Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feel I need to upgrade! Yes? No?

B14cKs0LB14cKs0L Member UncommonPosts: 152
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost)
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6Gig
RAM: DDR3 8gig Dram 800.7mhz
MB: Z77X-D3H
SSD1
SSD2
SSD3

Thoughts?

Where would you spend the money?

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Is anything in particular bothering you about it now, or just getting the itch to upgrade?

I totally understand both ways. For gaming, at least, not going to see a lot better than what you already got though.
    [Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Why do you feel like you need to upgrade?  If you want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, then don't.  If there's some particular reason why your computer isn't good enough anymore, then that often points to what you should upgrade.
    [Deleted User]
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Doesn't seem like a terrible build at all.

My father builds PCs and many people still want 1060s today.

When you decide to upgrade the CPU, you'll be buying a motherboard too - which might mean RAM as well. That will be a substantial upgrade, so I only do those when there is a big leap in technology.

Others will know better, but I've heard new CPUs are coming later this year. Apparently those won't have the meltdown exploit, which will mean better performance.

Are you struggling to run some specific games? Or simply looking to treat yourself?
    [Deleted User]
  • B14cKs0LB14cKs0L Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Well I feel I need to upgrade because I'm running a 3-4 year old MB,CPU and RAM.

The CPU don't bother me as much as the faster RAM and a good MB. But I can't upgrade RAM and MB without a CPU upgrade.

Hold tight? Or is there a option? If its less than a 25% upgrade then Ill hold...

Thanks!
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    It's less than 25%.
    [Deleted User]Ozmodan
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Only things i would look at upgrading are maybe the mem if you can get 16 gig  for a reasonable price, and maybe a vid card if you have any issues playing games you like.

If not, ride that system for another 1-2 years and get new system and either sell or make this one a backup.

But then again i do a new system every 5 years, unless something major dies, with a new upgraded vid card on year 2-3. Every 5 years seems to be about right, to me, for  main systems to be in need of a jump in specs to be worth it.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I know it's time to upgrade when I can't play a game because of the limitations of the pc.  Then it's time to upgrade, otherwise hold off and when you do need to upgrade you can get something even better then what's available now.  Unless you won the lottery or something, hold off.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    System seems solid enough to not worry about upgrading any of that hardware before we see what the next gen of GPUs and CPUs will be. If you're really itching and don't already have one, I can attest that a nice 120hz+ adaptive refresh monitor is an immediately noticeable improvement for gaming, as well, and if you go 4k, you'll be ready to take advantage on day one with your next build.