Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained - July 4 Beta 1 Expectations?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I have been following Camelot Unchained for what seems like ages.  It's good to see it make progress.

However, from what I've read, it sounds like Beta 1 is going to be a rough collection of systems to try out, rather than a cohesive game experience.  Is that true?  If so, isn't that more like an alpha or even a pre-alpha version of a game?  IDK, with all the early access terms developers use these days, I'm confused.

Also, is it true that Beta 1 won't be continuously available, but will only be available on weekends?

I think if backers are really getting their hopes up for July 4, they might be really disappointed.  I could be totally wrong on this.  I've been reading posts on forums, rather than seeking out info on the official site as I probably should.

Comments

• tinnistinnis Member UncommonPosts: 41
    edited May 2018
    read the beta 1 document on their site

http://camelotunchained.com/v3/beta-1/

but yes it is going to be an "old school bare bones" beta that will last at least a year - rather than how most developers have warped the term recently as basically an advertising demo of a near release game...

it won't be 24/7 but it won't be *only* the weekends either

example recent reddit discussion https://www.reddit.com/r/CamelotUnchained/comments/8bkcnp/what_is_an_old_school_beta_test/
    JamesGoblin
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited May 2018
    It's an accomplishment for them to be at the point to do public testing like this. Even if it takes a couple more years to complete the base game seems to be there now no matter how rough it may be. I think at this moment everyone can stop worrying about the game never being made.
    JamesGoblinTigsKC
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    tinnis said:
    read the beta 1 document on their site

http://camelotunchained.com/v3/beta-1/

but yes it is going to be an "old school bare bones" beta that will last at least a year - rather than how most developers have warped the term recently as basically an advertising demo of a near release game...

Doesn't sound anything like a traditional beta, it looks more like a form of EA to me.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    DMKano said:
    BruceYee said:
    It's an accomplishment for them to be at the point to do public testing like this. Even if it takes a couple more years to complete the base game seems to be there now no matter how rough it may be. I think at this moment everyone can stop worrying about the game never being made.

In all fairness - as a backer - I stopped worrying about game being made a long time ago.

The real issue is - will the game be any good - that's sort of the only thing that matters, - city state has to deliver:

1. technically sound gameplay experience (stability both client and server, performance, etc..) responsive combat with lots of players like they've been promising

2. Fun and balanced gameplay - the only thing that will matter to 99% of the players - pretty much the hardest thing to pull off - this is what separates great games from the rest (and often where companies get stuck for years burning through all their money)

Delivering both 1 and 2 - this is what makes MMO business so hard.
    As a backer myself my greatest worry is living long enough to actually play it.

Recall this game was promised to be delivered long ago, and it frustrates me not that it isn't done, but that they won't publish a public target release date.

5 years out, they clearly must have one internally,  but lack the confidence in their product to provide a date.

No matter how much they "accomplish", what really matters is how much remains and when will that work be done?

As is so often is the case, the final 20% is taking 80% of the time,  we old project managers are wise to that trick.

;)
    JamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Kyleran said:

Recall this game was promised to be delivered long ago, and it frustrates me not that it isn't done, but that they won't publish a public target release date.

5 years out, they clearly must have one internally,  but lack the confidence in their product to provide a date.

No matter how much they "accomplish", what really matters is how much remains and when will that work be done?

As is so often is the case, the final 20% is taking 80% of the time,  we old project managers are wise to that trick.

;)
    After seeing the title, I was just waiting for cat-man to appear and sing us his blues! At least he always delivers.
     W...aaagh?
    edited May 2018
    Kyleran said:

;)
    After seeing the title, I was just waiting for cat-man to appear and sing us his blues! At least he always delivers.
    If anything I am consistent and predictable.

Not getting any younger here either.

;)

But I am limiting myself to one complaint per thread.....everyone else can return to their celebrations.

B)
    JamesGoblin

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tinnistinnis Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Kyleran said:

but that they won't publish a public target release date.

they publically stated aiming for a 2019 release [likely mid to late]
    Kyleran
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I think I'm just getting anxious again to actually play what is one of my few, remaining MMORPG hopes.  It's not like the old days, where the future seemed wide open for the genre.
    BruceYee
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    BruceYee said:

In all fairness - as a backer - I stopped worrying about game being made a long time ago.

The real issue is - will the game be any good - that's sort of the only thing that matters, - city state has to deliver:

1. technically sound gameplay experience (stability both client and server, performance, etc..) responsive combat with lots of players like they've been promising

2. Fun and balanced gameplay - the only thing that will matter to 99% of the players - pretty much the hardest thing to pull off - this is what separates great games from the rest (and often where companies get stuck for years burning through all their money)

Delivering both 1 and 2 - this is what makes MMO business so hard.

