Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, what's an MMO these days? According to MMORPG.com, mostly everything. What does future entail..

YumeTsukaiYumeTsukai Member UncommonPosts: 40
Hi Guys,

Before you burn me on a stick like some kind of heretic, I want you to take a deep breath, read this (it's rather short) and try to make some logical connections of your own(if possible).

Many years ago, a great passion was born for bringing great numbers of players together. Something to overcome traditional multiplayer games and do what was never done before. In the end they called it... MMO : Massively Multiplayer Online, which then became a new genre of games, with MMORPG being the most widely known. Today we have many types of MMOs... like MMORPGs, MMORTSs, MMOFPS, and MMO-whatever you want. But are they really all MMOs or is this just an over-abused term in order to cater to a bigger audience?

I was just browsing this the other days: https://www.mmorpg.com/games-list , trying to see if I can find something new worthwhile in there. However I remained a bit shocked to see how some titles were categorized, e.g. :

- Destiny 2 - MMOFPS (an online multiplayer game with shared lobby, 3-6 player party size, and 12 players max in PVP)

- Soulworker - MMORPG (an online multiplayer game with shared lobby, 4 player party size, and 12? players max in PVP)

- Vindictus - MMORPG (an online multiplayer game with shared lobby (towns), 8? player party size - haven't played this in some time)

And these are just some examples.

Why are these labeled MMOs (Massively Multiplayer Online) instead of MOs (Multiplayer online)? Where is the "Massive or Massively" part in them ? Is it the shared lobbies where you can dance with some dozen other players? Can they really compare to actual MMOs like World of Warcraft, Lineage 2, Dark Age of Camelot, Eve Online that actually brought hundreds or more players together, on the same server in the same place? Is it not a very wrong thing to lump them together?

Some of you might not care about the naming. But the way it looks right now, in the future every online multiplayer game with a shared lobby will be named an MMO (it's already happening), just to sell better. And I think it's an insult to both the developers and players that are looking towards creating/getting immersed in a true "massive" experience.

Thanks for reading. You decide the future.
Rudedawg007KidRiskGobstopper3DturinmacleodJeffSpicolikjempff

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Games change

For example. We don't see the same style games from 1999 as we do now.

Look at RPGs. They started almost entirely as huge open worlds, with massive game length. Even games like Skyrim aren't anything like Daggerfall, the biggest open world game ever...Skyrim is nothing like Morrowind either.

Morrowind isn't even anything like Oblivion either

And then look at Fallout 1/2...vastly different than Fallout 3, NV and even more different is Fallout 4

Which are great examples of them all being RPGs, but very different than older RPGs. But just because they are different doesn't make them not RPGs

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Games change

Look at RPGs. They started almost entirely as huge open worlds, with massive game length. Even games like Skyrim aren't anything like Daggerfall, the biggest open world game ever...Skyrim is nothing like Morrowind either.

And then look at Fallout 1/2...vastly different than Fallout 3, NV and even more different is Fallout 4

Which are great examples of them all being RPGs, but very different than older RPGs. But just because they are different doesn't make them not RPGs
    What you're describing and what OP is describing is like oil and water my man. Also i dont even know what you're on about. Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim all share a fuck ton of similarities. Just like Witcher 1-3 does. Well maybe not 1, i didn't play it but at least 2-3. They're all RPGs at their core despite the differences.

OP is right, none of those are MMOs, he's most right about Vindictus and Soul Worker. I came in this thread ready to lambast OP thinking he was yet another person going "Why is Diablo 3 and Path of Exile listed on the game list when they're not mmorpgs" when they're clearly labeled as ARPGs...but yea sure enough destiny is an mmofps and vindictus an mmorpg. lol

I'm curious where this goes.
    YumeTsukai

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Monster Hunter World: set to be mmorpgs mmo of the year in 2018 ;)
    mrputts[Deleted User]
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Sephiroso said:
    Games change

What you're describing and what OP is describing is like oil and water my man. Also i dont even know what you're on about. Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim all share a fuck ton of similarities. Just like Witcher 1-3 does. Well maybe not 1, i didn't play it but at least 2-3. They're all RPGs at their core despite the differences.

OP is right, none of those are MMOs, he's most right about Vindictus and Soul Worker. I came in this thread ready to lambast OP thinking he was yet another person going "Why is Diablo 3 and Path of Exile listed on the game list when they're not mmorpgs" when they're clearly labeled as ARPGs...but yea sure enough destiny is an mmofps and vindictus an mmorpg. lol

Morrowind is nothing like Skyrim lol. In morrowind, you grinding the skills up (sorta same in oblivion, morrowind is more similar to oblivion in some ways). That makes it really different in itself. Where as Skyrim its a perk tree like Fallout, makes the game really different. But many other changes to.

Though the biggest example I noticed you skipped... 

You can't say fallout 1 and 2 are anything like fallout 3, NV which are pretty different than fallout 4.

