Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 1 just received a considerable graphical improvement

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
Two devs on their own time decided to give a go at improving render distance, 8x Anti-aliasing among a few others improvements where bug fixing is included.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Feedback:Game_updates/20180509

and the video showing the changes

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

ScorchienTokkenTruvidien88StoneRosesGorweJamesGoblinOctagon7711rojoArcueidHariken[Deleted User]

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    That is actually awesome .. dam it .. now i want to play it again..
    TokkenJamesGoblinOctagon7711
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited May 2018
    Scorchien said:
    That is actually awesome .. dam it .. now i want to play it again..
    Yeah, got me to reinstall. But havent played in easily over a decade at least lol. Last played it way before WoW was even released. I don't remember character names, or email I used (well, its one of three emails and I have access to none of the three emails since I deleted them) and definitely don't remember the password. All I have is the steam CD key lol.

Hopefully support is able to do something for my old account. Really just have the CD key to prove its me lol.

I do remember the character building in GW1 was (and is) amazing. You could do meta and copy everyone, OR you can do a HUGE amount of build varieties and all kinds of things. Can even make a nerfed build and try it as a challenge, or just a fun general build that wasn't good or bad. There was so much variety to each character
    JamesGoblin

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    Wow, impressive indeed & totally unexpected.  I haven't played GW1 for a long time now, but this is enough to get me to log-in & at least check it out again.  Those two Devs & anyone that aided them deserve some accolades!
    Scorchien[Deleted User]
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    If only they did similar stuff for GW2, taking their free time to add/fix stuff.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    edited May 2018
    Asch126 said:
    If only they did similar stuff for GW2, taking their free time to add/fix stuff.
    I think they tried(and failed) with stories lol. Oh man, i still remember when stories was first being introduced/marketed. So many people were shitting bricks thinking it was going to be revolutionary.

Same as when EQN's "storyboards" was gonna be next level AI stuff. Ahh, thanks for the trip down memory lane.
    Octagon7711

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    That .. looks actually impressive. Ironically , GW1 is .. 13 years old? And still looks and play WAY better then ALL* KS projects, which ... says a lot about KS projects.

* Fine ...citizen's, your .. graphics looks better ...
    JamesGoblin

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    edited May 2018
    IceAge said:
    That .. looks actually impressive. Ironically , GW1 is .. 13 years old? And still looks and play WAY better then ALL* KS projects, which ... says a lot about KS projects.

* Fine ...citizen's, your .. graphics looks better ...
    Pretty sure gw1 is 17 years old  i was wrong, i'd delete this if i knew how.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited May 2018
    I still play Gw1 time to time. There is still a very healthy community. You can always find other players for any pve content. If you wanna do pvp, RA and GvG communities are still very active. You can always queue for random arenas and find other players to play and there are a lot of GvG guilds to join. But the pvp community on Factions is pretty much dead. You can't find enough players to do alliance battles or other two pvp missions anytime you want but there are specific dates that community decides to do them.  Just follow the Gw1 subreddit and you will see the community events for alliance battles, jade quarry and fort aspenwood.

Btw you can't see any other player on EU or any other server except US. If you wanna play with other players or need to sell/buy any items go to the US one. Everyone plays on that server. My friend did that mistake and thought that the game was dead.
    JamesGoblin
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Gorwe said:
    Two devs on their own time decided to give a go at improving render distance, 8x Anti-aliasing among a few others improvements where bug fixing is included.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Feedback:Game_updates/20180509

and the video showing the changes

Wut? Can they finally finish the balance while they're at it? Some Attributes feel really meh. Imo, every attribute should be build worthy. Only Tactics, Command, Inspiration, Wilderness Survival and sorta Smiting Prayers and Motivation left. It's not such a big undertaking!
    That's not going to happen since these guys did it on their own time, not as an official project for ANet. The game's been in maintenance mode for years.

JamesGoblinGorwe[Deleted User]Octagon7711Sovrath

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AegirisAegiris Member UncommonPosts: 49
    TheScavenger said:

But havent played in easily over a decade at least lol. Last played it way before WoW was even released. 
    Except WoW released in '04, like 6 months before GW.
    SBFordGorweTheScavenger
  • GameolioDanGameolioDan Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Wowsers... I'll have to get back in there and vanquish something while enjoying the greater view distances. No more blurry trees for me! :)
    Octagon7711
    G'day! Aussie guy that records videos of his gameplay. I stream gameplay too.

