Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny 2 - Warmind Review - Mind Unblown - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageDestiny 2 - Warmind Review - Mind Unblown - MMORPG.com

If there was ever a list of games that failed to meet expectations, Destiny 2 would be somewhere near the top. After dining out on the Halo series for much of the last decade, Bungie’s current magnum opus seems to redefine the meaning of disappointment. Its latest example, Destiny 2’s Warmind expansion, is a perfect example of how little twenty bucks gets you from an alleged top-tier studio.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    I still regret buying this garbage and I didn't even use real money, but spent 1.6 mil gold cause I had plenty and I wasn't really playing WoW that much at that time...
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    So sad because this game had so much potential when Destiny released and then Destiny 2 was basically a DLC or addon instead of a new game..
    JeffSpicoliAeanderGazimoffShadowStyleBonelesslightCryolitycal
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited May 2018
    Honestly, Destiny 2 shouldn't have been a separate game. They should have kept building upon Destiny 1 with expansions that bring more content, lore, story, social features, weapons, and classes. 

Destiny should have had a 10 year plan. As in Destiny the game. Not Destiny as this disgraced joke of a franchise that wipes the board every few years and regresses in quality and quantity of content even when compared to Destiny 1's lukewarm beginnings.
    ShadowStyleBJeroKaneonelesslightBillMurphyGazimoffRemyVorender
  • mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Definitely an improvement over CoO, which isn't terribly hard, but it was still painfully underwhelming for me. At this point I'm sadly probably done with Destiny after my short stint with the sequel as a PC player. I simply have zero trust or faith in Bungie as a developer anymore, especially given that they now have two support studios helping with development (Vicarious Visions apparently did a ton of work on Warmind) and both the scope/pace of content and the scope/pace of the updates to fix their broken game remain painfully slow, with tons of major issues (like the dogshit stats, the lack of depth to any trees, meaningful social features etc.) not even acknowledged by Bungie, much less on their list of things they want to fix by the time they want everyone to buy the fall expansion.

I've only watched Bungie over the years but was confident that they wouldn't shit the bed with Destiny 2, and that they'd turn things around quickly when they eventually started to acknowledge that they made some mistakes (which is still like pulling teeth with them), but by now they've thoroughly dragged the studio reputation through the mud with me. This isn't the same Bungie that delivered amazing Halo games. This isn't the same Bungie that most would argue deserves inclusion in "best developers" lists. I don't know what this Bungie is, but it's sure been incredibly disappointing to me. The Destiny franchise deserves better.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Veni, Vidi, Vici, and moved on ;)
    Gazimoff

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    mnemic666 said:
    Definitely an improvement over CoO, which isn't terribly hard, but it was still painfully underwhelming for me. At this point I'm sadly probably done with Destiny after my short stint with the sequel as a PC player. I simply have zero trust or faith in Bungie as a developer anymore, especially given that they now have two support studios helping with development (Vicarious Visions apparently did a ton of work on Warmind) and both the scope/pace of content and the scope/pace of the updates to fix their broken game remain painfully slow, with tons of major issues (like the dogshit stats, the lack of depth to any trees, meaningful social features etc.) not even acknowledged by Bungie, much less on their list of things they want to fix by the time they want everyone to buy the fall expansion.

I've only watched Bungie over the years but was confident that they wouldn't shit the bed with Destiny 2, and that they'd turn things around quickly when they eventually started to acknowledge that they made some mistakes (which is still like pulling teeth with them), but by now they've thoroughly dragged the studio reputation through the mud with me. This isn't the same Bungie that delivered amazing Halo games. This isn't the same Bungie that most would argue deserves inclusion in "best developers" lists. I don't know what this Bungie is, but it's sure been incredibly disappointing to me. The Destiny franchise deserves better.
    I don't know if this is as much on Bungie as it is Activision. I want to know what the relationship is like between the two, as obviously something changed between when they were owned by Microsoft and when they went into the 10 year publishing deal with Activision. The wikipedia page states that they own their game but it sure seems weird that with the wild success of the first Destiny, the second one came out with Loot Boxes incredibly similar to all of the other Activision games. And that instead of patches that were improving the game we originally got a bunch of patches for cash shop related things. And any time the cash shop is brought up in a negative light Bungie always magically avoids those questions. 

Who knows, maybe Activision has no say, and it's actually the higher ups at Bungie that have no idea how to run a game. But at the same time, you see how upset the actual devs are that the game isn't what they want it to be, and they always apologize. Which sucks because you know they want to make something special, but whoever is controlling it is trying to monetize the hell out of everything. 