Fallout 1 and 2 are completely different style RPGs than bethesda's fallout...but they are still RPGs despite them being vastly different.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

edited May 2018
    I don't talk about things i haven't played. Never played any of the Fallouts because they didn't interest me. Perk tree or not, you grind your skills in both Morrowind and Skyrim. You're looking at some superficial differences acting like its the difference between the sky and earth when its really the difference between an orange tree and an apple tree

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I've never really considered those games to be MMOs and don't know anybody who does, despite the label they sometimes receive online. Games like The Division, Destiny, Warframe, and Sea of Thieves are relatively new and for some reason many find it hard to categorize them. I've seen the term "MMO-Lite" used quite a bit to label any shared-world games with some kind of persistence, progression, and a combination of PvE and PvP, but it still implies "massive" when they often cap players at 10-30 per instance. 

Even Battlefield has 64-player matches, but nobody's ever used an MMO-style category for it because it has no persistence (even though the Operations mode is bigger in scope than many MMO PvP Battlegrounds modes). Maybe those others games get lumped in with MMOs because they still have a lot of grindy progression after reaching the level cap.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    This type of thread comes out like once every three weeks.

www.MMORPG.com branched out to cover more games and attract a larger audience and therefore keep themselves in business. 

Definitions aren't that important in video gaming. In other fields they are very important. 

Cryomatrix
    SBFordDakeruNephethsschruppMMOExposed
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    bonzoso21 said:
    I've never really considered those games to be MMOs and don't know anybody who does, despite the label they sometimes receive online. Games like The Division, Destiny, Warframe, and Sea of Thieves are relatively new and for some reason many find it hard to categorize them. I've seen the term "MMO-Lite" used quite a bit to label any shared-world games with some kind of persistence, progression, and a combination of PvE and PvP, but it still implies "massive" when they often cap players at 10-30 per instance. 

Even Battlefield has 64-player matches, but nobody's ever used an MMO-style category for it because it has no persistence (even though the Operations mode is bigger in scope than many MMO PvP Battlegrounds modes). Maybe those others games get lumped in with MMOs because they still have a lot of grindy progression after reaching the level cap.
    To me it's very simple. Just drop an M. That's all they gotta do. Multiplayer Online Game.

It's a spectrum. There's Single Player RPGS or RPG. There's Co-op RPGs for 2-4 or...well Co-op RPG. Then Multiplayer(Online if online) RPG or MORPG. And finally MMORPG.

I really don't get why people fight so hard to be dumb when it comes to labeling. But then again there's people who think vaccinations cause autism and that the earth is flat so what ya gonna do.
    KyleranYumeTsukai

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited May 2018
    Oh look! It's this week's thread...

*sighs*

We are a brand now. For us, it's not as simple as sticking to the old definition of what an MMORPG is since it's evolving and changing and so are we. It's not as if we can just drop the URL and not lose our brand name. Most tissues aren't Kleenex and most bandages aren't Bandaids, but that's what they are.

On the games list, we have clear categories that can sort the list by what type(s) of games you want to see. 

The bottom line is: We adapt or we die. 

*pulls out tired wrinkled paper*

We cover a lot of games here at MMORPG.com. We cover as much MMORPG news as we can but we have expanded coverage to fit in with the evolving nature of what online gaming is and, frankly, to pay the bills.

*folds the paper, stuffs it back into her pocket until next week*
    [Deleted User]NephethKyleranKidRisk[Deleted User]sschruppMadFrenchie[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Did not we normally wait a week between these?
    SBFordScorchienNepheth

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2018
    lmao , thats what i thought when i read the title , then .................

" Oh know he didnt"
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Sephiroso said:
    Games change

Morrowind is nothing like Skyrim lol. In morrowind, you grinding the skills up (sorta same in oblivion, morrowind is more similar to oblivion in some ways). That makes it really different in itself. Where as Skyrim its a perk tree like Fallout, makes the game really different. But many other changes to.

Though the biggest example I noticed you skipped... 

You can't say fallout 1 and 2 are anything like fallout 3, NV which are pretty different than fallout 4.

Fallout 1 and 2 are completely different style RPGs than bethesda's fallout...but they are still RPGs despite them being vastly different.
    All of those older RPGs are single player titles, same for your more modern examples.

You are arguing about what "perspective" they play from, and differences in mechanics are irrelevant.

MMORPGs from 1999 were "massively" multiplayer with hundreds if not thousands online in the same game world.  You could also get at least a couple of hundred folks in the same zone.

Heck, EQ1 had raids 5 times larger than the titles you are defending as "MMOs."

Sure, times change, but massively still does not mean a 12 person dungeon run.

No surrender. 

;)
    Sephiroso[Deleted User]YumeTsukaiVyntGobstopper3DAzoth

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Scorchien said:
    lmao , thats what i thought when i read the title , then .................

" I know he didnt"
    Ok then... @OP please close this and repost on Monday.