Youtube: http://youtube.com/c/gameoliodan
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/gameoliodan
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2018
    Aight well went and jumped back in this morning ..

And yes a very nice Graphic update .. The Terrain and draw distance are really nice now for such an old game .. Started playin around with my lvl 5 Monk to get reacclimated .. right away having fun .. and planning out a build..

ps .. for me .. no discs needed and my GW2 credentials are tied to Gw1

Also , i was a little surprised at the number of players so early in AM .. Good for GW :)
    JamesGoblin
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited May 2018
    Even if it was a side project for a couple of developers, this gives a couple of much needed points to Arenanet from me.  Have been incredibly disappointed with GW2 on the whole despite them learning from, and improving it with each expansion... so this gives me some hope that the developers at least haven't forgotten about the game that really started it all for them.  There was supposed to be a major update for "Guild Wars Beyond" to add onto the story that it started a ways back, as well as an expansion... maybe there's hope that they'll go back to it at some point in the future?  Similar to how Path of Titan got a surprise expansion and FFXI got an unexpected one years ago, as well.

Whatever the case, it's got me into the Guild Wars feeling again.
    JamesGoblinGorwe
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Like I said on the other thread talking about this game. I wish I had more time I would honestly squeeze this game into it if I could.
    SBFord

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    GW is more of a proper MMO than GW2, but now in maintenance mode because we must all play GW2. :(
    SBFordaustinmaw
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This is more a case of allowing the graphics that should have been there day 1 instead of extremely limiting them/render distance.
    When i see LODfull it just tells me they were limiting the graphics,more just proving what i said from day 1,you get what you pay for.
    However FFXI sort of did the same thing,players figured out how to improve the graphics via registry tweaks.
    Overall the MMORPG industry is just so frustrating to watch,improving graphics on weaker games,design changes that leave me not wanting to play the games at all,terrible design decisions in newer games,there is VERY little choice for myself to find a quality well made game.
    As of this very day in 2018 i am still on that old fence of game play>graphics,i cannot accept most of the game play designs i am seeing in rpg's.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Guild Wars 1 is the only game where I ever played a healer and loved it. Awesome game, but no time to add yet another game to my short list of "Things I Actually Have Time For". :(
    Scotaustinmaw

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Aegiris said:
    TheScavenger said:

But havent played in easily over a decade at least lol. Last played it way before WoW was even released. 
    Except WoW released in '04, like 6 months before GW.
    You are right. I thought GW1 was older. It feels like a long time since I last played, but it must have not been as long as I thought then.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited May 2018
    ^^^^ you can do that really ?

If it is on steam it will make it more likely I might play it a bit when I get time....time management is not my forte.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=238445792

Found this step step instructions.
    [Deleted User]SBFord

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Still have it installed after all these years and logging in now I see notes that on June 27th the store will be upgraded.  Interesting.  I loved this game when it first came out and will definitely give it a go.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I loved this game when I played it.  One of the very few games I  pvp in and one of my all time favorite classes, the ritualist.  Looking forward to revisiting this game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I was able to get my account back.  I barely remembered any of the details, but I remembered enough that the GM linked the old GW account to my GW2 one. Only thing that was iffy was the email address, since it was an NCsoft one, but I was close enough to how it was spelled that it got by (with the other info I had).

Now can play again :) Its been a long time. 

At least support is good as well to help retrieve old accounts...I've had some MMO customer support not even do that lol. So its nice support is good, even if it did take a few days to get it worked out. I'd rather it take a few days than not at all and just bot spam replies lol
    rojoArcueid[Deleted User]

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2018
    This is fantastic news!

First ANET linked GW1 and GW2 together under one account, and now this. I am very happy. This is a jewel of a game. I own the physical trilogy and have always installed it on my PC even when i'm not playing it.

I guess it's almost time to finally purchase Eye of the North as well and get back to it.
    [Deleted User]

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Are there still active players? I loved GW1 and still have the trilogy. Don't know if I could ever figure out my old account info but if there's players maybe I'll give it a shot to replay some of it.