Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next Nvidia line possibly coming in July.

OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
No official name yet, probably won't know until June.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-turing-faq,37067.html

I expect we will see third-party cards in Sept/Oct timeframe.  Looks like an 1170 or whatever it is called will be about the same performance as a 1080.  So we are probably looking at end of the year, start of next year for volume production.

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    holly cow, does that mean 1060s will go down in price......or i mean go up in price....or actually.....i'm confused, cause nothing makes sense anymore with the pricing of video cards. 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited May 2018
    Ozmodan said:

I expect we will see third-party cards in Sept/Oct timeframe.  Looks like an 1170 or whatever it is called will be about the same performance as a 1080.  So we are probably looking at end of the year, start of next year for volume production.
    Tom's hardware expects the third-party cards in Aug/Sept, and I'm more inclined to trust them.

Also volume production starts before new cards go to retail, not 4-6 months after going retail.
    AmazingAvery

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I gave up on having to have the best graphics card years ago....That's one gear treadmill I don't need.
    francis_baudMrMelGibsonMikeharojoArcueid
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited May 2018
    Time frame is about right for new cards from nVidia and AMD. AMDs new mid-range cards are now appearing in benchmarks as well. Ethereum's boom is over, but we still have a shortage of DRAM, expect prices to remain high this year.
    Ozmodan
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I gave up on having to have the best graphics card years ago....That's one gear treadmill I don't need.
    Agreed, I'm more than happy with my 1070.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    #1 - Tom's source is WCCTech, so...

#2 - even if it's true... Announcement in July, "Available" August/September, actual available supply at anything close to MSRP in December (just like Maxwell, and Pascal, and Kepler)... just in time for the Ti edition to release

#3 - good odds on it being Pascal refresh, not Volta

#4 - Miners will buy all available inventory for the foreseeable future anyway
    [Deleted User]
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    holly cow, does that mean 1060s will go down in price......or i mean go up in price....or actually.....i'm confused, cause nothing makes sense anymore with the pricing of video cards. 
    Couple of things:

When a new generation is announced, manufacturers generally stop making the previous generation. For a short while retailers will have some good deals as they try to clear inventory and shelf space for the new cards. That won't last long though, and after that inventory sale, prices will go through the roof on New-In-The-Box units. Don't confuse the inventory clearance that happens with every generation as a permanent price reduction.

Now, that inventory clearance ... if I'm reading the current situation correctly, there isn't exactly a lot of inventory out there just sitting on shelves right now because of the mining situation. So I wouldn't count on that being terribly strong.

Used market, however, will probably be strong. A lot of gamers and miners looking to upgrade will try to offload their existing cards, if you don't mind them being used. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If this WCCFtech article is the source:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1180-custom-cards-by-august-september/

They're claiming that the GPUs will start sampling on June 15.  That is not consistent with a hard retail launch coming only a month later.

I don't see Nvidia rushing their next generation to market.  Right now, for graphics purposes, they're ahead of AMD.  When you're ahead, you want customers to buy now, and you absolutely don't want to give them any reason to hold off.  If they wait, you might not still be ahead by the time they buy.  As such, I'd expect Nvidia's next generation of consumer GPUs to be a hard launch, at least to the extent that such a thing is possible amid the current mining craze.

Unless, of course, AMD releases new GPUs that eliminate Nvidia's current efficiency advantage.  In that case, Nvidia would be far more willing to do a soft launch or even a paper launch, akin to what they did with the GeForce GTX 480 or GTX 680, when they had previously been way behind AMD.

Ordinarily I'd say, if AMD were going to catch up and take the lead imminently, we'd probably already hear AMD making noise about their next generation.  But right now, when they can sell everything they make to miners anyway, what's the rush?
    edited May 2018
    Ridelynn said:
    #1 - Tom's source is WCCTech, so...
    No, Tom's source for their dates is "industry sources who spoke with Tom's Hardware Germany's Igor Wallossek on condition of anonymity"

Currently there aren't any credible sources for specs, those are taken from WCCFTech.
    AmazingAvery

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Generally the 80 is like the old titan.  The 70 is the old 80.  The 60 is the old 70.  The old 60 is an oddball because the 50 isn't a gaming card really, so you have a gap.  I wouldn't expect much in the way of a price drop for the 60s.  The only thing you have going for you is that you can't sli 1060s so people won't be buying a second one.
    For about the last year or so, prices on consumer GPUs have been driven more by Ethereum mining than by games.  Miners have been willing to buy arbitrarily many cards if the price was right, and as such, have bid up prices to wherever they need to be to make the cards no longer profitable for mining.
  • IceDarkIceDark Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Quizzical said:
    For about the last year or so, prices on consumer GPUs have been driven more by Ethereum mining than by games.  Miners have been willing to buy arbitrarily many cards if the price was right, and as such, have bid up prices to wherever they need to be to make the cards no longer profitable for mining.
    I don't really buy this with miners driving the..prices for GPUs. I mean, how many miners do you know ? I might know one , and that is a "I might".