Thx

SBFord

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Who buys bandages other than Band-Aids?!
    SBFordKyleran
    edited May 2018
    SBFord said:

*sighs*

We are a brand now. For us, it's not as simple as sticking to the old definition of what an MMORPG is since it's evolving and changing and so are we. It's not as if we can just drop the URL and not lose our brand name. Most tissues aren't Kleenex and most bandages aren't Bandaids, but that's what they are.

On the games list, we have clear categories that can sort the list by what type(s) of games you want to see. 

We cover a lot of games here at MMORPG.com. We cover as much MMORPG news as we can but we have expanded coverage to fit in with the evolving nature of what online gaming is and, frankly, to pay the bills.

Look, I was ready to defend you if he was bringing out the whole "Why do they cover console games" or "Why is Path of Exile on the game list" when you guys clearly list it as an ARPG and not an mmorpg.

But that's not what he did. He showed games that are clearly not MMORPGs, that you list as MMORPGs. He's not saying "Why do they have these games in the game list" rather, why are you listing them as MMORPGs when they clearly arent?

This thread wouldn't have even been made if they were properly labeled. In Destiny's case. Your pick. MOFPS or FPS. It isn't an MMOFPS though. Even more so in the case of Soul Worker and Vindictus.

I couldn't have said it better than Kyleran. Time's change, sure, but massively will never mean 8-12 people per map period.
    [Deleted User]KyleranYumeTsukaiVyntGobstopper3Dkjempff

• Rudedawg007Rudedawg007 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Personally I do not care if "games are changing"; I'd rather they developed a sister site for all of these other "games" I come here for MMO's.

Not rpg's, not pay to win browser games, and whatever else they have been throwing into the soup.

Agree with the poster 110%!
    SBFordturinmacleod
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    There are two different questions:

1. What sort of games should mmorpg.com cover? and...
    2. What makes a game deserve the MMO category.
    Question 1 is easy: whatever the fuck they feel like covering. This has changed over the years and we, the regulars here, like it this way.

Question 2 is a whole different story and around here it's the topic that never ends... my friends.
    SBFordKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited May 2018
    Personally I do not care if "games are changing"; I'd rather they developed a sister site for all of these other "games" I come here for MMO's.

Not rpg's, not pay to win browser games, and whatever else they have been throwing into the soup.

The games list sorts by whatever kind of game you want to see.

And just for an example:

News since Thursday:

LOTRO x2
    FFXIV
    Bless x2
    WoW x4
    Star Trek Online
    TERA x2
    ESO
    GW2
    Star Citizen
    MapleStory 2 x2 
    Black Desert 
    Neverwinter
    Champions Online
    Ascent: Infinite Realm x2
    Trove
    Crowfall
    Closers
    SWTOR
    Wild West Online
    APB Reloaded (with Fallen Earth included in the piece)
    Riders of Icarus
    Blade & Soul
    World of Speed
    Lineage 2 Revolution

In addition to all of the above:

LoL
    a general Blizzard piece that includes WoW
    Sea of Thieves
    Heroes of the Storm x2
    Conan Exiles, though it is an in-between x2
    Warframe
    Path of Exile
    Anthem
    PUBG
    DayZ

Other:
    3 hardware reviews -- gaming headsets

Which list is longer? That's just 3 days' worth.

Oh yeah...and we do have a sister site: GameSpace.com. Never heard of it or visited? And you wonder why we put other-than-MMORPG news here. 

sschrupp[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    1st thoughts on this thread............

This again?
    SBFord[Deleted User]

Funny story, they actually have a sister site called GameSpace.com.

I don't think many people visit it, not sure why, maybe they mislabel social apps and include them as games, wouldn't surprise me.

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    SBFord said:

*sighs*

I love how you seem to get upset about this, yet ALWAYS feel the need to comment and get angrier.
    Gobstopper3D
    Asch126 said:
    SBFord said:

*sighs*

I love how you seem to get upset about this, yet ALWAYS feel the need to comment and get angrier.
    Even more fascinating is how off point her reply is.....
    YumeTsukai

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I don't know why people care about this. 

I like having news about other games on this site. I'm not so stupid that I don't already know what is or isn't an MMO.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    edited May 2018
    Honestly, given how many people play MMOs like single-player or very small group games, why not include all kinds of games that can have 100 or so per server in them? Survival games do. Battle royale games do. Even lobby-based games do. The lines have blurred hugely.

I dunno. I like both reading about and covering all kinds of games. We've kept the scope here pretty narrow, tbh. 

We're trying to expand the categories on the Games List and on the featurette slider images by labeling them as what they are.

And, once again, it's adapt or die. 
    IceAgeAlbatroesKidRisk[Deleted User]NephethSovrathKyleran

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    "Many years ago..."

That nailed it. This is the present. Even if we like it or not, is..happening ! So yeah , no more MMO's like "Many years ago.." . I suggest get used with , or .. change sides !
    SBFordNephethSovrath

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!