Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nearly 50,000 Concurrent Players Tried to Survive Over the Weekend - Conan Exiles - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageNearly 50,000 Concurrent Players Tried to Survive Over the Weekend - Conan Exiles - MMORPG.com

Conan Exiles News - On Sunday night, nearly 50,000 Steam PC players were trying to survive the harsh wildlands Conan Exiles. The announcement was made via the game's Facebook page and features a screen capture that shows exactly 49,308 folks were building and battling in the recently-released survival title from Funcom.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    edited May 2018
    Those numbers would of been higher if the whole server thing was less of a convoluted pile of
    dog pooh.
    That aside of my usual based in Oceanic region gripes, and even if they say a server is Oceanic region you trace route it and its sitting right next to the other ones.
    Not all do it but some big named ones do....

Anyhoooo upshot of it was the group of us from Australia that tried, and have since tried to play have failed, we all got refunds and that was 8 of us spread out over OZ that I know of, but we are "Barely on the map" so its all good.

So need a middle finger Emoji to sign off with, but sadly don't have one to hand (see what I did there).

EDIT.....In the vein of balance I did do some asking (survey) in our group, and amazingly despite being 1000s of KM,s apart in some cases, we were using mostly the same ISP (Telstra), so willing to add a cravat to my above rant, but the ISP has been fine with other Servers worldwide. 
    .extraClassAspect{-webkit-transform:scaleX(1.34)!important;}.extraClassCrop{-webkit-transform:scale(1.34)!important;}

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,499
    Glad to hear it continues to do well, it might one day become the first survival game that I play.

SBFordrojoArcueid

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited May 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Glad to hear it continues to do well, it might one day become the first survival game that I play.

Im not a huge fan of the genre but really enjoying this game, Its good , real good. The only problem with the game so far is getting back on to the server of your choice. I was unable to log on last night .
    [Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• GrandpaDJGrandpaDJ Member UncommonPosts: 132
    I own Ark and Rust but was never able to get very far into them for various reasons. Since Conan's release, I've put 27 hours into it and loved every minute. Would have been more - damn Mother's Day!
    Thupli
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited May 2018
    "Concurrent" is misleading. Yes 50,000 were online, but in separate servers of ~40ppl max.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Galadourn said:
    "Concurrent" is misleading. Yes 50,000 were online, but in separate servers of ~40ppl max.
    It's not misleading if those 50k people are spread on official servers. Besides, their word, not ours. ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• arbi15arbi15 Member UncommonPosts: 41

Galadourn said:

so what? what is your point even? thats still concurrent players and the 40ppl per server makes total sense for this type of game. imagine what a shitshow it would be with thousands or hundreds of players in one server
    SBFord
    edited May 2018
    SBFord said:
    Galadourn said:
    It's not misleading if those 50k people are spread on official servers. Besides, their word, not ours. ;)
    Sorry, perhaps it wasn't clear from my post, I am not "blaming" anything on you @SBFord, I just find the original Steam post a bit misleading. 

For example if I were a complete stranger to the Conan series and i came across that post, I would wonder whether there was an actual survival game with 50,000 concurrent players in the same game world worth checking out.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited May 2018
    Galadourn said:
    SBFord said:
    Galadourn said:
    Sorry, perhaps it wasn't clear from my post, I am not "blaming" anything on you @SBFord, I just find the original Steam post a bit misleading. 

For example if I were a complete stranger to the Conan series and i came across that post, I would wonder whether there was an actual survival game with 50,000 concurrent players in the same game world worth checking out.
    Totally knew that! I just meant that the numbers are technically, and realistically, concurrent since those numbers are  players playing the game at the same time on official servers regardless of the number each one can support. It's the same with any game. While WoW is technically "one massive game", it's similarly split into multiple servers, yet no one would question concurrency. :)
    Wellspring

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

agreed on the semantic accuracy of the word, however on a more subtle nuance the word "concurrent" is usually used by game companies when they want to advertise how massive their online worlds are and how many players they can support "concurrently".
    SBFord
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I have been playing the hell out of this, I bought it last week.