According to Steam HW Survey , 15% from their users, are using GTX 1060 ( which is a pretty decent card for mining ) as their GPU. That indeed, you can call "someone" who is driving the prices ( and that's Steam users only - keep that in mind ) , and not some .. miners, which are a very small % in this equation.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

The Ice is dark and full of terror.
    edited May 2018
    IceDark said:
    Quizzical said:
    I don't really buy this with miners driving the..prices for GPUs. I mean, how many miners do you know ? I might know one , and that is a "I might".

According to Steam HW Survey , 15% from their users, are using GTX 1060 ( which is a pretty decent card for mining ) as their GPU. That indeed, you can call "someone" who is driving the prices ( and that's Steam users only - keep that in mind ) , and not some .. miners, which are a very small % in this equation.

A professional company specialized in mining could buy ten thousand cards to their server room. It's not so much about the number of miners, it's about the number of cards some of the big miners are buying.

EDIT: Total hashrate of Ethereum network is at the moment 270 000 000 MH/s. A RX 580 could give you maybe 30 MH/s if you're lucky. That's 9 million GPUs doing Ethereum mining, assuming that average GPU has speed 30 MH/s.
    Post edited by Vrika on
    Quizzical[Deleted User]

IceDark said:
    Quizzical said:

Ethereum alone currently has a market capitalization of about $70 billion.  That might be more than the original retail sale price of all of the consumer GPUs ever built in all of history.  A gamer might buy one GPU, then buy another to replace it a few years later.  A miner might buy hundreds or thousands of GPUs, and then do it again a month later.

Why would miners do that?  Suppose that for every $200 GPU you buy, you expect to make $100/month in mining profit for the near future, and probably $600 or so over the course of the next year.   How many of them do you want to buy?  The correct answer here is, as many as you possibly can.  So that's what miners did.  If there's 100 in stock, buy them all.  If there's 1000 in stock, buy them all.  If there's 10000 in stock, buy them all.  If you can, try to cut deals with board partners to buy them all even before they get sent to a retailer.

That won't show up on Steam.  Indeed, the reason why a ton of GTX 1060s show up on Steam but Radeon RX 470/480/570/580 and Radeon RX Vega anything commonly don't (combined, less than 10% as much as a GTX 1060) is precisely because of mining.  For Ethereum mining, a Radeon RX 570 is superior to a GeForce GTX 1080.  If they're for sale for the same price, the miner will buy the RX 570 and leave the GTX 1080 alone.

That means that if mid-range to high end Radeon cards are anywhere near MSRP, the miners buy them up and they're quickly out of stock.  That seems to be subsiding now, but it's been the case pretty solidly for about the last year.  Retailers figured that out and hiked prices on the Radeon cards that the miners wanted until they could at least keep a handful of them in stock.  This causes prices on the Radeon cards to jump, far more so than for GeForce cards.

If you're a gamer and see that, for the price of a Radeon RX 570, you could get a GeForce GTX 1080, or you could get a GeForce GTX 1060 for 60% of that price, which one are you going to buy?  Not many people bought mid-range to high-end Radeon cards in the last year for gaming, precisely because the prices were driven by mining.  That's what you're seeing on Steam.

Bitmain, the largest producer of mining ASICs, didn't even exist five years ago.  Today, they have more revenue than AMD or Nvidia.  Mining ASICs (primarily but not exclusively for Bitcoin) is all they do.
    [Deleted User]
  • IceDarkIceDark Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Vrika said:
    IceDark said:
    Quizzical said:

A professional company specialized in mining could buy ten thousand cards to their server room. It's not so much about the number of miners, it's about the number of cards some of the big miners are buying.

EDIT: Total hashrate of Ethereum network is at the moment 270 000 000 MH/s. A RX 580 could give you maybe 30 MH/s if you're lucky. That's 9 million GPUs doing Ethereum mining, assuming that average GPU has speed 30 MH/s.
    Well , that's says a lot about your knowledge.  Clearly every single one is using a GPU to mine, because .. one seems to never heard of CPU - Private Networks , which is huge btw. 

The Ice is dark and full of terror.
    IceDark said:
    Vrika said:
    IceDark said:
    Quizzical said:

Well , that's says a lot about your knowledge.  Clearly every single one is using a GPU to mine, because .. one seems to never heard of CPU - Private Networks , which is huge btw. 

I took Ethereum's total hashrate from here:
      https://etherscan.io/chart/hashrate

How could a private network mine so that they'd get counted into this? I thought they were called private because they're separate from the Ethereum cryptocurrency.

IceDark said:
    Vrika said:
    IceDark said:
    Quizzical said:

While you can mine Ethereum on a CPU, it's slower than using a GPU by about a factor of 10.  If, for a given price, you can get hardware with some level of performance, or you can get other hardware with only 1/10 the level of performance, which do you expect miners to buy?  Keep in mind that they're trying to make a profit.