and make claims of an actual product. The problem with crowdfunding is they aren't held accountable. However, while publishers make developing companies accountable, they also throw so many rules and restrictions at them, that we end up with games like F2P PvP with P2W cash shops and oh my, those are so popular now huh?

Publishers NEVER care about gamers. At least with crowdfunding, we have a chance at getting a game, made by gamers for gamers.
    Those pubs also released Witcher 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and every other one of the best games you ever remember playing, most likely.

Crowdfunding devs don't care about you, either.  It's a job.  This idea that crowdfunding is the domain of the artist is wishful thinking, not in line with the reality of what we've seen come of it so far.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    Kyleran

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I have lost all interest when I learned it is PVP-centric. Even if not, I can hardly remember from past any game to receive so many and so systematic failure reviews. But I'm sure there will be players that will enjoy in full. Question is if they will be enough for game to make money. At the end it is all about money, you can't live and buy food from enthusiasm.