;)
    Building their own engine from scratch so they can have hundreds of players in one area is the reason for praise. If they used an already existing engine that starts crapping out when 30+ players are close together then I'm sure CU would have been made already. Let's give credit where it's due for that at least.

If we are to guess about the 'fun' part I'd place my bet on MJ because all of his past games have been fun for me. I have faith in MJ like I do Mcquaid cause of their history of producing enjoyable games.
    Leiros
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,267
    Only give praise if it actually works.

edited May 2018
    tinnis said:
    Kyleran said:

but that they won't publish a public target release date.

they publically stated aiming for a 2019 release [likely mid to late]
    Well the only quote I could find gave a well qualified late 2019 release date if all goes well.

"We are also shooting for a release in 2019 if - and it's a giant if - we can hire enough programmers," he said. "If we can, I am very confident we can deliver this game in '19. It may be late in '19 but I think we can deliver it."

But at least its a date, more to be revealed I'm sure.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-19-why-the-people-behind-crowdfunded-camelot-unchained-wont-sell-spaceships-or-castles

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    edited May 2018
    Wow I just checked my CU account page for the first time in years. I was kinda stunned to find I donated $300 to fund the game. Holy hell what was I thinking back then. I had such fond memories of DAoC, it may have clouded my judgement! 

Hopefully the game is decent and I didn't light a fire to $300. 
    Kylerantinnisadam_noxJamesGoblin
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I am also backing this game. Should be fun to play!

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Wow I just checked my CU account page for the first time in years. I was kinda stunned to find I donated $300 to fund the game. Holy hell what was I thinking back then. I had such fond memories of DAoC, it may have clouded my judgement! 

Hopefully the game is decent and I didn't light a fire to $300. 

I bought in at the cheapest tier, whatever that was.  I'm a cheapskate when it comes to funding games.
  • BasyielBasyiel Member UncommonPosts: 8
    edited June 2018
    I Have no doubt this game will be a massive failure, donated based game development  has never, never, never been successful. WHY? Because they cant get Legitimate backing and sucker people with high aspirations for a fun game they like. I really feel bad for anyone that funded this mess, Mark Jacobs is a sellout, and didn't know a good thing when he had it. By Abandoning the entire Gamestorm Community and some really, REALLY good games and telling that community to KHA. He's established he has no loyalty to anyone or anything. Karmas a biotch. Don't take my word for it, you'll see where your money went in a few days.. not gonna be pretty.. IF they don't come up with an excuse to push back the release for i'm sure, some inept reason.
    JamesGoblinKyleranAsendor
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Basyiel said:
    I Have no doubt this game will be a massive failure, donated based games have never, never, never been successful. I really feel bad for anyone that funded this mess, Mark Jacobs is a sellout, and didn't know a good thing when he had it. By Abandoning the entire Gamestorm Community and some really, REALLY good games and telling that community to KHA. Karmas a biotch. Don't take my word for it, you'll see where your money went in a few days.. not gonna be pretty.. IF they don't come up with an excuse to push back the release for i'm sure, some inept reason.
    And getting investor funding has?  Far too many games get released and ultimately fail, even after the had good investors.  Due to the success of WOW, far too many people jumped into the development of MMOs.  Investors have soured on that prospect.  Crowdfunding is a way for devs to reach certain goals and allow them to bring in additional investment by showing would-be-investors "hey look.  here is what we have for a game and here is how much players have donated"
    JamesGoblinAsendor

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Basyiel said:
    I Have no doubt this game will be a massive failure, donated based game development  has never, never, never been successful. WHY? Because they cant get Legitimate backing and sucker people with high aspirations for a fun game they like. I really feel bad for anyone that funded this mess, Mark Jacobs is a sellout, and didn't know a good thing when he had it. By Abandoning the entire Gamestorm Community and some really, REALLY good games and telling that community to KHA. He's established he has no loyalty to anyone or anything. Karmas a biotch. Don't take my word for it, you'll see where your money went in a few days.. not gonna be pretty.. IF they don't come up with an excuse to push back the release for i'm sure, some inept reason.

There have been some great games released that were funded through kickstarter, not sure your grudge against the devs is enough of a reason to declare the game DOA. 
    Basyiel said:
    What or who is the 'Gamestorm' community, never heard of it or what games Marc abandoned?

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    This game is from ground up a PvP game and I would play a game like this despite being a huge PvE fan because at least I can go into this knowing that there are systems that are not dependent on PvE and I would not get upset if I am killed . In all probability seeing as I suck at PvP I will also have to be prepared to die a lot. At least this game is not trying to draw in PvE players with promises of immunity if they spend money in the cash shop at end game.
    KyleranAsendor

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Never sounded like something I'd want to play so no expectations.