The official servers are garbage, and the hosting company they chose is awful, I was trying to play with a friend across the US so we chose one with 90 ping between us both, and upon joining and doing a command to check ping, we both had up to 140 - 160 ping at a time, with a lot of rubber banding and lag related issues.

So we went and bought a server through a different hosting company (hosthavoc, same company I used to rent ARK servers through), and holy cow is it fun when you don't have any of those issues.

This game is what I wanted ARK to be. Sure it still has quite a few bugs, and the washed out look in the desert area can really wear your eyes, but it's just fun to play. The combat is actually fun, unlike most survival games. I can see why it blew up, it's a survival game done correctly.
    SBFordrertezKyleranThupli
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Would love to be playing, if Denuvo was not installed along with the game.

But besides that the game itself would have been better if it were an actual MMO, not server based where progress is always lost and reset.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Galadourn said:

agreed on the semantic accuracy of the word, however on a more subtle nuance the word "concurrent" is usually used by game companies when they want to advertise how massive their online worlds are and how many players they can support "concurrently".

You were wrong. Admit it and move on.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2018
    I've been playing since launch exclusively single player waiting for my friends to buy the game. I really like Conan Exiles but there is one thing that is driving me insane. The game uses way too much memory.

My PC can handle the game with everything or almost everything on ultra, but i have to keep Textures on Medium and almost everything else on Low to Medium to keep RAM usage below 7GB and GPU usage below 3.5GB (stupid GTX970 and its 3.5GB nonsense). And i've been reading that i am not the only one with memory usage problems in this game.

Between Windows 10 and this game running after a while it starts using so much memory that i start getting consecutive freezes forever and if i don't quit and restart the game it eventually freezes up and i have to force reboot the PC. I'm aware i need to upgrade to 16GB of RAM from my current 8GB but this is ridiculous. This game is not even that graphical intensive.

Kyleran said:

It is the only one i like and for one good reason, it is a Conan game that also happens to have building/survival stuff. And because you are playing from an exiled's perspective, the survival/building aspect makes a lot of sense. There is also a lot of lore in the game that you find while exploring and talking to key NPCs.

I hope it succeeds where Age of Conan didn't. I keep thinking about AoC when i'm playing this game.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Torval said:

The official servers are garbage, and the hosting company they chose is awful, I was trying to play with a friend across the US so we chose one with 90 ping between us both, and upon joining and doing a command to check ping, we both had up to 140 - 160 ping at a time, with a lot of rubber banding and lag related issues.

So we went and bought a server through a different hosting company (hosthavoc, same company I used to rent ARK servers through), and holy cow is it fun when you don't have any of those issues.

This game is what I wanted ARK to be. Sure it still has quite a few bugs, and the washed out look in the desert area can really wear your eyes, but it's just fun to play. The combat is actually fun, unlike most survival games. I can see why it blew up, it's a survival game done correctly.
    The actual game play feels so good. It's smooth and feels tuned rather well. The combat is satisfying and it's not hard to miss if you don't take care. None of this sloppy diesel rig sized hitboxes you get in MMOs. You need to be on it and up in it.

I'm playing on a private server a friend in the OTG was kind enough to hook me up with. They're a nice group and based on impressions from global chat people are having fun. I also have a single player game save and it's fun in that mode as well. 

The purge is a good idea to keep structure litter to a minimum over time.
    I agree, the only issue is I can't figure out how to configure it so that you can't hit clan members with damage. I have PvP enabled on my server but any time we are trying to hunt monsters a couple of the members end up hitting each-other a bunch. 

I didn't even know there was a purge, how frequently does it happen? That was a huge annoyance in ARK with clans who would quit and leave huge bases. 
    [Deleted User]
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

Kyleran said:

It is the only one i like and for one good reason, it is a Conan game that also happens to have building/survival stuff. And because you are playing from an exiled's perspective, the survival/building aspect makes a lot of sense. There is also a lot of lore in the game that you find while exploring and talking to key NPCs.

