Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of Decay 2 Review - Everything Old is New Again - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageState of Decay 2 Review - Everything Old is New Again - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

Way back in 2013 the then new game developer company, Undead Labs, produced its first game for the Xbox 360 with a port to PC later, State of Decay. While at times buggy, it was a great game that delved into the zombie survival genre and made its mark. Now we have State of Decay 2, a sequel that promises to do more than the original and quite possibly scratch that zombie itch. This is our State of Decay 2 review.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Only played a couple of hours and its been pretty smooth so far. This game would be awesome with mod support.
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    I am really surprised this didn't come to Steam, most of the complaints I have seen about the game in the Microsoft store are dealing with the Store itself and not the game..
    Scorchien
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

Elvoc said:

I am really surprised this didn't come to Steam, most of the complaints I have seen about the game in the Microsoft store are dealing with the Store itself and not the game..

the game is tied to XBOX Play Anywhere. Buy the game once and you can play it on your XBOX as well on your PC. Consider it a XBOX exclusive.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    No Steam .. No Buy
    SBFordVrika
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Scorchien said:
    No Steam .. No Buy
    I hate the MS Store with a passion. Until it's on Steam, I have only passing interest.
    ScorchiencheyaneElvocScarranchocolate42069Denambren

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    SBFord said:
    Scorchien said:
    No Steam .. No Buy
    I hate the MS Store with a passion. Until it's on Steam, I have only passing interest.
    I cant stand the Microsoft store , want nothing to do with it
    cheyanechocolate42069
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Scorchien said:
    SBFord said:
    Scorchien said:
    No Steam .. No Buy
    I cant stand the Microsoft store , want nothing to do with it
    I really enjoyed the 1st one and looked forward to playing the sequel, until I found out it wasn't going to be for sale on Steam. I want all my games in one place. Not about to start a new digital game library account on the XBox store. 
    Scorchienchocolate42069
    --------------------------------------------
  • Thawolf1Thawolf1 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I have been having issues with the store since the last update but it didn't stop me from downloading and streaming the game for 5 hours so far haha. One of the best games I have played this year.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    SBFord said:
    Scorchien said:
    No Steam .. No Buy
    I haven't use the MS Store but I also don't have Win 10.  While I want to play State of Decay 2 it will have to wait until either someone figures out how to run it on Win 7 or I assemble a new system with Win 10.
    Fuffenstein
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    Other than the rabid fanboyism for steam, what exactly is wrong with the Microsoft store? Seems like they are at least trying with Xbox/PC cross over purchasing. Also, they are pretty good with refunds if you regret a purchase.

Is there a reason I'm missing why I should hate a store simply because it's not Steam?
    MikehaFuffenstein
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    edited May 2018
    Other than the rabid fanboyism for steam, what exactly is wrong with the Microsoft store? Seems like they are at least trying with Xbox/PC cross over purchasing. Also, they are pretty good with refunds if you regret a purchase.

Is there a reason I'm missing why I should hate a store simply because it's not Steam?
    I'm not sure it's a fanboyism to desire your library of games to be in one place, more a practicality. My community of friends are on Steam, my games are on Steam, it's where I go to play games with those friends and I'm not using multiple services. I can live without it.

Edit: As an aside, you can find on the official SoD2 FAQ, in the platform section, that there will be more information regarding Steam some time in the future. Right here.
    Cyber_wasteland

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited May 2018
    I have no issue with spreading my games across multiple launch platforms so assuming that, just because someone doesn't care for the MS Store means they're a fanboy of Steam is reaching. I have GoG, Steam, Blizzard, Origin and more. I don't like the MS Store interface, experience, usability or much else about it at all. Just no. 
    Elvoc

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• jason523jason523 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    edited May 2018
    There was a video not long ago with a developer playing the game and an error popped up that was exclusive to Steam. Good bet that it will eventually hit Steam.
    Edit: It was Pax East and the demo on display popped up with a Steam error: http://www.ibtimes.com/state-decay-2-demo-error-suggests-game-coming-steam-2672756
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited May 2018
    I bought their first game on steam like others have said no steam no buy.
  • Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    I really would just prefer to have all my games in one place. I have an origin account with a few games but I hate having a crap ton of launchers installed, Dead space 3 is only on origin so my dead space series ends at 2 for me.

Hopefully this comes to steam at some point the first one was awesome so would love to see how this one is.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Sorry, want to buy on steam
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited May 2018
    The official FAQ https://www.stateofdecay.com/faq/ says essentially nothing about what system requirements are needed for the game.  The only thing it says is you need Win 10 XBox Play Anywhere accessibility to play with XBox players.

Researching further online says  it uses the UE 4 engine and is a DX11 compatible game.  There is nothing there to prevent State of Decay 2 from running on a Win 7 system.   It's just a matter of how hard MS wants to squeeze the Win 10 crowd before releasing it on older OSes without the XBox Play Anywhere lock.

The biggest issue with older OS versions may be whether Microsoft will  allow a non-Xbox multiplayer portion.

The reason I keep saying Microsoft instead of Undead Labs is because MS owns the IP.  Undead Labs does not own it.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Avast ya! Microsoft store means hornswaggling the game from... a certain pirate themed site set in a lovely bay.
    NoxiasLawlmonsterDenambren
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    I like the game but I can not play multiplayer. It seems that something has happened where Xbox Live for Windows no longer allows me to connect to multiplayer servers. It was working fine with Sea of Thieves but now both games will not allow multiplay. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue?

Let's party like it is 1863!

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    edited May 2018

Avast ya! Microsoft store means hornswaggling the game from... a certain pirate themed site set in a lovely bay.

There we go. People like this make the "no steam, no purchase" argument a complete sham - just because you want your games in one place doesn't give you the right to steal it, even if you're argument against pirating is "uhh I just wanna try the game first", which is just another load of baloney.

If you like the game, and you want to see more quality games, buy it, or wait for a sale.

If you want it on steam, then don't buy it yet, it'll most likely come to steam- stealing it just makes you a complete douche.

Speaking of which, I guess the MMORPG.com mods are cool with people talking about pirating games? Good to know.
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    edited May 2018
    The MS store on Xbox is so much better than the Win 10 version, dunno why they don't use that version on PC using a keyboard and mouse.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

There we go. People like this make the "no steam, no purchase" argument a complete sham - just because you want your games in one place doesn't give you the right to steal it, even if you're argument against pirating is "uhh I just wanna try the game first", which is just another load of baloney.

If you like the game, and you want to see more quality games, buy it, or wait for a sale.

If you want it on steam, then don't buy it yet, it'll most likely come to steam- stealing it just makes you a complete douche.

Speaking of which, I guess the MMORPG.com mods are cool with people talking about pirating games? Good to know.
    lol. Hey buddy, I haven't gone around telling you what to do.

First, I was only joking really.. I thought that obvious with how silly the post is. Not even sure if I'm interested in this game in the first place. But I may try get it for free in the future, but I may buy it.. especially if a friend wants to play multiplayer. Second, many people who pirate 'some' games will have probably put more money into the gaming industry than you have.

If it comes to Steam, I may buy it then for the multiplayer then.

You gotta understand, there's a large community of people who are getting fed up all these different game platforms.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Much of the issue is Microsoft using their other products to force-push people to their store. Many of us feel that it's not good enough or cheap enough to compete on its own, but rather that we have to use it for products that Microsoft arranges to be sold only there.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    edited May 2018
    Not impressed in the slightest with the game. Played it all day and I won't play it again.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"