Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Bless Press Event Was a Big Letdown

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Izkimar said:

Yes they did in countless interviews. Again, it isn't something dreamed up in the head. It is a gameplay shift. What existed before in certain areas had good character building depth, and the devs have also aimed Bless towards a Western audience. The game has not played like a typical Asian game, a lot of the design elements have been more in line with Western games. 

The gameplay shift is in contradiction to both dev quotes and the way the game plays currently. I am not attached to that game state, because I was welcoming the change. Yet it is entirely acceptable for a person to be disappointed with a path in which something changes. It doesn't mean I was against change, it just means I don't agree with the current direction. 

"Also, as far as your skill example, maybe that's the whole point, it's no longer about "wind ride" being used how you used to use it and it's reimagined in a way that is useful as a "part" of those other skills."

I have seen this argument recycled over and over again anytime devs make decisions that may or may not be good for their own game. Just because a dev intends to do something does not make it good or the right choice. It is quite common that bad decisions are made in game development, and that applies for life in general. 

The argument is that the skill is functioning in complete contradiction of the exact identity it still retains, and that is due to being forced into a new system that none of these skills were designed to fit. 
    I have never seen claims for horizontal/vertical progression so that is news to me. If you can point me toward those that would be great.

While it's true that "just because a dev intends to do something doesn't make it a great choice" that is going to be eye of the beholder. Until I actually experience their combat I can't really say if it was the right choice.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Izkimar said:
    t0nyd said:
    I dislike combo based combat. I'd rather pick an ability that I want to use when I .want to use it. I don't want to have to chain together 2 abilities just to finally use the ability that I want.  I prefer responsive combat and having a cc at the end of a combo chain is far from responsive. If you need to interrupt now and can't begin the combo with an interrupt then you basically have no counter. If combo chains are always in the same order than people simply memorize class combo chains and use that to win fights.

I'd prefer a system that let me design my own combo chains and not use pre defined combos. What's the fun of having a bunch of clones running around doing the exact same combos. 
    Agreed. What's also bad is when your major CC skills are Combo Openers and they are completely integral to your normal DPS rotations. There isn't really much argument that can be made to defend that as good design. 
    Well , is always good to see constructive feedback ( maybe Kano will learn something from this thread ) . 

They managed to change the combat system as we know it now for EU/NA. If it will play bad and/or people will not be happy , I am sure they will work around and change stuff, because they have the power to do that - Can they change stuff? - Yes -

This is where Kano fails hard to understand that they are the devs and the publishers and can change/add/etc based on community feedback as many times as they want.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

edited May 2018
    DMKano said:
    IceAge said:
    Izkimar said:
    DMKano said:
    @Izkimar - in your opinion looking at the new combat system and compared to Japanese Bless version... how really different is the new combat?

Some were under the impression that its 100% redone, I say its 80% the same, this Steam version is tweaked old skills but hardly redone.

Whats your thoughts on how much of the Steam combat is completely redone?
    I would say it is about 80% the same at the foundational level, but due to the forced flow of skills it will play almost entirely different.  
    Poor @DMKano

PS: I hope you understand the meaning of "foundation" and "it will play almost entirely different".

Sorry but it was you who failed to understand the fact that individual class skills in Japanese version were used as the foundation for skills in the steam version - and those are 80% the same.

What this means is that "rework" that Neowiz did to combat is a lot less impressive than you think. They just tweaked the skills and limited their use in the new chain combo system.

The end result is less freedom and more limits in class builds.

Kano kano kano :)

No , you are wrong. The combat will play almost entirely different. That's it. Meaning the combat system ( how it plays ) is entirely different. If the OP does not like it, that is a very different story. But keep saying the same shit you've been saying since few months ago.

PS: I just heard you were a tester of some kind on the Steam Version! LOL. Yeah ... LOL. And that you cannot talk much, because of the NDA. LOL . Is this true? LOL.................

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

DMKano said:
    Sovrath said:
    Izkimar said:

Yes they did in countless interviews. Again, it isn't something dreamed up in the head. It is a gameplay shift. What existed before in certain areas had good character building depth, and the devs have also aimed Bless towards a Western audience. The game has not played like a typical Asian game, a lot of the design elements have been more in line with Western games. 

The gameplay shift is in contradiction to both dev quotes and the way the game plays currently. I am not attached to that game state, because I was welcoming the change. Yet it is entirely acceptable for a person to be disappointed with a path in which something changes. It doesn't mean I was against change, it just means I don't agree with the current direction. 

"Also, as far as your skill example, maybe that's the whole point, it's no longer about "wind ride" being used how you used to use it and it's reimagined in a way that is useful as a "part" of those other skills."

I have seen this argument recycled over and over again anytime devs make decisions that may or may not be good for their own game. Just because a dev intends to do something does not make it good or the right choice. It is quite common that bad decisions are made in game development, and that applies for life in general. 

The argument is that the skill is functioning in complete contradiction of the exact identity it still retains, and that is due to being forced into a new system that none of these skills were designed to fit. 
    I have never seen claims for horizontal/vertical progression so that is news to me. If you can point me toward those that would be great.

While it's true that "just because a dev intends to do something doesn't make it a great choice" that is going to be eye of the beholder. Until I actually experience their combat I can't really say if it was the right choice.