I hope it succeeds where Age of Conan didn't. I keep thinking about AoC when i'm playing this game.

Go around the pirate areas the music tracks change to Tortage and when you go up north into the highlands the music changes to Chimera
    rojoArcueid
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Really good game. Enjoying it alot.
    JeffSpicoli
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I'd be playing this but I'm hopelessly addicted to Path of Exile as usual. I just can't get enough of the game and I don't know why. Now a new league is coming out on June 1st and I just got into playing flashback with their MTX rewards and . . . my novel is like 99.5k words and i just work all the time too. Just no time to play all day. 

One time my wife was away with the kid and I surprisingly didn't have work. I basically work like 95% of all days anyway. So I ended up alternating between xbox, path of exile and conan exiles for a day. It was great. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • PissedjediPissedjedi Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Love the game so much I pay to host a server that handles up to 70 players. Currently the most popular us based Pvp private server. we are averaging about 50 a day and at primetime we hit 60+.
    Sovrath
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,499
    Love the game so much I pay to host a server that handles up to 70 players. Currently the most popular us based Pvp private server. we are averaging about 50 a day and at primetime we hit 60+.
    Almost as many as SotA

;)
    Thupli[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

The server's performance was likely the cause there. Go to the console and type toggledebughud to see the server "ping". That is basically how fast the server can update all the clients and move NPCs in the world. Good servers should be close to 30.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Torval said:

The actual game play feels so good. It's smooth and feels tuned rather well. The combat is satisfying and it's not hard to miss if you don't take care. None of this sloppy diesel rig sized hitboxes you get in MMOs. You need to be on it and up in it.

I'm playing on a private server a friend in the OTG was kind enough to hook me up with. They're a nice group and based on impressions from global chat people are having fun. I also have a single player game save and it's fun in that mode as well. 

The purge is a good idea to keep structure litter to a minimum over time.
    I agree, the only issue is I can't figure out how to configure it so that you can't hit clan members with damage. I have PvP enabled on my server but any time we are trying to hunt monsters a couple of the members end up hitting each-other a bunch. 

I didn't even know there was a purge, how frequently does it happen? That was a huge annoyance in ARK with clans who would quit and leave huge bases. 
    That's by design and I like it :) we did some tests and it seems friendly damage is reduced, very basic tests so could be wrong . . .
    Use Pikes when ganging up on monsters, strong attack up to the 3rd combo are all stab attacks. Works great.

What is annoying though, and most of my clan mates didn't know about this feature at all, is you can lock on targets, but it prefers players by a long run! I can have a hyena in the middle of my screen, and an ally to my left but just on screen, I hit target lock and it moves to my ally . . .
    [Deleted User]
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    TBH i wonder......
    1 Million Copies sold and "just" 50K Players Online? Uhm....

I know, i know, sold Copies are not even to Players simultaneously Online, we all know that, but the Number is a bit on the very low end or what you think? And ofc there are all the private Servers which are not counted for this Number, but can the Gap be so big? I dunno..... 

Torval said:

Ilaya said:

TBH i wonder......
    1 Million Copies sold and "just" 50K Players Online? Uhm....

I know, i know, sold Copies are not even to Players simultaneously Online, we all know that, but the Number is a bit on the very low end or what you think? And ofc there are all the private Servers which are not counted for this Number, but can the Gap be so big? I dunno..... 

It's 50k people playing the game at once, not total. So at one point there were 50k people all playing this game at the same time. Another good metric to use along with this is total people hours played per day. That lets you know not only were bunch online at once, but how long they stayed logged in.

Also the game released on PC, PS4, and XBO so the 1 million sold is across all platforms, and the 50k players at once is Steam only.
    [Deleted User]ThupliKyleran