Destiny 2 shouldn't have existed, it should have been an expansion. 

That doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it. I actually own two copies, one on PS4 and one on PC and play both almost daily, but it's definitely not the same feeling I had towards the first one.  
  • enesisxlr8enesisxlr8 Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Perfectly said! 2 Days ago I noticed I had brought the exp pass and decided to complete the expansions. First one took me from lvl 20-24ish and then I started Warmind and took me to lvl 26 ( which I had to get 28 to continue the story mission) Total time was approx 5 hours.. the last story mission in Warwind looked good but was to easy... Now sitting on 338 and see no point to grind further... as I feel no stronger then when I was 20!..
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Why are they so shit with these mini expansions? Just.. why so shit? They've got the money. They've got the resources. They've got the audience. Why is it so shit? There's no excuse.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • enesisxlr8enesisxlr8 Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Why are they so shit with these mini expansions? Just.. why so shit? They've got the money. They've got the resources. They've got the audience. Why is it so shit? There's no excuse.
    Believe these where all completed when the game was sold and they are just cashing in on what is allrdy completed.... so since the release they haven't really gotten up to much other then bug fixes, lies to the community and maybe something new in the works? another exp? 

Still don't think they have even made all the changes they where talking about to keep the community together... 

Moving on, is just to depressing..
    From what I've heard, the Destiny engine is the problem. It's an unworkable garbage pile that takes hours to load before any work can be done. To work on it, they basically have to preload it on computers overnight. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The worst part is not only is it mediocre, but they had the audacity to charge $20 for it, at this point they should be trying to fix the game so that people actually want to play it rather than engaging in yet more cash grab tactics, $20, so not worth it. :o
  • furkatfurkat Member UncommonPosts: 3
    edited May 2018
    All the hate is real... I've been playing Warmind and I am enjoying it so far. Looking forward to the September update to come. Honestly, I highly doubt this DLC will last until that time and a few updates in between will need to cover the gap. My clan is taking it slow, but also not grinding through the content and it makes the new experience much more playable. This is now week 3 and the RNG gods haven't made any of us 385 capped yet but are close.
  • RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    They have my money from Destiny and the DLC's. They will not get anymore from me as the first round was disappointing and it looks like the 2nd round is just as bad.
  • CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    This is how my foray into Destiny ends. I don't regret buying it, because it was "free" money from my WoW gold, but even if I spent my money, I think I got enough entertainment from 90USD. However, I would have rather spend those 90USD on something else for sure. 90USD is a top of the line Noctua cooler, for example. 90USD and you can buy a 32GB Optane stick and use it to accelerate your HDD etc.
    All in all, Destiny 2 was half-decent value, but not a lot of it.
    The game was indeed very promising, in my first month with it I was envisioning it as my MMO of choice, but after I discovered everyone gets the best gear by just doing milestones all fell apart.

I think Destiny 2 can be described best by this: you can do PvP for 6 days, 12hrs/day, and the game will reward you with a big pile of nothing. This is how sad it feels to play Destiny 2 after you get to the "it's milestones and cya next week" phase.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    What a steaming pile of wasted time D2 is. This will have been the last Bungie game I ever buy.
    DaRedHawk

Joined - July 2004

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    To be honest, nothing Destiny 1 or 2 did was ground-breaking.  It was a polished, if uninspired, effort by Bungie to convert their Halo magic into a more easily monetized online game.

The franchise has had solid gunplay, it's pretty, and it has enjoyed a drought of genre competitors on the new consoles.  Beyond that, it does not push any boundaries or reinvent anything, really.

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225

Aeander said:

From what I've heard, the Destiny engine is the problem. It's an unworkable garbage pile that takes hours to load before any work can be done. To work on it, they basically have to preload it on computers overnight. 

Thing is, this excuse was trotted out during Destiny 1 as well. They've had *years* to get the tools fixed, the process sorted, or the workstations bought that can handle this kind of load. And it's not like they've had a game engine forced on them either - it's a situation that the studio itself created.

I may have had sympathy a few years back. I have zero sympathy now.
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
    edited May 2018
    Gazimoff said:

Aeander said:

Thing is, this excuse was trotted out during Destiny 1 as well. They've had *years* to get the tools fixed, the process sorted, or the workstations bought that can handle this kind of load. And it's not like they've had a game engine forced on them either - it's a situation that the studio itself created.

I may have had sympathy a few years back. I have zero sympathy now.
    I never implied otherwise. Fuck them.
    Gazimoff