You would have had to play Korean or Japan version to really tell the difference though.
    I suspect that might be a huge factor in this.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Sovrath said:

Mannnnn why are you making me work, I don't feel like doing this lol. 

Please trust me when I say there is much much more lol, and again this isn't just a case of me taking a loose promise by the devs. This type of stuff already existed in their game. So whenever newer systems stand in contrast it is not only in contrast to their words, but also to their existing game before. 
    Izkimar said:
    Sovrath said:

Mannnnn why are you making me work, I don't feel like doing this lol. 

Please trust me when I say there is much much more lol, and again this isn't just a case of me taking a loose promise by the devs. This type of stuff already existed in their game. So whenever newer systems stand in contrast it is not only in contrast to their words, but also to their existing game before. 
    Oh no, I think that's fine (no reason for more) and it's what helps frame things in the correct light. I asked for this because I'm a big believer that if one makes a statement they need to back it up, especially if they are making a post pointing to a video.

That first one makes no sense and in truth someone should have called BS on that.

As for the rest, do they have some sort of point system where one can increase/morph/add functionality to skills? Because that's what that seems to imply.

IceAge said:
    Well , is always good to see constructive feedback ( maybe Kano will learn something from this thread ) . 

They managed to change the combat system as we know it now for EU/NA. If it will play bad and/or people will not be happy , I am sure they will work around and change stuff, because they have the power to do that - Can they change stuff? - Yes -

This is where Kano fails hard to understand that they are the devs and the publishers and can change/add/etc based on community feedback as many times as they want.

I can see what you are saying. At the same time the devs might not fix those things. Would that be a baseless unfounded concern? No, because there is actually evidence of this. Bless Japan has been out for I think 7-8+ months now, and the same game breaking Rune system has still yet to be addressed. And they have added the party system into Japan that has only compounded the issues of the Rune System. 

Maybe they care more about NA/EU and will do better by us. I sure hope so. I really want an MMO to play. I was hoping those concerns were going to be addressed at this event, yet they weren't. That + the design direction changed my predictions of personally getting 6+ months out of the game, to hoping I will get 2-3 months. 
    Sovrath said:
    Oh no, I think that's fine (no reason for more) and it's what helps frame things in the correct light. I asked for this because I'm a big believer that if one makes a statement they need to back it up, especially if they are making a post pointing to a video.

That first one makes no sense and in truth someone should have called BS on that.

As for the rest, do they have some sort of point system where one can increase/morph/add functionality to skills? Because that's what that seems to imply.
    I totally understand, just didn't feel like having to do it lol. 

In the old system you would put points into abilities in order to enhance their effects, and you had a passive skill system in which you could slot 4 passives to augment abilities or add altering effects. 

Now instead of points, you can put gems into skills in 2 diff paths per each skill. Example: 1 gem in X path is 5% additional dmg, 1 gem into Y path is 5% reduced resource. 

Old system would do various things to skills, and it varied skill to skill. A point in X Skill might give you 10% additional AP scaling per point, and 15% reduced mana cost. On some it was other resources, cdr., etc. 

On an individual level the new system is better. Because some might give things like increased move speed after fully charging X skill, so there is actually some things that are little different than before, and you actually have a choice to make. However, it isn't more horizontal progression whenever you put it in context of losing the choice over taking the exact skills you wanted.

My criticism is we got some improvements that already needed to be made, but had many other things stripped away at the same time. 

Also the new Parameter system is a pure stat dump, to where you will unlock every single stat in a linear on rails fashion. Vs. actually having to pick/choose/prioritize different stats with a cap on points. 
    Sovrath
    Izkimar said:
    IceAge said:

Maybe they care more about NA/EU and will do better by us. I sure hope so. I really want an MMO to play. I was hoping those concerns were going to be addressed at this event, yet they weren't. That + the design direction changed my predictions of personally getting 6+ months out of the game, to hoping I will get 2-3 months. 
    That is the thing. As you said, they released Bless JP 7-8 months ago, which means is the same as they started working ( or earlier ? ) for the Steam version. They couldn't do too much for the JP version in the same time. 

I believe Steam Version will be their main focus from now on. Don't expect critical changes in the first few months however, but...I strongly believe that in around 6 months, Bless will be in a very good shape.
    cheyane

IceAge said:

That is the thing. As you said, they released Bless JP 7-8 months ago, which means is the same as they started working ( or earlier ? ) for the Steam version. They couldn't do too much for the JP version in the same time. 

I believe Steam Version will be their main focus from now on. Don't expect critical changes in the first few months however, but...I strongly believe that in around 6 months, Bless will be in a very good shape.
    Hey man I hope you're right. If you remember correctly I've trying to get people excited for Bless :) lol. 
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    IceAge said:
    but...I strongly believe that in around 6 months, Bless will be in a very good shape.
    And the goal post keeps moving for those in denial.
    DakerucheyaneSixpax
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I had a slight interest in Bless despite it's bad history.
    Then they announced founder packs...

The OP's points are critical but I felt they made sense.
    I am not as objective as he is however.

Hearing of founder packs is all the red signals I need.
    It's a sign that a company wants to cash in before people notice the flaws of a game.
    Kyleran
    Harbinger of Fools