Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So whats the Catch?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Universal Seamlessness, with planets to explore, but wouldnt the leave a lot of emptiness in the game world? Has to be some limitations of travel as well I assume. So how does that all work? whats the catch?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    There's only one single-shard universe with potentially thousands (million?) of players playing in it so eventually I guess that players will build a lot of stuff on the planets and it won't feel empty (plus the different biomes with animals and plants).

Also the universe may be huge but only a portion of it will be accessible at the beginning, until players explore further.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited May 2018
    The usual catch, vs. very lofty ambitions very limited funding.
    SandmanjwRhoms

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Well people say they're tired of themeparks and want sandboxes. So pick up your shovel and go build.

Me? I want someone else to do all the work first :)
    KyleranPhaserlightOctagon7711Splooshii
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 526
    Universal Seamlessness, with planets to explore, but wouldnt the leave a lot of emptiness in the game world? Has to be some limitations of travel as well I assume. So how does that all work? whats the catch?
    Same catch as EVE, took EVE years to get to the point that they could have "large" battles. And they still turn into slide shows. So anyone really believe that a large number of players in same area will work? Skeptical to say the least.

Long as everyone spreads out, no problem.  But when does that really happen? People form groups, form trade hubs..until i see it in action...If it were easy as they claim, don't you think we would see more evidence of these magic servers on other games?

Plus sounds like a form of EVE safe areas, and the rest all full on PVP. Will have to see it in action to form any real opinions.
    Kyleranfrancis_baudPrepared
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    So when does it come out?
    DrunkWolf said:
    So when does it come out?
    Always the right question, rarely can you get a direct answer.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    The game looks great in concept, however until 6 months after launch I'll remember this cautionary tale: 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    A while ago one streamer went after DU and broke down their videos showing how some of them were staged and they hadn't really reached the levels shown in their vids.  He got into it with the Devs but that was awhile ago and I don't remember the end results.  But a search of DU on YT should show them.
    Phaserlight

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited May 2018
    A while ago one streamer went after DU and broke down their videos showing how some of them were staged and they hadn't really reached the levels shown in their vids.  He got into it with the Devs but that was awhile ago and I don't remember the end results.  But a search of DU on YT should show them.
    I think that this is the video you're referring to: 

If I remember correctly the developers then uploaded some gameplay footage in response to some of the accusations (like the orbital station not being as big as it seemed and not functional).
    Octagon7711
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I've seen some videos of them exploring an orbital station, a lot of graphics were placeholders, missing texture, etc., But it was a fully explorable station with a command center that had some functional parts (they use a snap-on design for functional things like control panels, star maps, etc.).  They were missing some functional parts, and a lot of functionality was limited currently.

It has potential, if all the functional bits fall into place.
    francis_baud

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    no catch atm once the nda drops you all will see
  • FuriantFuriant Member UncommonPosts: 30
    The catch is that player names must be unique.
  • CostaniusCostanius Member UncommonPosts: 231
    I'm a pre-alpha-tester and I'm looking forward to every new test-session.
    To learn about whats already in and working watch the official videos. Some tutorial videos show how You can build and lua-script already. I suggest reading the devblogs on their website as well.

-----------------------------------
    Life is too short to play bad games.

Costanius said:
    To learn about whats already in and working watch the official videos. Some tutorial videos show how You can build and lua-script already. I suggest reading the devblogs on their website as well.
    Is there any combat mechanics in the game yet, or is that still under NDA?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Even as a big open world fan zones have never bothered me, you have a small waiting time and then carry on, so what? Instances/layered zones are another matter and spoil the whole open world idea.

This is a building game, so interested to see where it goes, still have that hope that a building MMO can revolutionise the genre.
    Kyleran said:
    Costanius said:
    if they havent shown it in a video it most likly isnt in game yet
    Raxeon said:
    Kyleran said:
    Costanius said:
    Last time I looked none of the videos had it. All I could find was a few bad videos by 3rd parties theorizing how the combat might work.

Apparently there isn't a lot of information out there on whats being planned...or at least there wasn't back when I checked.

But boy,  do they love to show off what you can build and how you can build it.

I don't care, I hate crafting, show me how to blow it all up.

;)

Kyleran said:
    Raxeon said:
    Kyleran said:
    Costanius said:
    Last time I looked none of the videos had it. All I could find was a few bad videos by 3rd parties theorizing how the combat might work.

Apparently there isn't a lot of information out there on whats being planned...or at least there wasn't back when I checked.

i hihgly doubt they have much combat even done on there side maybe some prototype stuff 
  • ArtiomSigmaArtiomSigma Member CommonPosts: 2
    Kyleran said:
    Raxeon said:
    Kyleran said:
    Costanius said:

;)
    Combat hasn't been implemented yet, I think I remember hearing that they may not have it added in until beta comes out (keep in mind they are still in pre alpha)
  • KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    edited August 2018
    The catch is that at the moment is that all it seems to be is a great building game. But no one knows how the rest of the game will turn out so lots of people are going to be disappointed in the end regardless how the final design is. Limited resources and non healing game world makes me think of a giant sprawl, it seems to me that some of their ideas are a bit to hardcore for a fun game.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch