Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Has Raised Nearly $10M Through Sales of Mercy Charity Skin - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBlizzard Has Raised Nearly $10M Through Sales of Mercy Charity Skin - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

Overwatch News - The Overwatch Facebook page has been updated with the amazing news that sales of the Mercy charity skin has raised nearly $10M benefiting the Breast Cancer Research Center. All proceeds from the sale of each $15 skin will be sent to the BCRC and Blizzard is hoping to top the $10M mark.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    In before someone rushes in with a pitchfork claiming that "IT'S NOT ENOUGH BLIZZARD ARE GREEDY BASTICHES RAAAAAAAWR!!!"

I think it's fantastic and, as a survivor, it's <3
    laseritShelassaNephethLeiHngWei[Deleted User]frostymugPanther2103ZombieCatStoneRosesGaladournand 3 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
    I am astonished at the number, considering that Blizzard spoke of the $250k minimum donation originally
    SBFordLeiHngWei
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    It is crazy how one skin for charity could raise this much money. That’s awesome!
    SBFord
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I think it's great that they're donating 100% of the proceeds.

Props are well deserved.

It's when a company donates partial proceeds, especially if that partial amounts to a small % of the proceeds that I become cynical. 
    SBFord[Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    edited May 2018
    These greedy bas... just kidding. Good job as always.
    I really like that Blizzard always give 100% of the proceeds.

Btw a bit off-topic, but Call of Duty has been added to the launcher, hmmm :P

edited May 2018

Yep, it has been! BNet is the exclusive purveyor of COD:BO4 for PC. :)
    Xingbairong

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

SBFord said:

Yep, it has been! BNet is the exclusive purveyor of COD:BO4 for PC. :)

I can see WoW Token prices going up even more :(

I used to be excited for the WoW Tokens since I could get stimpacks and other stuff for HotS with them, but now... it feels like a waste to spend so much gold(close to 360k on EU) especially with the expansion coming soon.
    SBFord
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049
    Blizzard - good job.
    SBFord
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Aori said:

SBFord said:

In before someone rushes in with a pitchfork claiming that "IT'S NOT ENOUGH BLIZZARD ARE GREEDY BASTICHES RAAAAAAAWR!!!"

I gotchu

What about prostate cancer? why is it always charity for breast cancer!? Blizzard is just pandering!
    Because everyone Loves breasts .. Women love having them and Men love that they do .. the inner workings of the exiting orifice get much less attention in general
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Amazing
    SBFord
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    If they sold more skins there would be more money to donate???
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736

SBFord said:

I think it's fantastic and, as a survivor, it's <3 </div>

How can it ever be not enough if it is 100% of it that they give away? Sounds like you see an issue where there isn't. I'm fairly confident this is universally loved.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809

SBFord said:

How can it ever be not enough if it is 100% of it that they give away? Sounds like you see an issue where there isn't. I'm fairly confident this is universally loved.
    You should read the thread in which the skin was announced ....or any thread about Blizzard doing charitable work ever really. Its not universally loved.

Its just that the people that hate Blizzard cant reply to this because it would make them look like even more of an asshole.
    Nepheth
    edited May 2018
    SBFord said:

Didn't you know that no matter how much Blizzard raises and donates to charity, it's never enough because they're a multi-billion dollar corporation that is f*cking GREEDY! :D

As @Xiaoki said: Every thread about Blizz's charity work is blasted with garbage like that.

I love Blizzard's work, in this case, it's personal.
    Post edited by SBFord on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049
    Glad you survived @SBFord
    SBFord
    Chamber of Chains
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Grabbed mine because I mean, why not.  If they made a soldier 76 prostate cancer skin, I'd get it as well....
    SBFordOctagon7711
  • HydraelzHydraelz Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Blizzard  <3
    SBFord
  • MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178

laserit said:

Props are well deserved.

