Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just had my first HDD drive fail in about 30 years of PC usage.

GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
edited May 2018 in Hardware
My first system was a 386-33MHz I bought for about $1300,  Since then I've assembled all of my own systems.  I've retired HDDs because they were too slow or too small. 

Today my 12 year old WD Black 500GB drive has started to have unreadable file records.  Every time I've run CHKDSK the number of unreadable records has increased.  It started with about 10 failures and is now up to 180 bad file records.  I won't lose anything important other than the time it takes to re-download any game installs that have been corrupted.

Time to look for a new drive.  I will probably get a Crucial MX500 1 TB to replace it with.

This all started with the EA Origin app crashing and locking up.  I've since resolved that issue and it appears that I will lose access to a couple of EA games on that drive until I reinstall them.  Looks like I've also lost my Gears of War install.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
Ridelynn

Comments

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    I feel for you. We had to do the same on my wife’s rig earlier in the month, when her Seagate drive started making horrible grinding noises. Luckily the OS was on an SSD and everything important was backed up on the NAS, so it was no huge problem. 

Still, I agree, it’s the first time in a very long while that I’ve had a drive fail on me. 
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I suggest grc.com.  The guy there has a repair disk program that works really well.  It's called Spinrite.  
    https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Once they start throwing bad sectors like that it's a ticking time bomb. Usually because a flake of material internally has gotten loose, and now it's just wrecking havoc over the platters.
    Grunty
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited May 2018
    Ridelynn said:
    Once they start throwing bad sectors like that it's a ticking time bomb. Usually because a flake of material internally has gotten loose, and now it's just wrecking havoc over the platters.
    Good to know. It still essentially works but I'm going to power it down until I can copy what's still viable and replace the drive.  So far all of the bad records are pretty much sequential in order. 
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams