Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coming Back After Several Years, Halp!

BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
I have four classes from 45 to 64, Champion, Captain, Hunter, and a Loremaster.  Which class will have the easiest time soloing Mordor. I know these characters are way to low to worry about it at there level but Im taking that one that can do well in Mordor all the way.  I dont care about grouping at all.  My play time is chaotic.  I take care of my 80 year old mother so when I have to log I usually have to log fast.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited May 2018
    A bit difficult to halp due to the timing... they just started a pretty wide class revamp (with some nerfs on the side), which will get into the game in the near future. What I mean is, by the time you reach Mordor, most likely your selected class will receive some changes.

With that in mind, and considering the missed years, I'd say champion. Champ and hunter are easier to get back into the shakes than the other two, but champion has maybe the easiest time in the world. Even if the revamp takes away some tanky-ness from the class, it still will remain pretty tough, and has great AoE damage.

(I'd put hunter a close second, then captain, and lore-master at the end. They can solo too, captain maybe even better than the champion, but with a more difficult playstyle. Maybe more fun too. But if you seek the easiest time, you can't go wrong with champ.)
    Scot
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Same as Po_gg said really.. but I'll add that having a Hunter as your main with all the tracking and guides (teleports) is a massive benefit for solo playstyle. I'd pick hunter.
    Octagon7711
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Yep, that's why I said hunter is a close second :wink:
    Since we don't know what OP means under "the easiest time". Hunter is a trade-off: a bit more challenging with survival in some cases, but on the other hand it is much more convenient.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540
    From your list: probably Champion. Untill nerfing (would we seriously lose 35% DPS?) it is the ebst solo, single-target choice for champions. You could (and should) invest into shing-shing. Main point is - killing enemies adds some health to you, so this should add to survival.
    Please note, that nerfing may ruin everything, you could do wise to wait for nerfing.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    I do get the feeling they are messing around with classes too much, this only leads to confusion and frustration for players.
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Well darn, I was looking forward to starting this weekend.  I guess I will wait now until the nerfs are over ;P.

When I said easiest I guess I should have said when dealing with more than one mob.  Some classes when you get jumped by more than one involve a lot of running around and screaming.  I would like a class that can handle multi mobs if I had to.  I love my hunter but around 50 I thought he was a little too squishy IF I was jumped by more than one.  I also felt like his damage wasn't as strong as it was in lower levels.  I was used to 2 or 3 shotting things.
    Beyorn said:
    When I said easiest I guess I should have said when dealing with more than one mob. 
    In that case definitely champion (or captain, but champion has an easier and more forgiving gameplay).

You can start this weekend, the changes won't alter the class' gameplay or heavily change skills, just pushing around numbers. The last (test server) changes with champions for example: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?664047-Bullroarer-Update-22-2-(Build-2)

It's more about raising stricter barriers around Turbine's "trait lines" idea to hinder experiments and fun... their new goal is that if you want to be a tank champion for example, then that's final, you will be a tank - and nothing else. You can change any time to dps, but then you will be dps. No mixing between the trait lines.
    For fun party with many monsters I see but two options:
    1) melee: Champion. Yellow line. Two weapons (sword for human, axe for dwarf). Shing-shing, shing-shing. For us, Champions, it's the meaning of our (sometimes short) life: jump into crowd and shing-shing;

2) ranged: Minstrel. Red line. One AoE nuke, second AoE nuke, then one attack for short stunning mob, one skill to frighten mob...nuke again. Just not melee. We, Minstrels, are 'bikini' [light] armour, not your "Lee-Roy-Jenkins!" Champions. And in red line Minstrel has powerfull self-heals + some protective shield.
    Good old shing-shing... I'm still keeping this almost 10 years old post in the bookmarks:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?283276-3-things-a-champion-would-like-you-to-know-cause-I-hate-you-and-want-you-to-cry

Shing-shing! :sunglasses:
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited May 2018
    So loremaster is way down on solo ability.

I had a runekeeper, loremaster, ranger and minstrel. I also had crafters for everything I think so long since I played. I enjoyed the loremaster and runekeeper most but I played in groups mainly.
    Chamber of Chains
    I would not judge classes so radically. Have one Loremaster (lvl.40s). It's about pet and the pet doing all hard job for you. You just stand, cast various mezzes and heal pet. If pet dies, you can always resummon it. I really liked Bog-guardian pet (ranged dps, yay).
    And I do remember one fight in Dunland. Camp with Wargs and Orcs. My Champion fights hard to survive. Then out of somewhere - lightinings, some huge stomping trees and some dps: almost everything around is dead. Loremaster appeared, slaughtered, left.
    Loremaster was around my own level.
    Octagon7711cheyaneSinsai
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Tried it again as a f2p...was capped out on gold at level 15 (2 gold cap really?)...Went to the store and they want 395 LOTRO store gold to remove the cap...I had 125....Uninstalled
  • SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    edited May 2018
    Tried it again as a f2p...was capped out on gold at level 15 (2 gold cap really?)...Went to the store and they want 395 LOTRO store gold to remove the cap...I had 125....Uninstalled
    You can farm Turbine Points stupid easy.

I mean just.....LOL.
  • IceDarkIceDark Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Best comment for today! GG :D
    The Ice is dark and full of terror.
    edited May 2018
    In Turbine's (and SSG's) defense, the gold caps of 2 and 5 gold are from 8 years ago, and since then there was a steep inflation in game, money-making is faster now. But for gameplay those are still working caps for free and for premium players... if you bumped into the 2 gold cap at 15, just simply buy a house, or double your vault with the money.

(and as Torval said, a simple month of vip unlocks a lot)

Yes, it's old restriction. Quite easy to remove.
    1) Create a toon on Laurelin
    2) send tell to Stormsong
    3) prepare to ride to Ered Luin and farm/explore under protection of your friendly Minstrel
    4) Ered Luin almost finished? Riding to Bree to do some kills
    5) If lvl. 20 reached - hurray, you may use reputation items.
    6) some 200 Lotro points earned, you may get gold cap removal
    Note: gold is capped at 10.000 gold for all players, VIPs or not.
    Note2: doing deeds give you Lotro points, starter regions are most generous.
    Advertising: I have written my way to be effective at Lotro points farming + about region "return of investment" (price in LP versus LP received for non-raid deeds).
    There isn't really a gold cap... because you can buy a stackable inventory item from bankers that sells for the same as you buy it.
    You need to unlock the gold cap if you want to buy something that costs more than 2 gold though.
    There isn't really a gold cap... because you can buy a stackable inventory item from bankers that sells for the same as you buy it.
    That's a good point, in most games with currency cap players used to bypass it with finding an item which is stackable and has the lowest gap between the buy and sell price (like the cola was DCUO for example).
    With LotRO they added it themselves, and there's no loss or "soft tax" with the conversion, you buy it for 100s, 1g or 10g, and can sell it any time for the same price. You can't do anything else with it, the only purpose of it is to keep your "over the cap" money.