It's when a company donates partial proceeds, especially if that partial amounts to a small % of the proceeds that I become cynical. 

Blizzard might be but Sony is NOT....Apparently Sony is giving X to charity and keeping a few bucks for themselves on each sale of the Overwatch skin on PS4.

As @Nakeman said on Twitter..."Pretty disgraceful from Sony. Taking a 22% cut from each purchase of Overwatch’s Mercy Breast Cancer Research charity skin. 100% goes to charity on Xbox and PC. Games media needs to report this."

Still cannot find if that's something only happening in EU but still. When things read like this...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "They key word here is "Blizzard Entertainment will donate 100% of the proceeds that it receives from Sony PlayStation"
    Where as on Xbox it states
    "Blizzard Entertainment will donate 100% of the purchase price for your purchase of the Pink Mercy skin on Xbox "
    PSN it states it will donate 100% of what Sony gives them and on Xbox it states 100% of your purchase price.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makes it sound like Sony takes off the top and then passes on the rest as 'Charity" Maybe that's why it says 25 bucks to get the skin for me
    laserit

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    edited May 2018

Milander said:

laserit said:

Props are well deserved.

Blizzard might be but Sony is NOT....Apparently Sony is giving X to charity and keeping a few bucks for themselves on each sale of the Overwatch skin on PS4.

As @Nakeman said on Twitter..."Pretty disgraceful from Sony. Taking a 22% cut from each purchase of Overwatch’s Mercy Breast Cancer Research charity skin. 100% goes to charity on Xbox and PC. Games media needs to report this."

Still cannot find if that's something only happening in EU but still. When things read like this...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"They key word here is "Blizzard Entertainment will donate 100% of the proceeds that it receives from Sony PlayStation"

"Blizzard Entertainment will donate 100% of the purchase price for your purchase of the Pink Mercy skin on Xbox "

PSN it states it will donate 100% of what Sony gives them and on Xbox it states 100% of your purchase price.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makes it sound like Sony takes off the top and then passes on the rest as 'Charity" Maybe that's why it says 25 bucks to get the skin for me

This is why I never donate indirectly through product endorsement, which is what this is. Even if there is 100% donation it is still using charity as advertising. It always leads to skimming somewhere and keeps the door WIDE open for scammers.

The very reason why Breast Cancer research was chosen over other research was because of it's current marketability, exposure and industry (yes, it's an entire industry and it's highly criticized as being built around sustaining the money flow over actually researching targeted cures).

There is a whole lot of ignorance around the charity industry as it stands and even a fraction of the amount donated to targeted scientific research would yield better results. Sadly this takes far too much time and research for those who just want to feel good about themselves by donating around promotional media events.

You stay sassy!

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Tamanous said:

Milander said:

laserit said:

Props are well deserved.

This is why I never donate indirectly through product endorsement, which is what this is. Even if there is 100% donation it is still using charity as advertising. It always leads to skimming somewhere and keeps the door WIDE open for scammers.

The very reason why Breast Cancer research was chosen over other research was because of it's current marketability, exposure and industry (yes, it's an entire industry and it's highly criticized as being built around sustaining the money flow over actually researching targeted cures).

There is a whole lot of ignorance around the charity industry as it stands and even a fraction of the amount donated to targeted scientific research would yield better results. Sadly this takes far too much time and research for those who just want to feel good about themselves by donating around promotional media events.
    Meh

As far as charity as a business goes... Blizzard is in the video game business and 10 million pays for a lot of advertising and instead it going into cancer research.

We all know people taken from us by this disease. I don’t think there is anything nefarious about it in this instance.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• aCi11i3saCi11i3s Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Since less than 10% of this actually goes to research, then maybe they can find somewhere else to put it other than Planned Parenthood, of which, they’ve sent millions. No one thinks for themselves anymore and eat propaganda like candy
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Better to put up a sale and donate only 10% then to whine and donate absolutely nothing.

People these days..

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer